The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Art of Sales

Threads with an onging chat or conversation
G

GuestR401x3

Why listen to a random young dude on the internet for sales advice you might ask? Here's why, I've been in sales for the majority of my short career so far, and even though it's been short I've had quite a bit of success. According to "Personal Finance Data" I currently am in the top 99.8th percentile for income to others at my age. I achieved this by reading, having mentors, and learning from in-person sales courses. Sales is something that I've learned and become pretty good at.

Sales as a job is not truly Fastlane, although it is more Fastlane than most other jobs out there. To break down sales with the CENTS criteria:
Control: 6 - In sales, you have control over your activity and performance, but not typically over the product or service you're selling. This is usually determined by the company you work for. If you're selling an excellent product or service your control is a lot higher than if you are selling a crappy product or service.
Entry: 8 - Although anyone can sign up for a sales job, few people enjoy it and even fewer people are good at it. Giving it a higher barrier to entry.
Need: 9 - Every business needs sales. Sales is the lifeblood of business and without it, every other person would be out of a job.
Time: 6 - In sales, you get paid commission, so your income is based on results not hours. I know some outside sales reps who work for multiple companies and created a machine for themselves where all they do is facilitate repeat orders between contractors and manufacturers and are making a ton of money with little time involved. That being said you need to be available in sales and if you take a month's vacation your income is going to take a big hit so time is one aspect where it's not the greatest but it's good.
Scalability: 8 - The scalability of sales depends on how good you are. But since you are getting paid commission your income usually has no limit. You can make as much as you want as long as you are willing to put the work in.

The importance of trust
Trust is everything when it comes to sales. If a client doesn't trust you they are not going to buy from you. They want to know that their product is going to be exactly what they want or their service is going to solve the needs they have. You as the salesperson are a guide, and you are here to guide them to the solution to their problem.

How do you gain trust you might ask. I'll tell you.

Making and keeping promises. The more small promises you make and keep the more trustworthy you become. Tell your client you'll send that information by the end of the day and then send it. Tell the client you follow up with them in three days then follow up in three days, not four.

Being a knowledgeable guide. As I said earlier you are the guide to their solution, and if you can truly understand their problem at hand they will trust you more. You are not an order taker, and sometimes a prospect may make a request that is something you don't recommend. If you don't recommend it tell them that, and guide them to the better solution. This will not make them upset, it will build trust.

Having multiple meaningful conversations with a client. People trust those that they have a relationship with, and you cannot build a relationship over one short phone call. You build a relationship with someone by being in proximity (in person or virtual) with them over an extended period of time.

You gain trust through testimonials. In today's digital age prospects have options. There probably are 50 other people that can solve their challenge. So how are they going to choose, they are going to ask friends and family and they are going to look at Google reviews. Build trust by gaining referrals, reviews, and testimonials. If you don't have many Google reviews interview a few past clients and put testimonials on your website. These testimonials should include the pain, the process, and the solution and end result.

According to a study by HubSpot, 81% of customers trust the advice of family and friends over business advice. Your current client that you are working with has family and friends. These family and friends could be your future clients or they could never purchase from you, depending on what your current client's experience was like.

Trust is not only going to help you close this one sale, it will help you close hundreds in the future. Whether it's repeat customers or testimonials trust is the lifeblood of the future of your business.

---------------
More to come...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The One

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 25, 2023
UK
Why listen to a random young dude on the internet for sales advice you might ask? Here's why, I've been in sales for the majority of my short career so far, and even though it's been short I've had quite a bit of success. According to "Personal Finance Data" I currently am in the top 99.8th percentile for income to others at my age. I achieved this by reading, having mentors, and learning from in-person sales courses. Sales is something that I've learned and become pretty good at.

Sales as a job is not truly Fastlane, although it is more Fastlane than most other jobs out there. To break down sales with the CENTS criteria:
Control: 6 - In sales, you have control over your activity and performance, but not typically over the product or service you're selling. This is usually determined by the company you work for. If you're selling an excellent product or service your control is a lot higher than if you are selling a crappy product or service.
Entry: 8 - Although anyone can sign up for a sales job, few people enjoy it and even fewer people are good at it. Giving it a higher barrier to entry.
Need: 9 - Every business needs sales. Sales is the lifeblood of business and without it, every other person would be out of a job.
Time: 6 - In sales, you get paid commission, so your income is based on results not hours. I know some outside sales reps who work for multiple companies and created a machine for themselves where all they do is facilitate repeat orders between contractors and manufacturers and are making a ton of money with little time involved. That being said you need to be available in sales and if you take a month's vacation your income is going to take a big hit so time is one aspect where it's not the greatest but it's good.
Scalability: 8 - The scalability of sales depends on how good you are. But since you are getting paid commission your income usually has no limit. You can make as much as you want as long as you are willing to put the work in.

The importance of trust
Trust is everything when it comes to sales. If a client doesn't trust you they are not going to buy from you. They want to know that their product is going to be exactly what they want or their service is going to solve the needs they have. You as the salesperson are a guide, and you are here to guide them to the solution to their problem.

Making and keeping promises. The more small promises you make and keep the more trustworthy you become. Tell your client you'll send that information by the end of the day and then send it. Tell the client you follow up with them in three days then follow up in three days, not four.

Being a knowledgeable guide. As I said earlier you are the guide to their solution, and if you can truly understand their problem at hand they will trust you more. You are not an order taker, and sometimes a prospect may make a request that is something you don't recommend. If you don't recommend it tell them that, and guide them to the better solution. This will not make them upset, it will build trust.

Having multiple meaningful conversations with a client. People trust those that they have a relationship with, and you cannot build a relationship over one short phone call. You build a relationship with someone by being in proximity (in person or virtual) with them over an extended period of time.

You gain trust through testimonials. In today's digital age prospects have options. There probably are 50 other people that can solve their challenge. So how are they going to choose, they are going to ask friends and family and they are going to look at Google reviews. Build trust by gaining referrals, reviews, and testimonials. If you don't have many Google reviews interview a few past clients and put testimonials on your website. These testimonials should include the pain, the process, and the solution and end result.

According to a study by HubSpot, 81% of customers trust the advice of family and friends over business advice. Your current client that you are working with has family and friends. These family and friends could be your future clients or they could never purchase from you, depending on what your current client's experience was like.

Trust is not only going to help you close this one sale, it will help you close hundreds in the future. Whether it's repeat customers or testimonials trust is the lifeblood of the future of your business.

---------------
More to come...
Hey man, that is great. When you mention about mentors, how do I find the best one?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
According to "Personal Finance Data" I currently am in the top 99.8th percentile for income to others at my age.

People worth taking sales advice from don't say shit like this.

They say, "Hi, I'm Bob. I sold $48 million dollars worth of coffee filters this year. Here's how..."

The One

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 25, 2023
UK
People worth taking sales advice from don't say shit like this.

They say, "Hi, I'm Bob. I sold $48 million dollars worth of coffee filters this year. Here's how..."
What is your sales advice? I'm keen to know,

G

GuestR401x3

Hey man, that is great. When you mention about mentors, how do I find the best one?
Do you currently have a sales job, or do you just want to learn sales for a personal venture or future career? For me, it was one of my colleagues, who happened to be the top salesperson in the company.

It could be similar to this for you, it could be someone you hire as a mentor, or you could approach a great salesperson you know and ask him or her if they would be willing to teach you what they've learned.

Blessings!

The One

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 25, 2023
UK
Do you currently have a sales job, or do you just want to learn sales for a personal venture or future career? For me, it was one of my colleagues, who happened to be the top salesperson in the company.

It could be similar to this for you, it could be someone you hire as a mentor, or you could approach a great salesperson you know and ask him or her if they would be willing to teach you what they've learned.

Blessings!
Currently, I don't have a sales job. But, my role is basically to sell. But, it's my own company. Thanks for sharing!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
perhaps I haven't said it right. If it's cool with you, could you share some?

I'll share some general advice because "sales advice" can mean a lot of things.

Be careful who you take advice from. Always question their credibility.

There are real salespeople on this forum who have sold many multiple millions of dollars worth of products and services. When they give advice, they don't quantify it with irrelevant data points and vague language.

Vague language comes from the tongue of tricksters and irrelevant data is the magician's misdirection.

G

GuestR401x3

Speaking your Client's Language

Speaking the language of your client is a critical part of building rapport. Speaking the language of your client subconsciously makes your client feel like you are more like them. Humans like to be around people that are like them.

One way to speak your client's language is by using their communication preferences when speaking with them. A powerful tool to understand their communication preferences is the DISC profile. If you are not familiar with the DISC profiles I would highly recommend everybody at least learn a little about it.

DISC is an acronym for Dominance, Influence, Steadiness, and Compliance. Most people have one dominant communication preference and then a secondary communication preference. Being able to read your client's communication preferences, and then speak to them as they speak, leads to more effective and more impactful conversations.

Here is a quick summary of each style.
Dominance
Individuals who lean towards Dominance prefer direct, results-oriented communication. They are competitive, decisive, and value efficiency. When communicating with these clients, it's beneficial to be clear, concise, and to the point. Focus on results and solutions, and avoid unnecessary details or tangents.

Someone like @Lex DeVille based on his comment probably has a high "D" preference. If I was selling to him I would be direct and to the point, I wouldn't ask him how his music gigs are going, or what the copywriting business is like in today's market. I wouldn't hesitate to challenge him and would make direct recommendations. If he reaches out he reaches out to buy and not to chat.

Influence
Those with an Influence style are outgoing, enthusiastic, and people-oriented. They appreciate a friendly, engaging communication style and often respond well to stories and personal anecdotes. When selling to these individuals, build rapport, engage in social conversation, and highlight how your product or service can enhance their social standing or relationships.

Someone like @Andy Black probably has a high "I" preference. Andy likes to help people and he is good at making people feel valued. If I was selling to Andy I would ask him what it is like to live in Ireland and I would ask him what the Google ads business is like with the recent market.

Steadiness
People with a Steadiness profile value cooperation, sincerity, and dependability. They prefer a relaxed, non-threatening communication style and appreciate patience and understanding. In your sales approach, emphasize reliability, support, and the long-term benefits of your product or service.

Most people on this forum probably have a low "S" preference. This type of person would not be interested in risk and would rather have security.

Compliance
Compliance-oriented individuals value accuracy, systematic approaches, and detail. They prefer logical, well-structured communication and appreciate hard data and factual information. When selling to these clients, focus on providing detailed, accurate information about your product or service and back up your claims with data and evidence.

Someone like @Walter Hay might have a high "C" preference. He is very good at evaluating situations and provides excellent data to back his claims. When selling to him I would provide a logical reason why my product or service is the perfect fit for his challenge.

Mirror, Mirror
Mirroring is all about subtly matching your client's behavior and verbal cues. If they're formal, you're formal. If they're casual, you're casual. It's about building rapport and making your client feel comfortable.

Dress to Match
Dress in a way that fits your client's style. If they're all about business suits, leave your jeans at home. If they're more laid-back, ditch the tie.

Talking like your client and dressing like your client is an excellent way to build rapport and it doesn't take too much more effort. It takes being aware and intentional.

Blessings!

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Aristotle pretty much summarised sales in three words.

@Lex DeVille gave you an example of the first.

Dan

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This is one of those "do as I say, but not as I've done" threads.

G

GuestR401x3

This is one of those "do as I say, but not as I've done" threads.
I appreciate your response, if you don't want to take what I've learned and am actively doing don't. That being said, this is my personal journey and a thread from notes I've taken. Everything I'm speaking of works for me and it works well.

Blessings!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I appreciate your response, if you don't want to take what I've learned and am actively doing don't. That being said, this is my personal journey and a thread from notes I've taken. Everything I'm speaking of works for me and it works well.

Blessings!
Look dude, I'm giving you a chance.

This thread isn't labeled a progress thread. You didn't start by saying this was your personal journey. You started by calling it an advice thread. To call this your personal journey is backpedaling.

If it's a personal journey, label it a progress thread.

Context is everything. A salesperson should know that.

As it stands, you've positioned this as an advice thread, told us we should listen to you, and justified those statements with vague language like "it works well."

- How well?
- What did you sell?
- How much have you sold?
- How many dollars worth did you sell?
- Who did you sell it for?
- What actual sales stories can you share with us to support any of this?

The answers to those questions are the quantitative data points necessary for a reader to start to determine whether or not your advice is sound.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2022
Look dude, I'm giving you a chance.

This thread isn't labeled a progress thread. You didn't start by saying this was your personal journey. You started by calling it an advice thread. To call this your personal journey is backpedaling.

If it's a personal journey, label it a progress thread.

Context is everything. A salesperson should know that.

As it stands, you've positioned this as an advice thread, told us we should listen to you, and justified those statements with vague language like "it works well."

- How well?
- What did you sell?

The answers to those questions are the quantitative data points necessary for a reader to start to determine whether or not your advice is sound.
I love it lets put some F*ckin KPIs on advice.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

The importance of trust

---------------
More to come...
Most important thing in sales is you have to know the rules of the game.

To B and to C is a major distinction. Selling to B you are talking to people who make corporate decisions and selling to C you are talking to people to convince them to spend their hard earned cash.

Another point is do you own your book of business. Realtors yes. Insurance technically no but practically yes only to an extend. In other industries is generally no. Your company owns the book not you. Moving to another company could destroy your sales. Control problem to ponder about.

Recurring income versus non-recurring. Do you get paid for new business only or every-time when the client renews the contract? If you pays the acquisition cost and effort but only get paid once does it make sense? Something to think about.

Most sales books do not talk about most important things in sales….

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Compliance-oriented individuals value accuracy, systematic approaches, and detail. They prefer logical, well-structured communication and appreciate hard data and factual information. When selling to these clients, focus on providing detailed, accurate information about your product or service and back up your claims with data and evidence.
How well?
- What did you sell?

Hmmm... Sales guy misjudged a communication style?

Individuals who lean towards Dominance prefer direct, results-oriented communication. They are competitive, decisive, and value efficiency. When communicating with these clients, it's beneficial to be clear, concise, and to the point. Focus on results and solutions, and avoid unnecessary details or tangents.

Wait a sec. Maybe Lex is dominant.

Gosh this disc examination is clear as mud.

The importance of trust

This applies to forum threads too.

Even at zero cost, you're still selling yourself, and selling your advice in this forum thread.

But Lexy still ain't buying.

Because you are failing to build trust.

You opened this door.

What are your qualifications here?

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Half the stuff you write sounds like it's summarized by ChatGPT. It probably is honestly.

Anyway, the stuff you're sharing here helps... IF you want to be a corporate drone "salesman" AND suck up to your employer.

But if you don't...

Rule #0: Learn human psychology.

Watch movies. Speak to people. Be curious about people.

Observe your mom, friends, girlfriend, your superficial coworker, and your reclusive uncle.

That woman you saw buying scented candles wearing a revealing skirt and a lot of perfume?

The guy that wears his golden Rolex on top of his cuff rather than beneath it?

WHY are they the way they are?

WHAT drives them?

Why are they REALLY buying these products?

Rule #1: Get results for your clients. Make them a LOT more money than they pay you.

Don't be that guy who retains clients for an average of 2-3 months with false promises.

Rule #2: When you're effectively applying Rule #1, have them work around YOUR wants and demands, not the other way around.

By getting them a killer ROI, you're already giving your clients more than they'd hoped for.

So don't ruin your self-esteem by adapting your behavior to one that appeases them and gives them the power to walk over you.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.