The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a Property Management Business From Scratch

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Rolex Mindset

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 22, 2023
Auckland
I'm a 22 year old from New Zealand. Since I turned 18, I derived my income solely from reselling used items. My goal for 2023 has been to change my lifestyle. I've tried to pursue a frugal lifestyle and put money aside to do leanFIRE. Weakness with reselling and my belief that retiring early wouldn't suit my needs has been cause for reevaluation. While reselling is an excellent income that I will likely always do, it isn't something I can solely rely upon for the rest of my life. Ultimately, I need need to diversify and establish a more recurring source of income that offers greater scalability.

I spent a while studying the different businesses I could potentially get into. You see lots of junk online like selling merchandise or dropshipping. I studied the different job opportunities on job classifieds to see the different types of categories available, I looked into the businesses that are available for franchise, as well as the White Pages. Yes, flicking through the White Pages inspired me to pursue property management.

For context: I've always had an absolute fascination for property. I grew up in a small town, where before COVID inflation, it was possible to buy a house with a 10% yield under $100,000. I thought when I turned 18 that it'd just be as simple as getting 20% deposits and then accumulating some awesome cash-flowing houses. Unfortunately, my town experienced tremendous growth (50% capital growth for a few years) which has changed the dynamic for investment. It represents poor value rather than a hidden gem now. All the research I did in anticipation of thinking that I would be able to buy houses has given me an understanding of the broad property market dynamics, legalities of property, politics regarding housing, and the tangibles like the actual structure of the property itself. While I've never owned a house, I certainly believe I've accumulated decent research over the years to understand more than most managers off the bat.

From there, I've established a Word document and began brainstorming the different segments of property management and researching to understand it better. Fundamentally, it is a simple business with very low expenses - you could theoretically get away with doing everything on your phone. I'm attracted to this type of business. I hate the idea of investing a great sum with the potential for profit in a decade but having to subsidise in the meantime. While few businesses succeed with that model, if most businesses don't become self-sustainable soon I consider them to lack any real basis. Property management offers a high rate of profit and promise of paying off the startup capital in a timely fashion.

The bare essentials of the business exist. Social media has been setup as well as a website. However, this is clearly not enough. While I have "small business experience" reselling, this is a completely different ballgame for the requirements of advertising and presence. What currently have is: no network, no brand recognition, no history in the business working for anyone else, no real experience, heck I don't even know anyone where I currently live (moved well away from family/friends to do this in a city). Despite the disadvantages against me, I absolutely know that should I continuously pursue this (and not mere mental masturbation), results will be achieved.

Giving myself clarity is the crux of this thread. I can conceptualise what the business will look like in my mind. The journey needs to be given realistic consideration and planning. The segment I have trouble with, as well as many other businesses would, is advertising from nothing. Seeing the challenge in front of me has made me appreciate about how little the actual business matters and how much marketing does. The Pareto principle certainly applies.

How will I then advertise this property management business? Looking competing property businesses out there, and there are many, they have great budgets to advertise in a multifaceted way. They have:​
  • Retail locations​
  • Branded cars​
  • Radio advertising​
  • TV advertising​
  • Billboards​
  • Signage​
  • Rental listings​
  • Mail advertising​
  • Newspaper inserts​
  • Sponsorships​
  • Social media​
  • Google SEO​
  • Word of mouth​
  • Workers actively getting their business out there​
In comparison, I have nothing, and no campaigns across different mediums that would be funded simultaneously. Did I yet mention that I am bootstrapping this business?

I am absolutely terrible at advertising, yet understanding it is essential for the business to succeed. I spent a few quid on advertising on Facebook to try attract landlords... to no avail. I've also tried delivering mail straight to people's mailboxes to let them know of my services. From that, I gained one like on Facebook and 15 website views by loosely targeting 500 homes.

What I want to try:
- Cold calling
- Windscreen flyers
- Networking with contractors (need to get some business cards first)
- Networking with other independent property managers in other regions for referrals
- Attending landlord networking events
- Newspaper classifieds advertising
- Giveaways (when I have enough social media attention)

What's recommended by most blogs simply doesn't yet work at my stage. It's difficult to leverage a social media presence of two likes. While it's recommended to make quality content, there isn't any inherent reason for the algorithm to push it without there first being positive engagement on it. Getting more likes and attention to my page is imperative at this stage.

Referrals are an interesting idea, but without any network there isn't anyway it can yet work.

There are great deal of things recommended by websites to help grow the business that wouldn't suit my demographics or result in any business. There's the mainstream recommendations of creating a podcast and a YouTube channel. Landlords with three properties, aged 40+ are going to YouTube to find recommendations for property managers. Could always be wrong though!

In the future, I can imagine my business gaining clients (landlords) on its own. This will be when I'm able to post signage advertising vacancies. On rental websites, people will notice my business advertising properties. It's my intention to get to know neighbours and known in the community. Perhaps I could even receive local newspaper attention. Essentially, the business will have enough recognition on its own for people to naturally levitate towards it.

The immediate issue is simply building that name recognition in the most basic of ways. It's definitely possible as I see beauticians advertise their own home businesses and gain regular business. It's not as if they are savvy advertisers or minds either. If they can do it, so can I.

Gaining name recognition in the short-term is the key goal here. I am going to make a mess of getting there. I will have absolutely no clue how I will get the first 100 likes on Facebook. After that, it will get easier as I am able to refine and see what advertising methods are working for me.

As previously mentioned, my innate ability to do SEO and online advertising outside of online platforms similar to eBay is abysmal. Yet, I know the demographic I am looking for:​
  • Auckland-based (1.7 million people)
  • Aged 40 to 69 (592,570 people in Auckland)
  • People who engage with real estate-related content who are hopefully landlords (low tens of thousands?)​
Efforts made by myself is in pursuit of that established demographic. Due to high interest rates and envious populist tax changes (the removal of interest deductibility against rental income) there aren't new investors. Landlords who are in have been so for years. My promise to them is to offer quality management services (I offer agility that most managers don't) at a mid-line price point. I have to convince people who are either self-managing or with another property management firm (more likely as self-managers are stingy) to trust their property in me.

I have multiple objectives I want to achieve with this business. These are different stages and won't be an overnight endeavour.

Immediate-term, I want to manage one property. Just one. This is a monumental step for the business. It would mean that I have reached a decent amount of landlords (though the specific ratio would be unclear). If the property is vacant, that allows me to tick the box of advertising. Landlords and other agents doing comps will see my name advertising that property, which within itself could represent opportunities.

Mid-term, I want to manage 25 properties. The more I get, the more information I have to refine my advertising strategy and gain more properties under my control - a snowball if you will. This would represent an income of $50,000 approximately.

Long-term, I want a minimum of 50 properties under my management. This would represent an income of approximately $100,000. I would be happy with this sum. In theory, I'm sure that I could manage 120 properties (this seems to be the average for those employed in the business) but that would require severe dedication and energy. While I could, it would be far more detrimental than beneficial and result in burn out. Perhaps I could get to this stage, realise it's easier than I thought, and expand into employment? That being said, the idea of being independent, running something how I like specifically (even if wrong), not having to manage staff, and running a nimble, budget business that can pivot as required appeals to my personality.

I am exploring a few different ideas. They fundamentally have any benefit for my business yet I'll explore them anyway. They don't help propagate my name nor do they have any guarantees any more than being an independent operator.

Purchasing rent rolls. These tend to sell for a 3x income multiplier which conventionally would represent an awesome return. Imagine buying something and making a 33% return. There isn't any guarantee that the properties you purchase to manage would even stay or like your business. They also don't immediately offer any ability to advertise my business if there are low vacancies. Buying a sizeable rent roll isn't cheap from what I've seen.

There are franchise opportunities for sale with small brands. Sharing a common brand would be useful for referrals from different regions. However, they have no properties. You're buying a non-entity with some branding. I would imagine that you would get help advertising and training on how to manage. Is it a good use of $30,000? Probably not. Imagine what that sum could do as an advertising budget for myself!​

This thread will detail my efforts to painfully advertise, grow, and derive income from this business. My goal is to provide weekly updates of real results and exertion. This will be another way to hold myself accountable to ensure that I am achieving real results instead of deluding myself.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Following!! Go get em!!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm a 22 year old from New Zealand. Since I turned 18, I derived my income solely from reselling used items. My goal for 2023 has been to change my lifestyle. I've tried to pursue a frugal lifestyle and put money aside to do leanFIRE. Weakness with reselling and my belief that retiring early wouldn't suit my needs has been cause for reevaluation. While reselling is an excellent income that I will likely always do, it isn't something I can solely rely upon for the rest of my life. Ultimately, I need need to diversify and establish a more recurring source of income that offers greater scalability.

I spent a while studying the different businesses I could potentially get into. You see lots of junk online like selling merchandise or dropshipping. I studied the different job opportunities on job classifieds to see the different types of categories available, I looked into the businesses that are available for franchise, as well as the White Pages. Yes, flicking through the White Pages inspired me to pursue property management.

For context: I've always had an absolute fascination for property. I grew up in a small town, where before COVID inflation, it was possible to buy a house with a 10% yield under $100,000. I thought when I turned 18 that it'd just be as simple as getting 20% deposits and then accumulating some awesome cash-flowing houses. Unfortunately, my town experienced tremendous growth (50% capital growth for a few years) which has changed the dynamic for investment. It represents poor value rather than a hidden gem now. All the research I did in anticipation of thinking that I would be able to buy houses has given me an understanding of the broad property market dynamics, legalities of property, politics regarding housing, and the tangibles like the actual structure of the property itself. While I've never owned a house, I certainly believe I've accumulated decent research over the years to understand more than most managers off the bat.

From there, I've established a Word document and began brainstorming the different segments of property management and researching to understand it better. Fundamentally, it is a simple business with very low expenses - you could theoretically get away with doing everything on your phone. I'm attracted to this type of business. I hate the idea of investing a great sum with the potential for profit in a decade but having to subsidise in the meantime. While few businesses succeed with that model, if most businesses don't become self-sustainable soon I consider them to lack any real basis. Property management offers a high rate of profit and promise of paying off the startup capital in a timely fashion.

The bare essentials of the business exist. Social media has been setup as well as a website. However, this is clearly not enough. While I have "small business experience" reselling, this is a completely different ballgame for the requirements of advertising and presence. What currently have is: no network, no brand recognition, no history in the business working for anyone else, no real experience, heck I don't even know anyone where I currently live (moved well away from family/friends to do this in a city). Despite the disadvantages against me, I absolutely know that should I continuously pursue this (and not mere mental masturbation), results will be achieved.

Giving myself clarity is the crux of this thread. I can conceptualise what the business will look like in my mind. The journey needs to be given realistic consideration and planning. The segment I have trouble with, as well as many other businesses would, is advertising from nothing. Seeing the challenge in front of me has made me appreciate about how little the actual business matters and how much marketing does. The Pareto principle certainly applies.

How will I then advertise this property management business? Looking competing property businesses out there, and there are many, they have great budgets to advertise in a multifaceted way. They have:​
  • Retail locations​
  • Branded cars​
  • Radio advertising​
  • TV advertising​
  • Billboards​
  • Signage​
  • Rental listings​
  • Mail advertising​
  • Newspaper inserts​
  • Sponsorships​
  • Social media​
  • Google SEO​
  • Word of mouth​
In comparison, I have nothing, and no campaigns across different mediums that would be funded simultaneously. Did I yet mention that I am bootstrapping this business?

I am absolutely terrible at advertising, yet understanding it is essential for the business to succeed. I spent a few quid on advertising on Facebook to try attract landlords... to no avail. I've also tried delivering mail straight to people's mailboxes to let them know of my services. From that, I gained one like on Facebook and 15 website views by loosely targeting 500 homes.

What I want to try:
- Cold calling
- Windscreen flyers
- Networking with other independent property managers in other regions for referrals

What's recommended by most blogs simply doesn't yet work at my stage. It's difficult to leverage a social media presence of two likes. While it's recommended to make quality content, there isn't any inherent reason for the algorithm to push it without there first being positive engagement on it. Getting more likes and attention to my page is imperative at this stage.

Referrals are an interesting idea, but without any network there isn't anyway it can yet work.

There are great deal of things recommended by websites to help grow the business that wouldn't suit my demographics or result in any business. There's the mainstream recommendations of creating a podcast and a YouTube channel. Landlords with three properties, aged 40+ are going to YouTube to find recommendations for property managers. Could always be wrong though!

In the future, I can imagine my business gaining clients (landlords) on its own. This will be when I'm able to post signage advertising vacancies. On rental websites, people will notice my business advertising properties. It's my intention to get to know neighbours and known in the community. Perhaps I could even receive local newspaper attention. Essentially, the business will have enough recognition on its own for people to naturally levitate towards it.

The immediate issue is simply building that name recognition in the most basic of ways. It's definitely possible as I see beauticians advertise their own home businesses and gain regular business. It's not as if they are savvy advertisers or minds either. If they can do it, so can I.

Gaining name recognition in the short-term is the key goal here. I am going to make a mess of getting there. I will have absolutely no clue how I will get the first 100 likes on Facebook. After that, it will get easier as I am able to refine and see what advertising methods are working for me.

As previously mentioned, my innate ability to do SEO and online advertising outside of online platforms similar to eBay is abysmal. Yet, I know the demographic I am looking for:​
  • People who engage with real estate-related content who are hopefully landlords (low tens of thousands?)​
Efforts made by myself is in pursuit of that established demographic. Due to high interest rates and envious populist tax changes (the removal of interest deductibility against rental income) there aren't new investors. Landlords who are in have been so for years. My promise to them is to offer quality management services (I offer agility that most managers don't) at a mid-line price point. I have to convince people who are either self-managing or with another property management firm (more likely as self-managers are stingy) to trust their property in me.

I have multiple objectives I want to achieve with this business. These are different stages and won't be an overnight endeavour.

Immediate-term, I want to manage one property. Just one. This is a monumental step for the business. It would mean that I have reached a decent amount of landlords (though the specific ratio would be unclear). If the property is vacant, that allows me to tick the box of advertising. Landlords and other agents doing comps will see my name advertising that property, which within itself could represent opportunities.

Mid-term, I want to manage 25 properties. The more I get, the more information I have to refine my advertising strategy and gain more properties under my control - a snowball if you will. This would represent an income of $50,000 approximately.

Long-term, I want a minimum of 50 properties under my management. This would represent an income of approximately $100,000. I would be happy with this sum. In theory, I'm sure that I could manage 120 properties (this seems to be the average for those employed in the business) but that would require severe dedication and energy. While I could, it would be far more detrimental than beneficial and result in burn out. Perhaps I could get to this stage, realise it's easier than I thought, and expand into employment? That being said, the idea of being independent, running something how I like specifically (even if wrong), not having to manage staff, and running a nimble, budget business that can pivot as required appeals to my personality.

I am exploring a few different ideas. They fundamentally have any benefit for my business yet I'll explore them anyway. They don't help propagate my name nor do they have any guarantees any more than being an independent operator.

Purchasing rent rolls. These tend to sell for a 3x income multiplier which conventionally would represent an awesome return. Imagine buying something and making a 33% return. There isn't any guarantee that the properties you purchase to manage would even stay or like your business. They also don't immediately offer any ability to advertise my business if there are low vacancies. Buying a sizeable rent roll isn't cheap from what I've seen.

There are franchise opportunities for sale with small brands. Sharing a common brand would be useful for referrals from different regions. However, they have no properties. You're buying a non-entity with some branding. I would imagine that you would get help advertising and training on how to manage. Is it a good use of $30,000? Probably not. Imagine what that sum could do as an advertising budget for myself!​

This thread will detail my efforts to painfully advertise, grow, and derive income from this business. My goal is to provide weekly updates of real results and exertion. This will be another way to hold myself accountable to ensure that I am achieving real results instead of deluding myself.
I have a friend that manages 100 properties as a one person business. She runs it all from a phone by text. All her tenants can only text her. I don’t know how see manages this.

We were on vacation and one property had a plumbing issue and she spent the whole day texting.

She gets all her business through referrals and in my opinions she’s underpriced.

Rolex Mindset

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 22, 2023
Auckland
Over the last few days, I have been thinking about my original post. That is, the part ascertaining to social media content creation. My original belief was that as my social media is absolutely dead (I only have 2 likes on Facebook), there is no point creating content at the moment as nobody would see it and there is no reason for the algorithm to push it.

I have had a change of heart regarding this point. While nobody will see my posts at the moment, what if by chance someone does see my page? What reason do they have to stick around and like the page? Posting content, while unseen now, would potentially create a pull factor and a reason to like the page for later.

Recently I've analysed the social media of competing businesses. Most of them have anywhere from 400 to 1000 likes. Their average post engagement works out to be 2 likes per post with rarely any comments. Honestly, I find the content they post to be quite dull. While promoting vacancies and mentioning the ones you've leased makes for good business, it isn't content that pulls you in and leaves you wanting more.

How can I be more than just a dull local business with a lame social media presence? I could go for the sensationalist approach. Then I have to question whether or not that's what would draw my demographic in. It would be good for broader attention though, which would in turn help push it up the search rankings. In that form, it could help. Discussing market crashes and using negativity to draw people in could have the adverse effect of people being involved in property all together which would harm my business. There's already a great sentiment of negativity for investors.

Some other content I've noticed from competing business is:
  • Testimonial
  • Sharing news affecting the property market
  • Referral programs
  • Offers of free rental appraisal (standard free service they all do but mention it anyway)
  • Rental market statistics (how much they could expect to rent a property for)
  • Advice for maintaining your property (energy usage, run appliances like dehumidifiers, operate your oven range when cooking)
  • Offers to signup to their free newsletters
  • How property managers can benefit them
  • Emergency news (disasters)
  • How people can get in touch with them
  • Answering questions
  • Market outlooks and analysis

While practical, I find it all dull and to be essentially bare minimum filler content. Safe content if you're already on the page, but it doesn't advance the page. It's not as if people are exactly searching to see if house XX down XXX Street is finally leased. It doesn't make for good SEO in my opinion.

Some content I'm thinking about doing on my own page, in order to make it more interesting is:
  • Abbreviated news updates at regular intervals. Paragraphs to each topic. Interest rates, legal changes, reported news. I can source the news by looking at all the mainstream news sites daily. It would be of personal benefit as well.
  • Property horror stories! Ideally with photos too. Everyone loves a little bit of drama. Stories where the tenant is pitted against the landlord or vice versa would make for good reading. Everyone can chime in with their opinion and perspectives.
  • Weird photos that get people talking. Weird overseas architecture, slumlord solutions, weird renovations (toilets in kitchens), design mistakes.
  • Memes? Maybe?
  • Property market forecasts (as previously alluded to) with a great deal of doom and gloom to get people talking. Negative news always captures people's attention.
  • The occasional reminder regarding our services and what we do as a business.

Deviating away from social media, I have paid a total of NZ$65 to promote my business in the classifieds section of a free local newspaper for 4 weeks. I'm not sure how much attention will result from this. I'd imagine landlords are more likely to read newspapers. I notice property maintenance contractors tend to advertise this way. I don't feel as though as it's going to be the take the business from 0 to 100, but it's an extra layer of advertising.

Google have an offer of $600 of credit when you spend $600. In total, that would be $1200 in advertising. This offer is appreciated as I am trying to build this business on a shoestring budget. However I don't believe the business nor my online presence is yet at the point to benefit from funding such an offer. The ROI doesn't seem that great either. View: https://i.imgur.com/oFGIPC5.png

I've looked into joining a business association (Auckland Business Chamber) but I can't see how it would benefit my business outside of having access to a few discounts. Imagining myself in the shoes of a landlord, I can't imagine they would go to the business association to try find a manager. The "networking" benefits are probably well overstated.

An enquiry has been made into joining a property association (REINZ). This would cost NZ$350+GST annually which is more affordable on the surface, until you see their other requirements. Being a REINZ member does have some prestige to it though. Until I have other requirements met like handling rental payments in a trust bank account, I'm ineligible.

To find landlords, I spent some time looking at reviews of competing businesses on Facebook and Google. From this exercise, I managed to jot down a few names of landlords. The reviews are typically a few years old - which means some may have exited the market since. Most of them would only be approachable through social media initially. However, as they've usually given ringing endorsements of these companies, it maybe a fruitless endeavour.

The idea of going to household hardware stores and dropping windscreen flyers onto cars looks ever increasingly attractive to me. I do feel shy about doing this however - I wouldn't want to be prohibited to going to these stores personally. I'm sure that once I do it, the inertia will be easily overcome. This would be as close as a single circle Venn diagram as it would get.

I've been thinking about the idea of getting in touch with contractors for some quid pro quo. I'd let them know about my business and in return genuinely enquire if they are available to work on demand. If so, just remind them that I exist. It benefits me in a real sense as I do need contractors in my contact list. There isn't a great likelihood of business coming from this initially, but as more name becomes more propagated, it becomes an extra layer.

I may also get in touch with other independent property managers in other areas of the country. I notice on Facebook there are questions from property managers about who can help in other areas of the country. I will list out all the independent operators I can see in other regions, and then contact them. It becomes mutually beneficial. As I could refer business to them and vice versa. It's another way of getting my name out there too, particularly among professionals.

I'm not at any scale that I could yet benefit from a referral program, yet it is something I could see as having a decent return once I do have some social media attention.

I may start cold calling soon but I'm not sure there would be an achievable conversion rate from this. That being said, I only need one in order for the ball to start rolling. The way I would source the phone numbers is simply through the phone books. However a lot of time would be wasted using this method. That being said, even if 1 in 100 people are landlords, it could provide some dividends this way. Picking up the phone and talking is frightening on the surface but like the windscreen flyers, I'd quickly get used to it. It's just a matter of doing it.

I have some other ideas for advertising too:
Sticking mailers on community boardsBillboardsRadioPhonebook (landlords are older)Shameless plugs in Facebook groups
Messaging people in FB groupsAttending landlord networking eventsGoing to developers to promote my nameOnce I have vacancies, signs on fencesGet myself in the media
Sticker bombing petrol station pumpsCar magnet (but how many people will really see this?)SuperGold card concessions

I feel as if it's easy to celebrate the smallest of jobs when in reality you're barely moving. For example, I don't have any business cards yet. It would be smart for me to print some. However, when I give another update, it may have 50% of the weighting after messaging only a handful of people and getting distracted with other nonsense. This is the frustrating part about distractions and not giving it your all. It's lying to myself and delaying the success that I should have.

A lot of jobs done to build a business and words said don't matter. What I need to remind myself to do is just start brutally marketing myself. What am I doing daily to move the needle that little bit more? We often talk about incomes in annual terms, let's say $100,000, while forgetting that you only get that by earning $50/hr at a time. Being frank, I don't believe I am being incremental daily yet I forecast great fortunes. It's time I do more daily to propagate my business and get some momentum.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

• Retail locations​
  • Branded cars​
  • Radio advertising​
  • TV advertising​
  • Billboards​
  • Signage​
  • Rental listings​
  • Mail advertising​
  • Newspaper inserts​
  • Sponsorships​
  • Social media​
  • Google SEO​
  • Word of mouth​

What I want to try:
- Cold calling
- Windscreen flyers

I've read this thread.

Here in the US it takes a RE broker's license and a trust account that, is State supervised, to manage properties and handle other people's money.

It doesn't sound like you have experience in this field. And you say you've never owned a property. Have you thought about going to work for a management firm to get your feet wet? There are a lot of day-to-day issues you might want to get under your belt before you jump in.

I kind of know something about this business. I'm in my 47th year in the RE business. I manage my own properties and rentals. I'm a professional RE investor who retired 20 years ago. I'm just not good at being retired.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I have a friend that manages 100 properties as a one person business. She runs it all from a phone by text. All her tenants can only text her. I don’t know how see manages this.

We were on vacation and one property had a plumbing issue and she spent the whole day texting.

She gets all her business through referrals and in my opinions she’s underpriced.

Bio, do you have any idea on how she got started? Is she happy running such biz?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Bio, do you have any idea on how she got started? Is she happy running such biz?
I think she was a realtor and ended up managing properties that she helped people purchase. I believe those were her first properties. I can ask next time I see her.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.