The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Converted an old Wordpress blog to Hugo. No more updating plugins, things breaking etc etc. Super simple offline writing for posts. And it's fast as f**k. Wish I did this years ago.
Never heard of Hugo. Thanks for the heads up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Never heard of Hugo.

The "world's fastest framework" is the world's slowest to set up and get running with a bunch of command line BS and required library installations. This is why wordpress dominates, one click, installed. Your average Joe ain't messing around with Git and command line BS.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
The "world's fastest framework" is the world's slowest to set up and get running with a bunch of command line BS and required library installations. This is why wordpress dominates, one click, installed. Your average Joe ain't messing around with Git and command line BS.
It does take some setting up. Unfortunately the biggest hinderance is the support files are all written for programmers who have decades of experience and are almost useless for the average person. Not github is required, although you wouldn't know that from the "help" files, and you only need two command line instructions to use it.

Fortunately most of the setting up can be done by downloading a free theme (there are a ton of great ones) and using a plain text editor.

random_username

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 19, 2024
Never heard of Hugo. Thanks for the heads up.

They are in a completely different class of product, Hugo is a framework and a tool, Wordpress is a general purpose platform. Hugo is only serving static files and Wordpress is fully dynamic. That means that if you want to do some dynamic stuff in Hugo, you have to use some external APIs.

If Hugo, Jekyll or something similar fits your use case, the investment upfront pays itself back in the long run. But it's though to educate the market on these things. Wordpress is complete opposite IMO.

For non technical users, it's probably better to use some managed services like Squarespace, Webflow or something similar. They are pricier in the beginning, but they provide the fewest steps between final product. Wordpress should be left where it deserves, which is history.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
For non technical users, it's probably better to use some managed services like Squarespace, Webflow or something similar. They are pricier in the beginning, but they provide the fewest steps between final product. Wordpress should be left where it deserves, which is history.

I don't see any real competition for WordPress. It's the only platform that you can fully control. Squarespace, Webflow, etc. trap you into their service and you're at their mercy.

random_username

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 19, 2024
I don't see any real competition for WordPress. It's the only platform that you can fully control. Squarespace, Webflow, etc. trap you into their service and you're at their mercy.
If you need something quick you use some of the SaaS website builders. If you want something that will serve the content secure and fastest way possible, you have to use some kind of static file generators/caching/CDN. If you want full control, you have custom websites for that. If you need something specific in your industry, you probably have some specific off the shelf industry tool.

There are two things in favor of Wordpress. With no tehnical knowledge, you could theoretically host it cheapest short term, for about 5€/m. And there is a lot of stuff online since it's been used for a lot of years. Basically it seems cheap and easy short term. But long term, when you add up server maintenance, paying someone to deal with overcomplicated Wordpress code so he can add your newsletter signup at the right place. All the plugins and themes, paying someone to connect all those random things together, then paying someone to fix what the last guy broke. And what happens if you later want to migrate to something else, but you are scared someone will mess up SEO because you don't trust Wordpress developers? IMO Wordpress traps you as well, it's just not as obvious.

If I'm not mistaken from reading some of your other posts, you are in a blog/writing space for some time, right? So you probably have more knowledge then average person on Wordpress. If you really try to evaluate it technically from a perspective of someone who doesn't have that investement, Wordpress is not a good choice in most situations. Imagine a person who starts a blog for the first time tomorrow, without WP, and he never learns how insane it is setup SEO plugin, "Faster Wp" plugin, disable comments, etc every time.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
But long term, when you add up server maintenance, paying someone to deal with overcomplicated Wordpress code so he can add your newsletter signup at the right place.

With the right theme (like Kadence), it's as easy as drag and drop. And I never needed any server maintenance or anything like that. Granted, I've never had a site with more than maybe 100k visitors a month.

Imagine a person who starts a blog for the first time tomorrow, without WP, and he never learns how insane it is setup SEO plugin, "Faster Wp" plugin, disable comments, etc every time.

Yeah in that case I can understand using something way simpler. Though I still don't see any sensible blogging alternative. I liked the simplicity of Ghost but Ghost is impossible to customize.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
If you need something quick you use some of the SaaS website builders. If you want something that will serve the content secure and fastest way possible, you have to use some kind of static file generators/caching/CDN. If you want full control, you have custom websites for that. If you need something specific in your industry, you probably have some specific off the shelf industry tool.

There are two things in favor of Wordpress. With no tehnical knowledge, you could theoretically host it cheapest short term, for about 5€/m. And there is a lot of stuff online since it's been used for a lot of years. Basically it seems cheap and easy short term. But long term, when you add up server maintenance, paying someone to deal with overcomplicated Wordpress code so he can add your newsletter signup at the right place. All the plugins and themes, paying someone to connect all those random things together, then paying someone to fix what the last guy broke. And what happens if you later want to migrate to something else, but you are scared someone will mess up SEO because you don't trust Wordpress developers? IMO Wordpress traps you as well, it's just not as obvious.

If I'm not mistaken from reading some of your other posts, you are in a blog/writing space for some time, right? So you probably have more knowledge then average person on Wordpress. If you really try to evaluate it technically from a perspective of someone who doesn't have that investement, Wordpress is not a good choice in most situations. Imagine a person who starts a blog for the first time tomorrow, without WP, and he never learns how insane it is setup SEO plugin, "Faster Wp" plugin, disable comments, etc every time.
Speaking as someone who has no coding skills...

Wordpress allows me to run several websites that I am able to create, host, and adapt to my needs without help from anyone. I have never paid a Wordpress developer. I have never encountered all that overcomplicated Wordpress code. I have never suffered from broken code. When I want to add a newsletter signup, I go grab the embed code for the signup form and pop it into my site. (Honestly, I WOULD be scared that someone would mess up my SEO if I were to migrate to a different platform, but I'm not migrating so #shrug.)

Here's the limitation I run into with this: Since I don't know how to customize anything on my own, I have to rely on templates or themes or plugins. So I just choose the tool that gets the job done and go on my merry way. I have a standard set of plugins that I install when I put up a new site (for site security, etc) and then I do research before installing any new plugins to make sure it's from a reputable source.

I've run into certain constraints with this, sure. There's certain things that I haven't been able to do because I don't know how. So far, they've all been one-off things that are not that important. But it definitely gives me more control than something like Squarespace or Wix, and I've never run into a downside that would warrant looking for an alternative.

On the flip side - If I was a web developer, I could easily see myself feeling frustrated with Wordpress, feeling like my wings were clipped, feeling like there was all sorts of bloat and waste, etc. However, I'm blind to all those issues and ignorance is bliss in this context. My sites are working well enough to serve my purposes, so I'm with MTF on this one, at least for my use case -

I don't see any real competition for WordPress.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Random thought, but Europeans make you feel more connected and welcome than Americans do.

In what sense? I've always found Americans extremely casual while Europeans in general aren't as open right away.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
In what sense? I've always found Americans extremely casual while Europeans in general aren't as open right away.
Just a random observation between workplaces. The current contract I'm on. Everyone makes sure that they all feel connected and get to know one another. Not trying to make a big generalized statement. Between workplaces this place everyone is connected and speaks to each other. It's been a nice change of scenery.

Last edited:

random_username

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 19, 2024
Speaking as someone who has no coding skills...

Wordpress allows me to run several websites that I am able to create, host, and adapt to my needs without help from anyone. I have never paid a Wordpress developer. I have never encountered all that overcomplicated Wordpress code. I have never suffered from broken code. When I want to add a newsletter signup, I go grab the embed code for the signup form and pop it into my site. (Honestly, I WOULD be scared that someone would mess up my SEO if I were to migrate to a different platform, but I'm not migrating so #shrug.)

Here's the limitation I run into with this: Since I don't know how to customize anything on my own, I have to rely on templates or themes or plugins. So I just choose the tool that gets the job done and go on my merry way. I have a standard set of plugins that I install when I put up a new site (for site security, etc) and then I do research before installing any new plugins to make sure it's from a reputable source.

I've run into certain constraints with this, sure. There's certain things that I haven't been able to do because I don't know how. So far, they've all been one-off things that are not that important. But it definitely gives me more control than something like Squarespace or Wix, and I've never run into a downside that would warrant looking for an alternative.

On the flip side - If I was a web developer, I could easily see myself feeling frustrated with Wordpress, feeling like my wings were clipped, feeling like there was all sorts of bloat and waste, etc. However, I'm blind to all those issues and ignorance is bliss in this context. My sites are working well enough to serve my purposes, so I'm with MTF on this one, at least for my use case -
Well, you already invested the time, and if it works for you both, then that's the only thing that matters. I'm definitely scarred by stuff I've seen, all the examples in my previous post are real events that happened haha

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Insane, LVMH exporting more than France’s entire agricultural industry

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
So someone went to try a lesser version of the Undercover Billionaire:

Didn't know why everyone on Reddit was jeering at this failed experiment. Using it as an opportunity to
hit at the rich...hit at anyone with the slightest advantage in life...healthcare of the lower classes...well everything.

Reading and watching his stuff in more detail...it seems he actually did make progress.

Resold furniture on FB, and used the proceeds to buy the devices and office he needed to leverage on his real biz strength: social media in just a few weeks. He only stopped the project when his dad got cancer.

It doesn't feel like a failure to me. Life just came in the way.

I know some folks have no choice but to keep fighting in business while personal fires are burning in the background. But I recognise not everyone can do that.

EDIT:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbvTBTY4VZg

Comments are one of a kind.

My only thought is...if you got any minimal advantage at all like good health, some savings and whatnot, use it to better your lives. Because most people won't.

Last edited:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Careful, our government will try to take Mj to court over this
Rumour has it he didn't have a gun, he just returned a positive RAT test for covid

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Rumour has it he didn't have a gun, he just returned a positive RAT test for covid
I heard it’s not even the police, just the CFMEU bosses visiting a member who needed help with something

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I heard it’s not even the police, just the CFMEU bosses visiting a member who needed help with something
Nah its covid, he just created a new hotspot, cops are sticking around with assault rifles to make sure people isolate.

No mask = straight to jail

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
So someone went to try a lesser version of the Undercover Billionaire:

Didn't know why everyone on Reddit was jeering at this failed experiment. Using it as an opportunity to
hit at the rich...hit at anyone with the slightest advantage in life...healthcare of the lower classes...well everything.

Reading and watching his stuff in more detail...it seems he actually did make progress.

Resold furniture on FB, and used the proceeds to buy the devices and office he needed to leverage on his real biz strength: social media in just a few weeks. He only stopped the project when his dad got cancer.

It doesn't feel like a failure to me. Life just came in the way.

I know some folks have no choice but to keep fighting in business while personal fires are burning in the background. But I recognise not everyone can do that.

EDIT:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbvTBTY4VZg

Comments are one of a kind.

My only thought is...if you got any minimal advantage at all like good health, some savings and whatnot, use it to better your lives. Because most people won't.
I would think very highly of him for trying.

Used to be skeptical of such shows and his failure at least proved that the show is for real.

I really think shark tank is a better show. You want to see average people executing and taking things to the next level.

The whole idea of trying to make a million from broke to rich is just too “get rich quick” for my liking. In reality is more like grand and perseverance for years until things suddenly explode.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Insane, LVMH exporting more than France’s entire agricultural industry

That's just crazy.

The funny thing is that if you were to take the real cost of manufacturing these "luxury" goods (not the made-up price to make them luxurious) then it would probably be 1% of the real value of agriculture.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
That's just crazy.

The funny thing is that if you were to take the real cost of manufacturing these "luxury" goods (not the made-up price to make them luxurious) then it would probably be 1% of the real value of agriculture.
Urban professional above average income ladies form quite a steady pool if buyers.

Some limited editions, I was told, could price appreciate.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
My dog attacked a skunk and he literally mouthed it up and shook it like a rag doll for 3 minutes before the stench forced him to drop it. He started foaming at the mouth and nearly had a heart attack after. It was pretty scary stuff.

We spent hours trying to clean him and he stunk up the house for months.
They now train dogs to avoid rattlesnakes by putting a shock collar on the dog, going for a "walk" and "discovering" a rattlesnake in a cage. When the dog approaches the snake, the snake starts rattling, and they shock the dog. After a few encounters, when the dog hears the rattle, they run back to the owner. I wonder if this could be done with skunks.

Googling "business to train my dog to avoid skunks" gives me zero businesses. I smell an opportunity here.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Oct 16, 2022
A few short lessons of 5 years of half-failed entrepreneurship. I'll use "I wish" instead of "Don't" as what didn't work for me may work for you.
  • I wish I hadn't thought it was easy.
  • I wish I hadn't built anything that required a co-founder.
  • I wish I had tested ideas earlier on.
  • I wish the business had used value-skew rather than innovation.
  • I wish I hadn't waited as much as I did.
  • I wish I had gone further in some ventures.
  • I wish I hadn't done anything with zero chance of scale.
  • I wish I hadn't hoped for a project to succeed but acted on earlier on the obvious fact that it was going to fail.
  • I wish I hadn't read or thought that much and had done more instead.
  • I wish I had been more courageous sometimes.
  • I wish I had read case studies rather than theory.

On the other hand:
  • I'm happy I built so many projects as they taught me skills, even if they didn't lead anywhere.
  • I'm happy I just didn't give up and got a corporate job.
  • I'm happy with the risks I've taken.
  • I'm happy with the many people I've met along the way.
  • I'm happy I've had the freedom to just do what I wanted to do without having to care about any other responsibilities.
  • I'm happy I didn't think what anyone thought about me.
  • I'm happy I've never hesitated to start something even if a lot of projects ended up unfinished.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.