The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The value of boredom

Anything related to matters of the mind
Boredom is an instrument, not an enemy.
So many people can’t stand to be bored. They indulge in every kind of distraction imaginable, only to not feel bored. And those people are missing out on A LOT.

How to use boredom to your advantage?

Boredom is one of the most potent motivators there is. Think about it - when you are properly bored, your work assignments aren’t looking so grim anymore, your home projects suddenly look much more enticing, the conversations with people are no longer an annoyance because they distract you from your precious news feed.
When i was procrastinating and feeling bad about not doing things i said i would, i thought about it, stumbled on the thought of boredom, and decided to give it a go.
The results were absolutely astonishing to me.
The effect required a little acclimatisation, but then oh boy did it kick in.
The day became so enlarged with time, that i didn’t know what to do with it at first, and then i started my projects, started working on assignments, started learning about myself, really.
This also affected my jorney from consumer to producer. It is pretty easy if you eliminate all opportunities for you to mindlessly consume. There is only one option left for you not to die from boredom - produce.

What else did i get from being bored?

Increased creativity. You can finally think about all this stuff that you put on hold and told yourself “I will think about that later”.
You can effortlessly scale a wall of procrastination, and start to actually doing stuff.
You can be more in the present, you can look around and take notice of how things are, instead of always being in your own head, not seeing the world around.
You can make new acquaintances, hold meaningfull dialogs, deepen your relationships with people, just because you can prowide more attention to them.

How to actually start, and not slip back?

For me it was a graduate process.
I started by making it harder to open apps, like youtube and social media.
Then i deleted social media entirely, but left youtube. I reasoned it was useful to watch tutorials on new skills, but i haven’t used it in that sense really, it was just an exuse.
The important step is - you have to give it time.
You can’t go from zero to hero in one go.
For me this process took months, if not more.
Then i made final resolution, to stop using youtube altogether, and it was hard for me to make that statement.
Anytime i would subconciosly take my phone to open the app i would catch myself, and make an effort to put it down.
It helped, with time i was attracted to it less and less, and now i find it boring to scroll the feed to find me something to watch.

This is the method, the benefits, and the process. Hope you find it usefull to you!
Let me know your thoughts, i would love to know what you think.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
The important step is - you have to give it time.
You can’t go from zero to hero in one go.
Need to keep this in mind.
Thanks for writing this post. I 'know' the value of boredom and have done much research, yet I always felt guilty for not being able to quit stuff like youtube in one or two days. Like I felt I just lacked willpower, im too lazy etc.

Gotta give some time as the brain has been forming this habit for a long time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.