The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
vulnerable post

I’m wondering if anyone here running a business has found a mindset or perspective shift to separate your emotions from the rise and falls in business?

It literally affects my mood.

Things are going well in the business, I feel good.

Things are going bad, I feel bad.

I feel that it shouldn’t be this way, and it gets very stressful to the point where I can’t think sometimes.

Does anyone have advice on dealing with this “entrepreneurial anxiety”?
As @Antifragile mentioned, you'll get used to it.

This might help too:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2022
I'm reading "The Smartest Guys in the Room" about the demise of Enron, right now, and it goes in depth into this McKinsey mentality, beyond the usual "oh they were a bunch of crooks that gamed mark to market". They were divesting the physical natural gas assets that built the company, and the human assets that knew how to maintain that equipment and deliver an actual product, because the logic was "if we wanna go long on natural gas, we can simply call the traders". Once you're aware of that mentality, you see it everywhere.
What McKinsey mentality?
Is the book worth the read?

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Mike,

It’s normal at the beginning. Because you haven’t earned the scar tissue on your brain for the roller-coaster of entrepreneurship.

• Omg, it’s going to be epic!
  • Oh shit, this isn’t working at all.
  • Wait, I got it, it’s going to be epic.
  • f*cked up, that’s the end of this one
  • No, wait, I can’t believe I didn’t think of this before. That solves the problem - we are soooo back!

Sound familiar?

All of that is 100% normal.

As time goes on, you become immune. Why? Because you train your brain to know that no matter the setback, you’ll find a solution even if it’s not visible to you at that time.

Once you have enough success stories in your own life, you will know with 100% certainty that it’ll all work out. Setbacks won’t phase you. You can just look back over your life and remind yourself how you've been through this or worse before.

(edit insert) The point here is that even if something fails within the current business, you are becoming stronger regardless. You are iterating and it'll workout overall in life. Meaning that even the worst possible news, like business is done... you'll be able to take the skills and knowledge to the next one and do it 10x better, faster! There is simply no scenario where the "bad news" is actually bad, you are doing things that are improving YOU. How can that be bad? Keep that in mind.

When in doubt - zoom out. Look at your life history, I bet you have plenty of evidence that says "you'll be more than just fine, this too shall pass".

Big wins won't feel so big either, you won't celebrate early. You'll have the experience of being humbled. Things may be going well, but you may choose to not focus on it at all, as you'll know with 100% certainty that something is going to go off the rails and you'll need your mental energy to solve the next problem.

Martial arts teaches that when faced against a force, don't push against it - redirect it to some other productive goal.

Same with business and life.
I needed that today, thank you

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
As time goes on, you become immune. Why? Because you train your brain to know that no matter the setback, you’ll find a solution even if it’s not visible to you at that time.
All that you’re saying here is mostly true and I’ve experienced the same. However… I don’t think you ever become immune. The highs are lower and the lows are higher, for sure. You get less excited, and less depressed at changes. Or at least I haven’t become immune or “antifragile” haha

To a certain extent, experiencing fear, anxiety, anger, and a whole host of other negative emotions is part of life. And sometimes seeking to put those things out just makes them worse. Even the people who try to be positive and never think negative thoughts, even they experience negativity. They just don’t let it stick.

I always like to say that I have figured out how to push through difficulties with a frown on your face, but not how to push through difficulties with a smile on your face.

There are some people who even early on in their journey are relatively immune to setbacks. Part of it is personality. How they were raised. Their internal chemistry. Call it how you will — but they just have a superpower, that is very hard to transfer. I’m high in neuroticism, as a personality trait. For me, eliminating negativity is a virtual impossibility.

Compare someone like me with @Johnny boy — we have very different personalities. I’m a whole lot more neurotic than Johnny who is more upbeat and positive. That of course comes with its own advantages — I end up being more organised, more attentive to detail, more obsessed, etc. Yet we can both achieve things and move forward. I’m not sure if we can switch either myself or @Johnny boy into each other — save some traumatic accident or change of circumstances after which you can’t predict whcih way your personality will shift.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Having the patience to wait while ppl who haven't grown up can grow the hell up and be mature has GOT to be some type of superpower... FFS!!

I'm so effing mature over here I'm about to have a hernia or grind my teeth into ash while calmly saying stuff like this, "Yes! That's what I'm talking about! Sure. Now how could that apply to your situation?"

They don't know. HOW can they not know?!? We've been discussing it and modeling it for MONTHS!

People are stupid, I hate them. I HATE THEM.

*deep exasperated sigh

Ok I love them but ffs get your head out of your a$$ and think about how your issue affects the group and then.. oh I don't know.. COME UP WITH A SOLUTION!

Rant .. over.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
All that you’re saying here is mostly true and I’ve experienced the same. However… I don’t think you ever become immune. The highs are lower and the lows are higher, for sure. You get less excited, and less depressed at changes. Or at least I haven’t become immune or “antifragile” haha

To a certain extent, experiencing fear, anxiety, anger, and a whole host of other negative emotions is part of life. And sometimes seeking to put those things out just makes them worse. Even the people who try to be positive and never think negative thoughts, even they experience negativity. They just don’t let it stick.

I always like to say that I have figured out how to push through difficulties with a frown on your face, but not how to push through difficulties with a smile on your face.

There are some people who even early on in their journey are relatively immune to setbacks. Part of it is personality. How they were raised. Their internal chemistry. Call it how you will — but they just have a superpower, that is very hard to transfer. I’m high in neuroticism, as a personality trait. For me, eliminating negativity is a virtual impossibility.

Compare someone like me with @Johnny boy — we have very different personalities. I’m a whole lot more neurotic than Johnny who is more upbeat and positive. That of course comes with its own advantages — I end up being more organised, more attentive to detail, more obsessed, etc. Yet we can both achieve things and move forward. I’m not sure if we can switch either myself or @Johnny boy into each other — save some traumatic accident or change of circumstances after which you can’t predict whcih way your personality will shift.
I will personally fly anywhere in the world to see you and Johnnyboy get into a mud fight. You'd both be half-naked. Heh.

You get to use your chess mind to lay traps in the mud pit but his followers get to arm themselves with super soakers.

That is all.

Best. Christmas present. EVER!

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
The my guy vibe test.

When anyone, friends or family included, says "my guy" or "that's a vibe" in my vicinity...

Screenshot_2024-04-22-07-40-08-19_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
634%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I’m a whole lot more neurotic than Johnny who is more upbeat and positive.
Today: Me yelling out “WHAT A F*ckING BITCH” at the top of my lungs and then after a conversation with my office admin saying “EVERYONES A F*ckING IDIOT” while I drive 30 mph over the speed limit about to punch a hole in my window while I have a resting blood pressure of 150/98 every day, and then I come home to read you write this about me.

Lmao.

I just don’t come on here much when I’m pissed off

KATO EZRA LINALA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 17, 2023
Mike,

It’s normal at the beginning. Because you haven’t earned the scar tissue on your brain for the roller-coaster of entrepreneurship.

• Omg, it’s going to be epic!
  • Oh shit, this isn’t working at all.
  • Wait, I got it, it’s going to be epic.
  • f*cked up, that’s the end of this one
  • No, wait, I can’t believe I didn’t think of this before. That solves the problem - we are soooo back!

Sound familiar?

All of that is 100% normal.

Once you have enough success stories in your own life, you will know with 100% certainty that it’ll all work out. Setbacks won’t phase you. You can just look back over your life and remind yourself how you've been through this or worse before.

(edit insert) The point here is that even if something fails within the current business, you are becoming stronger regardless. You are iterating and it'll workout overall in life. Meaning that even the worst possible news, like business is done... you'll be able to take the skills and knowledge to the next one and do it 10x better, faster! There is simply no scenario where the "bad news" is actually bad, you are doing things that are improving YOU. How can that be bad? Keep that in mind.

When in doubt - zoom out. Look at your life history, I bet you have plenty of evidence that says "you'll be more than just fine, this too shall pass".

Big wins won't feel so big either, you won't celebrate early. You'll have the experience of being humbled. Things may be going well, but you may choose to not focus on it at all, as you'll know with 100% certainty that something is going to go off the rails and you'll need your mental energy to solve the next problem.

Martial arts teaches that when faced against a force, don't push against it - redirect it to some other productive goal.

Same with business and life.
From the little experience I have , I can attest that starting a business is one of the most terrifying things, you watch your savings being wiped out with no sales , no profit, debts here and there ,soul-crushing humiliations , uncertainty 24/7. What keeps me going is the OBSESSION TO SUCCEED NO MATTER WHAT.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Today: Me yelling out “WHAT A F*ckING BITCH” at the top of my lungs and then after a conversation with my office admin saying “EVERYONES A F*ckING IDIOT” while I drive 30 mph over the speed limit about to punch a hole in my window while I have a resting blood pressure of 150/98 every day, and then I come home to read you write this about me.

Lmao.

I just don’t come on here much when I’m pissed off
I only come here when I'm annoyed. Reading what you guys say makes me happy. Hope your hand is ok.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
What McKinsey mentality?
Is the book worth the read?
The McKinsey mentality is the idea that if smart guys had a smart sounding idea that makes sense in a spreadsheet, we can ignore that the real world pure entropy, and ignore the input of the operators that have to make the the idea into a real thing in a real world.

Basically the opposite of act/adjust

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
vulnerable post

I’m wondering if anyone here running a business has found a mindset or perspective shift to separate your emotions from the rise and falls in business?

I feel that it shouldn’t be this way, and it gets very stressful to the point where I can’t think sometimes.

It's funny, when I wrote this I was sleep deprived.

After i slept and meditated for 1 hour all chaos vanished in my head.

When feeling stressed. just ask "am i just sleep deprived and my brain is blowing things out of proportion?"

Kalactose

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 21, 2022
The idea that altruism does not really exist and it's just a manifestation of the basic evolutionary instinct to ensure the survival of the human race.

How does one refute this claim?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How does one refute this claim?

Why bother? Does it make your life better? Does it give you more freedom? More happiness?

What is the point?

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States

I find that when I'm feeling anxious, more often than not something business related, it's because I have too much in my brain that I haven't allowed myself to process.

Journaling for an hour helps a lot. Just to get it all down.

Or just having a mega whiteboard session just to put everything in my brain visually into space.

Helps me to chart a path forward, tactically and emotionally.

Last edited:

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

When feeling stressed. just ask "am i just sleep deprived and my brain is blowing things out of proportion?"
Screenshot_2024-04-23-16-02-26-85_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

I know what you mean. Saw this post by Tim the other day and it was a good reminder.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I find that when I'm feeling anxious, more often than not something business related, it's because I have no much in my brain that I haven't allowed myself to process.

Journaling for an hour helps a lot. Just to get it all down.

Or just having a mega whiteboard session just to put everything in my brain visually into space.

Helps me to chart a path forward, tactically and emotionally.
Whiteboard sessions have worked amazingly well for me. I don't really journal much anymore as it doesn't work as well for me personally.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I'm so embarrassed to be Australian these days.

Elon Musk vs moronic Australian politicians that think they have some kind of right to enforce a global ban on something. Geo blocking wasn't good enough lol.

None of the major media outlets here allow commenting on their videos... Guess I'll have to go to some other place to see what the public thinks :bored:

Screenshot_2024-04-23-20-52-41-43_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
The McKinsey mentality is the idea that if smart guys had a smart sounding idea that makes sense in a spreadsheet, we can ignore that the real world pure entropy, and ignore the input of the operators that have to make the the idea into a real thing in a real world.

Basically the opposite of act/adjust
How do we explain that big companies spend millions to hire big names consulting firms who are filled with young people fresh out of MBA with no business operation experience?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Black Mirror has arrived for all of us infidels who refused the vax and refuse to put a Ukrainian flag on our profiles...

View: https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1782769796498514079

The first question that comes to my mind: why not have it shoot water instead of fire and be of use for firefighters? Maybe there's another video circulating somewhere where it's used for peaceful purposes instead of violence?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
shoot water

My guess is that a water hookup would require a tether to a water source. Flammable gas is far lighter than a gallon of water.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
My guess is that a water hookup would require a tether to a water source. Flammable gas is far lighter than a gallon of water.

Definitely. Though still, that would make much more sense. Send a robot to fight fires, keep the firefighters safe(r). Unless the robot is only fine shooting fire but not being around fire lol.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
vulnerable post

The problem is that you think feeling bad is a bad thing

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
We are living in crazy times. I've seen videos of celebrities and fictional characters parodying a rapper's incredible walkout onto the stage.

I thought I would dig into it since it would be a good laugh.

I fed the AI one photo of me.

Within five minutes, it gave me this.

View attachment 0423.mp4

It's choppy and uncanny at points, but I can't imagine where this tech will be in five years. I have no idea how people will regulate fake news.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
It's choppy and uncanny at points, but I can't imagine where this tech will be in five years. I have no idea how people will regulate fake news.
The people who care about getting factual news will pay for the news, like they used to in the old days.

Having "verified factual news by actual reports who were there and saw it happen" will be an big value add worth paying for.

For the overwhelming majority who will remain happy to consume questionable news headlines in a social media feed... it's going to be very easy for unethical actors to manipulate them and we will see some wild stuff happen as a result.

It does bring to mind censorship of "unverified" news outlets as a possible solution.. but then is the solution worse than the problem?

I have no answers, but it is going to be challenging things to figure out.

Last edited:

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Definitely. Though still, that would make much more sense. Send a robot to fight fires, keep the firefighters safe(r). Unless the robot is only fine shooting fire but not being around fire lol.
A firetruck hose shoots 120 gallons of water per minute.

The robodog would not be able to carry that much, and if it was tethered, it wouldn't be able to go very far before hte tether became too heavy.

But, they would be awesome for search and rescue, put half a dozen of them into a building and they can run around and find survivors quickly, identify problems etc allowing for faster rescue.

---

Converted an old Wordpress blog to Hugo. No more updating plugins, things breaking etc etc. Super simple offline writing for posts. And it's fast as f**k. Wish I did this years ago.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
How do we explain that big companies spend millions to hire big names consulting firms who are filled with young people fresh out of MBA with no business operation experience?
Same revenue model as Big Law, but without court outcomes as a hard measurable.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
The first question that comes to my mind: why not have it shoot water instead of fire and be of use for firefighters? Maybe there's another video circulating somewhere where it's used for peaceful purposes instead of violence?

Because America doesn't work that way. The first thing that came to mind to these entities was how can it be weaponized not how they can help rescue me from a burning building.

Good intentions and striving for properness and utopia? Help people? LOL! Huh? WTF is that?

The present Government is not and does not correspond to the original or intended form of Government. People are being fooled.

America is some kind of bizarre global proxy Government that hates it's citizens.

I have way more things to say but I don't wanna get canceled in some secret government computer system. LOL

I don't pledge allegiance to fake flags.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.