The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The "Remember When" Thread ...

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
When floppy disks were.... floppy

floppy8.gif

Also have one of these laying around

pet2001.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Imagine, in 10 years we will look at our computers of today like that old Commodore of yesterday. Can you imagine what an advanced civilization computer would look like in 100, 200, 500 years from today? The power?

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC
This might not be a reality for some quite yet, but remember when you used to have to drive to the video store to rent a movie?

And you had to physically go to a store to buy music on a disc or tape?!?

<~~~~~~~ Honestly can not remember the last CD I purchased.

Imagine, in 10 years we will look at our computers of today like that old Commodore of yesterday. Can you imagine what an advanced civilization computer would look like in 100, 200, 500 years from today? The power?

Imagine the "remember whens" we will have then.......

"Remember when televisions were clunky and 4'' thick?"

"Remember when you had to actually hold a 'controller' to play video games?"

"Remember when cell phones had buttons?"

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Remember when you'd call customer service or technical support and get to talk to an actual American?

How about when some 50 year old companies in this country took great pride in never having laid off a single employee in their history?

- Hakrjak

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I remember when It was all about me. before having to worry about taking care of other people and being able to do anything just because without having to worry about anyone else.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
ditto Kurt-- I laughed out loud when I read yours!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Runum said:
How about stingray bicycles with tiger skin banana seats and high rise handle bars. Attaching playing cards to the bike so the spokes would cause them to flap so that the bike would sound real loud.

YES!!! :banana:

Note: Modern version below :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjKNMyN8u3Y&feature=related]YouTube - How to make a motor sound on your bike[/ame]

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
I Remember Playing PONG on a large TV with the channel nobs that would "thump" everytime you twisted it.

A few years later, Atari was the big thing and Pac Man and Pitfall was in that big case full of 50 other games. By the way, LEE..if you are out there somewhere, GIVE ME MY PITFALL BACK!!! Borrow does not mean steal!

I remember listening to the 8 track and its scratchy hiss as we listened to Christmas music. Opening a VHS tape for a present and flipping out when we saw the brand new VCR. How we got one of the first microwaves which was about 3 times the size they are now.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I remember when RE markets where good, and everyone in the business drove kick a$$ European cars.:cool:

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
lol, I remember when they were building Section 8 low income housing in Santa Barbara that started at $550k.

I remember sneaking out into the hallway at night with my brother to watch "Late Night with Johnny Carson" and hope that my parents didn't catch us.

I remember my mom styling my hair for school photos and she would put curlers in my hair and then I'd have to sit under this crazy salon style blow dryer that looked like a vacuum cleaner with a shower cap on the end of it, for over an hour.

I remember teasing my bangs until they were at least 4 inches high and had so much aqua net in them they didn't move.

I remember hearing Guns and Roses for the first time and thinking that music forever was changed.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I remember teasing my bangs until they were at least 4 inches high and had so much aqua net in them they didn't move.

I remember hearing Guns and Roses for the first time and thinking that music forever was changed.

whoa total blast from the past here lmao!

I am gonna have to try to dig up some pics of my aqua net hair days lol!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I Remember Playing PONG on a large TV with the channel nobs that would "thump" everytime you twisted it.

A few years later, Atari was the big thing and Pac Man and Pitfall was in that big case full of 50 other games. By the way, LEE..if you are out there somewhere, GIVE ME MY PITFALL BACK!!! Borrow does not mean steal!

I remember listening to the 8 track and its scratchy hiss as we listened to Christmas music. Opening a VHS tape for a present and flipping out when we saw the brand new VCR. How we got one of the first microwaves which was about 3 times the size they are now.

whoa again!!!

we had an atari and used to play koleko vision games in it but my parents use to wrap them in tin foil so they would work! (have no clue what the tin foil bit was about lol)

i dont quite remember 8tracks but i remember the first vcr we got n our first huge microwave!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
what about those huge old school rotary phones! we had one when i was little they were so heavy!

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
Remember when a nice ol' man would wash your windshield while he pumped your gas FOR you?

Remember when ELO's record came out and it was BLUE!?

I don't remember the blue ELO album... but I have my almost 3 year old daughter dancing her face off to 'don't bring me down... no no no no no..... " lol

remember when- someone in the room had to physically change the channel on the television? you know, turn the actual knob? switch it from VHF to UHF... and then rotate the "rabbit ears"

when the most popular sweet 16 gift was a black and white television?

the ugly stick fishing rod was a phase?

when 10 of us piled up in the backseat?

mom didn't know what we did from 3pm to 6pm?

pong.

shag carpet.

purple furniture.

thick sideburns.

the tv console with the record player built in...

g-d bless the 1970s.

this thread is about to make me cry

razda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Dec 10, 2008
Utah
remember when there were party phone lines

clothes washers had rollers to squeeze the water out

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Remember when kids passed notes in class?

Remember begging your parents for call waiting?

...And then begging them to get you your own line with call waiting? (This might just be a girl thing.)

...I remember that most any argument or debate between my brother and I was settled over a game of Mortal Kombat.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Remember when it cost you a token to play a video game?

Don't you mean, Remember when kids played video games? It seems like Arcades are ghost towns largely because kids carry video systems with them now. I think Pin ball machines will only be in museums in a few years.

BTW... I take my son to the Arcade. I mean, why would an adult play Mrs. Pacman? :smxE: ummm I think I'll go have beer now and watch some sports.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Remember when it cost you a token to play a video game?

My brother and I would walk 1 mile to the hot dog stand to play video games at 25 cents apiece ... Asteroids, Pac Man ... it was such a good feeling knowing you had 12 games of play ahead of you ... made the walk so endurable.

For those who lived in the 50's ...

Remember doctors would light up a smoke as they examined ya?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I remember riding my bike 2 miles to the AM PM cause they just got in Frogger and Donkey Kong.

Some Remember When Work Stuff:

Remember when you went to work and the only thing on your desk was a phone

Remember when setting up meetings mean you had to call each person and ask if they were available?

Remember when people looked at their Dayrunner to remember meetings

Remember when you actually had to print extra copies to CC: people

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I remember riding my bike 2 miles to the AM PM cause they just got in Frogger and Donkey Kong.

Some Remember When Work Stuff:

Remember when you went to work and the only thing on your desk was a phone

Remember when setting up meetings mean you had to call each person and ask if they were available?

Remember when people looked at their Dayrunner to remember meetings

Remember when you actually had to print extra copies to CC: people

Yeah, remember real carbon paper and manual typewriters.

Learning how to format your term paper on the old typewriters and hoping for zero mistakes. Starting over because they had no correction fluids or tape yet.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Speaking of copies...

Remember when all your teachers' handouts were mimeographed with that BRIGHT purple ink?

Remember when you had to first dial the Operator in order to make a long distance call?

Remember when you had to sleep with those pink foam rubber curlers in your hair?

Pinkrollers7-upanMom.jpg

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Speaking of copies...

Remember when all you teachers' handouts were mimeographed with that BRIGHT purple ink?

Remember when you had to first dial the Operator in order to make a long distance call?

Remember when you had to sleep with those pink foam rubber curlers in your hair?

Sorry Jill, I never had the curler experience.:cheers:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Speaking of copies...

Remember when all you teachers' handouts were mimeographed with that BRIGHT purple ink?

Remember when AV time was shown with film strips.

standard-709339.jpg

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I was the AV nerd in elementary school (this should come as a surprise to no one ;) )

I remember putting on the tape recorder w/the film strip, and advancing it when the tape made a "bong" sound!

While I was in HS in the 70s, my first stereo system was actually MONO-- bought it at a garage sale for $5. :)

Am I scaring anybody? :D

-Russ H.

CactusWren

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 5, 2008
Arizona
Yep, I remember most of this stuff...

Remember when there were no ATM's and if you traveled abroad you used traveler's checks. And if you forgot to exchange them on Friday at the bank, you starved for the weekend (or found out the train stations exchanged money 24/7).

Remember when people actually wrote letters? My husband and I had a long distance relationship before we got married...kept lovingly in a nice colorful box.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.