The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reversing the effects of sitting all day

Singh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Feb 27, 2016
UK
Hi Guys

A little background, I work a slowlane job 9-5.30pm based in an office which involves sitting a lot of the time. In addition to that its a 2 hour drive each way. By the time im home my legs are tired and occasionaly mt neck a little sore.

In order to combat this, I spend my lunch hour walking around the local area, I also get up every 20-30 minutes and have a short walk around the office with some upper body strecthes inbetween. I have my chair ergonmically set and always sit with good posture.

My concerns are the effects on my health, I am really concerned about getting DVT and my posture

Anybody had any experience with this? Any ideas that anyone successfully tried?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Hi Guys

A little background, I work a slowlane job 9-5.30pm based in an office which involves sitting a lot of the time. In addition to that its a 2 hour drive each way. By the time im home my legs are tired and occasionaly mt neck a little sore.

In order to combat this, I spend my lunch hour walking around the local area, I also get up every 20-30 minutes and have a short walk around the office with some upper body strecthes inbetween. I have my chair ergonmically set and always sit with good posture.

My concerns are the effects on my health, I am really concerned about getting DVT and my posture

There are a lot of blogs or websites about exercises you can do at the office. There are also some really cool under the desk stationary bikes, where you can just pedal away while working.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Hi Guys

a cost to moving on the job too much like a contractor, and a cost to not moving all day/being stuck in the car.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I completely feel your pain. Literally.

The last two months I've done a program called Gymnastics Bodies. I hear about it on the podcast interview with Tim Ferris and Coach Summer. It's only like $75 for the fundamentals course and the exercises are super simplistic... just not easy.

I've felt better in the past couple weeks than I have in years.

Wellp... time to get in the car for another 2.5 hours... :p

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Hi Guys

Kelly Starret has a really good book about the subject. Probably the best you'll ever read. It's called "Deskbound"

It basically shows you what good posture is, how to convert to a standing desk, different positions and tricks to create a movement based environment, and fixes for pain and lack of mobility.

I'd recommend this book to anyone. It's a life saver.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
been at my office job for 3+ years now, 8 hour shift.

1)Get stand up desk, i used boxes for awhile, but now i sit again because i make up for it using the following steps
2)SPORTS
3)strength calisthenics
4)static holds, refreshes your joints and stuff with sinovial fluid. you only need 3 static holds, front back and sides.
5)yes get up and walk around here and there, i have a glass bottle of tea next to me and i refill it a good 5-6 times throughout the day. combine with bathroom breaks from all the drinking and a lunch break, and i end up getting up over 10 times easily through the 8 hour shift.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
I just got a stationary bike on craigslist, only $150. Used it twice today for 10 minutes.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Second Kelly Starett's book Deskbound that was mentioned above. Definitely find some way of getting a standup desk. At my old job, I heard Chevron were paying upwards of 3k per desk! I don't think that's necessary though.

These days I can't even work sitting down at a coffee shop for more than half an hour. I don't know how anyone could do it all day every day.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Hi Guys

thank you

sitting all day and typing on a pc board can be dangerous for your health.

i know what i'am talking about because i have now back problems as well as hands problems.

Eben Pagan recommands to use tools to type on a pc board like wrist support and to stand when working in order to preserve your back.

this is why he rarely sits when working at his office.

i know as employees, we can't really do that but you have to stretch often to preserve your back.

i have specials exercices that i do every evening to take care of my back. you should learn some moves as well

ask your health practician

Singh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Feb 27, 2016
UK
Thanks for the inputs, I have now started to do the posture exercise posted by @Ravens_Shadow and I am looking to combine it with some of the exercises on the link by @ksc23. I have had a quick look at deskbound and watched some summary videos on youtube about it. I am now looking into converting my treadmill to have a desk on it for when I work at home

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
There are some very good suggestions on this thread.

The only other thing that I can add is to make sure that your computer monitor is at eye level (so maybe you could prop it up on something) and make sure you aren't spending much time looking down at your phone or laptop.

I spent 6-8 hours a day online doing various activities, and it was getting very uncomfortable and I found myself with some neck pain. It turns out that it was from looking slightly downward. We can put a lot of extra pressure on our cervical vertebrae doing that, and eventually it can lead to serious problems.

I always hold my phone out in front of me even if it makes me look silly or blind lol.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
If you have to sit, try sit somehow like this

images

http://lifehacker.com/why-i-killed-my-standing-desk-and-what-i-do-instead-1565554537

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
Treadmill Desktop is key here Trust me, anyone should get one,pur ancestors from The Stone Age had a 30 km running radius a day, we are Build to move. Avoid sitting and standing. Investing in a treadmill Desk will give u huge health Benefit, a wies

Limitless4Life

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Dec 20, 2016
Joe Rogan mentions one thing that really helps is hanging from a bar like a monkey. Just hold on for 1 minute and see how you feel. It stretches everything out and lets gravity naturally pull everything into place. If you don't have a bar just reach as high as you can with each arm. Do these things throughout the day!

Side Note: One great thing to improve posture is to incline walk. When you walk on an incline, it's easier to walk with proper posture than it is to slouch. Hope this helps :)

Finance_Machine

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jun 13, 2015
Texas
Another practical way to break up sitting time:

- Get a plantronics headset. There are always a number of calls that need to be made during the day. When taking a call, stand up and walk around. I find myself using hand gestures as if someone is in front of me and it increases the effectiveness of my calls and always gives me a very real business excuse to get up and walk around while still plowing forward with productivity.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.