The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • The Fastlane Forum Is Going Exclusively Private with Paid Access

After 17 years of my personal dedication to a freely accessible forum, the time has come for this forum to become a private, limited access community. To read more, visit the announcement thread.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Really need your opinion!

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

Dokish

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 8, 2024
Kyiv, Ukraine
Hi everyone!
This is my first post so firstly want to introduce myself. I'm 21 years old student from Ukraine (graduating this year). And I decided some years ago that won't work 5/2 (etc.) for all my life. But didn't really like the idea to start a business. After reading the first MJ's book (less than month ago) and a lot of stories and posts here from different cool people (really like a lot of you even knowing that spent here not so much time, but I still read enough) decided to run it. So I am diligently developing and looking for opportunities.
But Ukraine is going through hard times and its economy, therefore, too. So I doubt whether I should try to do something here without knowing the possible outcome, which does not depend on me, or try to create a business aimed at a different market (without knowing the needs and companies)??
P.S. I'm here not to complain about the situation. I really want to succeed and ready to spend time studing the market of another country or region if needed. That's why I want to here your thoughts and suggestions about it. Hope this doesn't sound strange or politically oriented (hate discussing politics).
Thank you!)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Personally I think it is difficult to understand the market in another country without being there.

UK/US/Can/Aus/NZ probably have an understanding of each other better than most other country combinations I can think of.

Yet Best Buy and Radio Shack and Walmart failed dismally in the UK. And Tesco (largest grocers in UK) failed miserably in the US. Target (US grocers) failed in Canada. Starbucks failed in Australia.

The list goes on.

Some of it is due to timing eg just before the 2008 financial crash, but a massive factor was the lack of understanding of cultural nuances and it's the latter that is hard to understand from a room in another country.

They understand the broad strokes but miss the little things, unwritten things.

That was my roundabout way of saying; if nothing else go travelling to other countries to have some appreciation at the very least.

Lastly, there is nothing wrong in starting something in Ukraine.

Think about if you and some friends wanted to start a band.

You wouldn't wait until you could go to US or UK would you? (Other countries are available :smile:)

You would start where you are. You would learn many things that give you the knowledge to take with you eg Hiring a van, having the right equipment and knowing how to set it up efficiently, booking gigs and rooms etc etc.

So that is no different from the examples that failed above.

They knew exactly how to operate. It was the failure to make the small adjustments that scuppered them.

Dan

Last edited:

Dokish

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 8, 2024
Kyiv, Ukraine
Personally I think it is difficult to understand the market in another country without being there.
Hi, Dan.
Thank you so much for your reply! Totally agry with you here.
Other countries are available :smile:
Unfortunately, for us only through the Internet now :)

But still, really appriciate your suggestion and will try to extract all possible knowledge and experience from the situation I have

Icesummer

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 19, 2024
Hi everyone!
This is my first post so firstly want to introduce myself. I'm 21 years old student from Ukraine (graduating this year). And I decided some years ago that won't work 5/2 (etc.) for all my life. But didn't really like the idea to start a business. After reading the first MJ's book (less than month ago) and a lot of stories and posts here from different cool people (really like a lot of you even knowing that spent here not so much time, but I still read enough) decided to run it. So I am diligently developing and looking for opportunities.
But Ukraine is going through hard times and its economy, therefore, too. So I doubt whether I should try to do something here without knowing the possible outcome, which does not depend on me, or try to create a business aimed at a different market (without knowing the needs and companies)??
P.S. I'm here not to complain about the situation. I really want to succeed and ready to spend time studing the market of another country or region if needed. That's why I want to here your thoughts and suggestions about it. Hope this doesn't sound strange or politically oriented (hate discussing politics).
Thank you!)
Hey Dokish, your poster really resonates with me!

I'm also into starting my own business and found the Millionaire Fastlane super inspiring.

I get what you mean about not wanting to work a 9-5 forever. Sure, Ukraine is in a tough spot right now, but it's going to be rebuilt, and that's a fantastic opportunity of social entrepreneurship. What do you think?

GrungiX

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jun 9, 2024
Hey Dokish, your poster really resonates with me!

I'm also into starting my own business and found the Millionaire Fastlane super inspiring.

I get what you mean about not wanting to work a 9-5 forever. Sure, Ukraine is in a tough spot right now, but it's going to be rebuilt, and that's a fantastic opportunity of social entrepreneurship. What do you think?
A country with a lot of problems is a country with a lot of opportunities. Why not try to solve some local problems, no one else understands better than you?

erikson24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 18, 2024
Hi everyone!
Thank you!)
Hello Dokish.
In my opinion if you're just graduated, your first experiences will be very influencial on you. That's why I think you should choose a safe country to start. Given the amazing amount of stress there will be in your project, I would say a war zone is not a perfect place to start. Try to move abroad.

Dokish

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 8, 2024
Kyiv, Ukraine
Hi, Icesummer. Thanks for the reply! Really hope you'll succeed on your way to the dream)
Sure, Ukraine is in a tough spot right now, but it's going to be rebuilt, and that's a fantastic opportunity of social entrepreneurship. What do you think?
We can't know for sure, but hope so. And I understand that it still worth a try.

Dokish

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 8, 2024
Kyiv, Ukraine
A country with a lot of problems is a country with a lot of opportunities.
Hi, GrungiX. Can't not to agree with you here. But there are a lot of nuances, restrictions and prohibitions too due to the current situation. So it gets only more difficult but more interesting at the same time to start. And I'll surely try.
Thanks for the reply!)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi everyone!
Thank you!)
Can you sell some service online? Selling a service gets you up and running quick, and you become more competent and valuable delivering it. You can also then find patterns in your clients and their problems and find options to divorce your time from your income.

Dokish

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 8, 2024
Kyiv, Ukraine
Given the amazing amount of stress there will be in your project, I would say a war zone is not a perfect place to start. Try to move abroad.
Hello erikson24.
You are right here, but the problem is I can't move abroad legally since I'm over 18 years old (and according to the law, I can’t just travel abroad during martial law.). This is the reason the only way I can explore another market is though the Internet. Which is not so effective, as @Stargazer mentioned.

Dokish

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 8, 2024
Kyiv, Ukraine
Can you sell some service online?
Hi Andy Black,
Thanks for the reply!)
What a simple, but at the same time difficult question for me. I've never thought about selling service because understand that my education (linguistics) is practically useless on the market (it's flooded with many online/offline schools, apps and tutors, many of which have few students due to oversaturation of the market). Nowadays, meeting an English-speaking guy on the street is a common thing, which was surprising 10, or even 5 years ago.

So I need or either become ultra-unique in this field or master new needed on the market skiills. It wouldn't difficult for me (mastering new skill), because I like developing and learning new things/skills. But the problem than is to understand which skill is at least needed now and has a potential. Should I think in this direction?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi Andy Black,
Thanks for the reply!)
What a simple, but at the same time difficult question for me. I've never thought about selling service because understand that my education (linguistics) is practically useless on the market (it's flooded with many online/offline schools, apps and tutors, many of which have few students due to oversaturation of the market). Nowadays, meeting an English-speaking guy on the street is a common thing, which was surprising 10, or even 5 years ago.

So I need or either become ultra-unique in this field or master new needed on the market skiills. It wouldn't difficult for me (mastering new skill), because I like developing and learning new things/skills. But the problem than is to understand which skill is at least needed now and has a potential. Should I think in this direction?
Think of people to help and problems to solve rather than skills to learn.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hello Dokish.
In my opinion if you're just graduated, your first experiences will be very influencial on you. That's why I think you should choose a safe country to start. Given the amazing amount of stress there will be in your project, I would say a war zone is not a perfect place to start. Try to move abroad.
I agree with this.

Especially if OP is a man there is real risk of being drafted when tension escalates.

Stay alive and get to another country through any means.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hello erikson24.
You are right here, but the problem is I can't move abroad legally since I'm over 18 years old (and according to the law, I can’t just travel abroad during martial law.). This is the reason the only way I can explore another market is though the Internet. Which is not so effective, as @Stargazer mentioned.
Be creative.

Find your way, to make some money.

It is always the poor and unconnected that are forced to go to the front.

Icesummer

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 19, 2024
A country with a lot of problems is a country with a lot of opportunities. Why not try to solve some local problems, no one else understands better than you?
Couldn't agree more GrungiX!
I think that the ongoing war creates a lot of uncertainty, but after all we have to cope with a VUCA landscape. At the end people that want to do business in Ukraine are simply betting on the victory of Ukraine.

What I think more problematic is the corruption level in Ukraine. This is a country that didn't have a lot of time to do the reforms to make it easier to do business. By experience, I know that countries that don't have a strong entrepreneurial environment, have also problems with bureaucracy, unbearable taxes, and corruption. For sure, they aren't in short of smart people that want to do business.

Still, it's some weeks that I'm starting to explore different entrepreneurial opportunities in Ukraine. Let's see!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.