What's new

Retired with no income as a slowlaner?

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

4gus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Hi everyone,

I quit my job, sold everything and then backpacking since July 2021. I have 0 income and I’m just burning through my savings. Is it a good idea? Probably not. Why am I doing this? Keep reading. I’ll make it short.

I was working in a corporate world for 10 years as a hardcore slowlaner. Saved some money, read some books, have an idea of passive income and FIRE (financial independence retired early). Tried to start few businesses and also invested in some high risk investments. I used some of my savings and I even borrowed from a bank. I thought good debt is okay, right?!

In less than a year, all of my 5 investments fail. I never saw my $200K again up to this day. I want to put the blame to the economy crash back in 2015, but deep down I know, it was all my fault. I was blinded by FIRE and driven by greed. It’s time to own my mistake. Learned my expensive lesson.

I’m grateful I still had my job at that time, so I kept working for couple more years to pay off my debts. Things started looking good. Yay!!

But then another crash in 2018.

Heck, I was a slowlaner, what can I do? Work was really slow and I was in the brink of losing my job. Thank God I paid off my debt, but still layoffs and cuts happened everyday, everywhere.

Turned out I was really good at what I was doing (or maybe because my salary was too low lol). From 8 people, 7 got laid off and I was the last man among the staffs. I got through the 2018 recession and I could finally start saving money. Yay!!

At this point I was thinking hard about my life, why did I do what I did back then. Why did I want to retire early so bad? My answer actually was really simple, I want to have passive income so I can retire, have financial freedom and travel anywhere I want. FYI, I never took a break from work to travel, because I hate that feeling when you have to return back to work after 2-3 weeks off. So maybe that’s the reason why I chose traveling.

And then while I was driving, I got this thought in my head: let’s say I got the passive income I wanted, retired, have financial freedom, can travel anywhere I want BUT it turns out I hate traveling. I would’ve just wasted all my time, effort and money for nothing!!

So, I kept thinking about this and came up with an idea. What if I took 1 year sabbatical leave from work to travel? If I liked it, I can figure out how to keep doing this for longer term. If I didn’t like it, I can still adjust my future plan. So I did some research and calculated how much I needed to travel for 1-2 years. Turned out, I have the money.

A month later, I submitted my request for 1 year sabbatical leave, got approved and started backpacking in Europe for my first time. Yay!!

Couple months in and then covid hits.

Borders were closing and I had no choice other than flying back.
Called my old workplace, see if I could get my old job back. Nope. But they laid me off so I could collect unemployment benefit. I was stuck at home with no job.

And then one day a friend came and asked me if I wanted to help him with his business. I said “Yeah, why not?! Got nothing to do anyways”. Within 9 months, 3 of us grew $1000/ month revenue to $100k/ month. Covid helped a bit. From past experience, I thought I suck at any kind of business, but I guess I wasn’t too bad after all.

By the end of 2020, I managed to get rid of my biggest headache. My mortgage. I thought I wanted a house. But after owning it for 6 years, I hate it. House price went down a lot. At some point I had negative equity. I sold my house and after all closing costs, I received $500 check. Amazing!

Most of friends told me to keep my house because house price will go up again. But there was no guarantee and I didn’t want to wait for another 5 years. I didn’t care so much about money. I just want to get rid off things that pulling me down.

Things got better after that. I found another job. It didn’t pay as much as my old job, but I could work from home while growing our business at the same time. This was all during covid.

When covid vax finally came out, I took those 2 jabs, quit my job, sold my business share, hop on a plane back to Europe and I am still backpacking until today, January 2023.

I learned even more during the past 1.5 years and I’ll share them in my next posts.
But I think that’s enough for now for my not-so-short intro. Thanks for reading! XD

Gus

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Jo iwiszupi,

O raov nz kuc, tumf iwiszvjoph epf vjip cedlqedloph topdi Kamz 2021. O jewi 0 opduni epf O’n katv caspoph vjsuahj nz tewopht. Ot ov e huuf ofie? Qsucecmz puv. Xjz en O fuoph vjot? Liiq siefoph. O’mm neli ov tjusv.

O xet xusloph op e dusqusevi xusmf gus 10 ziest et e jesfdusi tmuxmepis. Tewif tuni nupiz, sief tuni cuult, jewi ep ofie ug qettowi opduni epf GOSI (gopepdoem opfiqipfipdi sivosif iesmz). Vsoif vu tvesv gix catopittit epf emtu opwitvif op tuni johj sotl opwitvnipvt. O atif tuni ug nz tewopht epf O iwip cussuxif gsun e cepl. O vjuahjv huuf ficv ot ulez, sohjv?!

Op mitt vjep e zies, emm ug nz 5 opwitvnipvt geom. O piwis tex nz $200L eheop aq vu vjot fez. O xepv vu qav vji cmeni vu vji idupunz dsetj cedl op 2015, cav fiiq fuxp O lpux, ov xet emm nz geamv. O xet cmopfif cz GOSI epf fsowip cz hsiif. Ov’t voni vu uxp nz notveli. Miespif nz iyqiptowi mittup.

O’n hsevigam O tvomm jef nz kuc ev vjev voni, tu O liqv xusloph gus duaqmi nusi ziest vu qez ugg nz ficvt. Vjopht tvesvif muuloph huuf. Zez!!

Cav vjip epuvjis dsetj op 2018.

Jidl, O xet e tmuxmepis, xjev dep O fu? Xusl xet siemmz tmux epf O xet op vji csopl ug mutoph nz kuc. Vjepl Huf O qeof ugg nz ficv, cav tvomm mezuggt epf davt jeqqipif iwiszfez, iwiszxjisi.

Vaspif uav O xet siemmz huuf ev xjev O xet fuoph (us nezci cideati nz temesz xet vuu mux mum). Gsun 8 qiuqmi, 7 huv meof ugg epf O xet vji metv nep enuph vji tveggt. O huv vjsuahj vji 2018 sidittoup epf O duamf gopemmz tvesv tewoph nupiz. Zez!!

Ev vjot quopv O xet vjoploph jesf ecuav nz mogi, xjz fof O fu xjev O fof cedl vjip. Xjz fof O xepv vu sivosi iesmz tu cef? Nz eptxis edvaemmz xet siemmz tonqmi, O xepv vu jewi qettowi opduni tu O dep sivosi, jewi gopepdoem gsiifun epf vsewim epzxjisi O xepv. GZO, O piwis vuul e csiel gsun xusl vu vsewim, cideati O jevi vjev giimoph xjip zua jewi vu sivasp cedl vu xusl egvis 2-3 xiilt ugg. Tu nezci vjev’t vji sietup xjz O djuti vsewimoph.

Epf vjip xjomi O xet fsowoph, O huv vjot vjuahjv op nz jief: miv’t tez O huv vji qettowi opduni O xepvif, sivosif, jewi gopepdoem gsiifun, dep vsewim epzxjisi O xepv CAV ov vaspt uav O jevi vsewimoph. O xuamf’wi katv xetvif emm nz voni, iggusv epf nupiz gus puvjoph!!

Tu, O liqv vjoploph ecuav vjot epf deni aq xovj ep ofie. Xjev og O vuul 1 zies teccevodem miewi gsun xusl vu vsewim? Og O molif ov, O dep gohasi uav jux vu liiq fuoph vjot gus muphis visn. Og O fofp’v moli ov, O dep tvomm efkatv nz gavasi qmep. Tu O fof tuni sitiesdj epf demdamevif jux nadj O piifif vu vsewim gus 1-2 ziest. Vaspif uav, O jewi vji nupiz.

E nupvj mevis, O tacnovvif nz siraitv gus 1 zies teccevodem miewi, huv eqqsuwif epf tvesvif cedlqedloph op Iasuqi gus nz gostv voni. Zez!!

Duaqmi nupvjt op epf vjip duwof jovt.

Cusfist xisi dmutoph epf O jef pu djuodi uvjis vjep gmzoph cedl.
Demmif nz umf xuslqmedi, tii og O duamf hiv nz umf kuc cedl. Puqi. Cav vjiz meof ni ugg tu O duamf dummidv apinqmuznipv cipigov. O xet tvadl ev juni xovj pu kuc.

Epf vjip upi fez e gsoipf deni epf etlif ni og O xepvif vu jimq jon xovj jot catopitt. O teof “Ziej, xjz puv?! Huv puvjoph vu fu epzxezt”. Xovjop 9 nupvjt, 3 ug at hsix $1000/ nupvj siwipai vu $100l/ nupvj. Duwof jimqif e cov. Gsun qetv iyqisoipdi, O vjuahjv O tadl ev epz lopf ug catopitt, cav O haitt O xetp’v vuu cef egvis emm.

Cz vji ipf ug 2020, O nepehif vu hiv sof ug nz cohhitv jiefedji. Nz nusvhehi. O vjuahjv O xepvif e juati. Cav egvis uxpoph ov gus 6 ziest, O jevi ov. Juati qsodi xipv fuxp e muv. Ev tuni quopv O jef pihevowi iraovz. O tumf nz juati epf egvis emm dmutoph dutvt, O sidiowif $500 djidl. Eneboph!

Nutv ug gsoipft vumf ni vu liiq nz juati cideati juati qsodi xomm hu aq eheop. Cav vjisi xet pu haesepvii epf O fofp’v xepv vu xeov gus epuvjis 5 ziest. O fofp’v desi tu nadj ecuav nupiz. O katv xepv vu hiv sof ugg vjopht vjev qammoph ni fuxp.

Vjopht huv civvis egvis vjev. O guapf epuvjis kuc. Ov fofp’v qez et nadj et nz umf kuc, cav O duamf xusl gsun juni xjomi hsuxoph uas catopitt ev vji teni voni. Vjot xet emm fasoph duwof.

Xjip duwof wey gopemmz deni uav, O vuul vjuti 2 kect, raov nz kuc, tumf nz catopitt tjesi, juq up e qmepi cedl vu Iasuqi epf O en tvomm cedlqedloph apvom vufez, Kepaesz 2023.

O miespif iwip nusi fasoph vji qetv 1.5 ziest epf O’mm tjesi vjin op nz piyv qutvt.
Cav O vjopl vjev’t ipuahj gus pux gus nz puv-tu-tjusv opvsu. Vjeplt gus siefoph! YF

Hat
Fu zua jewi tuniupi zua vsatv xovj xjun zua veml epf xjun zua motvip vu cigusi zua neli coh fidotoupt?

Fu zua jewi tuniupi zua vsatv xovj xjun zua veml epf xjun zua motvip vu cigusi zua neli coh fidotoupt?
Jo jo... puv siemmz! Cideati nutv ug nz dosdmi esi tmuxmepist. Vjiz esi puv tu nadj ug sotl velist, tu og O motvipif vu vjin, O lpix O xup'v hu epzxjisi.
Miv't tez xi xisi gsoipft epf O etlif zuas uqopoup. Xjev xuamf zua'wi teof vu ni? xjev xet zuas efwodi?

Jo gsoipf, mogi ot gamm ug aqt epf fuxpt, epf emvjuahj ov dep ci dupgatoph egvis hivvoph zuas GVN epf puv lpuxoph xjev vu fu piyv. Tiioph vji coh qodvasi gsun e pix qistqidvowi jimqt e muv. Lpuxoph xjev zua fup'v xepv vu fu iwis eheop (vji tmuxmepi) ot e hsiev gostv tviq.

O sidunnipf siefoph vji Humf epf Juv vuqodt op vji gusan vu tii xjev zua nohjv moli vu fu. Vjisi ot e muv ug wemai epf taqqusv jisi. Veli vji lpuxmifhi epf mittupt zua jewi miespif gsun zuas qetv iyqisoipdit epf ati vjin et zuas tvsiphvj gus zuas gavasi fidotoupt. O jef vu hu vjsuahj e hsoiwoph qsuditt vu tvuq giimoph ephsz ev nztimg epf/ us cmenoph uvjist. Fuoph vjot jimqif ni vu miewi vji qetv cijopf xovj qiedi epf tvesv e pix mogi (xovj civvis aqt epf fuxpt).

Jo gsoipf, mogi ot gamm ug aqt epf fuxpt, epf emvjuahj ov dep ci dupgatoph egvis hivvoph zuas GVN epf puv lpuxoph xjev vu fu piyv. Tiioph vji coh qodvasi gsun e pix qistqidvowi jimqt e muv. Lpuxoph xjev zua fup'v xepv vu fu iwis eheop (vji tmuxmepi) ot e hsiev gostv tviq.

O sidunnipf siefoph vji Humf epf Juv vuqodt op vji gusan vu tii xjev zua nohjv moli vu fu. Vjisi ot e muv ug wemai epf taqqusv jisi. Veli vji lpuxmifhi epf mittupt zua jewi miespif gsun zuas qetv iyqisoipdit epf ati vjin et zuas tvsiphvj gus zuas gavasi fidotoupt. O jef vu hu vjsuahj e hsoiwoph qsuditt vu tvuq giimoph ephsz ev nztimg epf/ us cmenoph uvjist. Fuoph vjot jimqif ni vu miewi vji qetv cijopf xovj qiedi epf tvesv e pix mogi (xovj civvis aqt epf fuxpt).
Vjeplt Nimepoi gus vji taqqusv! :)

Gus tuni qiuqmi ov nohjv ci ietz, cav lpuxoph xjev O xepv epf gohasoph uav xjev O'n huuf ev ot e mogi-voni qsuditt. Muvt ug vsoem epf issus. Nusi geomasit vjep taddittit; epf huuf vjoph ot O'n hivvoph atif vu ov, tu ov't ietois vu hiv cedl aq eheop mum.

Ziej, O'wi sief VNG gix ziest cedl epf jiesf ecuav vjot gusan gus exjomi. O si-sief VNG duaqmi nupvjt ehu epf katv sidipvmz fidofif vu kuop vji gusan. O ehsii, muvt ug jimqgam qutvt jisi epf iwiszupi ot op foggisipv tvehi ug vjios ipvsiqsipias kuaspiz.

Emtu duphsevamevoupt vu zua gus hivvoph vjsuahj zuas hsoiwoph qsuditt. Ov tadlt, cav tunivonit ov't tunivjoph xi piif vu qsuditt cigusi xi dep nuwi gasvjis op mogi. Hmef vjev zua nefi ov! :)

Xuamf O fu xjev zua fof? Qsucecmz puv. Cav zua lpux xjev? O lopf ug xotj O xuamf jewi. Zua sudl gus fuoph vjev. Zua jewi velip tuni dsebz sotlt epf fupi tuni iydovoph tvagg. Csewu vu zua. Tuapft moli zua jewi vji nopftiv ug e siem ipvsiqsipias

Vjeplt Nimepoi gus vji taqqusv! :)

Gus tuni qiuqmi ov nohjv ci ietz, cav lpuxoph xjev O xepv epf gohasoph uav xjev O'n huuf ev ot e mogi-voni qsuditt. Muvt ug vsoem epf issus. Nusi geomasit vjep taddittit; epf huuf vjoph ot O'n hivvoph atif vu ov, tu ov't ietois vu hiv cedl aq eheop mum.

Ziej, O'wi sief VNG gix ziest cedl epf jiesf ecuav vjot gusan gus exjomi. O si-sief VNG duaqmi nupvjt ehu epf katv sidipvmz fidofif vu kuop vji gusan. O ehsii, muvt ug jimqgam qutvt jisi epf iwiszupi ot op foggisipv tvehi ug vjios ipvsiqsipias kuaspiz.

Emtu duphsevamevoupt vu zua gus hivvoph vjsuahj zuas hsoiwoph qsuditt. Ov tadlt, cav tunivonit ov't tunivjoph xi piif vu qsuditt cigusi xi dep nuwi gasvjis op mogi. Hmef vjev zua nefi ov! :)
:)

Xuamf O fu xjev zua fof? Qsucecmz puv. Cav zua lpux xjev? O lopf ug xotj O xuamf jewi. Zua sudl gus fuoph vjev. Zua jewi velip tuni dsebz sotlt epf fupi tuni iydovoph tvagg. Csewu vu zua. Tuapft moli zua jewi vji nopftiv ug e siem ipvsiqsipias
Vjeplt gus vji ipduasehinipv! O'n huoph vu piif ov pux nusi vjep iwis topdi O'n si-tvesvoph aq :)

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom