The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The first online store, what should I keep in mind?

Marketing, social media, advertising

przyszlymilioner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 13, 2023
Hi everyone. I've started my first online store ever on the Shopify platform - I've avoided idealizing the perfect store, tweaking everything to perfection - I don't want to run a fake operation. I've configured the store enough that I'm satisfied (which surprises me...) and I have a question for people who run and know much better about all this... - I want to trade with EU countries (European Union), what policies should I keep in mind? Terms and conditions, privacy policy, anything else? If there's a topic on this, please direct me to it - I couldn't find one. I want peace of mind with the legal side and be legally protected - the product is honest and fills a certain niche. Are the terms and conditions generated by Shopify sufficient?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rchie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 1, 2024
Hi everyone. I've started my first online store ever on the Shopify platform - I've avoided idealizing the perfect store, tweaking everything to perfection - I don't want to run a fake operation. I've configured the store enough that I'm satisfied (which surprises me...) and I have a question for people who run and know much better about all this... - I want to trade with EU countries (European Union), what policies should I keep in mind? Terms and conditions, privacy policy, anything else? If there's a topic on this, please direct me to it - I couldn't find one. I want peace of mind with the legal side and be legally protected - the product is honest and fills a certain niche. Are the terms and conditions generated by Shopify sufficient?

Last edited:

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Apr 17, 2022
Congratulations on starting your online store! It's great that you're considering the legal aspects of your business. When trading with EU countries, there are indeed specific regulations and policies you should keep in mind to ensure compliance. Here are some key points:

1. Terms and Conditions:
    • Ensure that your Terms and Conditions are clear and cover important aspects like payment methods, shipping, returns, and warranties.
    • Clearly outline the terms of the contract between you and your customers.
    • Include information about applicable taxes and duties.
  2. Privacy Policy:
    • GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) compliance is crucial when dealing with customers in the EU.
    • Clearly state how you collect, process, and store personal data.
    • Provide information on the purpose of data collection and how customers can exercise their rights under GDPR.
  3. Shipping and Customs:
    • Clearly communicate shipping times and costs.
    • Inform customers about potential customs duties and taxes that may apply to their orders.
  4. Refund and Return Policies:
    • Clearly state your refund and return policies to manage customer expectations.
    • Make sure your policies comply with EU consumer protection laws.
  5. Contact Information:
    • Provide clear and accurate contact information for customer inquiries and support.
  6. Payment Terms:
    • Clearly outline your payment terms and methods accepted.
    • Ensure secure payment processing to protect customer financial information.
  7. Legal Requirements:
    • Familiarize yourself with local laws and regulations in the EU countries you plan to trade with.
    • Stay informed about any changes in regulations that may affect your business.
  8. VAT (Value Added Tax):
    • If applicable, ensure that your pricing includes or clearly states the VAT.
    • Comply with EU VAT regulations, which can vary between countries.
While Shopify does provide default templates for Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy, it's advisable to review and customize them according to your specific business needs and legal requirements. Consider consulting with a legal professional to ensure that your policies align with EU regulations and protect your business adequately.

Remember that legal requirements can vary between EU member states, so it's essential to be informed about the specific regulations in the countries you are targeting.
ChatGPT go brrrrr.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Congratulations on starting your online store! It's great that you're considering the legal aspects of your business. When trading with EU countries, there are indeed specific regulations and policies you should keep in mind to ensure compliance. Here are some key points:

1. Terms and Conditions:
    • Ensure that your Terms and Conditions are clear and cover important aspects like payment methods, shipping, returns, and warranties.
    • Clearly outline the terms of the contract between you and your customers.
    • Include information about applicable taxes and duties.
  2. Privacy Policy:
    • GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) compliance is crucial when dealing with customers in the EU.
    • Clearly state how you collect, process, and store personal data.
    • Provide information on the purpose of data collection and how customers can exercise their rights under GDPR.
  3. Shipping and Customs:
    • Clearly communicate shipping times and costs.
    • Inform customers about potential customs duties and taxes that may apply to their orders.
  4. Refund and Return Policies:
    • Clearly state your refund and return policies to manage customer expectations.
    • Make sure your policies comply with EU consumer protection laws.
  5. Contact Information:
    • Provide clear and accurate contact information for customer inquiries and support.
  6. Payment Terms:
    • Clearly outline your payment terms and methods accepted.
    • Ensure secure payment processing to protect customer financial information.
  7. Legal Requirements:
    • Familiarize yourself with local laws and regulations in the EU countries you plan to trade with.
    • Stay informed about any changes in regulations that may affect your business.
  8. VAT (Value Added Tax):
    • If applicable, ensure that your pricing includes or clearly states the VAT.
    • Comply with EU VAT regulations, which can vary between countries.
While Shopify does provide default templates for Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy, it's advisable to review and customize them according to your specific business needs and legal requirements. Consider consulting with a legal professional to ensure that your policies align with EU regulations and protect your business adequately.

Remember that legal requirements can vary between EU member states, so it's essential to be informed about the specific regulations in the countries you are targeting.

Did you read the rules about using AI here, or shall I remove you now?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
The ai post is actually pretty accurate

Just be careful to comply with the ad networks policies too, particularly google if you are going to use them

You need refund policy, address, phone number, etc on your site for google ads

You can make 2 menus for the footer, a small one for policies and a big proper one for the actual stuff you want customers to click, this way the policies are on every page but not in the way

There’s some good free gdpr apps for Shopify to comply with that

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
As I failed with that, I m not a good advisor.
But I ll thell though:
-don t overthink it, before you have your first 100 sales and rising.
-first big problem is sourcing profitable assets to trade
-second problem is to sell them

and the second problem will never touch you, if you fail with the first. So sourcing is your biggest problem. Imo.

przyszlymilioner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 13, 2023
Valuable advice, thank you! I used ready-made Shopify policies, integrated the gateway. There are a few cosmetic changes left for tomorrow; generally, I am pleased with myself. I'm ready to officially launch it. My advantage is that the product in my country is much cheaper than anywhere else - I don't want to compete solely on price. This is my first online project - what should I do next? Instagram profile? Facebook? How to start marketing correctly, to avoid burning the budget and reach people in my niche?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
depends on your item.
Most profitable would be google ads
look at threads by @Andy Black

przyszlymilioner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 13, 2023
I've launched the store, configured everything, and believe that the store is somewhat able to instill trust. However, internally, I feel that something is missing to fully convince the customer (no sales yet, no advertising). I'm considering whether it makes sense to commission an audit on Fiverr, so that someone more experienced (this is my first store) can take a look at the whole thing and objectively assess the situation. What do you think?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I've launched the store, configured everything, and believe that the store is somewhat able to instill trust. However, internally, I feel that something is missing to fully convince the customer (no sales yet, no advertising). I'm considering whether it makes sense to commission an audit on Fiverr, so that someone more experienced (this is my first store) can take a look at the whole thing and objectively assess the situation. What do you think?
For conversions or for legal?

Look up build grow scales free content about making a store that converts

Legal, fiver is probably just as good as not bothering, wouldn’t worry too much, you aren’t even close to big enough to be worth suing

przyszlymilioner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 13, 2023
Definitely about conversions. For now, I'm not concerned about legal matters; I'm using a ready-made Shopify template. I've seen some of your posts; could you guide me on where to start with marketing? What would work better in the beauty industry?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Definitely about conversions. For now, I'm not concerned about legal matters; I'm using a ready-made Shopify template. I've seen some of your posts; could you guide me on where to start with marketing? What would work better in the beauty industry?
Write down every question, objection, and thing you think someone would need to see to buy and then answer it on your page

Will it work
Will it work for me
Is it easy
How long will it take to work
How long will it last etc

Build grow scale have a blog series for each page on your store and what it needs and how it should look

Gary Halberts 30 day copywriting challenge is good, breakthrough advertising is the best book in his recommended list, but all of them are good

UGC videos and before and afters for beauty products, Facebook or TikTok, pick one, facebooks much more reliable so I’d probably go with that

przyszlymilioner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 13, 2023
Thank you for the suggestions; they are valuable pointers for me. I also think that Facebook would be a good choice to start with. Can I send you a private message?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.