The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So you want to move to Scottsdale?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
So what's the "gotta do" list in Scottsdale?

I wanna get ideas when I am there this coming up Feb.

1. Whats the best grub food you just can't miss there? Even if I need to go to Phoenix maybe? The hotel told gave me a list that looks like fancy restaurants. I don't mind fancy and will prob. try them, but I wanna know where the local grub food that I shouldn't miss.

2. What about activities? All I got from the hotel was "hiking the mountain" pretty much. Is there anything I shouldn't miss while in town?

Hopdoddy burgers is really good, if you're into burgers. Thirsty Lion is a solid choice for some beers and food, as well.

For activities, not really sure what you're into. Wife and I just did a tour of Wrigley mansion and it was pretty cool, if you're into history. The desert botanical garden is worth seeing IMO. If you can catch the Phoenix orchestra while in town, they're really good as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

1. Whats the best grub food you just can't miss there? Even if I need to go to Phoenix maybe? The hotel told gave me a list that looks like fancy restaurants. I don't mind fancy and will prob. try them, but I wanna know where the local grub food that I shouldn't miss.

2. What about activities? All I got from the hotel was "hiking the mountain" pretty much. Is there anything I shouldn't miss while in town?

Close by the hotel is Sakana Sushi. Incredible. Not enough tables inside so get there when they open. Frank and Lupe's Mexican food in Old Town Scottsdale. Wally's pub is my fave in Scottsdale. The food is awesome! Scottsdale is where most locals go. Not Phoenix. Everything is happening in old town. If you just want to hang and chill, Fashion Square is a large mall with lots of interesting places around it. It is attached to the old town area. Everything is walkable.

Lots of golf in the area. Art galleries all over the place.

Hang with the crew. They usually just avoid jail. :)

Last edited:

C-Jay

Audeamus
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Aug 7, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I did a bit of research, presuming I can get a ticket, and basically have my heart set on two things: the desert botanical gardens place looks ridiculously cool, and I'd kick myself if I didn't rent a car and do the 4(?) hour drive up to south rim to check out the grand canyon. I'm a sucker for that kind of awe-inspiring natural beauty.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I'd kick myself if I didn't rent a car and do the 4(?) hour drive up to south rim to check out the grand canyon.
Off-Topic - The Grand Canyon

The pictures are gone but the story is there. Personally, I would only go to the canyon if the intent was to go down. Sedona is much closer and has awesome scenery.

Last edited:

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ

Rehab Burger Therapy & Cold Beer and Cheese Burgers are both rock solid for burgers... right in main stretch of Old Town.

Another, Oregano's pizza. I believe @MJ DeMarco mentions it in Unscripted ... It is legendary Pizza IMO.

C-Jay

Audeamus
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Aug 7, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Off-Topic - The Grand Canyon

The pictures are gone but the story is there. Personally, I would only go to the canyon if the intent was to go down. Sedona is much closer and has awesome scenery.

Just read it. Really enjoyed that story. I also am a big fan of the ultra-challenging treks like that, so that definitely gave me some pause and something to think about it. Definitely seems like a wicked and arduous journey.

I think my rationale for wanting to do is really just to have an excuse to see the countryside in between (I love desert driving) with a destination in mind. Will definitely explore my options though!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Rehab Burger Therapy & Cold Beer and Cheese Burgers are both rock solid for burgers... right in main stretch of Old Town.

Another, Oregano's pizza. I believe @MJ DeMarco mentions it in Unscripted ... It is legendary Pizza IMO.
I almost purchased the building where an Oregano's resides. Should have... but bought the golf course instead.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Not sure if the OP is staying for more days than the meet up but here's my list:

Eating:
Sakana Sushi, try the torched salmon toro
Check out Rudy's BBQ, it's a 20 mile haul from the hotel but worth it
If you haven't had Chicago Pizza, then go to Lou Malnati's.

In town:
Drive to Sahuaro Lake to the Butcher Jones Beach to see the wild horses (25 minutes from hotel) (heck I'd say go stand up paddle boarding though the water will be cold)
Hike Camelback Mountain (2-3 hours roundtrip)

If you have days to spare:
Grand Canyon might be cold, have snow and be cloudy, but you gotta go (4 hour drive)
Sedona is beautiful. (2 hour drive) Hike Devil's Bridge and do the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow Ride (need to reserve months in advance)

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
I second oreganos and rehab burgers. I love them both! I personally like Sedona better than the Grand Canyon but both are must see if you have time and are not planning on coming back this way anytime soon. Can easily hit both in a couple days as long as you don’t mind the drive.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Wow thanks for the input.

Im mostly staying for the event since Im speaking, but I figured I would venture out on my own the day before, day after, and at nights. I think I have enough time to hit several of the food joints mentioned for sure, even if I just get lunch sized portions and hit a few back to back to get the experience in.

As far as the scenery, I'm not sure. So close to the canyon I might just have to do the drive but I don't think I would have time for much of it. 4 hour drive to, 4 hour back, Id have like 1 hour maybe total to see it. So I might just do Sedona for a couple hours. Antelope Canyon seems too far away.

Also will do the botanical gardens.

Honestly, I probably don't have enough time to do theses activities right. However, flights from Louisville ( where I live ) almost always have layovers in Phoenix so I might actually get a long layover on a couple flights this year and do them as I can.

Thanks!

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
south rim to check out the grand canyon
Make sure you drive back to Phoenix using 89A through Slide Rock State Park. Amazing drive, although traffic can get backed-up at the end near Sedona.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Wow thanks for the input.

Im mostly staying for the event since Im speaking, but I figured I would venture out on my own the day before, day after, and at nights. I think I have enough time to hit several of the food joints mentioned for sure, even if I just get lunch sized portions and hit a few back to back to get the experience in.

As far as the scenery, I'm not sure. So close to the canyon I might just have to do the drive but I don't think I would have time for much of it. 4 hour drive to, 4 hour back, Id have like 1 hour maybe total to see it. So I might just do Sedona for a couple hours. Antelope Canyon seems too far away.

Also will do the botanical gardens.

Honestly, I probably don't have enough time to do theses activities right. However, flights from Louisville ( where I live ) almost always have layovers in Phoenix so I might actually get a long layover on a couple flights this year and do them as I can.

Thanks!

There are usually group activities before and after the event. Usually involving food and alcohol.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 26, 2016
bump

Putting out a feeler. Anyone who attended the Fastlane Summit 2018... Want to rent an apartment in Scottsdale, AZ?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
After being there in the "winter", I'd really like to know what the 110 degrees feels like in the summer so I will prob be out in July to see.

I'm talking to my wife about potentially coming out for a few months to test the landscape and living conditions.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
After being there in the "winter", I'd really like to know what the 110 degrees feels like in the summer so I will prob be out in July to see.

I'm talking to my wife about potentially coming out for a few months to test the landscape and living conditions.
Would you consider moving? (correct answer is yes, lol)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
After being there in the "winter", I'd really like to know what the 110 degrees feels like in the summer

I bet 110 in the summer feels better than -40 in the winter :)

RdpeGYK.png

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
698%
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
I'm considering moving to Phoenix. I just got in last night and here for about a week. I wanted to see what was available for housing/living and what kind of warehouse I could get with a max of 1200 square feet.

Any ideas on what's the best stuff to check out to confirm I want to move here?

EDIT: Also, I am big into eating healthy and having a healthy lifestyle (I have low immune system from Lyme) so want to make sure there are lots of people into that stuff. That was the one thing I liked about San Diego.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Putting out a feeler. Anyone who attended the Fastlane Summit 2018... Want to rent an apartment in Scottsdale, AZ?

If putting out feelers for a roommate, an avatar change might be recommended... just saying!

This is recommended for ANYONE considering moving here.

You must get a SAMPLING of late July or August weather. If you think it is tolerable, you'll love it here.

When I first felt August heat I was like, "Huh? How is this any worse than 95 and humid in Chicago?"

cwalto12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Feb 21, 2018
Louisville

I know we are both coming from Louisville where it is perpetually gray 4 months a year, but I went to Phoenix last year for the first time when it was 100-105 degrees and...I will probably catch some flack for this...but I thought it was a joke compared to summer next to the Ohio River.

It was hot, don't get me wrong, BUT the shade actually makes a difference in Phoenix heat. In Louisville, you can be in the shade in 80 degree weather and your shorts (among other things) will be sticking to your leg in 5 mins, regardless of shade or not. Miserable.

95 degrees in Phoenix and I was walking down the street feeling pretty great TBH.

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
698%
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
I’m currently in Scottsdale checking out places. So far I’ll go from one super nice place to a really crappy one.

Any recommendations to check out in Scottsdale or other areas?

I just need preferably under $1,200 a month, cool/nice leasing staff, and close to healthy spots and successful minded peeps.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I’m currently in Scottsdale checking out places. So far I’ll go from one super nice place to a really crappy one.

Any recommendations to check out in Scottsdale or other areas?

I just need preferably under $1,200 a month, cool/nice leasing staff, and close to healthy spots and successful minded peeps.
Check out Tempe too, or Arcadia, Biltmore, maybe even Gilbert or Chandler depending on how central / not central you want to be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
95 and dry is easy. It really only sucks when it's 110+ but it's still not as bad as July in Florida where you take 24 hour showers.

Natural selection keeps people who like to stick their head in a 110 degree oven from moving to our Tropical Paradise.

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
698%
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
Finished my week in AZ, most likely will move in the next 1-3 months to Tempe/Scottsdale, I like the border area of those two subdivisions where there is easy access to the freeway.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Had lunch yesterday with @Wolfman , @GuitarManDan (both just moved to town), and @Jamie T

For the others about to move here soon, let me know so we can arrange to set up more regular meetups like this. :)

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
What do you think of Gilbert, AZ or Chandler, AZ? Seems to have pretty good school rating and purchasing a home is pretty cheap.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
What do you think of Gilbert, AZ or Chandler, AZ? Seems to have pretty good school rating and purchasing a home is pretty cheap.
Both are great places to live!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Great places to live, little more family oriented and slower-paced than Scottsdale. Real estate is about 15% cheaper as well.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.