The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • The Fastlane Forum Is Going Exclusively Private with Paid Access

After 17 years of my personal dedication to a freely accessible forum, the time has come for this forum to become a private, limited access community. To read more, visit the announcement thread.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
449%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
FYI: The forum's AI has been updated to the latest/newest API which is why it has popped up in the last hour.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Laaz17

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Mar 3, 2023
What do you think is the best way to learn about marketing? A book? An online lesson? Other?

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
What do you think is the best way to learn about marketing? A book? An online lesson? Other?
Doing it. What’s involved will vary wildly in the specifics between products, services and mediums.

Goodfella999

My biggest regret is not starting sooner
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 29, 2022
Fort Worth, TX
Im a member of exotic car sales for people privately selling Lambo's, Ferrari's etc. I noticed many of them are "CEO's of Medical companies." In the U.S, this must be an almost recession-proof business model with how unhealthy we are and the amount of people needing more and more treatments. Id imagine the medical industry in general is going to continue growing.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
449%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

#1) Learning.
#2) Newsletters.

Books have too much lead time from writing to publication and often its advice is outdated by the time it gets to print.

Marketing is far too dynamic to get any real valuable information from a book.

Yes you can learn the basics, but as to "what is working now" you are best to discover that on your own, or subscribe to a marketing newsletter that shares recent case studies.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 3, 2013
I bought a Whopper w/cheese (cold), 12 piece mozzarella fries (cold), and Hershey pie slice. $14. I haven't eaten fast food in a long time, I was expecting something like $7-$8 max. The kid in the drive though was doing an impression of an Indian woman. Weird. Occasionally, I need to remind myself why eat sandwiches. I think I'm good for another 2-3 years.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I see marketing as finding out what people want to buy, how to sell it to them profitably, and doing it.

Don't mistake marketing for advertising, which is about getting your offer in front of people.

I think the best way to learn marketing is to have a go, then watch a few YouTube videos once you're in motion.

Is there anything specific you're trying to learn?

Oh, and here's my thoughts on learning:

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Is there any value to lifestyle and leadership coaches? Has anybody here hired one and had great results?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
All of the above and more

Learn the basic principles from classic books

Then learn specific up to date techniques in exactly what you want to do from a skool group, course, newsletter, YouTube etc

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 3, 2013
Is there any value to lifestyle and leadership coaches? Has anybody here hired one and had great results?
If you're having trouble making a decision, have you tried the Weighted Average Decision Matrix ? It is described in this book:

The-Millionaire-Fastlane-2nd-Anniversary-ed-Paperback-9780984358106_375bfebd-1e1b-4fad-8b14-965abd4ea641.305fb4230f7ae2fc6d4a68809960b70b.jpeg

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Find eyeballs and put your message in front of them, then see how many people come vs. how many people respond vs. how many people buy. Then see how much it cost you to reach those people & how much you made.

That's it, that's the whole game.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
449%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In the U.S, this must be an almost recession-proof business model with how unhealthy we are and the amount of people needing more and more treatments. Id imagine the medical industry in general is going to continue growing.

And the demand for medical services is only going to explode, and it won't be because Americans are fatter than ever. Look at the top two job getters... worthless government and more supply for more sickness.

Worse, it appears Americans have no desire to implement real change, (Sorry Ozempic don't count) including a Congress unwilling to address it.

Worse, there will be massive medical supply shortages as well incoming, starting with the doctor themselves.

In the next 1-5 years, you don't want to get sick and become part of this system.

Don't deprioritize your health because the system has already deprioritized you.

1717858560726.png

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Read biographies of leaders.

Basically the repeated pattern is be the first to take any shit and last to enjoy any reward.

Encourage others when shits happen. Life and business are tough. A leader cannot afford to be cynical in front of the people he or she is leading.

Put the your eggs in the basket and set the example.

And also if you believe that others are moving in the wrong direction you need to shout it out loud and steer it in the right direction. This is very important which I was doing it wrong because I didn’t want to take the responsibility of being wrong. No one knows exactly where the future is going to be but it is always better the steer the ship in the direction that you believe to be right and bear the consequences of being wrong than to keep quiet which is much worse.

Do the right and don’t try to please or listen to everyone. Take the risk of being wrong. Because if you try to listen and please everyone you are guaranteed to be wrong and gets shitty result and be blamed anyway.

Avoid the marketing guru perception of leader which is all about creating smoke without the fire.

Nevah Lucky

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jun 4, 2024
And the demand for medical services is only going to explode, and it won't be because Americans are fatter than ever. Look at the top two job getters... worthless government and more supply for more sickness.

Worse, it appears Americans have no desire to implement real change, (Sorry Ozempic don't count) including a Congress unwilling to address it.

Worse, there will be massive medical supply shortages as well incoming, starting with the doctor themselves.

In the next 1-5 years, you don't want to get sick and become part of this system.

Don't deprioritize your health because the system has already deprioritized you.

View attachment 56320
How are there more jobs, but more unemployed? Are the jobs just deficient in relative size to the market? Have there always been not enough jobs per people or is it mainly because students just graduated from college flooding the work force with freshly unemployed people?

ErickMendez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 14, 2023
Curious how people here deal with the sense of loneliness. do you guys think entrepreneurship can be lonely at times since it can go against the majority of peoples beliefs?

Would love to know people’s thoughts on this.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Curious how people here deal with the sense of loneliness. do you guys think entrepreneurship can be lonely at times since it can go against the majority of peoples beliefs?

Hang out with other business owners, chat with them, don't hide in your cave, don't avoid people

Nevah Lucky

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jun 4, 2024

We’re all aiming for that sweet sweet gold pot at the 5 mile mark of our rainbows. You’re taking that short sprint with us, not the masses running a marathon. Keep your chin up and continue with the pig headed determination I know you can muster.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Curious how people here deal with the sense of loneliness.
It's not lonely when you're having fun. Some of you can probably play video games alone for weeks and never feel lonely because you're enjoying the process of encountering challenges, getting to the next level, beating the next boss, etc.

So the real challenge isn't loneliness. The challenge is re-framing what you perceive to be work. If you can learn to enjoy or perhaps even love the journey, it feels like a game. The whole thing is a game.

Everyone at the higher level is "playing" their way to the top. Look at Lebron James, Kobe, Elon, Bezos, Buffett, and other big names. Did they continue for years because they needed the money? Or did they continue because the entire process was like a game to them?

Then when you've made your money, find a hobby that other rich people enjoy and immerse yourself in that world. Art, watches, exotic cars, collectibles, etc. I'm finding that I really enjoy talking to watch enthusiasts because the type of person who wears the average person's annual salary on their wrist has been through hell and back. It builds scar tissues, character, and stories.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not saying follow your passion. Usually a person's natural passion doesn't bring in money. What I'm inviting you to do is ask yourself, "What can I do to view this biz journey as fun play time?". Sometimes it's as simple as viewing it through a different lens. Or sometimes it's more complex like outsourcing the annoying stuff so you can focus on the high leverage tasks that you enjoy.

Last edited:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Ok, so who's going to buy the products that big companies make once more than 85% of the population eventually gets laid off due to AI? AI bots in an AI-driven economy?

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

Ok, so who's going to buy the products that big companies make once more than 85% of the population eventually gets laid off due to AI? AI bots in an AI-driven economy?
Simple, other companies/producers

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK

This argument (and variations) has been rolled out with every advance in technology since the Industrial Revolution.

History has shown time and time again that advancing technology, while destroying some jobs, increases the total amount of jobs.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Simple, other companies/producers
It’s not a joke @Xeon, nobody actually needs the brokies…

IMG_4798.png

So watch out, the time is running out. If you don’t start a business now you may never be able to again, as the escape velocity required will exceed the speed of light. So you’ll stay stuck a brokie… forever!

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Apr 27, 2022
United States

AI has gone through a tremendous hype cycle.

It's not going to totally uproot society, society will just change.

This is honestly a very scripted mindset.

"Oh no we'll all be peasants to neo-feudal lords!"

Grow up man, society will adapt, with both good and bad consequences.

AI has the potential for amazing things, things that will raise the standard of living for everyone tenfold.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
It’s not a joke @Xeon, nobody actually needs the brokies…

View attachment 56339

So watch out, the time is running out. If you don’t start a business now you may never be able to again, as the escape velocity required will exceed the speed of light. So you’ll stay stuck a brokie… forever!
Things will be the same, just with AI in play.

Also of course B2B spending is higher, they're a F*cking company, they have more money to spend.

Notice how the lower line dips and follows the same growth trajectory as the top one?

Companies need consumers and employees. That's a basic fact of capitalism. If it was all companies, the economy wouldn't work at all, especially if those companies were run solely by AI.

At that point, mankind would live in a relative paradise, with automation taking care of everything and people being lazy as hell.

Last edited:

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Notice how the lower line dips and follows the same growth trajectory as the top one?
Notice how on average the B2B growth is much higher than B2C if you don’t account for economic crashes?

Noticed how the entire 2008 crash was pretty much caused by reduced business spending? The dip you noticed is COVID.

We’re moving to an economy that will be dominated by businesses, not mindless consumers. Why do you think our rulers are thinking about depopulation?

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Notice how on average the B2B growth is much higher than B2C if you don’t account for economic crashes?

Noticed how the entire 2008 crash was pretty much caused by reduced business spending? The dip you noticed is COVID.

We’re moving to an economy that will be dominated by businesses, not mindless consumers. Why do you think our rulers are thinking about depopulation?
Read the bottom half.

What is this purely AI world going to look like? Describe it to me.

It sounds like science fiction.

The world is nuanced and chaotic, and there are many factors you're not accounting for. These swift generalizations do nothing.

It's all hype, and it's all propaganda.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Read the bottom half.
I did, but it has nothing to do with what I’ve argued. I’ve been saying that B2B will play a much larger role and consumers a smaller and smaller one — not that AI will replace all people (which I don’t believe). Companies will still be run by people, and work will be executed with the help of AI where possible.

I don’t believe letting people be “lazy as hell” is a good thing though. They add a drag on the rest of society and we have to carry them on our backs.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Feb 11, 2019
This argument (and variations) has been rolled out with every advance in technology since the Industrial Revolution.

History has shown time and time again that advancing technology, while destroying some jobs, increases the total amount of jobs.
Exactly! Worrying that AI will take all the jobs now is like field workers saying (about 100 years ago) that machines and tractors will replace everyone working in the agricultural industry. In reality, human power (and brain) is still much needed, just utilized more efficiently. E.g. you don't have to dig with a shovel anymore, now a machine does it for you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.