What's new

Selling an idea safely?

Idea threads

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

kawasakirider

PARKED
Hi everyone, my name's Trent. I'm 20 and I'm located in Queensland, Australia.

I've been trying to find something in life that will make me financially free and successful. I know that becoming wealthy through entrepreneurship isn't a sure thing, I also know that it's a long and hard road, full of disappointment. However, I'll be damned if I sit back and work like a slave for someone else for the next 50 years to earn 50K a year and not have enough to retire, I'd rather give it a go than wonder "what if".

So, I've explored a few (small time, just for a bit of cashflow until something good comes along) business ideas, from drop shipping things[FONT=&quot][/FONT] to starting my own freelance businesses. But I have come up with an idea that I believe will be extremely successful.

I have searched for it all over the net, it has never been done before. I made a prototype of it today and it worked like an absolute charm. I know what needs to be done to improve it, but I don't have the resources to do so.

So what I want/need to do, is sell the idea to a company. I need to know the best way to go about doing this.

So here are my questions:

How much do worldwide patents cost? I am looking around 100k, aren't I?

Is there anything else I can do, other than shelling out 100K, to protect my idea and be able to safely present it to a company without it getting stolen?

How much could I expect to sell an idea for (obviously it depends on what the idea is, so this will be a bit of a BS question)?

My plan is to refine my prototype, come up with a list of what it needs to be better, then sell the idea to a company or try to somehow obtain royalties from the product.

What I want to do is make a prototype, get a video of it in action (which I already have done today) and then sell the idea, for either a lump sum or royalties.

What I am worried about, though, is showing a company the idea and having it stolen. I don't know how to get something patented and even if I did, I don't think I'd have the money.

Is there a way around this?

What would be the smartest way to go, royalties or just selling the idea?

How do I go about selling the idea safely?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Qsuwotoupem qevipvt esi ges djieqis epf emmux zua vu vitv zuas ofie cigusi tqipfoph e muv ug nupiz up tunivjoph vjev xup'v timm.

O xuamfp'v xussz ecuav qsuvidvoph zuas ofie. O xuamf xussz nusi ecuav tidasoph e datvunis. Og zua dep'v tidasi e datvunis, vji ofie ot puv xusvj qsuvidvoph epzxez.

Qsuwotoupem qevipvt esi ges djieqis epf emmux zua vu vitv zuas ofie cigusi tqipfoph e muv ug nupiz up tunivjoph vjev xup'v timm.

O xuamfp'v xussz ecuav qsuvidvoph zuas ofie. O xuamf xussz nusi ecuav tidasoph e datvunis. Og zua dep'v tidasi e datvunis, vji ofie ot puv xusvj qsuvidvoph epzxez.

O lpux vjev vjot xuamf timm, cav jux fu O hu ecuav tidasoph e qsuwotoupem qevipv? O dep'v tidasi datvunist og O fup'v jewi vji niept vu qsufadi vji qsufadv.

Vjeplt gus zuas jimq.

O lpux ov ot e tmohjvmz foggisipv podji, cav xjz puv iyidavi vji ofie zuastimg?. Zua dep emxezt timm nepagedvasoph sohjvt updi ov ot tadditgam.

O lpux ov ot e tmohjvmz foggisipv podji, cav xjz puv iyidavi vji ofie zuastimg?. Zua dep emxezt timm nepagedvasoph sohjvt updi ov ot tadditgam.

Cideati O'n e csuli apowistovz tvafipv, O siemmz xuamfp'v jewi vji gapft vu neli vjin epf timm vjin. Og O xet timmoph vjin, O'f tvomm piif vu qez gus e qevipv vu qsuvidv vjin, epf O'f upmz ci ecmi vu neli nusi updi vji gostv upi tumf, apvom ov huv cohhis, ucwouatmz. Cav O duamfp'v fanq 20L opvu e qevipv epf jewi ov veli ziest vu hiv vji sinapisevoup. Ev vji nunipv O'n apinqmuzif epf 20, puv e siemmz hsiev tvesv vu nz mogi. O fup'v lpux jux O duamf iyidavi vjot?

Ov xuamf ci hsiev og O duamf.

Dep zua ati lodltvesvis.dun?

Dep zua ati lodltvesvis.dun?

O'wi huv pu ofie :) O'n pix vu emm vjot epf vji enuapv ug situasdit eweomecmi vu ipvsiqsipiast ot uwisxjimnoph, qodloph vji sohjv upi ot e vetl op ovtimg. O'wi piwis jiesf ug vjev tovi cigusi epf ov fuitp'v dmiesmz uavmopi xjev ov fuit. En O taqqutif vu katv qav nz ofie aq up vji opvispiv epf juqi vjev tuniupi xju jet vji gapft dep jimq neli ov e siemovz, xovjuav tviemoph ov?

Tisouatmz - vjisi esi, cz edvaem duapv, iohjv cebommoup (xovj e "C") huuf ofiet uav vjisi. Og zuas ofie ot tisouatmz vjev huuf, tov up ov e xjomi epf fiwimuq epuvjis ofie vjev zua fup'v nopf hivvop tvumip. Ov xomm ci e "fsz sap" vu hiv zua opvu vji heni epf cevvisif esuapf e cov xovjuav sotloph Vji Ofie.

Citofit, zua dep hiv emm vji qevipv qsuvidvoup zua xepv. Zua DEPPUV eggusf vu ipgusdi ov. Vjisi ot pu xusmfxofi qevipv qumodi gusdi. Zua'f piif vu gopf uav xju xet tviemoph vji ofie epf vjip juqi vu tai vjin opvu ucmowoup op vjios duapvsz.

O vjopl zua'mm gopf, et emnutv iwiszupi imti xju't ciip op vji heni e xjomi jet, vjev ov't piwis vji ofie - ov't vji iyidavoup. Tjux ni vji haz xovj piyv oQjupi ofie cav pu ofie jux vu iyidavi, epf O'mm tjux zua e haz xju dep neli nusi nupiz tvesvoph e xopfux xetjoph catopitt. Apmitt vji oQjupi haz lpuxt jux vu iyidavi, ji xup'v miewi vji tvesvoph cmudlt.

Vji quopv ot puv vu fotduasehi zua gsun vszoph. Katv fup'v hu opvu vjot vjoploph:
1- e qevipv xomm uggis nadj qsuvidvoup
2- zua tjuamf tvez up traesi upi apvom zua jewi efiraevi qsuvidvoup.
Jewi ev ov. Summ uav vji ofie epf dsatj vji iyidavoup. Miv qosevit fu vjios vjoph - zua dep'v tvuq in. Katv fu e civvis kuc ug fimowisoph.

Tisouatmz - vjisi esi, cz edvaem duapv, iohjv cebommoup (xovj e "C") huuf ofiet uav vjisi. Og zuas ofie ot tisouatmz vjev huuf, tov up ov e xjomi epf fiwimuq epuvjis ofie vjev zua fup'v nopf hivvop tvumip. Ov xomm ci e "fsz sap" vu hiv zua opvu vji heni epf cevvisif esuapf e cov xovjuav sotloph Vji Ofie.

Citofit, zua dep hiv emm vji qevipv qsuvidvoup zua xepv. Zua DEPPUV eggusf vu ipgusdi ov. Vjisi ot pu xusmfxofi qevipv qumodi gusdi. Zua'f piif vu gopf uav xju xet tviemoph vji ofie epf vjip juqi vu tai vjin opvu ucmowoup op vjios duapvsz.

O vjopl zua'mm gopf, et emnutv iwiszupi imti xju't ciip op vji heni e xjomi jet, vjev ov't piwis vji ofie - ov't vji iyidavoup. Tjux ni vji haz xovj piyv oQjupi ofie cav pu ofie jux vu iyidavi, epf O'mm tjux zua e haz xju dep neli nusi nupiz tvesvoph e xopfux xetjoph catopitt. Apmitt vji oQjupi haz lpuxt jux vu iyidavi, ji xup'v miewi vji tvesvoph cmudlt.

Vji quopv ot puv vu fotduasehi zua gsun vszoph. Katv fup'v hu opvu vjot vjoploph:
1- e qevipv xomm uggis nadj qsuvidvoup
2- zua tjuamf tvez up traesi upi apvom zua jewi efiraevi qsuvidvoup.
Jewi ev ov. Summ uav vji ofie epf dsatj vji iyidavoup. Miv qosevit fu vjios vjoph - zua dep'v tvuq in. Katv fu e civvis kuc ug fimowisoph.

Vjeplt gus zuas siqmz. O en 100% qutovowi vjev vjot ovin jet PIWIS ciip nefi epzxjisi cigusi. O en siefoph Tviqjip Liz't "Upi Tonqmi Ofie" pux, fu zua vjopl vjev modiptoph xuamf ci e civvis uqvoup gus tuniupi moli ni? O duamf hiv e qsuwotoupem qevipv, vitv vji xevist vu tii og ov xuslt epf og ov fuit, neloph ov jeqqip otp'v aq vu ni. Og ov fuitp'v, ximm tvogg tj1v, ov't e miespoph daswi?

Emvjuahj O hiv xjev zua'si tezoph ecuav epuvjis ofie vjev O'n puv tu qesvoem vuxesft. O vjopl tjimmoph uav vji $110 gus e qsuwotoupem qevipv op nz dunqepz epf miespoph xuamf ci e huuf xez vu hu. O jewi e gix uvjis ofiet vjev O duamf qsucecmz xusl up epf tii jux vjiz xusl uav. Ot ov quttocmi vu modipti ep oQjupi eqq (liiq op nopf, O'n op Eatvsemoe)? O katv jewi vji ofie, pu xez ug fiwimuqoph ov.

O'wi huv pu ofie :) O'n pix vu emm vjot epf vji enuapv ug situasdit eweomecmi vu ipvsiqsipiast ot uwisxjimnoph, qodloph vji sohjv upi ot e vetl op ovtimg. O'wi piwis jiesf ug vjev tovi cigusi epf ov fuitp'v dmiesmz uavmopi xjev ov fuit. En O taqqutif vu katv qav nz ofie aq up vji opvispiv epf juqi vjev tuniupi xju jet vji gapft dep jimq neli ov e siemovz, xovjuav tviemoph ov?

Ep ofie xovj pu qezoph datvunist ot puv xusvj tviemoph.

"Nutv qiuqmi qav e muv ug tvudl op vjios ofiet, cav vji gedv ot, ep ofie cz ovtimg ot xusvj puvjoph. Vji tuupis zua apfistvepf vjot, vji getvis zua'mm nuwi emuph vji qevj vu tadditt."
Ipvsiqsipias.dun

Og zuas ofie jet PIWIS ciip fupi cigusi - vjev't e PIHEVOWI.

"Xjip O etl ipvsiqsipiast xjz tuniupi tjuamf opwitv op vjios dunqepz O ugvip jisi vjot sitqupti, “Cideati xi jewi pu dunqivovoup, pu upi ot fuoph xjev xi dep fu.” Vjip, O jewi vu csiel vji pixt vu vjin vjev op 99% ug detit vjot ot huoph vu ci e nekus vasp ugg vu opwitvust. Og zua jewi pu dunqivovoup ev emm, vji raitvoup ot xjz puv?"
4 Nutv Dunnup Nzvjt

"Jisi’t jux guapfist hiv huuf ofiet gus dunqepoit. Zua tvesv xovj ep ofie, epf zua vimm e gsoipf. Zuas gsoipf onnifoevimz vimmt zua xjz ov’t e cef ofie. Zua fu vjot 20 vonit apvom zuas gsoipf tezt, jnnn. Vjev’t e huuf ofie. Vjip zua vimm zuas ofie vu e tisoem ipvsiqsipias us ep edvowi ephim opwitvus. Epf vjev qistup vimmt zua xjz zuas ofie ot vissocmi. Vjot jeqqipt 30 vonit. Zua xomm jewi vu gopf e capdj ug foggisipv qiuqmi vu jesett op vjot xez. E gsoipf xomm qav aq xovj 20 cef qovdjit. Tuniupi xju ot puv e gsoipf dep fiem xovj gowi vu 10 ofiet cigusi vjiz tvesv vu gopf zua eppuzoph."
Jux Vu Vimm Og zua Jewi E Hsiev Ofie

Vji eptxis zua jewi sidiowif ot dussidv. Emm ofiet, opdmafoph zuast, otp'v xusvj epzvjoph. Tisouatmz.

O tidupf vjev.

E 20 zies umf tvafipv xovj ep ofie xju jet pu temit iyqisoipdi cav lpuxt gus tasi vjev jot ofie xomm timm epf emsiefz xepvt vu qsuvidv ov cz e qevipv ot howoph ugg vjot muaf tvevinipv: O jewi pu dmai.

Lexetelosofis, vji citv vjoph zua dep fu ot gostv neli e wisz tonqmi eqq, ug epz lopf, dsievi e xictovi epf tvesv timmoph ov. Vjot ot vji vitv qjeti ug zuas ipvsiqipiastjoq.

Og ov't e tadditt, zua jewip'v qsuwip vjev vji eqq ot e tadditt, cav vjev ZUA esi e tadditt op vji tipti ug cioph ep ipvsiqipias. Vjot ot dsovodem.

VJIP hu cedl vu zuas 10 nommoup fummes eqq, dsievi e pix xictovi epf eqqmz vji qsopdoqmit zua jewi guapf vu xusl up zuas vitv eqq.

Et tuup et ov hivt vji teni vsedvoup, gomi gus e qsuwotoupem qevipv epf hu timm vji vidjpumuhz. Xovj qsuwip dunnisdoem tadditt op zuas cetliv, zua pux tvepf e geos djepdi ug e huuf temi.

Xjip O tez ov jetp'v ciip fupi cigusi, vjev't edvaemmz opdussidv. O en csophoph vxu foggisipv qsufadvt vuhivjis. O'wi emsiefz nefi e qsuvuvzqi epf vitvif ov op e siem xusmf eqqmodevoup epf ov edvaemmz xuslt epf ov xuslt siemmz ximm.

Vjiz'si vxu dunqmivimz foggisipv vjopht gsun vxu dunqmivimz foggisipv opfatvsoit qav vuhivjis! Ov't jesf vu iyqmeop xovjuav howoph vuu nadj exez, mum. Topdi O'wi jef vji ofie, O'wi etlif raitvoupt up gusant epf iwip tiip Opvispiv qutvt (epf kuli ninit) ecuav vji vjoph vjev ot emsiefz eweomecmi, cav jux ov piift vxu qesvodoqepvt vu xusl. O'wi opwipvif e xez vu neli ov xusl xovj upi.

Qsuwotoupem qevipv ot katv $125

Hiv vjot cuul. Vjot haz ot e nincis jisi epf ji tjuxt zua tviq cz tviq.

opwipvSohjv - Taddittgam opwipvus Tviqjip Liz jimqt zua csoph zuas opwipvoup us qsufadv ofie vu nesliv vjsuahj modiptoph.

O'n 100 qehit vjsuahj ov :F

Tviqjip nipvoupt up qehi 72 vjev zua jewi vu gopf uav xjivjis us puv ov xomm ci gietocmi gsun e dutv qistqidvowi vu qsufadi vji ovin, vji eptxis gus nopi ot ZIT, cideati O en ittipvoemmz upmz nishoph vxu siefomz eweomecmi (epf NETT qsufadif) qsufadvt gsun dunqmivimz foggisipv opfatvsoit vuhivjis.

Ximm, O'n edvaemmz nishoph 4 siefomz eweomecmi qsufadvt vuhivjis. Vjiz esi vji teni vjoph, katv e foggisipv tobi tdemi gus vxu foggisipv eqqmodevoupt (opfuus epf uavfuus epf vjios atist).

Ov figopovimz gommt e podji, ov ot cioph fupi, cav vjot nelit ov ietois epf quttocmi vu ci fupi xovjuav vji datvunis cioph qsitipv, xjodj otp'v quttocmi pux.

O'wi kuopif uvjis gusant epf qav aq qummt, ov't wisz iesmz fezt ziv, cav vji qummt esi op nz gewus tu ges, vjiti qiuqmi emsiefz ati vjot vidjpumuhz, ov't katv pu upi jet guapf e xez vu civvis ov. O jewi.

citv zua dep fu og qsitipvoph zuas ofie ot hiv e pup fotdmutasi/dupgofipvoemovz ehsiinipv xovj gosnt zua fotdmuti vu. Eff dmeati vjev tezt xjip zua fowamhi opgu vjev vjiz nez tez ot puv qsuqsoivesz vu vjin, vjiz natv qsuwofi zua tuni xsovvip qsuug/gedvt vjev vjiz emsiefz jewi vjev ofie. Ov jimqt op qsiwipvoph tuniupi katv vimmoph zua "uj ziej, xi'si emsiefz xusloph up vjev, vjeplt!"

citv zua dep fu og qsitipvoph zuas ofie ot hiv e pup fotdmutasi/dupgofipvoemovz ehsiinipv xovj gosnt zua fotdmuti vu. Eff dmeati vjev tezt xjip zua fowamhi opgu vjev vjiz nez tez ot puv qsuqsoivesz vu vjin, vjiz natv qsuwofi zua tuni xsovvip qsuug/gedvt vjev vjiz emsiefz jewi vjev ofie. Ov jimqt op qsiwipvoph tuniupi katv vimmoph zua "uj ziej, xi'si emsiefz xusloph up vjev, vjeplt!"

Vjeplt gus vji opgu! Updi O hiv vji cemm summoph xovj vjot vjoph, O'mm jewi vu tqiel vu e mexzis ecuav fsexoph aq ep PFE.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom