The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

taking a nap

Malcolm_X

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Nov 6, 2015
Germany
How do you guys manage your sleeping pattern ? Do you practice afternoon naps ?
I've noticed that for me taking a 25 min nap in the afternoon is perfect and helps with productivity.. otherwise I just drag myself throughout the afternoon / evening and can't get focused.

However my current issue is that I don't have the right environment to take a nap. Usually I leave home in the morning and get back in the evening.. so all day I am either at work, university or gym.
If I had a car, I'd just go to take my nap there after lunch (breakfast for me).. but I don't.

Anybody with a similar situation ? If you're not self-employed (which I want to slowly transfer into of course), do you take a nap at work ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I don't usually take naps every day. I usually just listen to my body. In the past if I was at work, on break I would cat nap in the car, but it usually was in an isolated area, in nature, and not many people around. It just depends on what is going on in your life and how much activity you're doing. After work I might have taken a nap for two hours if I had to get up at 5 a.m. and worked a long shift.

Again it depended on how many hours I worked. I know in 2012 I was working 12 hour shifts and than had two more hours at another place afterwards. I was more focused on staying awake at that point, because I had to drive 25 miles in between, and work two more hours.

I ended up drinking a lot of coffee or Mountain Due. I usually don't like taking naps unless I know I have the time, because once I'm out, I don't like getting back up, and it's harder for me to get motivated. The problem with health care is, you don't get to be late, and there's no one to replace you. You have to be there period. So regardless how I felt, I had to be there.

G

Guest34764

When I get home everyday i usually pass out for a few hours.Couldn't call it a nap but when i wake up half my day is gone.It's a bad cycle to get into,I'm just so sleepy all the time so unless i drink coffee when i get home (i already do in the morning) I'll fall asleep :p

I couldn't say it helps with productivity but it sure makes me feel better.

TextbookAnswers

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Nov 30, 2014
Chicago
I personally do not take naps. Right now it is a luxury I can not afford. The other day I took one ( after working until 4 am on a project and proposal ). The next day I was very tired. Around 11 pm, the night I pulled an all-nighter - I visited Appsumo.com and they had a special on the Brain.fm app for $25 and I have been trying that out. I used it the night I stayed up and it was worse than caffeine. I was wired to the 10th degree until I forced myself to sleep. When I was younger that would have been ok. But I have a 7 and 2 year that wants pancakes at 6 am regardless of how long I sleep.....

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Yes, I am not self-employed and I do try to take a brief nap at work. It's perfectly normal for a person* to start to feel sleepy after 7 hours or so after waking up in the morning. As this usually coincides with lunch, you get the added effect of having to deal with the fact that your body is digesting your lunch. Rather than slog through 2 hours of sluggishness, I find getting away and closing my eyes for 10 minutes help to refresh and restore.

* This does not apply to everyone, of course.

Dream&Achieve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 24, 2015
How do you guys manage your sleeping pattern ? Do you practice afternoon naps ?
I've noticed that for me taking a 25 min nap in the afternoon is perfect and helps with productivity.. otherwise I just drag myself throughout the afternoon / evening and can't get focused.

However my current issue is that I don't have the right environment to take a nap. Usually I leave home in the morning and get back in the evening.. so all day I am either at work, university or gym.
If I had a car, I'd just go to take my nap there after lunch (breakfast for me).. but I don't.

Anybody with a similar situation ? If you're not self-employed (which I want to slowly transfer into of course), do you take a nap at work ?
I used to take a nap at least once a day, but now that school and basketball has started I don't have any time for a nap.

Malcolm_X

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Nov 6, 2015
Germany
thanks a lot. Not sure if it's the best practice here on forums to like everyone's comment.. it feels weird, hah. But I can fully agree with everything that has been written. Now my only concern will be trying to find a suitable place for a 20 min rest...

chriss.greig

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Nov 16, 2014
Let your body dictate but avoid all nighters they just destroy the next week or so while you readjust imho. I used to do them for development alot.. and while its fun.. days afterwards are terrible.

Bee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
May 16, 2015
It may initially seem counter-productive, however going for a short walk or doing a short micro workout can really help boost your energy levels. When you can't sleep, exercise will bring more oxygen and energy to your brain. A 2-5minute workout is an awesome way to increase your alertness and productivity. I personally do a micro workout approximately every 2 hours while I am working and I have cut out an afternoon sleep all together.
Having said that - sleep is awesome! I agree that a 25 minute nap is sometimes just the thing you need. Listen to your body!

Malcolm_X

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Nov 6, 2015
Germany
It may initially seem counter-productive, however going for a short walk or doing a short micro workout can really help boost your energy levels. When you can't sleep, exercise will bring more oxygen and energy to your brain. A 2-5minute workout is an awesome way to increase your alertness and productivity. I personally do a micro workout approximately every 2 hours while I am working and I have cut out an afternoon sleep all together.
Having said that - sleep is awesome! I agree that a 25 minute nap is sometimes just the thing you need. Listen to your body!
Thanks. Will try to incorporate that somehow.

Kallin Trotman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Dec 30, 2015
Melbourne
Nap if you need it and it works. Keep them short though.

Also
make sure the food you eat works well for your body,, it can make a huge difference. When I was powerlifting I would eat a lot of food that I now know doesn't make me feel healthy. I would be tired almost all the time.

Also make sure you are not complacent. Go and get rejected every so often, I guarantee your tiredness will disappear.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Nov 23, 2015
Nap if you need it and it works. Keep them short though.

Also
make sure the food you eat works well for your body,, it can make a huge difference. When I was powerlifting I would eat a lot of food that I now know doesn't make me feel healthy. I would be tired almost all the time.

Also make sure you are not complacent. Go and get rejected every so often, I guarantee your tiredness will disappear.

Personally speaking as i have gone deeper and deeper into building my software out, i am noticing i am sleeping at all different times.

Sometimes a nap is like 2 hours long, but it gets me going for another 6. There are days where i don't worry about the time on the clock.. "Oh shit, its 2:30am, i should get to sleep" Starting to listen to my body more.

brewster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 25, 2014
Austin, TX
When I get afternoon fatigue, I usually lay down for 30 minutes and read a book. It usually does the job, while still staying productive and taking in knowledge.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
Interesting opinions in this thread. I had always been someone who struggled with naps. It was either too hard for me to fall asleep, or, I would wake up and feel all disoriented (hated that). However, recently, I've been feeling my energy levels sucked dry and have taken naps a couple times (no more than 45 minutes) and actually felt way better afterward. I usually get up around 630-7am and have a whole morning routine thing that I do. Unfortunately, it's hard for me to fall asleep anytime before 1am. Used to have really bad insomnia and anxiety at night and the naps actually have seemed to help with getting out of the funk. Perhaps I am just getting old?

Ma Co

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 2, 2012
Vietnam
Taking a nap gets back my focus and quickly restores my energy to stay motivated with my projects.

I have tried many other audios before but the Hemi-Sync's "Catnapper" successfully beams me into sleeping recharge mode every time.

Malcolm_X

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Nov 6, 2015
Germany
Recently I started with a nootropic stack and what I've noticed is that I require less sleep actually... which wasn't my goal tbh, as I do train heavy in the gym as well, and sleep is one of the primary factors for gainz :punch:
Before, I was really ready for an afternoon nap.. now, I feel a bit tired and 'overwhelmed' by information, when I read / stare at a screen for 4-5 hrs straight. But I just can't fall asleep. So usually I just lay down and listen to audio books, just to give the eyes a bit rest.

Chris90120

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Oct 17, 2014
Interesting opinions in this thread. I had always been someone who struggled with naps. It was either too hard for me to fall asleep, or, I would wake up and feel all disoriented (hated that). However, recently, I've been feeling my energy levels sucked dry and have taken naps a couple times (no more than 45 minutes) and actually felt way better afterward. I usually get up around 630-7am and have a whole morning routine thing that I do. Unfortunately, it's hard for me to fall asleep anytime before 1am. Used to have really bad insomnia and anxiety at night and the naps actually have seemed to help with getting out of the funk. Perhaps I am just getting old?
I had the exact same sleep routine. Wake up at 6-7:30 am and couldn't get to sleep before 1am due to anxiety and insomnia. It might be a gift!
Recently I started with a nootropic stack and what I've noticed is that I require less sleep actually... which wasn't my goal tbh, as I do train heavy in the gym as well, and sleep is one of the primary factors for gainz :punch:
Before, I was really ready for an afternoon nap.. now, I feel a bit tired and 'overwhelmed' by information, when I read / stare at a screen for 4-5 hrs straight. But I just can't fall asleep. So usually I just lay down and listen to audio books, just to give the eyes a bit rest.

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I often do the 'caffeine nap'. Take in a good bit of caffeine (coffee, soda), then immediately go down for a power nap. I usually wake up in 20 to 30 minutes, JUST as the caffeine is kicking in. Feels fantastic.

We have a nap area in the office (which is highly underrated for recruiting!). So this helps get me through the day when needed.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
We have a nap area in the office (which is highly underrated for recruiting!).
That's a great idea. Might have to incorporate that in the future. Thanks.

I've tried to nap during my lunch break, at my current JOB, and it's been difficult to find places that are secluded or quiet. I've had better luck at a previous employer where I had my own office (with a door!) or a parking lot that had a shaded area to lean the seat back and snore! It certainly is helpful.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
IMHO meditation is a better alternative to napping.

Napping often leaves you (okay, me) groggy and irritable. It takes me 30-60 minutes to recover from a nap, which kind of defeats the point for me.

Meditation however, has this amazing way to kill all those horrible feelings and stressors that build up over a day, wash them clean, and leave your mind feeling like a clean slate. I feel more energetic, in a better mood, and ready to jump back into things.

All you need to do to start is to simply sit or lie comfortably (even in an office chair at your desk is fine), close your eyes, take deep breathes and focus on those breaths. If your mind tries thinking of anything just bring your focus gently back to your breathing - being distracted is okay as long as you acknowledge it, let it go, and come back to your focus. That's literally it. Do it right now - you'll feel amazing even after just 5 minutes. The idea is to not think about anything other than the present moment. Not what you'll do after it's done, not the guy who flipped you off on the way to work, just your breathing. Your mind literally "shuts down" many of it's over-worked sections for a while and you end up feeling mentally rejuvenated.

In essence, it's a wakeful nap.

Sometimes if you don't like focusing on breathing I like focusing purely on my own body - what my small toe feels like at this moment, the pressure of the chair I'm sitting in against my back, an itch behind my ear I didn't notice until now, etc... Alternatively you can just sit and focus all your attention on what you hear around you. A bird in the distance, your chair squeaking that you never noticed before, the hum of your computer, the fan making the hum, how it goes from high to low speed as you listen, etc...

Basically focus on anything "in the now" without analyzing or dwelling on it is fine.

I keep meaning to pick up books on the subject of mindfulness (what I described above) but honestly what little I know (everything above) works tremendously as-is.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.