The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

QuitN6 Course Review

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Not sure where to put this, but I decided to try out Matt Stone's QuitN6 course. I'll use this thread to post my thoughts on it. I actually got this course so my wife and I could work through it, so she gets an idea of the stuff that occupies my brain.

The first lesson is short, a 20 minute audio lesson. 2 key takeaways are not unknown on this forum. First, you have to believe this can be done. Second, a key trait of successful people is a willingness to take action despite the fact they don't know everything.

However, there was something interesting. The course said to start small, $200 a month. To do that, it recommended setting something up where you're able to get $5 of revenue within 30 days. The claim is with that, you only need 40 people to visit. Of course conversion rates suggest you need more than that, but the point was to start small. This got me thinking, since we have a lot of people asking how to start. The answer is to start small. Don't focus on getting $10,000 a month; focus on getting $10 a month. Once you do that, start scaling.

My daughters like the Tinkerbell movie series from Disney, and the Neverbeast movie had a quote in it that has stuck in my brain:

"From a trickle to a roar."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Lesson 2 is a rather long video, coming in at about an hour. I tend to set the playback to1.6 speed to help move things along.

The content in this video is Matt's background, starting at around the time he got interested in internet bitness. A large part of this deals with him using his first site, 180degreehealth.com, as a case study. It's a typical content marketing site and thus, has the usual suspects. There's a blog, a link to a podcast, a course, an ebook, and the opportunity for a consultation. It focuses on health, which of course is one of the holy trifecta: health, wealth, and relationships.

There's a lot of details in the history and the performance of the site, but there are 2 things that really stand out to me.

First, your page needs to drive people to an action. For online businesses, an email list is an important tool, as it serves your main communication tool. Your landing page does need to have a lead magnet of some kind to get a person to give you his email. This leads into the second piece.

You don't need a blog! I'm sure people looking into online businesses have come across the advice of needing a blog to establish yourself and create trust. According to Stone, this is NOT needed, since writing a blog takes a lot of time, and the goal here is to get $5 from a person within 30 days. Rather, his advice is to spend time networking on sites that are related to your field. He talks about leaving comments on blogs and articles as a beginner's way to do this. If you do this on several high profile sites, consistently, people will notice you.

There was one other thing, but I liked how the advice is small actionable items. Rather than create a blog and churn out content, focus on building your reputation through other areas, comments, guest posts. Spend time create a useful lead magnet and focus on getting people to do what you want them to do. This won't create a billion dollar a year business, but it will get people to the goal of "$5 within 30 days".

There was one other thing, but it escapes me. When we finish watching the video, I'll update this will more info.

Remember, the smaller the step is, the greater the change you'll take it.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
We finished the second lesson, and the one thing that is sticking out in my mind is how Matt really stresses that it's not as complicated as people think to setup an online business. Many of the leading voices in this space mention about the need for a blog to build establish trust and build a tribe, but Matt's take is what you really need is a high quality product or service (which is a given), a solid landing page, and ways to drive traffic to your site.

While it does seem like he makes it sound too easy, he does mention that it might take a few months of heavy research to develop a solid offering, and that driving traffic to your site is also a challenging task, but he also says that for the latter, he'll dive into that. For the former, of course, you're on your own.

One thing that struck me was that the way this content was presented made clear the similarities between an online business and physical business. Again, this is coming from someone who's more familiar with SPI style of building a community, as opposed to setting up a virtual/physical storefront and driving traffic to people. It also help to clarify in my mind how people like Stone are able to create 5 to 6 businesses at once, as opposed to the more community based entrepreneurs who focus on a single business at a time. I think there's a trade-off between agility and longevity. People like Stone are able to quickly identify a need, build an offering, and drive traffic to it, but those sites tend to drop out after a while. People like Flynn focus on a single community, and are able to keep people coming back, but it's can be harder to pivot or identify new needs.

The other thing that struck me is the fact that both Stone and Flynn rewarded more for helping others launch a business as opposed to just launching businesses reinforced that fact that we tend to find more value in people who talk about doing work (and getting others to do it) than people who do the actual work. That's why managers are paid more than engineers.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
able to create 5 to 6 businesses at once, as opposed to the more community based entrepreneurs who focus on a single business at a time

just a heads up that you're not comparing the same things at all

you're comparing marketing offers(internet marketing) to building a business. very different things, so take that into account when you decide which route you want to go down.

quickly identify a need, build an offering, and drive traffic to it, but those sites tend to drop out after a while
= probably not a business, more likely an internet marketing arbitrage play

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
you're comparing marketing offers(internet marketing) to building a business. very different things, so take that into account when you decide which route you want to go down.

Hey, thanks for the response and the perspective. I guess I'm being a bit literal with my definition of business, which according to Wikipeidia "is an entity involved in the provision of goods and/or services to consumers". I see setting up a page to get people to buy something as a "business" because it fits that definition. I do understand your comments however, especially in terms of longevity, branding, etc. I'll have to keep those in mind as we continue watching the course.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.