The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling A Car

Marketing, social media, advertising

skekasaurus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Feb 17, 2013
Texas
Tomorrow I need to sell my car to my mechanic. I can't afford the repairs and could use a chunk of change for fastlane projects.

Does anyone have any experience selling cars? In particular selling them to junk yard type places? What major benefits could I emphasize on?

My mechanic owns a shop right next to a plot of land that he uses for storing junk cars and uses the parts in them for his shop when doing repairs. I know I can leverage this in my debacle just not sure how to go about it.

What can I expect as a reasonable deal? I'm guessing somewhere around the $2k mark. But I don't know shit about cars. I just know blue book is around $3500.

Car: 2003 bmw 325i, 156k miles. Broken ac, electrical work on the dashboard needs to be done, couple dents not dramatic ones but noticeable, interior roof lining starting to fall.

I suck at selling, period. I'm going to use this experience to help get me over the fear of selling. Plus this will be a confidence booster I could use if I get a good deal. If not, I still got the experience which is what I'm after.

Thanks everyone. I've been getting a lot of feedback lately and love this community we got going on here. Hope to return the favor in the near future.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
Selling a car to a mechanic is like offering a loan to banker :) He knows everything inside out and you'll probably get the lowest possible offer. Have you tried listing it online?

As for estimating its value, have you searched online for similar cars?

skekasaurus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Feb 17, 2013
Texas
Lol I didn't think of it like that hahahahaha.

But yeah I had a quick look, they're going for about $6000 with lower miles. I already knew I was going to get a low ball offer, just curious if there was some tips I could have used.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
How much is the repair bill?

He will probably offer you that amount and call it even.

If not he will probably want to be paid for his work done, fixed or not. AND he may even throw in a daily storage fee.

You are not in a good position to bargain at all.

Most junk yards offer the value of the metal weight. Somewhere around $100.

I hope you come out OK, but I don't see this going well for you.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
yeah don't sell your car to the mechanic! LOL my husband is a mechanic I will guarantee they will give you less then a u pull I parts place will...

look for a place like a cash and carry or u pick you pull or someone that buys cars... if there is no one local your better off donating it to charity. I have seen cars worth 10-12k signed over for nothing only to be sold to a pull it place for a few hundred bucks...

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
blue book on your car you will be lucky to get $300 from a pull it...

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
put it on Craigslist unless you're cool with getting bottom dollar for it

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Is the electrical work like replace every single wire harness?????? Don't you dare sell that car to the mechanic. See if you can pay in installments, or work something out to drive referrals to his shop. Don't let that guy F*ck you over just to let a useable car go to waste!!!

Last edited:

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I suppose you don't work on cars... electrical problems are a diagnostic nightmare... so it ripping apart the dashboard... its hours of labor...

the reason you wont get anything for the car is the repairs are so expensive your better off buying a new car then spending the money on a pit... people looking for the car are going to see what you see and not want to deal...

unless dude is like your best friend or he thinks your gonna sleep with him, don't count on getting your car back before its paid off..

the mechanic isn't F*cking him over... he is in business to make money that's like saying you got ripped off by Walmart for buying a shirt... I can bet if he shops the job around he gets about the same bill.

I cant tell you how often people let their cars go to shit then get mad at the mechanic because the repair bill is exactly what it should be...

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI
Tomorrow I need to sell my car to my mechanic. I can't afford the repairs and could use a chunk of change for fastlane projects.

Does anyone have any experience selling cars? In particular selling them to junk yard type places? What major benefits could I emphasize on?

My mechanic owns a shop right next to a plot of land that he uses for storing junk cars and uses the parts in them for his shop when doing repairs. I know I can leverage this in my debacle just not sure how to go about it.

What can I expect as a reasonable deal? I'm guessing somewhere around the $2k mark. But I don't know shit about cars. I just know blue book is around $3500.

Car: 2003 bmw 325i, 156k miles. Broken ac, electrical work on the dashboard needs to be done, couple dents not dramatic ones but noticeable, interior roof lining starting to fall.

I suck at selling, period. I'm going to use this experience to help get me over the fear of selling. Plus this will be a confidence booster I could use if I get a good deal. If not, I still got the experience which is what I'm after.

Thanks everyone. I've been getting a lot of feedback lately and love this community we got going on here. Hope to return the favor in the near future.

I figured maybe I could be of some help.

I have experience in the auto business. I have managed multiple auto dealerships and have been in the auto business for some years. However I left for a reason. There are alot of unethical people so be careful who you trust or conduct business with. You might get burned otherwise. Here is my advice to you.

First of all BMW's are great cars. I once had a coupe. Same year as your car. Mine ran for almost 230k. However, when these cars start breaking LOOK OUT. If you are short on cash and truly need to budget to start a business this might not be the right car for you. Certain parts can be costly and coupled with labor this thing can be like a big mosquito that sucks the life straight out of your bank account. Cut your losses and purchase something reliable. Something that wont drain your bank book if it decided to have a bad day.

As far as value goes

The headliner is not a big deal at all. That is pure cosmetic and can be easily fixed with some adhesive. The A/C is a relatively easy repair as well. The dent's ( Depending on how large they are) could be a small issue. However due to its age most buyers will overlook the small imperfections. As look as these "dents" do not look like a buss came through your door you should be alright.

Electrical- Now this could become costly. VERY COSTLY. I do not know what is wrong since you gave a fairly brief description. This is the only thing that MIGHT be a costly issue.

I assume this car is a 4-door? From your description It sounds like it needs cosmetic and normal upkeep work. My only major concern would be the electrical issue.

Now, If the electrical issue is minor fix ( Lets hope so) you should be able to get between $2,500 and $3,600 for the car. I would try to aim for somewhere in the middle. The numbers are based of what cars similar to yours are pulling in my area. Your location may be a little different so look into it.

Selling- I would use a basic craigslist ad. They get the job done well. Make sure to be fairly descriptive and take GOOD PHOTOS. Quality photos will sell the car. Especially if you do not have sales experience.

I am not a lawyer. So, therefore I cannot and will not give you legal advice. But writing AS IS AS SEEN ON THE BILL OF SALE IS IMPORTANT.

Again, I cannot see the car and I really don't know its history. You know the car best. Now you just need to decide if you can get something comparable that will fit your needs and goals better with the cash you have available if you were to sell. Sometimes it just makes more sense to make the repairs if the car is solid.

Hopefully some of this info will help you out.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Pay $30 and have a copy-writer write your ad like this.
Place the ad on craigslist, print it and put it up around college campuses, grocery stores, all the Bimmer forums, etc.

You might even go viral.

Good luck.

P.s. my friend, selling to people will pay top dollar instead of a mechanic has nothing to do with sales, it's only logic.

P.p.s. It's only in your head that your not good in sales. You sold all your friends on why they should be your friends, you sold us on why we should respond, your always selling. Not a choice.

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014

Are you really looking to sell the car or do you just want to sell it because "the technician" says it would cost to much money to fix? As far as selling it to the technician expect a Lower offer, it's not his fault he's just looking to fix & flip it, it pays to know your way around cars.

For the interior headliner starting to sag all you'll need to do is get the headliner out (Search Youtube), buy some Permatex headliner adhesive spray it and the headliner will stick line new again

Ask your technician what exactly is wrong with the AC, since he said it's broke. (Compressor, Condensor, Evaporator, High-pressure Line, Low-Pressure Line) Could be as easy as a line needs to be replace because it got punctured/chafed & then ask the tech to fill it with refrigerant.

For the electrical work, Is stuff shorting out? Or is the electrical problem just a MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp, Aka check engine light ect) If it's a MIL light go to Auto-Zone or ask your technician to pull the OBD2 codes from the PCM and post them back here for me to see.

^Hopefully this post is somewhat helpful

GL Kosta-B

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
most mechanics are not going to tell you something costs too much to fix, unless they suggest it needs to be replaced because of the cost of a repair... like an $8 patch on a tube that costs $12... just why?

I seriously doubt the mechanic determined it was an electrical problem for a check engine light without checking out any codes... usually they go to electrical or computers when the codes fail to fix the problem or are making no sense. one bad thing can set of a chain reaction of codes...

I also doubt the mechanic said dude its broke... I am certain he knows what is exactly wrong with the ac or its leaked out all its Freon and the op doesn't want to pay for Freon and dye to diagnose it completely.

curious to see how right or wrong I am on my assumptions here :D

Ajay2390

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jan 27, 2014
London, UK
It would have been ideal if you found out how much it would cost to repair Before you gave it to this fellow. Then you could have budgeted and dodged this situation.

You need solid numbers..

If I were to be in your shoes, I would find out my bill from him. And also ask for his offer for my car. And I mean every single detail of this bill.

Go home and research how much the market sells them for with my spec BMW.

Now you will be left with a couple of routes to take..

Sell him the car or..

Pay the damage, sell it. Spares/Repairs.

Whatever you do, Good luck and please..

Breathe into your Balls and Follow what your heart is saying!

Don't let this guy take you for a fool!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Selling a car is quite different than sales itself. I would stray from selling it to a mechanic if it drives. You won't be getting a good deal. If you still need transportation I think your best bet is to take it to a place like Carmax. Big used car dealerships like this usually give bluebook trade in. Then go find something cheap and japenese. Like a toyota carolla. Year doesn't matter as much as low mileage. I bet you they have something for sale with less than 50k miles on it for under 5k.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
For the record, I do work on cars, and I know many mechanics that over diagnose issues because they see value in a quick flip. @CarrieW, just because your husband is ethical does not mean that they don't exist.

The biggest issue here is that we don't know the relationship he has with this mechanic, we don't know the symptoms and codes related to these issues, and we don't know a price quoted to repair vs. the OP's budget.

Let this be a lesson to everyone: making assumptions about a situation is more like spinning your wheels. Without the proper information, nothing will be accomplished and everything you say about it will be speculation. Yep, I'm guilty too, and I learned from this. The lesson is to ASK AS MANY QUESTIONS AND GET AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE BEFORE OFFERING A SOLUTION!!!!!

Now I'm going to go build a billion dollar company, because this shit right here can help you sell.

skekasaurus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Feb 17, 2013
Texas
Hey All!!! Thanks so much for the feedback and ideas. I got A LOT more responses than I thought I would actually get.

So let me fill in a few details:

Right now the car is in the shop because it lost acceleration power while I was driving. Before I offered to sell it to the mechanic, he quoted me $1100 to repair the vehicle. He told me all the parts involved, but I didn't make a list. It has something to do with the air flow, which I assume is on point because I've gone to the same shop before with similar problem and had the O2 sensors replaced. I guess it's something more serious now.

This mechanic has been working on my car since the day I bought it, nearly 6 years ago. He's NEVER steered me wrong in the past or attempted to screw me over. Even when he was over-paid by my insurance company to do some collision repairs, he didn't keep the left over funds and instead he actually gave it back to me. So I can for the most part say I trust this guy's judgement.

Also, I should mention that I've neglected a lot of maintenance repairs that I should have been keeping up with. Since I haven't, everything has begun to stack up and it's starting to cost me an arm & leg to keep up with the repairs as stuff starts to break.

Short list of necessary maintenance:
  • AC
  • New Tires
  • Electrical work for dashboard (backlight doesn't come on at night, turn signal indicator doesn't flicker, surprisingly the gauges still work. this mechanic told me he couldn't do the electric work behind the dashboard because it's too much hassle and it's best left to the dealership)
  • Alignment (i believe this is going to be pretty bad because it's currently disabling my traction control and haven't had an alignment done in over a year)
  • Cosmetic work
  • Chipped windshield
  • and some other various stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting
I looked up the current bluebook value ($3000 range for fair condition) as well as what other folks are selling them for in my area ($4500+). With all this in mind, I had a sale goal of at least $2000.

So if we figure $1100 to fix (let's also assume I don't fix anything else), and then sell it for $4500 (assuming someone would pay that much for a non-perfect vehicle with 160k miles), I would hit a potential profit from that deal of $3300.

Today I talked to the mechanic (i forgot i owned a book called "the one minute salesman", skimmed through it last night), and I got him to agree to pay $2500 for the whip!!!!! I was actually able to hit my price target! If we look at this as $3300 (potential fix and flip profit) - $2500 (sell to mechanic) = $800 price different. The tires alone would run me close to that price difference, so to me this sounds like a great deal.

What do y'all think???

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
$2500 cash in hand vs $3300 in potentially months is worth it, I think. Do you have something else to drive though?

skekasaurus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Feb 17, 2013
Texas
$2500 cash in hand vs $3300 in potentially months is worth it, I think. Do you have something else to drive though?

I don't but that doesn't really bother me (unless I need to go on dates, then what will I do?). I've become lazy and pudgy with my car, so it'll be a good reason to start getting physical again and putting my bike to good use. Especially since my city is starting to push to be a more bike friendly city, and there's talks/plans to put a light rail system. I also work close to home so I could walk/ride a bike. Only thing that will suck is getting groceries!!!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
you made out like a bandit! :) and also it feels so good to be right :p

also I want to point out the reason I thought that way is because I choose to believe the best in people until proven otherwise...

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I want to add that I am amazed that you were able to pull it off. I know it never ever in a million years would have went down that way at my hubs shop LOL.

that electrical problem is a huge unknown... now I am sure it is much more worth his while to fix it now that hes making money off the car rather then just the repairs. that's a really close margin. that guy is nuts imo LOL

glad it worked out so well for you :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.