Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MINDSET The biological reason "stuff" can't make us happy.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
199%
Serotonin.

As our species has evolved our bodies developed chemicals that upon release serve a specific purpose to help us survive and ensure the continuation and evolution of our Race.

Serotonin is the chemical released that makes us feel good with that sense of pride. It rewards us when we are recognized for accomplishments. It strengthens our confidence. It is there to strengthen relationships. Relationships between parents and their children.

Here's one example of why we do what we do. When our kids graduate we have a graduation ceremony. Ceremonies are important and we have them for the purpose of recognition. We don't just get a letter in the mail saying we graduated with honors..have a nice day...it's not the same. At the ceremony in front of a big crowd, serotonin is released in the parents and they are proud of their child, and at the same time, the graduate is proud. This strengthens the bond of the family. This helps the family stay together, strong, and survive.

The problem is....we can trick our bodies to release Serotonin when it shouldn't be released. Logos are on the outside of the clothes we wear because it makes us feel good..serotonin. We feel a sense of pride and status. We walk down the sidewalk shoulders back, chins up. We buy expensive cars and show them off...serotonin. We buy expensive homes and show pictures...serotonin.

The problem is....there is no relationship reinforced when we feel this way about the stuff we buy. We are left feeling unfulfilled and empty. So we buy more stuff to feel better again but we are left feeling unfulfilled and empty again. This is a never ending cycle.

We must keep in mind when pursuing our dreams in the Fastlane that the stuff we buy will not make us happy. It's biologically impossible. BUT...if we share our stuff with family, friends, and loved ones, spending time with them, we will strengthen our relationships...and that will make us happy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

masaldana2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
186%
great post! what about financial freedom? does that release Serotonin?

masaldana2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
186%
Im referring about not having a boss, building stuff, freedom, etc...

not unlimited money. :)

DST

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
163%
great post! what about financial freedom? does that release Serotonin?
Not by itself. But by having financial freedom you'll likely to have less stress and worries, and can spend more time on other things you enjoy, so in that way yes.

Because of the seratonin release you'll never be as happy buying a car as that time you got your first one (for instance). And each time you buy a new car, you want to upgrade it to a better one to achieve similar level of happiness.

In short, materialistic stuff alone wont make you happy in the long run.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
447%
I get the feeling this releases serotonin.

64439_621612481229325_297138950_n.jpg

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
199%
@DST You are correct. With that financial freedom, you can spend more time with family, friends, and loved ones which will fulfill you and make you happy.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
216%
Your main message is "It takes more than just stuff to make you happy." I agree with this.
I dislike the explanation, it sounds a little too pseudoscience-y to me.

I feel like that's an oversimplification of Serotonin and it's role in cognitive function.
It's also an oversimplification of the biological rewards that we get from 'stuff'.
Lets examine your example of wearing a logo:

Brand Affiliation
Wearing a logo on your shirt can give you a sense of 'pride' or 'community" or "belonging,"
It goes back to our tribal roots and early social patterns.
We'd get the serotonin from wearing the same tribal colors as our peers which serves a survival purpose.
You fit in with your tribe, you were more likely to get a mate from your tribe, you made friends in your tribe, you survive.

Look at highschoolers. They similarly wear "tribal uniforms" sometimes created by brands.
All the kids that shop at Hot Topic are wearing a tribal uniform. All the kids that shop at Abercrombie are wearing a tribal uniform.
It helps them fit in, form connections, attract a mate, survive.

It's All Natural
Serotonin as it relates to "stuff" does exactly what it's supposed to do: reinforce behaviors that make you more appealing and popular with the group.
However, serotonin alone doesn't complete fulfill you as a person.

Oxytocin is an important feel-good chemical that is only released in intimate situations. Have sex and it's released, high five your bro or get a pat on the back and it's released. Dopamine is another chemical that has been linked to mood. People with low natural levels of dopamine suffer from depression and are more likely to pursue dopamine fulfilling (addictive) activities like drug use or habitual eating or sex.

To me, it's about the healthy balance of chemicals. I think that in this particular situation (as it regards to 'stuff' and 'things') that there's no hijacking going on at all... the problem is more likely caused by an absence of other chemicals due to a lifestyle imbalance (which was your main conclusion to begin with)

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
199%
I feel like that's an oversimplification of Serotonin and it's role in cognitive function.
It's also an oversimplification of the biological rewards that we get from 'stuff'.
Agreed...but I could get so lengthy people would be falling asleep on their keyboards and tablets.

Wearing a logo on your shirt can give you a sense of 'pride' or 'community" or "belonging,"
This is true but limited. ie: your T-shirt from your special group at church. It's not the T-shirt you have the relationship with, it's the people at the church. So it's kind of like a symbol. However...if you buy Prada to show off and show your status...no fulfillment there...not really.

Love your argument my friend. I'm just really giving another example, although not fully explained, of how 'stuff' will not fulfill us and make us happy. We love each other. If you 'love' your stuff you will be sadly disappointed waiting for the "I love you too".

And hey...'stuff' isn't bad ! Everyone likes to have it. All of us here will have lots of it I'm sure. And we'll have a hell of a good time with some of it....just share it with someone. (damn...just got a visual of a hot tub and ...ok enough)

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
216%
This is true but limited. ie: your T-shirt from your special group at church. It's not the T-shirt you have the relationship with, it's the people at the church. So it's kind of like a symbol. However...if you buy Prada to show off and show your status...no fulfillment there...not really.

The reason I bought up the clothes as an example is due to a specific experience I had in college. I was sitting alone at a lunch table, wearing my Rancid band T-Shirt. I didn't know anybody yet, and at the time I wasn't as confident or outgoing as I am now.

A STUNNING girl sat down with me and struck up a conversation. She was totally my style too: Redhead, covered in tattoos, piercings, etc. We had the same tribal uniform on. It lead to a few dates and a pretty damn good long-term friend. All this because that day I was weraring my Punk-Rock Tshirt instead of my button-up.

In this case, you're right, it's DEF about the people and the relationships formed rather than the stuff itself.

However, I didn't put on the shirt as a way to meet girls.
I wore it because I liked it, I thought it reflected ME, and it made me feel good about myself.
So maybe the 'love' for stuff is a biological shortcut.

Maybe the love for the prada bag is a biological shortcut. Our instincts know it's a good idea to wear it, they know it will attract the people we want to be around, but we don't know WHY... There's no LOGIC in our instincts. We might interpret these complex compulsions as an emotion like "love."

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.