The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Teaching People to Lose Weight as Fatty BoomBatty

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

Most people on this forum will be like “uhhh a fat guy teaching me how to lose weight?! Wtf!!”

And that’s wrong.

Nick Bollettieri is the greatest tennis coach in history. Produced over 10 grand slam champions, including the likes of Agassi, Williams sisters, Sharapova, and so on.

And he knew nothing about tennis. Never played professionally.

Baby, I don’t know half of what most coaches know about pronation, turning hips and shoulders, the dynamics of the stroke, centrifugal force. Shit, I don’t know any of that.

All I know is that I wanted to be a winner and with winners.

That’s what he said.

Which is why I’ve always told people who wanted to go coach to do it. Stop waiting to “be a pro” first. Stop waiting to get results for yourself first. Being a pro and being a good teacher are two entirely different things.

If you prefer being the teacher, start teaching. Get results for your students. That’s what matters.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Most people on this forum will be like “uhhh a fat guy teaching me how to lose weight?! Wtf!!”

And that’s wrong.

Nick Bollettieri is the greatest tennis coach in history. Produced over 10 grand slam champions, including the likes of Agassi, Williams sisters, Sharapova, and so on.

And he knew nothing about tennis. Never played professionally.

Baby, I don’t know half of what most coaches know about pronation, turning hips and shoulders, the dynamics of the stroke, centrifugal force. Shit, I don’t know any of that.

All I know is that I wanted to be a winner and with winners.

That’s what he said.

Which is why I’ve always told people who wanted to go coach to do it. Stop waiting to “be a pro” first. Stop waiting to get results for yourself first. Being a pro and being a good teacher are two entirely different things.

If you prefer being the teacher, start teaching. Get results for your students. That’s what matters.
K

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ah yes, "fake it until you make it" fodder for the plebs.

No doubt Bollettieri was a great coach with great results, and he also had tennis experience. He grew because he was successful and effective—a productocracy—not because he had great marketing and spent $1M a month in the tennis magazine.

In other news, Joe Blow smoked 3 packs of cigarettes for 70 years and didn't get lung cancer.

I'd like to see that article too.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019

And how do you reckon that’s done?

Trial and error?

Imagine not knowing anything about physics or mathematics and becoming an engineering teacher.

“Just produce results for your students”

I’m not sure if this post is a joke or if you seriously thought it was meaningful insight.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2022
And that’s wrong.
Scientifically, that is correct. What a fat guy says to me about losing weight might be absolutely correct.

But why is he saying that to me?

Why is he not applying it to himself?

Why is he selling a 297 EUR course to lose weight?

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
And how do you reckon that’s done?

Trial and error?

Imagine not knowing anything about physics or mathematics and becoming an engineering teacher.

“Just produce results for your students”

I’m not sure if this post is a joke or if you seriously thought it was meaningful insight.
Learning about something is different than doing it yourself. Sure, you need to LEARN how to get results for others. For example, when it comes to weight loss, you need to study what the keys are.

Maybe the keys are exercise + food.

In that case you need to study what exercise, and what food.

Read about other people's experience. Read what other teachers have said.

Apply things on others.

See what works.

The bottom line is that teaching X and practicing X are two different things.

So if you want to teach X, you need to start by learning what the keys to success with X are. And guess what, you’re not going to learn that by practicing X LOL — you’re going to learn from the experience of the greats who have already gone through everything.

I didn’t suggest you start teaching engineering or bridge design with 0 study. No, you MUST study.

What I said is that it may very well be possible to teach bridge design with 0 practical experience. In fact, there are professors in top universities doing just that. They’ve learned from case studies, the experience of others, and so on.

However, this forum does have a bias against coaching and teaching generally. These are viewed by most as 2nd class professions, especially if the said person isn’t top 1% at practicing the skill they want to teach or coach about.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
But why is he saying that to me?

Why is he not applying it to himself?

Why is he selling a 297 EUR course to lose weight?
1) Obviously because he wants to help you lose weight and get paid for helping you do it. Why, is getting paid for it something to be ashamed of?

2) Many reasons. Maybe he doesn’t want to lose weight, because he loves food more than the disadvantages of being overweight. That’s just one example — but there can be a ton of possible reasons.

3) Because he wants to make money by helping people lose weight. No shame in that.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
What I said is that it may very well be possible to teach bridge design with 0 practical experience. In fact, there are professors in top universities doing just that. They’ve learned from case studies, the experience of others, and so on.

I suppose where we differ in opinion is that imo people with 0 practical experience aren't worth learning from.

The fatty boombatty who has read all the books and recipes and "knows" the keys to being healthy but can't himself become healthy isn't a good teacher because he's oblivious to what's holding him back.

It's perhaps that variable he ought to be learning about - and likely what keeps others as fat F*cks despite "knowing" all about health from Huberman's podcast.

The teacher who has no experience building bridges but teaches others how to do so likewise doesn't understand that the way he's teaching it is perhaps not the way it ought to be taught, since that form of teaching has only kept him in a loop of teaching others instead of actually building bridges.

Clearly - if you can't do a thing, you're not best positioned to teach others how to do it.

Doesn't mean you can't become a teacher.

I just wouldn't advise others to follow that path, or anybody else to listen to the advice of the phony experts.

This is how we end up with a credentialed class of dumbasses with all of the PhDs in the world and 0 ability to think and act for themselves.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2022
1) Obviously because he wants to help you lose weight and get paid for helping you do it. Why, is getting paid for it something to be ashamed of?

2) Many reasons. Maybe he doesn’t want to lose weight, because he loves food more than the disadvantages of being overweight. That’s just one example — but there can be a ton of possible reasons.

3) Because he wants to make money by helping people lose weight. No shame in that.
I can understand the selling shovels in the gold rush concept. You do not need to believe in the gold but you gotta believe in the value of the shovel you are selling.

As I said, logically what you say makes sense, but I would not buy.

I don't feel comfortable. And I believe many other consumers. And selling is an emotional game. Not a logical one.

Economists have f*cked up this one for hundreds of years.

They assumed that the consumer is rational.

But we still gave them Nobel Prizes.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
The teacher who has no experience building bridges but teaches others how to do so likewise doesn't understand that the way he's teaching it is perhaps not the way it ought to be taught, since that form of teaching has only kept him in a loop of teaching others instead of actually building bridges.
This is only true if he has no experience and follow-up with the results his students are getting afterwards. Or with how his field is evolving over time.

If he is involved with this, there is no doubt he is learning.

This is how you can refine your methods as a teacher. And I daresay that a teacher knows A LOT MORE than a practitioner about how things ought to be taught (since he sees the results of teaching) AND also about how they ought to be DONE — because he THINKS about it. The doer mostly DOES — follows building codes, etc. following procedures isn’t how innovation occurs.

Very often it is precisely those who are not in the straightjacket of procedures who innovate — and very often they are THINKERS… people who spend their time coming up with new ideas and turning things on all sides. A doer has no time for this — he needs to get it done. He doesn’t care about better.

Do you think Roger Federer cared about a novel way to hit a forehand?! Nah! The dude was too busy perfecting his craft rather than experimenting with weird hits that may lead to innovation.

I suppose where we differ in opinion is that imo people with 0 practical experience aren't worth learning from.

The fatty boombatty who has read all the books and recipes and "knows" the keys to being healthy but can't himself become healthy isn't a good teacher because he's oblivious to what's holding him back.
You’re a smart guy. I know you can’t believe something this aberrant deep down.

Just because he isn’t healthy/fit himself doesn’t mean he’s not aware of what’s holding him back or WHY he isn’t fit.

You’re assuming that he is actively trying to lose weight and failing to do it. Which may not be the case. (And as a sidenote, even if it was, it does not follow that he wouldn’t be able to help someone else lose weight. Because, once again, when you help someone else you have an objective point of view, and you’re not influenced by your emotions, and can thus take better decisions than you do for yourself).

Freud knew that smoking was killing him. But he kept smoking those cigars and never wanted to stop in the first place. He’d rather have had a shorter life wherein he enjoyed his vice, than a longer one wherein he was deprived of it.

Because guess what. Some people would rather have the enjoyment of food, than the enjoyment of being fit. Not everyone has the same values. Don’t forget that.

As I said, logically what you say makes sense, but I would not buy.

I don't feel comfortable
Dig deeper. Why don’t you feel comfortable? If the guy shows you results from people who have lost weight applying his course? If he lets you to SPEAK with those people? Would you still not buy? I doubt it.

Furthermore, saying that you would buy from the lean and fit guy instead, all things being equal, would, frankly speaking, mean that you’re not very intelligent, and you’re not bothered by it.

Most consumers aren’t smart. That’s why they get scammed all the time LOL. Iman Ghadzi flashes a lambo in front of you, and you take out your wallet and pay him. Literarily, scamming consumers is the easiest job ever, because they never think very deeply about things. They are persuaded by what is most superficial.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
he teacher who has no experience building bridges but teaches others how to do so likewise doesn't understand that the way he's teaching it is perhaps not the way it ought to be taught, since that form of teaching has only kept him in a loop of teaching others instead of actually building bridges.

A personal experience here:

In college when I was studying petroleum engineering, in my senior year we had 2 drilling engineering courses.

They were unnecessarily rigorous and dumb courses from which I learned next to nothing.

In well design, you have to design the top portions of the wellbore in accordance with what the bottomhole conditions your completions engineer wants.

Now in that course, if during an exam you selected the wrong casing size for the top portion of the well, all of your answers downstream were wrong.

I had countless friends who failed and dropped out of the program because of that.

Oce I became a petroleum engineer and started working for an oil and gas exploration company, I learned about drilling by watching a well being drilled.

We all studied the well-design before drilling commenced. We worked with the petrophysicists, the geophysicists, the managers, etc. to understand what was being done, why it was being done, and how we were going to move forward with the drilling program to achieve our goal.

During drilling I stayed up (the process is active 24/7) to learn why we were doing x or y or z. We studied the problems we encountered and how to overcome them.

After we finished drilling one well, I knew all I needed to know for all the other wells we drilled in that basin.

That first well took 40 days to drill, and I became more or less proficient in drilling engineering.

And that teacher that taught us drilling in college? I learned he's stealing his slides from company men who are actually drilling wells. Meanwhile his self-acclaimed grandeur and PhD and bullshit led him to discourage and drop students out of the program for choosing the wrong casing size during an exam.

In practice, nobody would choose the wrong casing size because you work in a multi-disciplinary group of people and any issue in the drilling program would be resolved before drilling commences.

But you wouldn't know this unless you actually did the thing.

Just because he isn’t healthy/fit himself doesn’t mean he’s not aware of what’s holding him back or WHY he isn’t fit.

1712943126781.png

Nothing aberrant about refusing to take health advice from a fatty boombatty.

This is how you can refine your methods as a teacher. And I daresay that a teacher knows A LOT MORE than a practitioner about how things ought to be taught (since he sees the results of teaching) AND also about how they ought to be DONE — because he THINKS about it. The doer mostly DOES — follows building codes, etc. following procedures isn’t how innovation occurs.

Very often it is precisely those who are not in the straightjacket of procedures who innovate — and very often they are THINKERS… people who spend their time coming up with new ideas and turning things on all sides. A doer has no time for this — he needs to get it done. He doesn’t care about better.

Thinking and doing are inseparable. They're only separate in how we abstract them using language.

You can't be the best "thinker" without being simultaneously the best "doer".

Can't dig deeper into this without getting into a debate about the nature of perception, action and cognition, which I don't have time for today.

The jerkoff that's "thinking" all day in his office has no better advice to offer than the guy who built the last bridge and is applying his learning to the bridge he's building today.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Isn't this the EXACT problem with gurus?

The EXACT problem will Wall Street?

Telling you how to do something without first doing it yourself?

This doesn't sound like Fastlane material to me.

You can do all the mental gymnastics you want to justify your point, but in the end it comes down to the simple fact they're selling snake oil.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2022
Why don’t you feel comfortable?
Because for each José Mourinho, Nick Bollettieri, and Leo Fender there are 1000 Iman Gadzhis, Robert Kiyosakis, and Tai Lopezis. So better be safe than sorry.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
In college when I was studying petroleum engineering, in my senior year we had 2 drilling engineering courses.
I’m not sure what college you attended, but I attended the top Civil Engineering university in the UK. Numero 1. And…

Now in that course, if during an exam you selected the wrong casing size for the top portion of the well, all of your answers downstream were wrong.
This is the most retarded assessment procedure I’ve ever heard about.

For us, if you got the first part of the question wrong, it didn’t matter. You could get full points for the rest of it. Because what was assessed, was your THINKING.

If you applied a wrong formula for example, and got your answer, but wrote next to it something like “hmm this cross section appears to be too thick for the situation. I probably miscalculated” you got extra point, because you thought.

And likewise, in some questions the calculations would be purposefully wrong, and you had to realize and begin questioning one of the assumptions that was being made.

In fact, you could get ALL the answers wrong, and still get points if you were thinking the right way.

Oce I became a petroleum engineer and started working for an oil and gas exploration company, I learned about drilling by watching a well being drilled
So you learned by watching, not by doing. Ok.

And that teacher that taught us drilling in college? I learned he's stealing his slides from company men who are actually drilling wells. Meanwhile his self-acclaimed grandeur and PhD and bullshit led him to discourage and drop students out of the program for choosing the wrong casing size during an exam.
Ok so? There are fakes across the board. Not all teachers are good, just like not all practitioners are good. In fact, most are lazy and just “do their job”. They don’t really care about it.

However when it comes to seling snakeoil, in most cases you have a practitioner who scams people, not a teacher. Iman Ghadzi is a practitioner — he tells you follow me, because I’ve done it. This is precisely how people get scammed. And your argument is “he’s not really a practitioner, that’s where you go wrong” instead of teaching people to stop blindly following practitioners.

Sidenote:

@Kak has sent me a beautiful Kake to make me fat so I can prove my point and teach you all how to melt that ugly fat off like butter on a hot stove. Thank you, gentle soul.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Isn't this the EXACT problem with gurus?
Gurus are smart. This is the exact problem with YOU though.

The EXACT problem will Wall Street?
Same. Wall street is smart. They tell you, “I made $100Bn, therefore give me your money and I’ll make you a ton too” and you open your wallet and hand over your hard earned cash.

Don’t you see?

It’s YOUR fault. Precisely because you trust them, because they’ve “done it”.

Instead of using your own brain to figure out if it will work, you outsource your thinking to Wall Street and the guru, because they’ve done it, and they have more experience than you.

This is how you think. Until you see the logical errors in your thinking, you will continue making the same mistake over and over again. In other words, you’ll continue being a fool.

If Elon Musk told you that he’ll teach you to be rich, most people would hand over all their money to him. Because they have a stone for a brain. And if anything, that’s not Elon Musk’s fault.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Apr 27, 2022
United States

Same. Wall street is smart. They tell you, “I made $100Bn, therefore give me your money and I’ll make you a ton too” and you open your wallet and hand over your hard earned cash.

Don’t you see?

Instead of using your own brain to figure out if it will work, you outsource your thinking to Wall Street and the guru, because they’ve done it, and they have more experience than you.

This is how you think. Until you see the logical errors in your thinking, you will continue making the same mistake over and over again. In other words, you’ll continue being a fool.

If Elon Musk told you that he’ll teach you to be rich, most people would hand over all their money to him. Because they have a stone for a brain. And if anything, that’s not Elon Musk’s fault.
This is absolute #landfill

The amount of mental gymnastics required to justify your points is outstanding.

I'm no scripted thinker. Did I ever SAY I trusted gurus or Wall Street? Yes, they're "smart", but they're unethical as hell.

This directly contradicts the tenets specified in the books, and isn't that why we're all here?

I don't treat MJ's work as "holy texts", but it seems to me to be pretty damn accurate.

If you keep running with this, you're calling @MJ DeMarco as well as everyone who made a Fastlane exit a fool, not me.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
This is absolute #landfill
Buuuuut…

1) Guru = rich

2) You = brokie

3) Smart people make money, dumb people stay poor

4) Therefore guru must be doing something smart

QED

:poo:

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
If you keep running with this, you're calling @MJ DeMarco as well as everyone who made a Fastlane exit a fool, not me.
That’s not true. While MJ personally disagrees with me on this point (and he has made that clear several times already), I don’t see it as disagreeing with fastlane philosophy.

Quite the contrary I see it as a natural outgrowth of the healthy skepticism that fastlane philosophy advances. Because it encourages you to look past the accolades someone has and think with your own brain

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
You made a controversial post and stirred up the pot.

I offered my personal take on the matter. I even provided an example from my own life in which classroom taught material was significantly worse than on-the-job learning, despite the teacher's credentials and decades of teaching.

I even suggested that perhaps our difference in opinion lied in what I believe, which is that practical experience is crucial.

You getting all hot and bothered isn't because we're all somehow missing the wonderful insight you're providing, it's likely because your hot take ain't that hot.

Ok so? There are fakes across the board. Not all teachers are good, just like not all practitioners are good. In fact, most are lazy and just “do their job”. They don’t really care about it.

Good teachers are good teachers because they can deliver good results. If you think that people that haven't walked the walk are superior teachers to people who have, then so be it. I obviously disagree with that take.

But you can go eat your cake and fling poop as you build your fat-loss program.

I'll bow out of this landfill.

8mkxq4.jpg

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
You made a controversial post and stirred up the pot.

I offered my personal take on the matter. I even provided an example from my own life in which classroom taught material was significantly worse than on-the-job learning, despite the teacher's credentials and decades of teaching.

I even suggested that perhaps our difference in opinion lied in what I believe, which is that practical experience is crucial.

You getting all hot and bothered isn't because we're all somehow missing the wonderful insight you're providing, it's likely because your hot take ain't that hot.

Good teachers are good teachers because they can deliver good results. If you think that people that haven't walked the walk are superior to people who have, then so be it. I obviously disagree with that take.

But you can go eat your cake and fling poop as you build your fat-loss program.

I'll bow out of this landfill.

8mkxq4.jpg
With you on this. Not wasting my time arguing.

I'm out as well. We smell bullshit.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2022
Which is why I’ve always told people who wanted to go coach to do it.
That is poor advice because it merely suggests that people should try to sell coaching services using techniques that counteract human psychology.
The halo effect is a real and documented cognitive bias.
So, why go against it when selling? Selling is fundamentally a game of PSYCHOLOGY.
Stop waiting to “be a pro” first.

If you've made 100,000 EUR from various jobs, you could potentially coach others who are unemployed brokies.

However, it's unlikely that you could teach people how to create billion-dollar businesses.
It's not impossible, but why would you do that?
Why not do that yourself?
Unless the business is indeed selling the course!

Fun fact: Arguing with you is like arguing with a friend of mine who is also successful. He can perform all sorts of mental gymnastics to prove his point. When confronted with facts, he simply ignores them and shifts the argument elsewhere.

That's a common issue with many intelligent people (Not me).
They are quite capable of convincing themselves and others of their own misconceptions.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I can see merits from both sides of the argument.

The best tennis coach is not necessarily the best tennis player.

But it’s a far stretch to say a poor player can be a good tennis coach.

Having played competitive mind-sports (chess variant) before I have never seen a good coach who is bad in chess.

I can see merits in Black Dragon’s argument that you shouldn’t be blindly worshipping results in broad subject topics like “Business and entrepreneurship”.

If you put Elon Musk in front of a desktop and ask him to do e-commerce, he could lose to a teenager who had 3 years of experience.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Learning about something is different than doing it yourself. Sure, you need to LEARN how to get results for others. For example, when it comes to weight loss, you need to study what the keys are.

Maybe the keys are exercise + food.

In that case you need to study what exercise, and what food.

Read about other people's experience. Read what other teachers have said.

Apply things on others.

See what works.

The bottom line is that teaching X and practicing X are two different things.

So if you want to teach X, you need to start by learning what the keys to success with X are. And guess what, you’re not going to learn that by practicing X LOL — you’re going to learn from the experience of the greats who have already gone through everything.

I didn’t suggest you start teaching engineering or bridge design with 0 study. No, you MUST study.

However, this forum does have a bias against coaching and teaching generally. These are viewed by most as 2nd class professions, especially if the said person isn’t top 1% at practicing the skill they want to teach or coach about.

This is only true if he has no experience and follow-up with the results his students are getting afterwards. Or with how his field is evolving over time.

If he is involved with this, there is no doubt he is learning.

Do you think Roger Federer cared about a novel way to hit a forehand?! Nah! The dude was too busy perfecting his craft rather than experimenting with weird hits that may lead to innovation.

You’re assuming that he is actively trying to lose weight and failing to do it. Which may not be the case. (And as a sidenote, even if it was, it does not follow that he wouldn’t be able to help someone else lose weight. Because, once again, when you help someone else you have an objective point of view, and you’re not influenced by your emotions, and can thus take better decisions than you do for yourself).

Freud knew that smoking was killing him. But he kept smoking those cigars and never wanted to stop in the first place. He’d rather have had a shorter life wherein he enjoyed his vice, than a longer one wherein he was deprived of it.

Because guess what. Some people would rather have the enjoyment of food, than the enjoyment of being fit. Not everyone has the same values. Don’t forget that.

Dig deeper. Why don’t you feel comfortable? If the guy shows you results from people who have lost weight applying his course? If he lets you to SPEAK with those people? Would you still not buy? I doubt it.

Furthermore, saying that you would buy from the lean and fit guy instead, all things being equal, would, frankly speaking, mean that you’re not very intelligent, and you’re not bothered by it.

Most consumers aren’t smart. That’s why they get scammed all the time LOL. Iman Ghadzi flashes a lambo in front of you, and you take out your wallet and pay him. Literarily, scamming consumers is the easiest job ever, because they never think very deeply about things. They are persuaded by what is most superficial.

I’m not sure what college you attended, but I attended the top Civil Engineering university in the UK. Numero 1. And…

This is the most retarded assessment procedure I’ve ever heard about.

For us, if you got the first part of the question wrong, it didn’t matter. You could get full points for the rest of it. Because what was assessed, was your THINKING.

If you applied a wrong formula for example, and got your answer, but wrote next to it something like “hmm this cross section appears to be too thick for the situation. I probably miscalculated” you got extra point, because you thought.

And likewise, in some questions the calculations would be purposefully wrong, and you had to realize and begin questioning one of the assumptions that was being made.

In fact, you could get ALL the answers wrong, and still get points if you were thinking the right way.

So you learned by watching, not by doing. Ok.

However when it comes to seling snakeoil, in most cases you have a practitioner who scams people, not a teacher. Iman Ghadzi is a practitioner — he tells you follow me, because I’ve done it. This is precisely how people get scammed. And your argument is “he’s not really a practitioner, that’s where you go wrong” instead of teaching people to stop blindly following practitioners.

Sidenote:

@Kak has sent me a beautiful Kake to make me fat so I can prove my point and teach you all how to melt that ugly fat off like butter on a hot stove. Thank you, gentle soul.

Don’t you see?

Buuuuut…

1) Guru = rich

2) You = brokie

3) Smart people make money, dumb people stay poor

4) Therefore guru must be doing something smart

QED

:poo:

That’s not true. While MJ personally disagrees with me on this point (and he has made that clear several times already), I don’t see it as disagreeing with fastlane philosophy.

Quite the contrary I see it as a natural outgrowth of the healthy skepticism that fastlane philosophy advances. Because it encourages you to look past the accolades someone has and think with your own brain

K

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
This is exactly the issue with gurus and internet marketing which is the thing you are really talking about here, not weight loss

Where are these people learning from? Other gurus? Stuff that sounds good?

As someome who actually does ecommerce I can spot fake ecommerce gurus from a mile away

They say things they learned from other people that sound good but don't actually work, they set people down the wrong path and waste their time with bs that sounds good but doesn't work, I've wasted so much time following their stupid advice

Then they take the 3 success stories from people who succeeded after doing their program, whether or not the program was the reason, and use that to justify their bullshit and say everyone else who didn't succeed was just lazy and didn't do the work

Or lets take weight loss which was what your example was, calories in calories out right? Simple. Follow your diet right? Simple. So why hasn't this guru lost weight if it's that simple? Easy, because in actuality it's not that simple.

I am currently losing weight and have been for a while, for the first time ever. The difference in the quality of my advice I'd give now, vs before I'd actually done it is astronomical. I had the same knowledge of how to do it theoretically, but after actually doing it I can see and offer advice on exactly where and why you are likely going to go wrong just trying to follow a diet and how to actually follow one.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.