The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Successful Mindset

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
We had a very productive mastermind meeting this week. Jon brought up a story of a very successful friend of his. Jon can elaborate on the story, but the point is this.

He stopped thinking of what he wanted to be in the future, he started thinking about himself that way now. He saw himself as a man who made 10k a month and acted like a man who made 10k a month. (even though he made less then that) He worked like he made 10k a month and before long was making 10k a month.

Can we change our success by thinking of ourselves as successful. How does this change yourself and others perception of you? Is it mere confidence or is it more?

Curious to hear others thoughts on this. Its forward thinking when looking at goals.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Jason's post was a result of a story that I told to our mastermind group tonight.

A few days ago I had coffee with a friend of mine. He is a multi-millionaire. First he built a website that pulled in 6 figures a month, then he bought and sold a portfolio of apartment buildings.

What's interesting about this guy is that he REALLY doesn't seem like a guy who would ever have achieved this type of success.

When I first met him, I was so confounded by this paradox, that I used to tell my wife that he must of just been lucky... nothing about him conveyed success or talent in any way.

Now I know better, I don't really believe in luck. Yes, it may play a small part in success, but never is it really the main thing.

So last week, I started to ask him questions, to try and figure out just how he got rich.

Again, his answers were far from what I expected.

Here are some of the notes I took (yes, I could tell I was hearing golden nuggets, so I whipped out a pad and took notes):

-1- You have to be successful NOW. Act as if you are already a successful person in everything you do starting NOW.

Putting success off into the future is a big mistake.

-2- Once you get the hang of number one, you'll begin to attract abundant money/deals/opportunities.

He said that both his website and the apartment deals "came to him without effort" after he accepted his success in the present.

-3- Raise your standards. Successful people don't work on crap or low value ideas just to make a couple bucks.

-4- Give more value and affect and serve more people in a positive way (just like MJ keeps telling us ;) )

-5- Affirm what you want IN THE PRESENT!

He told me he started telling himself over and over all day long, "I am a successful person and I make $10,000 dollars a month" and it came true sooner than he ever would have thought.

Upon reflection of how well that affirmation worked, he started telling himself, "I am a multi-millionaire" and in a very short time it had come true as well.

Another affirmation he used was, "Money comes to me with ease and it comes in big amounts" Again it came true as he began to make 6 and 7 figures buying and selling apartment buildings.

As I've gotten to know him better it became clearer to me that he really did have an entrepreneur's mindset and his success was no fluke.

However, he was the last person on earth I would have ever expected to attribute his success to affirmations and creative visualization.

I've heard all this stuff in books before of course, but somehow it is much more powerful when someone who you know has achieved so much financially tells you these things were the keys to their success.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Good read while in the airport... So, are you doing this now Jon? Heh, I didn't see that part mentioned. :)

eman

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 11, 2009
This post couldn't come at a better time. I am currently reading Think and Grow Rich and beginning to change my mindset. Thanks!!

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Good read while in the airport... So, are you doing this now Jon? Heh, I didn't see that part mentioned. :)

Yes, I realized I was guilty of putting my goals off into the future rather than acting "as if" they had already been realized.

Jul 6, 2009
Emotion plus words creates the belief. Any word mixed with strong emotion brings the desire faster. This is why emotion plays such a great part in our every day experience. Using Positive, enthusiastic emotions on a daily basis to express our wants will increase our moivation, attraction power and passion.

So get dat a$$ on the emotional positive train so you can reap what john has attained!

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
I have the worst habit of putting things off and I don't know why. I think I'm motivated, but my actions show different. It's getting in the way of everything as far as being rich and reaching my goals. I need some serious help in this apartment.

imoutthere

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 21, 2009
Va
I put thsi vid up earlier today.

Mods, let me know if you want me to take it down.

Great video. I really gained alot from it. The finger thing really blew me away too.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
I liked the video. Very helpful. The thing he did with the four squares really made sense both in a negative way and in a positive way. Great video.

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
Visualization and acting "AS IF" or the "Fake it till you make it" thing really does work. Since I was a kid, I always visualized exactly what I wanted and it seemed to happen almost effortlessly. My Mom always commented even from a young age how everything always worked out for me the way I wanted (not in a spoiled way), from cars to houses to investments to career positions and income. I never realized what "it" was, but it's called the Law of Attraction. I recommend watching "The Secret" for you to really get it and be able to put it into practice. (And yes, my obscenely wealthy mega-millionaire friends all did this as well). Decide what you really want (without questioning or doubting whether you can actually do it). Believe you can have it and that you deserve it. Visualize it as already having come true and act as if you already have it. Visualize and affirm it daily. I actually did it this month on a small scale. I decided I wanted an extra $20,000 in August from non-traditional/unexpected sources. I believed and felt like I already had it. My Mom unexpectedly gave me $5k out of the blue. My husband got an unusual additional check for over $8k and the other day when I was paying bills, I got a completely unexpected $10,021 check in the mail because of an escrow overage on our primary residence! Weird...But great! You may think this is a coincidence, but my life has been full of these "coincidences". :smxG:

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
No offence, but the Law of Attraction is bullshit

This is helpful how? If you believe so, how about you state why and open useful dialog. This is not.

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
Everything starts from inside your mind ,what you decide. It leads to action and choices for your dreams. A thought can be measured. I believe in the law of attraction.

Moneymaka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jul 22, 2009
This is helpful how? If you believe so, how about you state why and open useful dialog. This is not.

I don't even need to explain it. Just by logical thinking you will realize there is no such thing as the Law of attraction as described in the movie The Secret.

What the movie is basically saying is you can just sit in a corner and think about what you want all day long until you somehow magically receive it.
I hope you do realize that it's complete bullshit.

IF the law of attraction existed, then i would be a billionaire by now.
IF the law of attraction existed, everyone would be living the perfect life.
IF the law of attraction existed, you wouldn't need to get out of your bed anymore. You can just think of whatever you want, and it'll pop up in your room.

However, thinking about your goals and what you want to achieve does have its benefits.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
No offence, but the Law of Attraction is bullshit

Really??? Have you read the book? I have read it this summer and put the Law of Attraction to the test. If you read the book, remember about the guy with the feather? Well, I did something similar. I was heading into New York and put a challenge that I would use the Law of Attraction to find someone that was wearing the same exact pair of sunglasses that I was wearing. I put the image of the sunglasses in my head, the exact style, shape and angle. Well, throughout the whole day, I saw nothing. As I was heading down 5th Avenue at the end of the day something told me to look to my left, I did and BOOM there are my sunglasses on someone else's face. I just smiled and reminded myself of the challenge I set for myself that morning.
Many people do not believe in themselves or their ideas and that is why they are not wealthy, happy, energetic, ect. They choose not to be. That is why the Law of Attraction doesn't work for them. Has anyone noticed that when you are happy and energetic throughout your day, you make others happy and they are then in a good mood? You will never see me with a frown on my face. It takes 37 muscles in your face to frown but just 22 to smile. Be happy with today! :)

Moneymaka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jul 22, 2009
Really??? Have you read the book? I have read it this summer and put the Law of Attraction to the test. If you read the book, remember about the guy with the feather? Well, I did something similar. I was heading into New York and put a challenge that I would use the Law of Attraction to find someone that was wearing the same exact pair of sunglasses that I was wearing. I put the image of the sunglasses in my head, the exact style, shape and angle. Well, throughout the whole day, I saw nothing. As I was heading down 5th Avenue at the end of the day something told me to look to my left, I did and BOOM there are my sunglasses on someone else's face. I just smiled and reminded myself of the challenge I set for myself that morning.
Many people do not believe in themselves or their ideas and that is why they are not wealthy, happy, energetic, ect. They choose not to be. That is why the Law of Attraction doesn't work for them. Has anyone noticed that when you are happy and energetic throughout your day, you make others happy and they are then in a good mood? You will never see me with a frown on my face. It takes 37 muscles in your face to frown but just 22 to smile. Be happy with today! :)

Let me explain this one for you.
For example, you buy your first car and it's a Mercedes.
When you're driving, you suddenly notice more Mercedes cars, even the same type of car you have.
Does this mean we're using the Law of Attraction? No, we simply pay more attention to the Mercedes car, which leads us to notice more Mercedes cars, AND the cars will still be there even if we didn't pay attention to it.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Let me explain this one for you.
For example, you buy your first car and it's a Mercedes.
When you're driving, you suddenly notice more Mercedes cars, even the same type of car you have.
Does this mean we're using the Law of Attraction? No, we simply pay more attention to the Mercedes car, which leads us to notice more Mercedes cars, AND the cars will still be there even if we didn't pay attention to it.

Your example is a little broad. Especially when it comes to cars. There are millions of cars on the road and your odds of seeing your car on the road is great, unless your in a Lamborghini or other exotic. When using the Law of Attraction, every detail is important. By just saying "I want to be rich" the Law of Attraction won't work. You must take action and the Law will work with you. This is why being positive is so important when doing anything. When you approach a problem with negativity it takes forever to solve, and sometimes it does not even come out the way you want it to be. Approach it positively and you will enjoy whatever your working on. Many times when entrepreneurs work on their businesses, they are so energized mentally, that whatever the task is,they will complete it.They just enjoy doing it. I recommend that you read the book, than just watch the movie. It is different when watching the movie and reading the book. When reading there is no noise, just you and your thoughts.

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
IF the law of attraction existed, you wouldn't need to get out of your bed anymore. You can just think of whatever you want, and it'll pop up in your room.

This is a simplistic and erroneous view of The Law of Attraction. Obviously, bags of money don't drop out of the ceiling of your bedroom. And that is not the claim of The Secret. I've seen enough proof of it in my own life and in the lives of others close to me to know without a doubt that it exists. My friends have created ridiculous levels of success and wealth that you would probably think is impossible. In the words of Henry Ford, "Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, either way, you are right." Personally, you don't have to believe in it.

Dooley

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 2, 2009
''Law of attraction'' really is a world-wide topic of disucssion, I first heard of it from the interview with Oprah on the Larry King show. Anyone watched that interview on Youtube?

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Ok, here is a successful mindset that has evolved within me over the past few years.

1. Waking up with energy-

Everyday that you wake up, be happy that you were given another day to live. Life is too short to not enjoy it. Wake up with a positive attitude. If you say this will be a bad day, you already made a choice that it will suck. If you stay positive throughout the day, any problem that comes up will seem possible.

2. Goal Setting for the Day-

Try and set goals for your day in the morning. Plan what you are going to do throughout the day and try to accomplish it. You will become more productive with whatever you set your mind to. Remember there is no guaranteed "Tomorrow".

3. No complaining-

Don't complain, complaining makes you unhappy and most people don't want to hear your complaints. They have their own problems to deal with. Instead of complaining ask yourself- "How can I make this situation better? " Also get rid of that "I'm the victim" mentality. You will get no where with that kind of mentality.

4. Confidence-

Be confident in everything that you say and do. If you are feeling doubt, you will not be able to work to the best of your ability. Confidence will help motivate you to move on with projects, problems, and any dilemmas.

5. Truth-

One of my most important virtues- Telling the Truth. Telling the truth will never hurt you, not even in the long run. Telling the truth will show people that you are a trustworthy person and a person that will not screw them out of their money, trust, ect.. Also be truthful to yourself. If you cannot admit the truth to yourself, you can't admit it to anyone.

Moneymaka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jul 22, 2009
Read this:
law of attraction - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com
this:
Skeptico: The Secret
and this:
Mike's Weekly Skeptic Rant: Here's <u>The Secret</u>: Blame the Victim

And if you still believe the Law of Attraction is real, then give me(us) a task that will prove the existence of Law of Attraction.
Even though i am denying the existence of this, i still want to remain open minded and try it out.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Read this:
law of attraction - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com
this:
Skeptico: The Secret
and this:
Mike's Weekly Skeptic Rant: Here's <u>The Secret</u>: Blame the Victim

And if you still believe the Law of Attraction is real, then give me(us) a task that will prove the existence of Law of Attraction.
Even though i am denying the existence of this, i still want to remain open minded and try it out.

Ok, heres a good test. How did you find TheFastLanetoMillions? You have motives of becoming rich don't you? How did you find this place? Google results is not the answer. What made you type your search query into Google?

I found this website from the Rich Dad forums. I was looking for advice on how to make money. I found a post by MJ and I was amazed. I looked at his sig and it had a little link that changed my life forever. Guess what the link was? :smxF:
I always wanted to know how come many Lamborghini owners were so young. I found that answer and I am going to become one of them.

So ask yourself that question and read the book. Have an open mind to it and you will see things from a different perspective.

The #1 Mistake People Make When Using the Law of Attraction

Moneymaka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jul 22, 2009
That's just a ridiculous comparison...

I found this forum by looking at a thread called: "entrepreneur forums" at youngentrepreneur.com

How did i find youngentrepreneur.com?
I searched for Young entrepreneurs on Google.

And by reading "the book", do you mean Think and Grow Rich?
If so, I've read it when i was like 14 or 15.

I think the Law of Attraction believers are people who are not confident enough to believe they can get rich by themselfs, so they tend to believe LoA to create the illusion that they actually control their own lives.
This probably makes them feel more comfortable.

Oh and one more thing, have you ever noticed how all those Law of Attraction websites are advertising a book or something similar?
And one thing's for sure, they're not advertising it for your benefit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.