The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reddit r/WSB bankrupts Hedge Fund using Robinhood

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
May 30, 2017
Do you guys think Robinhood will be banned and trading restrictions will get tighter from now on? It seems that retail investors are manipulating the markets just like wall street hedge funds.

If I understand this correctly: wall street hedge funds get some of their own medicine, and don't like it?

:rofl:

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
The AMC story is great.

This is an amazing moment in history where old-school, traditional institutions have ignored the power that technology has given the common person. The signs were there and ignored, institutions undervalue, misjudge, and scoff at the little guys, and then all hell breaks loose and traditional media spend the next several weeks asking dumb questions, completely oblivious to the existence of Stocktwits, Parler, Robinhood, etc.

Large institutions still operate as if the last 10 (20?) years of technology innovation never happened. That's how elections get influenced, capitols get rioted, and hedge funds become the target of short squeeze plays, bankrupting them in less than two days.

We have unbelievable knowledge and tech at our fingertips. We have the same tools the pros do. A small group of dedicated people can use tech to make a statement, to do the right thing, (to do the wrong thing sometimes) and it seems like we're just awakening to what the hell is really going on.

Seth Godin once said "I believe we are wasting the chance of a lifetime" by using it to watch dumb cat videos and make memes. He's right.

What if a small, dedicated group of people used tech to help people live in a beautiful way? Seems like that's happening all over the place.

I've read posts about people making enough money on the GME momentum play to be able to pay for their sister's Lyme disease treatment, to pay their student loans, to get their mom out of a shitty apartment and buy her a house. I've read about Udemy empowing someone to level up their skills and earn more than they could ever hope for. How YouTube helped someone who didn't have a job transform themselves into an expert and a six-figure life. I heard about how podcasting took a young woman from zero to six figures in 16 months.

And people on this very forum do miraculous things and overcome enormous odds every day. Using tech. The power, the knowledge, the tools. All there for us. If you've got that great idea, now is the time to start.

This is the chance of a lifetime.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Oh, so now they want a hearing?

LOL. Politicians and Wall Street are two leaves on the same branch.

GMAFB.

View: https://twitter.com/SenSherrodBrown/status/1354881250922819585?s=20

Don't be fooled ... this is to protect Wall Street, not to help us poor retail traders.

The government is not on your side.

And this will be used to usher in NEW RULES that only hurt us small traders and make markets less accessible, especially for new traders like those on WSB.

Ugh.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I think there is a misconception on WSB a bit.

The Reddit community as a whole mostly consists of millennials.

In particular, WSB are much, much smarter than they put on. It's like a bunch of us at a Summit totally cracking jokes and talking shit all while talking about a serious subject lol.

The "bunch of kids in a basement spending stimmy money" actually works in their favor, and was the same thing that totally destroyed Tesla shorters. Under-estimation is quite the edge in a fight. If you don't think some of the PPP or EIDL money hasn't funneled or is inside Tesla stock (or in other stock contributing to the overall equity market exploding), then you may want an awakening, and I don't think kids in a basement are doing that.

Honestly; I think the "kids in their moms basement" narrative was dropped by the big guys awhile back when they realized it wasn't.

What I like about WSB is that their BS filter is on another level, and things will get called out for what it is and ain't very fast.

With all that said....

THIS IS A.... MOVEMENT. NEVER go against a movement lol, as its one of the most powerful things in the world. I think probably most of us here would like to give a huge middle finger to the big guys.

Although it is and will be a pump and dump when its all said and done; the mechanisms of it is extremely unique and never seen before.

Most think; these WSB guys will fall flat on their face.. will they though? I mean, to be honest; most of these guys got in around $30-50. Yes, you see lots of comments about $100-150, but even then; when this things goes to $1k.. Do you think the guys with $150 entries are the ones falling on their face?

Or will it be the media-induced greedy non-WSBer coming around trying to get in on the action buying in at $500+?

The scary part on all of this and "The Movement"? Its exposed something that can be replicated toward other highly short floated stocks. (*achem* AMC. disclaimer: I am balls deep in that from an earlier entry).

Mob Mentality: During a riot; once they see that they can burn down a building and it went successfully; they go to find another building.

Use smart stops, move them up as things move up, learn to get out when you hear average Joes actually buying the hype (and not just talking about it) because their stupider neighbors are richer cause of it, and learn to pull profits on the way up and can say "ah shit, should of held... oh well" as you turn around to smash a Pro V1x down a fairway from your new Taylormade driver.

Then you'll do fine in any bubble. The most gains are in the last stretch anyways.. and we are at the Belief stage where the doubters actually give in and "believe" and put their money in. Then Thrill, then Euphoria. Then GTFO lol.

Rinse, repeat.

$1k. then AMC.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Or if you're feeling speculative, the only (safe) option play on this are spreads to invalidate the high implied volatilies ... I'd go with long put spreads or short call spreads, namely because Gamestop is a turd of a company.

Out of curiosity I tried to buy a long call spread on AMC and was denied -- first the spread, and then the legs.

You can only buy long calls ... TDA has restricted any kind of "sell to open"

Unbelievable, considering my account is seven figures with full portfolio margin.

Having these option strategies disallowed is like going to war with sticks and stones. They've ensured that the only bets to be made, are the sucker bets ... that's like taking away the double down in blackjack, except when dealt cards 12 thru 16. Gee thanks!

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Stopping the regular folks from trading this is a shit show, but also predictable. The funny thing is, this kind of movement doesn't even matter if you have an actual strategy for making money in the public markets. Buy an out of the money put option if you have to, or buy some shares for justice... then go back to trading normal options and stocks. Or better yet, trade on the volatility and make money every few minutes.

Out of all the news in this story, what really kills me is that hedge funds are actually losing significant money on their short positions. Is this 1992? No, it is not. Are they George Soros? No, they are not. That should be the test for whether or not you should take a short position with no insurance (and for all I know GS may have had insurance).

For example, Lemony Fresh Wealth Consulting, or whatever it was called, lost 30% of 12 billion on the positions they took. Seriously, f@#& anyone who calls themselves a financial manager and screws up that badly. I hope no teachers were planning to retire on that money. This is precisely why I will never trust money to a mutual fund, hedge fund, con artist, or MLM yoga pants seller. Who appoints these experts?

Shorting, and just holding the short position on a stock, without any options to hedge it, is like buying a mansion at the beginning of hurricane season with 120% financing, with your vital organs as additional collateral, and choosing not to insure it because the wind isn't blowing right now. But not only that! If the hurricane destroys the mansion, you might also owe someone infinite dollars because you had a contract to deliver a mansion of any arbitrary value based on arbitrary market rates to them at some later date. BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! You also decide to taunt the market by bragging about the huge positions you've taken, which make you vulnerable. Good idea.

A professional fund manager? We need better professionals apparently. Once you figure out how options work, you should never be in the position this hedge fund is/was in.

Musical interlude.

Meanwhile, as people risk tens of thousands or more, each, buying or shorting this stock, or taking inscrutable options positions... others have controlled thousands of shares through (normal, simple) options. Our risk is limited, as long as we're long or understand how spreads actually work (and have a sophisticated enough brokerage apparently). Why are people jumping into markets before they understand them? I don't get it. This is the definition of dumb money... acting when you don't even know what the consequences to yourself will be. Having no idea about outcomes. And it seems to be everywhere. They write books on this stuff! We could just read the books!

Ahem. Anyway, the hedgies were dumb idiots. They are also amoral bastards for crying to Daddy about the mean kids who took their friends' money away when they threw that money in the street. Most of the people going nuts over these hyped stocks probably aren't any more sophisticated, and they have the disadvantage that Daddy doesn't care about them because they aren't part of a PAC. Robinhood is a limp noodle boiled in polluted tap water.

And in the morning, you will go back to your normal trading and investing activities, which have little or nothing to do with GME, AMC, etc. Because why? You don't need pump and dump schemes to make money in public markets! You just need a normal set of strategies, informed by your knowledge, experience, and objectives. Stick to the plan.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Every comment by @lludwig in thread:

I don't see it that way.

@csalvato...

Serious question.

When the FBI breaks down your door and arrests you for "d0m3stIc t3rr0rIsm" (because for the last 9 months, CNN and FOX has brainwashed the public that BTC owners are terr0ri5sts) what help is it that your digital wallet is secure? Will the FBI stand down and say, "Oh, you have a secure digital wallet! Let me take these handcuffs off ya!"

If the government wants to jail you for "financing d0m3stIc t3rr0rIsm" and then throw you in jail for it they can. And then they book a hearing with a crooked judge ensuring you are squeezed, what good does a digital wallet with $10M BTC stored in some ditch help you? Sure your wallet is safe.

But that doesn't help you sitting in Leavenworth

Coinbase has a record of all my crypto transactions.

When I made trades on Binance and Bittrex, they asked for my drivers license. To suggest that some central power with all the spying resources cant do a simple origin trace ($USD > BTC) and find (or plant) some nefarious evidence that BTC is being used to "finance d0m3stIc terr0rI5m" is not paying attention. When I buy BTC, the funding comes from my linked bank account, it isn't a cash transaction in some back alley.

You can also bet that the IR.S will make damn sure that transactions are taxed -- tax evasion is ALREADY punishable by jail-time.

If BTC transactions are made illegal, the security of your coins is irrelevant. All they need to do is prove that you own it and have made transactions (I'm assuming originating from a Federally Insured bank account?) -- then it's off the slammer.

Right now the biggest threat to digital assets is WHO they threaten.

And guess who that is?

Your trusty government.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I know one thing... They've been calling us.. All of us on this forum... "unsophisticated" investors for years. What they mean is people poorer than them, people who don't have multi-billions, people that are "dumber" than them because we don't have billions, people who in no way can make smart due diligence on stocks and investing, gamblers,...

They lose entirely on one trade buying 140% short shares, 40% more than shares thats even available. Then get a $2B bailout from their rich friends to double down on a losing position to only lose it all again. Then complain, bitch, wine, and yell fraud. We manipulated the market! But.... how do you buy 140% of something that doesn't even exist? If things went their way and that additional 40% short that doesn't even exist in supply destroyed someone's life; its all good?? Sounds like someone over-leveraged and got exposed... sounds like a free market at work to me.

So... Who's really the "unsophisticated" one?

If there's one thing that this whole information super highway has been since it's birth... its that...

The internet is undefeated.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So let's say you share your reasoning behind your fully backtested, mathematically based trades with a group of people (a flashmob if you will) - at what point does the money become stupid?

Fair question...

But why on earth would I do that?

That is, unless I wanted to manipulate the trade and use the mob to my advantage?

If I told the mob my strategy, suddenly those option prices get bid up (or down depending on long/short) and I lose the edge.

If I wanted to manipulate the trade, I'd make it -- then I'd hit the message board and pump it up, playing the other side it ... the classic pump and dump. If I bought a stock, then it pays to use the mob to bid it up.

That said, I'm also talking about options since that is my bread-n-butter, I rarely buy long stock unless for dividend purposes -- so there is a bit of apples/oranges divergence there.

at what point does the money become stupid?

Anytime you trade because "X, Y, and Z" said so, because ultimately, those people have already made the trade and likely based it on yesterday's mathematical conditions.

I've been guilty of it many times in the past (we've all been dumb money at some point!) which is why I tend to stay off stock message boards.

Now I trade purely based on current mathematical conditions. And it has served me wonderfully because it has stripped out the emotion, the commentary, the biases, the memories, the opinion, and the noise.

Math never lies, people do.

RemySheppard

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Jun 15, 2017
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Out of curiosity, I have joined the WSB group at Reddit. There are a few really good posts out there to read. What is sad and stunning are the reactions of the members' to those posts. It is actually horrifying. Some post a relatively good article on the recent pump and dump stock $BB and the reactions are stunning. Stunning in a negative way. Full of cursing, naming, acting childish.
I don't know if anyone has said this yet because I haven't read the whole thread, but dude that's all of Reddit.

It does not matter what subreddit, or what you post, 90% of the people there will just shit on you continually because you dared to voice your thoughts.

You're wrong, and some european manlet who wears 6 masks and rides a bicycle to his job at the soy milk factory who knows better than you will explain exactly why you're wrong, and that's just the way of things.

I avoid Reddit altogether for that exact reason.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
@theag No, you're definitely angry. Your assumptions in every reply are definitely incorrect as well. Some people live just to argue. I don't have much time these days, so I am going to bow out of this one.
Angry or not, he's pretty upfront about it, right?

1612300580692.png :rofl:

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I am just throwing this out there. If you had millions of dollars in your crypto wallet and your government is getting to the point where they are going to lock you up over it, what the hell are you still doing in that country?

The world is a big place, and I think that a primary reason for even gathering wealth is to allow for the ability to choose where you want to live. Tyrannical governments (Canada is getting awfully close to this) automatically put it in the "don't live here" list. There is a slim-to-none chance of me living in Canada full time in the next 5 years due to the way this country's government is heading.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Robinhood is a joke, anyone who trades on it deserves to be the punchline.

As I wrote way back in 2009, when dumb money shows up, the end of the cycle is near.

And wow, dumb money is everywhere.

I'm with @lludwig -- these folks have no idea what they're doing and they think this is monopoly money. Worse, they think the market always goes up because that's all they've witnessed in their short 20 years of life.

HODL! The market always goes up! (Just like real estate!)

They might as well be juggling lit plasma torches.

It won't end well.

This is about uncovering the collusion between the media, wall street and the brokers.

I already thought the collusion was common knowledge.

If you poke the bear, don't expect the bear to go into hibernation.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Sure they do. They shorted Tesla for years
That didn't work for them.

And... Tesla, while innovative, is not some well oiled machine. It is bitcoin, with a car and a guy named Elon, the way its valued.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I sold my hodling, but like a degenerate I bought back in, I'm hodling again. 200 $AMC, to da m00000n.
I don't know what's going on here, but I just made a +EV bet with a friend who is super into this. He seems to think AMC is going to $1000 before 2022. So I bet him a decent amount of money that it will not. Tomorrow I take the amount of the bet and buy AMC with it. If AMC hits $1000, I'd gladly pay my friend the bet. If it doesn't he pays me the bet amount which pays for the shares I bought. Easy money.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Do you guys think Robinhood will be banned and trading restrictions will get tighter from now on? It seems that retail investors are manipulating the markets just like wall street hedge funds.

Here's a quick rundown of what happened this Friday. Someone read through trading reports. They found out that Melvin Capital an investment firm was shorting the Gamestop stock and would close their position this Friday. Word spread around in multiple online trading forums the main one been reddit. The forum users decided to buy Game Stop stocks to prevent the Capitol Firm from collecting on their closing position. The stock goes from around $50 to over $150 in one day. The hedge fund lose their position and goes belly up.

Last edited:

Martzee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 6, 2020
Denver, Colorado, United States

Here's a quick rundown of what happened this Friday. Someone read through trading reports. They found out that Melvin Capital an investment firm was shorting the Gamestop stock and would close their position this Friday. Word spread around in multiple online trading forums the main one been reddit. The forum users decided to buy Game Stop stocks to prevent the Capitol Firm from collecting on their closing position. The stock goes from around $50 to over $150 in one day. The hedge fund loses their position and goes belly up.

No, there is no reason for banning RH. They are not doing anything illegal. Well, unless the SEC changes the rules. But it is not RH doing anything, it is the members of the community at Reddit who got together and started pumping the market, particularly GME, and now BB and NOK. So, you cannot ban a brokerage house for their clients being at Reddit and pumping the markets.

Out of curiosity, I have joined the WSB group at Reddit. There are a few really good posts out there to read. What is sad and stunning are the reactions of the members' to those posts. It is actually horrifying. Some post a relatively good article on the recent pump and dump stock $BB and the reactions are stunning. Stunning in a negative way. Full of cursing, naming, acting childish. I have not seen a single post-reaction that could add any value. All these people there presented so far were ignorance and stupidity. It indicates that many just join the frenzy with a complete lack of understanding of what they are doing, riding the bandwagon, and maybe, in the end, they will be the lucky ones. But most will just end up holding the bag.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Taking a naked short position was stupid. Never take a position that can ruin you if it goes the wrong way... that should be common sense. I'm sure there are some among the reddit gang who are making the same mistake. For the love of all that's holy use options and insure your positions if you can't afford the maximum loss.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
giphy.gif

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Watching GME stock is like watching one of those bicycle pedal bars loaded with drunk people swerving down the street. You think it looks like fun and want to get in on it, then you remember that in 3 blocks you'll be puking.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Oct 26, 2012
I never said it was legal, it's also hard to prove with the public info available to us who's the firm.

That's one legit function of government yet surprise failed miserably.

Yet retail trying to be judge, jury, and executioner. Good luck with how that will work out.
So let's take a step back.

What's happening now: Funds try to short companies to death. They fail, due to market plays by retail investors. As a fall back they're now using their connections / leverage to halt trading so that they can close out their positions.

So you'd prefer wall street to be the judge, jury and executioner?

I find it truly repulsive. Very eye opening though. Clear evidence (for those that we're doubting) that the media is completely biased and effectively just a propaganda machine for the overlords.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
That knowledge is not as common as you think.

Then they aren't paying attention.

This is no different than the censorship issue, just powerful people trying to maintain control.

That said, it is bullshit.

It isn't fair to the small guys and it is infuriating.

But has it ever been fair?

You're witnessing powerful interests fighting back against those who have successfully organized an opposition party, except this is in finance.

This is no different than social media platforms removing people because they don't like their anti-establishment message.

Now the game has moved into finance.

Enjoy, reap what has been sowed.

This is not correct.

I don't understand.

Was this video supposed to provide me with some information I didn't already know?

There's a reason why I don't short stocks and why I insure my short calls.

I realize my 30 years of market experience doesn't measure up to the 2 year pros on WSB.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.