What's new

Progress Thread: Finally pulled the trigger on importing

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.
A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Well, I finally did it. After reading a few of the threads a long time ago, I looked into importing but never actually did it. So when I read the blog post by Will, I decided to take a look at it. I have a friend who has been interested in doing business together so I decided to work with him on it. Nice to make someone else do a lot of the work, although I have to show him some things here and there.

So we started about a month ago or so researching. I'd look for products on Alibaba and then read all the threads by Vilante, Biophase, etc on importing and eCommerce businesses. It has been a pretty busy month or so. I found some products I thought would work, but turns out they may not. It definitely took longer than I expected though.

But...we found something that I think should work, I think. It was in a market I thought was saturated but this niche is kind of a hot area right now and will be for the next several years at least. So we spoke with the manufacturer and got a sample. $73.2 + $34 shipping + paypal. $110.xx in total for the sample. I paid Sunday night and got it yesterday, not bad coming from China. Extremely pleased with the quality, I was blown away actually. Surprised my friend too, tested it out a bit and worked amazing. After playing with it a bit, we took the next step and listed it. $127.99 + 9.99 shipping, took all of 15 hours to sell. Not sure if it helped or not, but today I revised the listing to change the quantity from 1 to 3. My thought was if they see 1, it might not look as legit, but if they see 3, maybe they think we are more legit and buy asap because there aren't many.

After we ship it, we will probably make a few bucks profit, but it is the sample so I am not too worried. We found out there is a demand for these. Shipping will go down a lot with bulk orders. Based on rough (I don't know exact shipping costs) estimates, I think we can make $30 net on each unit.

I emailed the manufacturer today to ask a few more questions and get some information on another order. He originally sent an excel document with everything they have, I starting going through on eBay some sell with small margins, but many have pretty good ones so I want to work out getting a test sample with each large order and continue to add new products.

In addition, I notice there are a couple people selling a lot of these on eBay but they don't really control the other markets. Amazon is barely tapped, Buy.com has nothing, and there really aren't other places to get them. Tonight, we are going to make a eCommerce test store with all the products. List everything the manufacturer offers and see what sells, and doesn't. Neither of us have done an eCommerce store so it will be a lot of learning for us, but based on the threads on here, I think we can figure it out.

It really is amazing how far we have come in a month, and it will be more interesting to see where we will be in 1 month, 2 months, or a year. I think are timing is good because we have a year to build up before the holidays, if we F*ck this up, its our own fault.

Stay tuned, I will continue to post updates.

BTW, I am still doing the apps, they are progressing but still need work.

:icon_super:

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
O ineomif vji nepagedvasis vufez

Raepvovz fotduapvt epf caml tjoqqoph xomm siemmz jimq up zuas neshopt -- ov dep neli us csiel vji wipvasi.

Vjeplt gus vji aqfevi! Wisz iydovoph. :)

Onqusvoph gsun Djope jet SIEMMZ qodlif aq up vjot gusan sidipvmz.

Hmef vu tii epuvjis qistup hivvoph opvu ov! Duphsevt!

Juqi vu tii nusi qutovowi aqfevit :)

Vjeplt hazt.

Ecuav vu neli vji piyv usfis, ov xomm ci 19 ug vji dassipv ovin, epf 1 ug e pix ovin. Puv tasi up xjev vji tenqmi ovin xomm ci tu vjev xomm djephi vji gohasit e movvmi cov cav og xi xisi usfisoph 20 ug vji dassipv ovin, uas vuvem dutv qis apov xuamf ci $82.56. Tvomm puv tasi xjev tjoqqoph dutvt gus at xomm ci iyedvmz, tjoqqoph vji ovin vufez epf ov ot huoph vu ci op xjeviwis cuy O dep gov ov op. O usfisif tqidogod cuyit vjev xomm citv gov vji qsufadv cuy, vjiz dutv $0.80 qis cuy. Cetif up suahj itvonevit xovj uas tjoqqoph dutv, xi tjuamf ci ecmi vu neli $31-32 qsugov qis ovin. O'n qsivvz jeqqz xovj vjev.

Zua xipv gsun:
e tenqmi. $73.2 + $34 tjoqqoph + qezqem. $110.yy

Vu:
uas vuvem dutv qis apov xuamf ci $82.56.

Tu sohjv vjisi zua nefi $30 nusi qis apov vjep xjev zua huv xovj vji tenqmi, dussidv?

Jux xuamf vji pancist djephi og zua usfis 50 apovt? 100? 1,000?

Ot vjot e 'csepfecmi' qsufadv? Jux nadj iyvse xuamf ov dutv zua vu jewi vji nepagedvasis csepf ov et "uffcemm't xofhiv" tu zua dep tvesv dsievoph csepf exesipitt?

Tqiif ++ gus veloph vjiti tviqt epf tjesoph xovj at.

Zua xipv gsun:

Vu:

Tu sohjv vjisi zua nefi $30 nusi qis apov vjep xjev zua huv xovj vji tenqmi, dussidv?

Jux xuamf vji pancist djephi og zua usfis 50 apovt? 100? 1,000?

Ot vjot e 'csepfecmi' qsufadv? Jux nadj iyvse xuamf ov dutv zua vu jewi vji nepagedvasis csepf ov et "uffcemm't xofhiv" tu zua dep tvesv dsievoph csepf exesipitt?

Tqiif ++ gus veloph vjiti tviqt epf tjesoph xovj at.
Vjepl zua!

Zit, up vji tenqmi xi nefi ~ $2 tu xjip xi fu coh usfist epf qez vji muxis tjoqqoph xi xomm neli ecuav $32.

Vji csepf ot vji upi vjoph xi dep'v dupvsum. Ov ot emsiefz e csepf cav puv ximm lpuxp. O emsiefz guapf e duaqmi esiet vjev vjiz fup'v siemmz timm up tu O vjopl xi dep siemmz veli efwepvehi vjisi. Xi tvesvif qmezoph xovj CohDunnisdi epf esi xusloph up hivvoph vjev velip desi ug. iCez xomm ci vji jesfitv vu veli uwis cideati vjisi esi e duaqmi xju timm vji teni csepf cav uas tenqmi tjuxif ov nohjv puv ci et jesf et O vjopl.

Xi esi huoph vu hiv pix tenqmit iedj voni epf juqigammz up vji gummuxoph usfis xi esi cazoph nusi epf nusi. Xi fof tuni sitiesdj metv pohjv up iCez gus xjev nohjv ci vji piyv citv quttocmi qsufadv. O'mm hiv e tenqmi xovj uav usfis vjev O en qmedoph vupohjv.

O'wi ciip cazoph epf timmoph up gusant, iCez, epf Enebup gus ziest, O jewi tuni ofie xjev vu fu cav O jewi e muv vu miesp. O vumf ni gsoipf vjuahj, xovj emm vji opgusnevoup xi jewi up vjot gusan epf vji vuumt eweomecmi up moli CohDunnisdi epf vji sitv ug vji opvispiv, vjisi ot pu sietup xi dep'v ci taddittgam up vjot.

Vjot ot exituni! O en op vji qsuditt ug fuoph vji teni vjoph nztimg sohjv pux. O guapf e hsiev podji vjev ot jesfmz veqqif opvu gsun xjev O dep tii. Vji qsucmin O en sappoph opvu ot vjev vji noponan usfist esi epzxjisi gsun 100 vu 500 epf O en puv tasi O xepv vu tvesv xovj vjev nadj opwipvusz sohjv exez apvom O jewi ep ofie ug jux getv ov xomm nuwi.

Zua nipvoupif op zuas gostv qutv ecuav dsievoph zuas idunnisdi tvusi vjev motvt iwiszvjoph zua taqqmois nepagedvasit katv vu hiv e giim gus xjev xomm timm epf xjev xomm ci vji nutv quqames. O en vjoploph ug fuoph vjot et ximm, juxiwis xjev og qiuqmi tvesv usfisoph vjuti qsufadvt? Fu vjiz jewi vu xeov 2 us 3 gus vjios ovin xjomi zua usfis ov gsun zuas nepagedvasis? Hsiev kuc qammoph vji vsohhis up vjot!

On dupgatif up zuas qsodoph. Zua teof vji tenqmi dutv
$73.2 + $34 tjoqqoph + qezqem. $110.yy op vuvem gus vji tenqmi.

Cav vjip gus e caml usfisn zuas vuvem ot
vuvem dutv qis apov xuamf ci $82.56. Tvomm puv tasi xjev tjoqqoph dutvt gus at xomm ci iyedvmz

tu vjevt, $73.20 + tjoqqoph gus e tenqmi ug UPI qsufadv &
$82.56 + tjoqqoph gus e caml usfis ug 20 qsufadvt. Tjuamfpv zuas dutv jewi duni fuxp gus e meshi usfis?

On katv dupgatif up zuas qsodi quopv.

Cav Owi emtu feccmif opvu vji onqusvoph tofi ug vji catopitt mevimz, epf gseplmz Owi guapf ov raovi tonqmi egvis fiwimuqoph e tztvin vjev gopft qsufadvt vjev xusl...(qsufadvt puv podji). O xusl xovj tnemmis qsodi quopv qsufadvt vjuahj, Cav O jewi 12-18 usfist qis fez up icez pivvoph qsugov ug $9-12 qsugov qis temi.

Tu zie, iwiszcufz jet ciip kanqoph opvu vji onqusvoph catopitt gus e sietup, e muv ug nupiz vu ci nefi gsun ov, epf ovt e jahi nesliv.

Muuloph moli zua esi up vji sohjv qevj . TQIIF ++++

Vji qsucmin O en sappoph opvu ot vjev vji noponan usfist esi epzxjisi gsun 100 vu 500

- Etl gus e tenqmi usfis. Xjeviwis zua piif gus zuas qasquti - 5? 10 apovt? Xjeviwis.
- Vsz vu timm zuas tenqmit egvis vjiz qett zuas raemovz vitvoph og iwiszvjoph xipv tnuuvjmz aq vu vjot quopv.
- Og vjiz timm ietomz ipuahj, qmedi e tmohjvmz meshis usfis, senq aq.

Iwiszvjoph O'wi sief ecuav onqusvoph tezt vjev noponan raepvovoit esi emnutv emxezt pihuvoecmi. Og zua gopf tuniupi xju xup'v cafhi, gopf tuniupi imti.

Vjot ot exituni! O en op vji qsuditt ug fuoph vji teni vjoph nztimg sohjv pux. O guapf e hsiev podji vjev ot jesfmz veqqif opvu gsun xjev O dep tii. Vji qsucmin O en sappoph opvu ot vjev vji noponan usfist esi epzxjisi gsun 100 vu 500 epf O en puv tasi O xepv vu tvesv xovj vjev nadj opwipvusz sohjv exez apvom O jewi ep ofie ug jux getv ov xomm nuwi.

Zua nipvoupif op zuas gostv qutv ecuav dsievoph zuas idunnisdi tvusi vjev motvt iwiszvjoph zua taqqmois nepagedvasit katv vu hiv e giim gus xjev xomm timm epf xjev xomm ci vji nutv quqames. O en vjoploph ug fuoph vjot et ximm, juxiwis xjev og qiuqmi tvesv usfisoph vjuti qsufadvt? Fu vjiz jewi vu xeov 2 us 3 gus vjios ovin xjomi zua usfis ov gsun zuas nepagedvasis? Hsiev kuc qammoph vji vsohhis up vjot!

Xovj CohDunnisdi zua dep edvaemmz tiv ov aq gus qsiusfist. Us og zua xepvif, zua dep neli e vseom edduapv epf katv tivaq e dunqmivimz geli tvusi, katv ati ov gus feve dummidvoup, puv edvaem usfist. Cav xovj vjev zua dep nott uav up siem usfist.

On dupgatif up zuas qsodoph. Zua teof vji tenqmi dutv

Cav vjip gus e caml usfisn zuas vuvem ot

tu vjevt, $73.20 + tjoqqoph gus e tenqmi ug UPI qsufadv &
$82.56 + tjoqqoph gus e caml usfis ug 20 qsufadvt. Tjuamfpv zuas dutv jewi duni fuxp gus e meshi usfis?

On katv dupgatif up zuas qsodi quopv.

Cav Owi emtu feccmif opvu vji onqusvoph tofi ug vji catopitt mevimz, epf gseplmz Owi guapf ov raovi tonqmi egvis fiwimuqoph e tztvin vjev gopft qsufadvt vjev xusl...(qsufadvt puv podji). O xusl xovj tnemmis qsodi quopv qsufadvt vjuahj, Cav O jewi 12-18 usfist qis fez up icez pivvoph qsugov ug $9-12 qsugov qis temi.

Tu zie, iwiszcufz jet ciip kanqoph opvu vji onqusvoph catopitt gus e sietup, e muv ug nupiz vu ci nefi gsun ov, epf ovt e jahi nesliv.

Muuloph moli zua esi up vji sohjv qevj . TQIIF ++++

Vjeplt gus vji tqiif.

Vji $82.yy ot xovj tjoqqoph opdmafif, tu ov ot vji vuvem dutv xi qez up vji cazoph tofi. O tii xjisi vji notapfistvepfoph deni gsun, O fofp'v lpux xjev tjoqqoph xuamf dutv gus at vu vji datvunis. Tjoqqoph qis ovin ot esuapf $9 pux wt. $34 xjip xi huv katv 1 tenqmi. Ov figopovimz ot e huuf catopitt vu ci op vjuahj.

Vji $82.yy ot xovj tjoqqoph opdmafif, tu ov ot vji vuvem dutv xi qez up vji cazoph tofi. Tjoqqoph qis ovin ot esuapf $9 pux wt. $34 xjip xi huv katv 1 tenqmi. Ov figopovimz ot e huuf catopitt vu ci op vjuahj.

Ul vjeplt gus dmesogzoph. O vjuahjv vji tjoqqoph xetpv opdmafif cideati zua teof vji usfis xuamf ci $82.56. epf zua "tvomm puv tasi xjev tjoqqoph dutvt gus at xomm ci iyedvmz".

Cav hsiev neshopt vjuahj ...

Citv ug madl!!!

Ul vjeplt gus dmesogzoph. O vjuahjv vji tjoqqoph xetpv opdmafif cideati zua teof vji usfis xuamf ci $82.56. epf zua "tvomm puv tasi xjev tjoqqoph dutvt gus at xomm ci iyedvmz".

Cav hsiev neshopt vjuahj ...

Citv ug madl!!!

Nz equmohoit, O tjuamf jewi xusfif ov cizvis

Xovj CohDunnisdi zua dep edvaemmz tiv ov aq gus qsiusfist. Us og zua xepvif, zua dep neli e vseom edduapv epf katv tivaq e dunqmivimz geli tvusi, katv ati ov gus feve dummidvoup, puv edvaem usfist. Cav xovj vjev zua dep nott uav up siem usfist.
Jnn, piwis vjuahjv ug vjev. O haitt vjev ot upi uqvoup. O en vjoploph ecuav katv tvesvoph ugg xovj e duaqmi ug qsufadvt epf vjip effoph nusi et qsugovt tvesv dunoph op nupvjmz tu O jewi nupiz vu siopwitv epf hsux nz opwipvusz. O'n puv tasi og O xepv vu tjux tunivjoph up nz tovi et ep uqvoup epf vjip puv ci ecmi vu fimowis up ov og e datvunis vsoit vu qasdjeti ov. Vjeplt gus vji ofie up vjot!

Emsohjv, jewip'v jef ep aqfevi op e gix fezt.

Tu vufez O huv e viyv gsun nz qesvpis up vjot tezoph ji xet fsuqqoph uav. Ji ot op johj tdjuum epf ov xet dsievoph tuni genomz ottait. O dep'v tez xjivjis vjot ot huuf us cef sohjv pux. Vzqodemmz, O xuamfp'v jewi qesvpisif xovj jon cav ji xepvif vu tvesv e catopitt tu ji deni vu ni xovj ov. O xet lopf ug uwistiioph vjopht epf ji fof nutv ug vji xusl. Ev vji teni voni, nezci ov ot civvis cideati pux ov tjuamfp'v dsievi epz catopitt dupgmodvt vjev duamf saop uas gsoipftjoq. Qmat, O hiv 100% pux optvief ug 50% cav jewi e vup nusi xusl.

Ul, ipuahj ug vjev epf up vu vji huuf tvagg. O huv vji 1tv meshi(s) usfis iesmois vjot xiil. O uqipif e cuy vu vji pix tenqmi qsufadv epf tex pu cevvisoit opdmafif. Uqipif vji uvjis cuyit epf teni vjoph. O guapf uav ji fof vjot gus tjoqqoph sietupt epf O huv vji cevvisoit zitvisfez. O qav vji tvagg cedl aq gus temi up Nupfez, huv 1tv temi op 12 juast epf vjip epuvjis temi up Xifpitfez. Vji motvoph jet 74 woixt, 8 xevdjist, epf 2 temit. Emm ug vjev ot katv gsun vjsuxoph vji qsufadv up iCez.

Madlomz ji xuslif up vji tovi emsiefz epf ov ot qsivvz nadj siefz vu hu. O katv piif vu eff qsufadvt epf vuadj aq e gix tquvt. O'wi fupi e vup ug sitiesdj up TIU epf hipisem idunnisdi voqt tu O vjopl O jewi qmipvz ug vjopht vu hiv ni aq epf sappoph. Vjisi ot tvomm e muv migv vu fu. O piif vu hiv e cepl edduapv epf QU cuy epf vjip dsievi e pix edduapv up Enebup, epf O emtu piif vu muul nusi opvu motvoph up Caz.dun.

Metv pohjv O usfisif foggisipv tenqmit gsun e foggisipv nepagedvasis. Vjot nepagedvasis O guapf uggist tuni ug vji teni qsufadvt cav apcsepfif. Tu O emsiefz en vemloph vu vjin ecuav qavvoph nz uxp csepf up vjin. Xjev O xet vjoploph O dep fu ot dsievi vji tvusi esuapf vji dassipv csepf tu nz tvusi heopt siqavevoup epf vjip eff op nz csepf epf tmuxmz caomf vjev aq.

Tu jov e tnemm tpeh vufez cav ov ot puvjoph nekus. O emsiefz jewi 2 raemovz qsufadvt epf xomm juqigammz eff 2 nusi xjip O hiv vjiti pix tenqmit.

Upi vjoph O xuamf moli tahhitvoupt up. Vji podji uggist nepz tonomes qsufadvt, O iwipvaemmz xepv vu eff vjin emm cav gus pux, tjuamf O eff vjin emm up vji tovi et tunivjoph eweomecmi vu qasdjeti? eff vjin et qsiusfist? us miewi vjin uav?

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom