The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join today.

Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has helped entrepreneurs win their freedom with over 38,000 game-changing posts. Join over 90,000 members and a library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Solving Problems For Electrical Contractors

Idea threads

College Dropout

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
I'm taking a new approach to this whole entrepreneurship thing and ACTUALLY attempting to follow the advice given to me by this forum. Namely, focusing on the creation of value.

In light of that... here is the plan:

1. Identify a genuine problem electrical contractors have that they would be willing to pay money to solve.

2. Develop an effective solution to that problem (obviously this is easier said than done) I am hoping I am able to leverage existing skills but ultimately I will do whatever is needed to solve the problem.

3. Sell that solution for a fair price and collect feedback.

4. Improve. Sell more. Improve. Sell more.

No business cards. No courses. No action faking. Just a guy trying to solve a problem.

So here's what I've done so far in pursuit of this plan...

1) Posted to Reddit and electrician forums essentially asking contractors what their greatest challenges are. When I get someone in my target demo who is willing to have a full conversation, I put them on a spreadsheet. The end goal is to have 20-30 interviews over the phone with predetermined questions aimed at identifying common pain points as well as what contractors would be willing to pay to solve them.

"But why would they talk to you?"

Good point. Most won't. But if I talk to 200 frustrated people... and I open with "would you be willing to complain to me?"

Some are going to bite. And that's what I've found thus far.

The people I've messaged and those who have responded to my posts have listed the following issues...

- Chaotic operations (sailing in a tsunami)

- Existing payroll calculators suck

- Cash flow problems

- It's difficult to get paid (on time)

- It's difficult to find good help in some places

- scheduling nightmares

- wasting time on estimates

My thoughts for how to proceed are simply to try and initiate some phone interviews in order to collect more data. I know I'm good on the phone and this is as good a time as any to leverage that skill.

I am not under the impression that I'm going to get a multi-million dollar idea from a phonecall and launch a company in a week... but I believe shifting my focus to the problems of others is a good start.

Any and all feedback is appreciated! Ideas for next steps, or whatever you feel inclined to share.

Thank you all!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gypsy Soul

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jun 27, 2024
San Antonio, TX
I'm taking a new approach to this whole entrepreneurship thing and ACTUALLY attempting to follow the advice given to me by this forum. Namely, focusing on the creation of value.

In light of that... here is the plan:

1. Identify a genuine problem electrical contractors have that they would be willing to pay money to solve.

2. Develop an effective solution to that problem (obviously this is easier said than done) I am hoping I am able to leverage existing skills but ultimately I will do whatever is needed to solve the problem.

3. Sell that solution for a fair price and collect feedback.

4. Improve. Sell more. Improve. Sell more.

No business cards. No courses. No action faking. Just a guy trying to solve a problem.

So here's what I've done so far in pursuit of this plan...

1) Posted to Reddit and electrician forums essentially asking contractors what their greatest challenges are. When I get someone in my target demo who is willing to have a full conversation, I put them on a spreadsheet. The end goal is to have 20-30 interviews over the phone with predetermined questions aimed at identifying common pain points as well as what contractors would be willing to pay to solve them.

"But why would they talk to you?"

Good point. Most won't. But if I talk to 200 frustrated people... and I open with "would you be willing to complain to me?"

Some are going to bite. And that's what I've found thus far.

The people I've messaged and those who have responded to my posts have listed the following issues...

- Chaotic operations (sailing in a tsunami)

- Existing payroll calculators suck

- Cash flow problems

- It's difficult to get paid (on time)

- It's difficult to find good help in some places

- scheduling nightmares

- wasting time on estimates

My thoughts for how to proceed are simply to try and initiate some phone interviews in order to collect more data. I know I'm good on the phone and this is as good a time as any to leverage that skill.

I am not under the impression that I'm going to get a multi-million dollar idea from a phonecall and launch a company in a week... but I believe shifting my focus to the problems of others is a good start.

Any and all feedback is appreciated! Ideas for next steps, or whatever you feel inclined to share.

Thank you all!
Have you thought about automating these steps for them in a single mobile or webapp? Also are there solutions out there that could already solve these problems?

College Dropout

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
Have you thought about automating these steps for them in a single mobile or webapp? Also are there solutions out there that could already solve these problems?
I have considered it, yes. But I don't want to get ahead of myself. In regards to existing solutions, I haven't gotten that far either. I'm trying to determine the problem(s) I'm trying to solve first and foremost. I got some feedback but I doubt it's enough to go off of at this moment.

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

This isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. Since 2007, multi-millionaire entrepreneur and best-selling author MJ DeMarco has been a daily, hands-on mentor at the Fastlane Forum, authoring a staggering 38,000 posts filled with invaluable insights, strategies, and advice. When you join Fastlane, you’re not merely becoming a member—you’re entering MJ’s inner circle, a supportive home where you’re never left to navigate alone. Embrace the power of true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs yearly
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Post comments, react, ask questions.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.