The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Beginning

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Awoken

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 12, 2021
This is a thread I’m making for myself to increase my accountability regarding my entrepreneurial endeavours.

I’ll be graduating soon after a long final year of education - all I’ve wanted to do is get started with buz pursuits but decided it was smarter to finish my studies.

I’ll likely not update this frequently as my focus will be elsewhere, but will try doing so intermittently.

E-commerce and product development is where I currently aim to start. I’m covering my existing notes first to refresh myself and my mindset, and then will be taking action.

Awoken

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Awoken

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 12, 2021
Been nearly a month since ’the beginning’. Life has been busy, but everyday I’m reading books on topics I deem essential for entrepreneurship in general.

I’m eager to get going with focused idea generation and testing. There’s a balance I must continuously acknowledge between rushing into something unprepared and over-preparing (action faking).

The more I read, the more topics I seem to uncover which the respective authors label as ‘essential’ or ‘crucial’. It feels overwhelming sometimes. I view reading as a purely positive activity, however there is so much noise.

Deciding what is truly needed is difficult, as well as what is needed prior to taking action and what can be read more casually simultaneous to action. Currently focusing on microeconomics and sales & marketing.

To minimise this overwhelming feeling, I’m only focusing on one or two books at a time. Once I finish a book (whether this is completing the book or deciding I’ve absorbed everything I can from it and dropping it), I move onto the next. This helps prevent action paralysis for me.

One foot in front of the other.

Awoken

Awoken

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 12, 2021
Short update

Currently reading through Awaken The Giant Within as I saw it recommended by MJ on here.

It's a long book and is taking a while for my (currently) hyperdistracted mind. Also, I feel a sense of incongruence as it is not directly related to entrepreneurial knowledge/skills.

BUT it is amazing. It has made me question all of my beliefs and I have already taken massive action to change the limiting beliefs and behaviours. Like all things worthwhile I recognise these changes are a process. But the important thing is I have made definitive decisions and actions to change them.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Awoken

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Been nearly a month since ’the beginning’. Life has been busy, but everyday I’m reading books on topics I deem essential for entrepreneurship in general.

I’m eager to get going with focused idea generation and testing. There’s a balance I must continuously acknowledge between rushing into something unprepared and over-preparing (action faking).

The more I read, the more topics I seem to uncover which the respective authors label as ‘essential’ or ‘crucial’. It feels overwhelming sometimes. I view reading as a purely positive activity, however there is so much noise.

Deciding what is truly needed is difficult, as well as what is needed prior to taking action and what can be read more casually simultaneous to action. Currently focusing on microeconomics and sales & marketing.

To minimise this overwhelming feeling, I’m only focusing on one or two books at a time. Once I finish a book (whether this is completing the book or deciding I’ve absorbed everything I can from it and dropping it), I move onto the next. This helps prevent action paralysis for me.

One foot in front of the other.

Awoken
F*ck this. Take action immediately.

I was the same as you. You spend months reading books, sucking up advice without actually doing anything. You're stuck in analysis paralysis mode.

Instead get to work, no matter what it is. Get out there and get some domain experience or start making sales immediately. Start prototyping something immediately. Do whatever fits your current skill level and budget.

This will help you immensely as a starting point:
GOLD! - Getting started is this simple...

I wish you luck.

Awoken

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 12, 2021
F*ck this. Take action immediately.

I was the same as you. You spend months reading books, sucking up advice without actually doing anything. You're stuck in analysis paralysis mode.

Instead get to work, no matter what it is. Get out there and get some domain experience or start making sales immediately. Start prototyping something immediately. Do whatever fits your current skill level and budget.

This will help you immensely as a starting point:
GOLD! - Getting started is this simple...

I wish you luck.
I appreciate your concern.

My POV is I am starting with zero business knowledge. And rather than rushing into taking action with zero knowledge, it is wiser for me to acquire foundational knowledge beforehand.

I’m very self aware. I know that fear of failure is the hardest obstacle to overcome at the beginning. I truly believe I’m mentally prepared to overcome this.

But I also believe having a baseline knowledge of sales/marketing and getting ‘my head in the right place’ before this leap is smarter than jumping into the first thing that comes to mind with an untrained brain.

I’ve set myself a strict limit for what I will cover. I’m aware of the danger of endless ‘action faking’.

This is my current thinking. Perhaps you could be right. But I truly believe my intentions are pure. I don’t expect anyone to believe me; to you I’m just another faker. That’s okay with me.

Awoken

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
I appreciate your concern.

My POV is I am starting with zero business knowledge. And rather than rushing into taking action with zero knowledge, it is wiser for me to acquire foundational knowledge beforehand.

I’m very self aware. I know that fear of failure is the hardest obstacle to overcome at the beginning. I truly believe I’m mentally prepared to overcome this.

But I also believe having a baseline knowledge of sales/marketing and getting ‘my head in the right place’ before this leap is smarter than jumping into the first thing that comes to mind with an untrained brain.

I’ve set myself a strict limit for what I will cover. I’m aware of the danger of endless ‘action faking’.

This is my current thinking. Perhaps you could be right. But I truly believe my intentions are pure. I don’t expect anyone to believe me; to you I’m just another faker. That’s okay with me.

Awoken
I get you man. It's not easy to get out there and get some shit done.

Just saying you'll learn 10x more about sales and marketing by actually doing them.

TMF and Unscripted is all you need for now. If you get stuck, THEN read some more material.

G

Guest050x2

You get stuck in "action faking" mode via insisting on needing to understand every faucet of business before you actually do anything, which isn't feasible. From the sounds of it, you're already in a cycle of "action faking." @Aidan04 is correct: the most efficient and quickest way to learn the skills you need - both hard and soft - is to simply jump into the ocean. Learn things as you need to.

Pick a path. Learn the skills specific to that path, and then apply said skills. Learn, apply, learn, apply, etc. This approach is how you get from 0-$$$ in 3 months instead of 24. I launched a digital marketing agency for 1k and sold it 8 months later for 125k. I followed the exact path outlined above to make that happen. It was my first online business that I was solely responsible for.

I was terrified, under-skilled, under-funded, and had no idea how to operate a fully remote company. Yet through that fear I was able to make that happen. You can, too.

Pick a path. Help as many people with/on that path as you can. Master the skills of that path. Master the path itself. And then sell your "master level expertise" as a packaged product.

Cheers.

Awoken

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 12, 2021
You get stuck in "action faking" mode via insisting on needing to understand every faucet of business before you actually do anything, which isn't feasible. From the sounds of it, you're already in a cycle of "action faking." @Aidan04 is correct: the most efficient and quickest way to learn the skills you need - both hard and soft - is to simply jump into the ocean. Learn things as you need to.

Pick a path. Learn the skills specific to that path, and then apply said skills. Learn, apply, learn, apply, etc. This approach is how you get from 0-$$$ in 3 months instead of 24. I launched a digital marketing agency for 1k and sold it 8 months later for 125k. I followed the exact path outlined above to make that happen. It was my first online business that I was solely responsible for.

I was terrified, under-skilled, under-funded, and had no idea how to operate a fully remote company. Yet through that fear I was able to make that happen. You can, too.

Pick a path. Help as many people with/on that path as you can. Master the skills of that path. Master the path itself. And then sell your "master level expertise" as a packaged product.

Cheers.
Wow. You have both changed my POV. Which means a lot as I can be stubborn.

In reflection I think my drive and urgency have stagnated as I’ve been so set on finishing the studying I set myself.

I’m gonna organise my shit and take action. I’ll study if/when needed.

Thank you both

Awoken

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 12, 2021
Update

I've organised my shit. I've refreshed myself with TMF and Unscripted content. I'm hungry to go.

I have ideas listed. There is one I am obsessing over. It's a fairly simple concept yet an innovative application.

I think it could be great. Working on achieving soft proof. I definitively know there is a problem/need, which I believe this idea solves for many people... but I need more than just my belief. There are some similar(ish) products but nothing truly alike.

Think I'll have to interview some groups in the market and/or simulate the market. All new stuff to me but just taking things one step at a time.

Awoken

Sega Saph

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Dec 17, 2021
Russia
Hello. Do you have a job, pal? Do you live with your parents? Do they pay your bills? Just curious for better analize of your case. Thank you.

Awoken

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 12, 2021
Hello. Do you have a job, pal? Do you live with your parents? Do they pay your bills? Just curious for better analize of your case. Thank you.
I live with my single mother; we are pretty poor. I give her money every month. I have a part time job, and I devote my time outside of that to this. Analyse away

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.