The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sugar-free hot chocolate idea!

Idea threads

Kevin5563

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 22, 2023
Hey guys I recently started the creation of the idea of " sugar-free hot chocolate in tea bag form" just like traditional tea, you could easily drink your hot chocolate right away without having to mix it in a cup. It would be more convenient, faster, and less of a chunky mess at the bottom of your cup. It can offer a new experience to consumers, which could be a strong selling point while differentiating from traditional hot chocolate powders and mixes. I overheard a girl in public saying to her friend "i wish there was hot chocolate in the form of a tea bag" so I decided to give it a shot and wondered how it hasn't been created yet. There's a significant and growing demand for health-conscious food and beverage options, and i believe this can cater to this trend. First batch was pretty tasteless and dull, so we will see how it goes with more tests. Nothing is set in stone, but let me know your thoughts below guys!

Thanks!
Kevin

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Anon45x4yB

Hey guys I recently started the creation of the idea of " sugar-free hot chocolate in tea bag form" just like traditional tea, you could easily drink your hot chocolate right away without having to mix it in a cup. It would be more convenient, faster, and less of a chunky mess at the bottom of your cup. It can offer a new experience to consumers, which could be a strong selling point while differentiating from traditional hot chocolate powders and mixes. I overheard a girl in public saying to her friend "i wish there was hot chocolate in the form of a tea bag" so I decided to give it a shot and wondered how it hasn't been created yet. There's a significant and growing demand for health-conscious food and beverage options, and i believe this can cater to this trend. First batch was pretty tasteless and dull, so we will see how it goes with more tests. Nothing is set in stone, but let me know your thoughts below guys!

Thanks!
Kevin
Sounds great, but who is your product for ? Have you identified your ideal customer ?
Keep it up!

Plushy

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 19, 2023
USA
Oh! I would be your target audience. I drink hot chocolate in replacement of coffee, and I'm sugar-free.
Another alternative to coffee which is also caffeine free is rooibos tea.

I think the problem is that in a teabag form, cocoa is too dilute. That's why the cocoa powder has to be blended into the milk or water, and in that case the cocoa particles settle which is also a problem. I think the milk base helps emulsify cocoa. But I'm also dairy free xD so I mix it with water.
It would be really cool if you sold iced chocolate drinks like the iced Frappuccino.

I would love if you have a dark chocolate version because that would concentrate the antioxidants.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023
Too good to believe! If I get a godown/warehouse full of this product (chocolate in a tea bag, without tea of course!), given that it does what it says, I can guarantee that I can sell a minimum of a Hundred Thousand bags within the first 3 months, 4 months Max with a pre-order of at least double the sales to begin with!

Without a proven sample, I am not buying it unless proven scientifically!

Congratulations on hitting the Gold Mine! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023
Sounds great, but who is your product for ? Have you identified your ideal customer ?
Keep it up!
Everyone with a liking to chocolate is a customer! A Hot Chocolate drink, packed in a bag - Priceless on cold mornings at work or cold evenings after working out ( No Sugar) ... every living organism will be a customer!

But it does not come in a tea bag and I highly doubt Nescafe not spending a million on this idea some 2 decades ago!

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
Why is it in tea bag form more preferable to a powder that you just empty and throw away (existing form)? It seems a step backwards because now you have to deal with wet tea bag.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023
Why is it in tea bag form more preferable to a powder that you just empty and throw away (existing form)? It seems a step backwards because now you have to deal with wet tea bag.

Let me enjoy the grin on my Face...

Before I type "Ease" !!!!

Wet tea bag? It always goes in the package it came from, and the package goes into the trash can/dustbin!

Last edited:

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
Let me enjoy the grin on my Face...

Before I type "Ease" !!!!

Wet tea bag? It always goes in the package it came from, and the package goes into the trash can/dustbin!
How is that easier than dumping the contents from the existing envelope types in your mug and throwing that dry envelope in the trash?

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Hot chocolate is not in a bag for the same reason powdered soup isn't. Or powdered cough medicine.

They are 100% consumable and mix with the water to form the drink. Hence stirring. It's the fastest most efficient way.

Tea is in a bag, or strained, for a reason. You don't ingest the leaves, you have to remove them. The flavours are infused from the leaves hence leaving it to brew. You don't brew any of the above. They're instantaneous once stirred.

Put a spoonful of hot chocolate powder on a spoon and dip it into a mug of hot water and see what happens. Nothing much. You won't have a hot chocolate drink unless you stir it. You'll just have a lump of melted chocolate on your spoon. This is what would happen inside your bag, it wouldn't mix.

If you were thinking from a single use point of view, chocolate, coffee, soups, medicines are already sold in single use 'bags' called sachets.

Dan

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023
How is that easier than dumping the contents from the existing envelope types in your mug and throwing that dry envelope in the trash?

You must stir the contents if you dump them in the Mug. That means you require an extra item to prepare the drink and then deal with the wet spoon.

Put a spoonful of hot chocolate powder on a spoon and dip it into a mug of hot water and see what happens. Nothing much. You won't have a hot chocolate drink unless you stir it. You'll just have a lump of melted chocolate on your spoon. This is what would happen inside your bag, it wouldn't mix.

Dan

Exactly!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
You must stir the contents if you dump them in the Mug. That means you require an extra item to prepare the drink and then deal with the wet spoon.

You would also have to stir the bag, where's the extra item? The bag is the extra item, it's literally creating trash in a world where we are trying to reduce waste. Apart from that, the powder would clog up the holes and most of the chocolate would go to waste.

My advice to the OP would be to keep thinking of ideas, but bin this one.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023
You would also have to stir the bag, where's the extra item?

Have you ever used a tea bag?

Apart from that, the powder would clog up the holes and most of the chocolate would go to waste.

Everyone is talking about this, and I am also skeptical about it.
But chocolate in a tea bag might be possible with a different material as material technology has progressed so much!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Have you ever used a tea bag?
All the time, I'm English. :)

But chocolate in a tea bag might be possible with a different material as material technology has progressed so much!

Maybe, but is it worth finding out? I don't know the answer to that, but I would advise you find it out before you go any further. Ultimately the cost of bagging it up (in possibly a costly material) has to be minimal for you to be able to make reasonable margins. Remember, if it does blow up you will want to start selling it wholesale and wholesalers tend to want at least a 50% reduction on the retail price.

What are your potential competitors doing? Are the big hot chocolate makers offering any other way to take your drink?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, it just sounds like you could potentially spend a lot of money before you even have a minimum viable product. So try and get a research sample size bigger than one.

Have you asked your friends whom like hot chocolate if they would consider using a bag?

The answer for me is no because adding exactly how much I want with a teaspoon and stirring it in is no hassle to me. I don't remember ever being upset at a bit left at the bottom of the cup.

But hey, that's just me, and I also am just one person. So go and collect that data!

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023

Maybe, but is it worth finding out? I don't know the answer to that, but I would advise you find it out before you go any further. Ultimately the cost of bagging it up (in possibly a costly material) has to be minimal for you to be able to make reasonable margins. Remember, if it does blow up you will want to start selling it wholesale and wholesalers tend to want at least a 50% reduction on the retail price.

What are your potential competitors doing? Are the big hot chocolate makers offering any other way to take your drink?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, it just sounds like you could potentially spend a lot of money before you even have a minimum viable product. So try and get a research sample size bigger than one.

Have you asked your friends whom like hot chocolate if they would consider using a bag?

The answer for me is no because adding exactly how much I want with a teaspoon and stirring it in is no hassle to me. I don't remember ever being upset at a bit left at the bottom of the cup.

But hey, that's just me, and I also am just one person. So go and collect that data!

I am not the OP. LOL.

Though I would buy the Choco Bags "If" they tend to work effectively! Efficient working is the problem to be solved by the OP!

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
Could be just me but I believe it would be far more likely to succeed if you focused on what actually matters. Sugar-free is great, now add organic, source it from 3rd world countries, thus supporting impoverished regions (and include that in your story), and use recyclable packaging that screams: "I'm saving the world".

Sugar-free, organic, supports the poor, supports the environment, tastes amazing, and is healthy. Get all of that in your product.

Kevin5563

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 22, 2023
Oh! I would be your target audience. I drink hot chocolate in replacement of coffee, and I'm sugar-free.
Another alternative to coffee which is also caffeine free is rooibos tea.

I think the problem is that in a teabag form, cocoa is too dilute. That's why the cocoa powder has to be blended into the milk or water, and in that case the cocoa particles settle which is also a problem. I think the milk base helps emulsify cocoa. But I'm also dairy free xD so I mix it with water.
It would be really cool if you sold iced chocolate drinks like the iced Frappuccino.

I would love if you have a dark chocolate version because that would concentrate the antioxidants.
thanks! Would love to do an iced or dark chocolate version

Kevin5563

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 22, 2023
Too good to believe! If I get a godown/warehouse full of this product (chocolate in a tea bag, without tea of course!), given that it does what it says, I can guarantee that I can sell a minimum of a Hundred Thousand bags within the first 3 months, 4 months Max with a pre-order of at least double the sales to begin with!

Without a proven sample, I am not buying it unless proven scientifically!

Congratulations on hitting the Gold Mine! :thumbsup:
hahahaha thanks

Kevin5563

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 22, 2023
Everyone with a liking to chocolate is a customer! A Hot Chocolate drink, packed in a bag - Priceless on cold mornings at work or cold evenings after working out ( No Sugar) ... every living organism will be a customer!

But it does not come in a tea bag and I highly doubt Nescafe not spending a million on this idea some 2 decades ago!
maybe they missed it ;)

Kevin5563

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 22, 2023
Hot chocolate is not in a bag for the same reason powdered soup isn't. Or powdered cough medicine.

They are 100% consumable and mix with the water to form the drink. Hence stirring. It's the fastest most efficient way.

Tea is in a bag, or strained, for a reason. You don't ingest the leaves, you have to remove them. The flavours are infused from the leaves hence leaving it to brew. You don't brew any of the above. They're instantaneous once stirred.

If you were thinking from a single use point of view, chocolate, coffee, soups, medicines are already sold in single use 'bags' called sachets.

Dan
Very Valid points here, either way it will be fun to experiment

Kevin5563

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 22, 2023
Very valid points here. Either way, it will be fun to experiment

Kevin5563

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 22, 2023
Could be just me but I believe it would be far more likely to succeed if you focused on what actually matters. Sugar-free is great, now add organic, source it from 3rd world countries, thus supporting impoverished regions (and include that in your story), and use recyclable packaging that screams: "I'm saving the world".

Sugar-free, organic, supports the poor, supports the environment, tastes amazing, and is healthy. Get all of that in your product.
I was going to do the recycling packaging for sure and use disposable tea bags. Thanks for the awesome points i will look into organic as well

Kevin5563

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 22, 2023
I am not the OP. LOL.

Though I would buy the Choco Bags "If" they tend to work effectively! Efficient working is the problem to be solved by the OP!
Glad I have my first customer ;) but yeah, the testing hasn't been going well. I'm going to experiment a little more but I'm still having an issue with it being too watery and the powder clumping. Stay tuned...

Kevin5563

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 22, 2023

Thanks for the feedback dude. I've definitely had people say that would love to try it

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.