The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I finish my Electrical Engineering degree?

Feedback

FastAdam23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Dec 5, 2023
Hello everyone, my name is Adam, 19 yo from Croatia, and I am currently studying Electrical engineering for a bachelor's degree.
I started reading The millionare fastlane not too long ago and I am loving it so far but I started to question whether I am pursuing the right thing or not. Here in Croatia college is free so I think it's a good investment overall but I am not sure if I can land a good job with a bachelor's from my country because the education here is outdated. Is it worth going for a Masters? Should I finish bachelor's and just start working to get experience and maybe open a business in this field?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello everyone, my name is Adam, 19 yo from Croatia, and I am currently studying Electrical engineering for a bachelor's degree.
I started reading The millionare fastlane not too long ago and I am loving it so far but I started to question whether I am pursuing the right thing or not. Here in Croatia college is free so I think it's a good investment overall but I am not sure if I can land a good job with a bachelor's from my country because the education here is outdated. Is it worth going for a Masters? Should I finish bachelor's and just start working to get experience and maybe open a business in this field?

@ZCP is an engineer and runs an engineering firm. Curious what he thinks.

FastAdam23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Dec 5, 2023
@FastAdam23 what is your end goal/outcome for the next 10 years? what do you want to do? where do you want to live? what do you want to be doing? who do you want to be with?
End goal is for sure to be an engineer because I always liked it. I want to start a business but have a backup job and education. All I know is that I want to have time and financial freedom as well as location freedom. Just not sure if I can achieve it with a bachelor's degree. My family has been telling me that I need to get a master's my whole life to become something so now I'm just wondering what is the right path. Just don't want to waste my young years worthlessly.

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
find the 5 or 6 jobs / things you would like to do. what qualifications are required to do that?

find 5 or 6 people on linkedin doing exactly what you want to do. reach out to them and ask how they got there, what they needed, advice they would have.

question: are your family exactly who you want to be and doing exactly what you want to do? then they can give you ideas, i just would not blindly listen to advice from people that are not doing what you want to do. right?

VZM

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Oct 26, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
Im in the same kind of boat here. Finishing my final year of aerospace eng. I also try to do a small business flipping boats during the summer (it doesn't always work out, but the knowledge gained was awesome). I'd say stick it out and finish your degree. There is a lot of stuff you can do with an electrical eng. degree, you can go work, or you can surely start a business. If its free, then I'd go for it. Additionally, you may have a bunch of resources at your institution that can help you start a business while you are in school, sometimes even give you money. Not to mention the possibility of finding cofounders (this one is kinda tricky, most people in my class are the grind away 24hrs a day at work kind of people) but def worth a try.

As for the masters, its up to you. For engineers, experience is very relevant, not only being a thermometer with a ton of degrees. I personally am probably not going the masters route.

Just my 2c

FastAdam23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Dec 5, 2023
Im in the same kind of boat here. Finishing my final year of aerospace eng. I also try to do a small business flipping boats during the summer (it doesn't always work out, but the knowledge gained was awesome). I'd say stick it out and finish your degree. There is a lot of stuff you can do with an electrical eng. degree, you can go work, or you can surely start a business. If its free, then I'd go for it. Additionally, you may have a bunch of resources at your institution that can help you start a business while you are in school, sometimes even give you money. Not to mention the possibility of finding cofounders (this one is kinda tricky, most people in my class are the grind away 24hrs a day at work kind of people) but def worth a try.

As for the masters, its up to you. For engineers, experience is very relevant, not only being a thermometer with a ton of degrees. I personally am probably not going the masters route.

Just my 2c
How come you aren't going for a master's? In our field, the pay is better with a higher degree and also we get certain benefits like being an authorized engineer. Im sure there are plenty of businesses in our field as engineering minds are always respected and helpful to society but are probably much more expensive to start.

VZM

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Oct 26, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
How come you aren't going for a master's? In our field, the pay is better with a higher degree and also we get certain benefits like being an authorized engineer. Im sure there are plenty of businesses in our field as engineering minds are always respected and helpful to society but are probably much more expensive to start.
At least where I am, you become an authorized engineer after working in engineering for at least 4 years, masters or not. Also I have to pay a bunch for tuition here, and honestly that is kind of anti-fastlane in my opinion. There are the sidewalkers that spend immediately everything they earn, and then in my mind there is the category that just keeps paying tuition for 10 years to get a phd and it takes them 10 more years to pay off the debt. My reasoning is that I can get a pretty good business going in 10 years and have a small pile of cash by the time one graduates with a pile of debt.
Now, I am not knocking on anyone doing a Phd, much less if the tuition is free (as in your case). If you need a masters to become an accredited engineer, (not sure how it works in your country) then going for it might be a good option. I am just explaining my reasoning as to why I am not getting a masters.
If you do go for masters, try to start thinking of and testing different business ideas anyways if you can.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013

I suggest you finish your degree. You have your whole life ahead of you, and you will have many more employment options if you have a degree.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.