The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started (seriously)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
While I haven't made my first million as of this writing, I can say with certainty that I've had my share of experiences when it comes to things I wish I knew when I started my entrepreneurial journey.

So, if this post helps at least 1 person steer clear of making some of the mistakes I did or at least get them to think about what they're doing before they do it... Will satisfy me deeply.

Thing #1: Don't quit your job until you have an alternative income source

- Should be self-explanatory right? I made the mistake of leaving too soon without any safety net because I "thought I knew everything". I was wrong.

The consequence: Destroyed my 768 credit score by living off my credit cards while "thinking" I was moving toward my goals and ended up with a mountain of debt that I couldn't repay.

Thing #2: Plan on it taking a lot more time to get rich then you expect it to (most of the time)

- While, as MJ says... You can get rich quick -- it's not easy. I underestimated the time it would take for me to get situated with Entrepreneurship because I thought I'd already been one the whole time because I worked for Tai Lopez.

The consequence: Stubbornly rationalizing to myself and others that something will pan out even though I had nothing in the pipeline. Becoming discouraged over my venture because I was so far off I thought I was going to get rich or at least make good money fast.

Thing #3: Knowing the difference between action taking & action faking

- Seriously... This one is a big reason as to why I failed with Entrepreneurship. If you aren't doing things that MAKE YOU MONEY and grow your business (cold calling, meeting prospects, presenting) then you are NOT taking action

The consequence: Not making any sales. Thinking I was doing things that were moving me closer to my goals, but in reality they dug me deeper into my hole of "where to now". Always being busy without having anything to show for it. (Do the work needed and spend time with the people that matter. Stop being pretend busy and make things happen.)

Thing #4: Just because you make a lot of money doesn't mean spend it on whatever the hell you want (unless you made it to the fastlane and you're already actively growing your wealth with other freedom fighters)
- When I started making $25k to $30k a month I made the mistake of thinking it'd last forever. I spent as if I would always have money in my bank account. Boy I was wrong.

The consequence: Ending up broke again and worse-off before since I had a huge tax-bill with no way to pay it back. (Take the majority of that money and grow your business while you can because I can promise you that most of the time you won't stay up forever -- unless you take what you earn and make it work to earn you more)

Thing #5: Get a good accountant that can help you cut your taxes as far as possible & PUT MONEY AWAY FOR TAXES
- This one really screwed me over. I wasn't operating like a business and therefore I ignorantly shunned the tax situation. Because I thought the money would never end, I was hit hard with a tax bill that I couldn't pay. That is NOT fun. Don't do it.

The consequence: Extend my tax payment and the feeling of being "out of control" since I didn't know how business taxes worked. I can assure you... Tax day will come.

Like I said, I hope that this helps some people out there. I truly wish I'd came across this forum before I made the above mistakes, but hey, I didn't... If I didn't make these mistakes then I couldn't help others from making them.

If any of you fastlaners have your "two cents" on mistakes you made, please comment below.

Cheers,
Josh

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
Thank you for putting all that out there like that. Seeing context and a story behind some points that get thrown out (Especially making damn sure you have that alt stream before quitting, and knowing that certain revenues truly aren't enough) makes them all the more pertinent.
What was your experience with the taxes like the first time, if you don't mind me asking? I'm vaguely aware the IRS expects roughly 35% and wants payments every 3 quarter best case scenario. Did they go after you because you were spending a good chunk of change in those early days and therefore tried to frame it as personal income?

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Few things to add from my experience.

Thing #6: Learn at least something about Entrepreneurship before you start
- Otherwise, you'll be jumping from one idea to another looking for something that can make some money instead of focusing on the one thing that's providing value

The consequence: Building yourself a job

Thing #7: Don't try to jump over your head

- Every business has an Entry Barrier. If that's too high for your current situation don't even try to enter, you're almost guaranteed to fail. Hoping that for some reason you would make it is not a good business plan.

The consequence: Wasted time and money

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
Thank you for putting all that out there like that

Sure thing. Happy to give my experience!

Did they go after you because you were spending a good chunk of change in those early days and therefore tried to frame it as personal income?

I just ended up paying the bill with penalties. Crappy thing to have to learn the hard way lol.

Thing #6: Learn at least something about Entrepreneurship before you start
- Otherwise, you'll be jumping from one idea to another looking for something that can make some money instead of focusing on the one thing that's providing value

Yep, sounds like me a while back... haha

Thanks for adding your two cents. Anybody reading... share your experience & keep it going.

Cheers guys

D

Deleted52409

#1 and #2 go hand and hand. I struggled with cashflow most of 2018. Living in Mom's basement was the only thing keeping me afloat. If I had simply gotten a FULL TIME job last spring, I always wonder if I would have met the financial + time commitments for mushroom farming. But I didn't want to work full time because "I've got $5000 in savings" and "all I need is a positive mindset".

The nail in the coffin was when my car broke down after I wasted money on unnecessary upgrades.... it's embarrassing looking back!!!!!

For #3, I ran into this trap at the end of last year, where I would slowly evaluate and research the idea + test market the market. I executed super slowly so that I wouldn't make stupid mistakes like before. 6 months flew by and I've haven't lost much money so far. But I now realize that everything has taken twice as long and as it should have.

D

Deleted52409

Thing #8: Work on a career
I've been so caught up in those rare millionaire success stories about college dropouts who move to NYC with $500 in the bank. But the truth is that if you have a stable career (trades, accounting, STEM), even if you're making only $50k a year at a job you hate, that's way more room for error than when I was working $10 an hour/retail.

It took me 6 months to save up $5000 after my Mushroom farm failed. That summer I had to quit working at the grocery store to do construction. I'm only 20 so I recovered quickly. But still I wasted time and if I had spent all of last year learning a trade like now, I would be way ahead with starting capital.

Few things to add from my experience.
Thing #7: Don't try to jump over your head
- Every business has an Entry Barrier. If that's too high for your current situation don't even try to enter, you're almost guaranteed to fail. Hoping that for some reason you would make it is not a good business plan.

The consequence: Wasted time and money

Ahahahahahahhhaahahah I noticed this right after I posted. The irony!

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Hunt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 9, 2019
Good stuff! My plan for finances is to only use money from the business for the minimum living expenses. Everything earned above that is invested. Once investment income reaches the point of covering minimum living expenses, I will only live off that, and everything earned from business will be invested! If I want to increase my standard of living, I must do that by increasing investment income.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
I would also add one thing that not many people talk about and it is to start your business before you quit your job. You probably do not need to work 16 hours per day to get started and then you can see how it goes on the initial stages before you abandon your daily job.

Also testing your risk appetite is a good idea, not everyone is comfortable investing a lot of money on the unknown or spending 1-2 years hitting the wall.

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
#1 and #2 go hand and hand. I struggled with cashflow most of 2018. Living in Mom's basement was the only thing keeping me afloat. If I had simply gotten a FULL TIME job last spring, I always wonder if I would have met the financial + time commitments for mushroom farming. But I didn't want to work full time because "I've got $5000 in savings" and "all I need is a positive mindset".

The nail in the coffin was when my car broke down after I wasted money on unnecessary upgrades.... it's embarrassing looking back!!!!!

For #3, I ran into this trap at the end of last year, where I would slowly evaluate and research the idea + test market the market. I executed super slowly so that I wouldn't make stupid mistakes like before. 6 months flew by and I've haven't lost much money so far. But I now realize that everything has taken twice as long and as it should have.

Thanks for contributing :) Yep, these types of things will hopefully help others not make the same mistakes!

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
Hey guys as I was reflecting after waking up I thought about something else I wish I knew:

Thing #9: Embrace the naysayers (Their force is strong)
- People are quick to give you all the reasoning in the world as to why you wont realize your dreams. These people are simply the ones who never had dreams or gave up on their dreams a long time ago. A lot of times naysayers are your family and friends, and while they give you every reason to slow your role (trying to protect you) you need to have the courage and strength to believe in yourself.

The consequence: Quitting too early and living with regret. Being treasonous to yourself and your dreams.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thing #10: Knowledge Gaps Continually Seek Expansion

As entrepreneurs, we can never know enough. Worse, the knowledge gap continually expands and we have to continually seek to slow it, or reverse its expansion.

Because culture continually changes, we also must learn to adapt, from technology, to tastes, to marketing strategy. Things that you know today, learn today, and might work today, will be absolutely worthless in the near future, in years, perhaps as early as months.

For example, I was reading a book on business scaling some months ago. This book was about 3 years old. The strategies espoused in this book were already antiquated and couldn't be replicated. The knowledge gap already swallowed up the tactics into worthlessness.

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
Great stuff guys... Anybody else have things to add? Lets keep this thing going ;)

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Thing #11: Get it to the market
Yes, you may think it's not good enough, not perfect, not ready, bad idea, etc. But that's only you. The market is probably much bigger and consists of different people/businesses. Someone might like it. You'll never know until it's there. This is extremely important if that's "your passion" as you would have much higher standards for it than most people.

The consequence: Wasting time & money

Thing #12: Do it alone or know your partners
When you decided to take a partner think really carefully. Both of you are starting the journey that would hopefully last for years. The match should be nearly perfect. It's like marriage. Would you marry someone you barely know?

In my opinion, having a partner is perfectly fine. Some businesses are much harder to build alone, having a partner is almost an entry requirement. You simply have 24 hours in a day and a lot of things to manage at once.

The consequence: Losing a partner/friend, possibly destroying the business you built

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Thing #13: Think of your end goals
And built the business that can achieve them. You on your own and have the choice of what to do and how. And the choice of what to do next on every stepping stone of your journey. Choose carefully. One vehicle is the fastest on the highway, other is better in handling, maybe you prefer comfort or going offroad? Maybe the ground is not your thing and you prefer water, air or space? That's completely different vehicles, don't waste resources on something you don't want.

The consequence: Building something you never wanted or starting from scratch in the middle of the journey

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Thing #8: Work on a career
I've been so caught up in those rare millionaire success stories about college dropouts who move to NYC with $500 in the bank. But the truth is that if you have a stable career (trades, accounting, STEM), even if you're making only $50k a year at a job you hate, that's way more room for error than when I was working $10 an hour/retail.

It took me 6 months to save up $5000 after my Mushroom farm failed. That summer I had to quit working at the grocery store to do construction. I'm only 20 so I recovered quickly. But still I wasted time and if I had spent all of last year learning a trade like now, I would be way ahead with starting capital.

Ahahahahahahhhaahahah I noticed this right after I posted. The irony!
Why did your mushroom farm fail?

D

Deleted52409

Why did your mushroom farm fail?

Cashflow. It's not THAT hard to grow mushrooms in small numbers. You can even sell to restaurants or farmers markets in the beginning as a hobby/side hustle. But the market caps out quickly and you won't make much from that alone. Especially in a small city. Once you cap out you have to grow commercially. This means you will be competing with massive growers. I never got to this stage but I would have had to compete based on USDA pricing.

As you scale more and more this is the cycle you start to face:

You grow mushrooms, sell them, and you make money. Then you eventually have contamination/HVAC problems. Then out of fear you reinvest into more supplies and upgrades. Then you have to pay a heavy electricity bill and maybe even rent. If you get hit too hard with contamination at the wrong time you are financially done; especially if you are on a budget. If you are unable to consistently make orders and hit your target volume numbers you are done. If you are unwilling to take on debt and/or be unable to throw away thousands of dollars of perfectly good mushrooms (you overgrow so that you can hit your volume requirements ) on a whim you are done. And...... whatever is leftover is your profit. And the cycle repeats itself.

After the third round of this, with approximately $0 dollars left, I decided I was biting off more than I could chew. So I cut my losses and played wantrepreneur for a couple months until I found something better for me to work on.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Cashflow. It's not THAT hard to grow mushrooms in small numbers. You can even sell to restaurants or farmers markets in the beginning as a hobby/side hustle. But the market caps out quickly and you won't make much from that alone. Especially in a small city. Once you cap out you have to grow commercially. This means you will be competing with massive growers. I never got to this stage but I would have had to compete based on USDA pricing.

As you scale more and more this is the cycle you start to face:

You grow mushrooms, sell them, and you make money. Then you eventually have contamination/HVAC problems. Then out of fear you reinvest into more supplies and upgrades. Then you have to pay a heavy electricity bill and maybe even rent. If you get hit too hard with contamination at the wrong time you are financially done; especially if you are on a budget. If you are unable to consistently make orders and hit your target volume numbers you are done. If you are unwilling to take on debt and/or be unable to throw away thousands of dollars of perfectly good mushrooms (you overgrow so that you can hit your volume requirements ) on a whim you are done. And...... whatever is leftover is your profit. And the cycle repeats itself.

After the third round of this, with approximately $0 dollars left, I decided I was biting off more than I could chew. So I cut my losses and played wantrepreneur for a couple months until I found something better for me to work on.
Once my friend approached me as partner&investor with an idea to grow plants using hydroponics.
I'm the kind of guy to think more than necessary, test and calculate everything upfront.
So we quickly hacked 3 very small test setups in my basement: two for microgreens and one for lettuce.
After getting good results from every one of them, I've started calculating... And the ROI was heavily negative.
Turns out we have almost the same cost of electricity as the rest of the world, but those plants are 5-10 times cheaper here than in NY or Tokyo.
We kinda had a channel to sell them, so I've calculated the open growing and greenhouse. Both were positive, but the ROI for an area and the number of employees was really small. Just the cost of electricity for lighting was killing the idea.

D

Deleted67963

One of my biggest mistake was to build a complete product before hitting the market (it was a real time cartography app for IoT network, you could map in 2D/3D) so loosed 5month of work to hit the wrong market and made zero sales.
I was stuck in this old French mindset of build then sell
Better to hit the market early and iterate as much as you need until you find your target than building a product then trying to find your audience...

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
so loosed 5month of work to hit the wrong market and made zero sales.

Was there anyway you could have optimized and adapted the product to something the market was looking for?

Or did you just scrap that road?

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California

Sounds pretty volatile! Especially on a budget. Are you back on the fastlane track? What are you doing now?

ElenaStar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 28, 2019
Kansas City
While I haven't made my first million as of this writing, I can say with certainty that I've had my share of experiences when it comes to things I wish I knew when I started my entrepreneurial journey.

So, if this post helps at least 1 person steer clear of making some of the mistakes I did or at least get them to think about what they're doing before they do it... Will satisfy me deeply.

Thing #1: Don't quit your job until you have an alternative income source
- Should be self-explanatory right? I made the mistake of leaving too soon without any safety net because I "thought I knew everything". I was wrong.

The consequence: Destroyed my 768 credit score by living off my credit cards while "thinking" I was moving toward my goals and ended up with a mountain of debt that I couldn't repay.

Thing #2: Plan on it taking a lot more time to get rich then you expect it to (most of the time)

- While, as MJ says... You can get rich quick -- it's not easy. I underestimated the time it would take for me to get situated with Entrepreneurship because I thought I'd already been one the whole time because I worked for Tai Lopez.

The consequence: Stubbornly rationalizing to myself and others that something will pan out even though I had nothing in the pipeline. Becoming discouraged over my venture because I was so far off I thought I was going to get rich or at least make good money fast.

Thing #3: Knowing the difference between action taking & action faking

- Seriously... This one is a big reason as to why I failed with Entrepreneurship. If you aren't doing things that MAKE YOU MONEY and grow your business (cold calling, meeting prospects, presenting) then you are NOT taking action

The consequence: Not making any sales. Thinking I was doing things that were moving me closer to my goals, but in reality they dug me deeper into my hole of "where to now". Always being busy without having anything to show for it. (Do the work needed and spend time with the people that matter. Stop being pretend busy and make things happen.)

Thing #4: Just because you make a lot of money doesn't mean spend it on whatever the hell you want (unless you made it to the fastlane and you're already actively growing your wealth with other freedom fighters)
- When I started making $25k to $30k a month I made the mistake of thinking it'd last forever. I spent as if I would always have money in my bank account. Boy I was wrong.

The consequence: Ending up broke again and worse-off before since I had a huge tax-bill with no way to pay it back. (Take the majority of that money and grow your business while you can because I can promise you that most of the time you won't stay up forever -- unless you take what you earn and make it work to earn you more)

Thing #5: Get a good accountant that can help you cut your taxes as far as possible & PUT MONEY AWAY FOR TAXES
- This one really screwed me over. I wasn't operating like a business and therefore I ignorantly shunned the tax situation. Because I thought the money would never end, I was hit hard with a tax bill that I couldn't pay. That is NOT fun. Don't do it.

The consequence: Extend my tax payment and the feeling of being "out of control" since I didn't know how business taxes worked. I can assure you... Tax day will come.

Like I said, I hope that this helps some people out there. I truly wish I'd came across this forum before I made the above mistakes, but hey, I didn't... If I didn't make these mistakes then I couldn't help others from making them.

If any of you fastlaners have your "two cents" on mistakes you made, please comment below.

Cheers,
Josh

Hi! I love hearing what not to do's! We dont know to ask what we dont know.
1) One of the mistakes that I made was not preparing for success. I spent so much time and energy preparing to launch that I was not prepared very well for what I was doing to work better than I had expected. Being short on inventory, staff and not having a system to handle the next steps is one way to quickly lose new clients.
2) Network within your industry, other entrepreneurs in our particular industries are incredible resources and support and in my experience few are adverse for fear of you "copying" them. Healthy competition is a great way to keep raising the bar.

D

Deleted67963

Was there anyway you could have optimized and adapted the product to something the market was looking for?

Or did you just scrap that road?

I surely could and still can but I lacked business knowledge at that time (not so long ago 1.5y)
Other thing I found difficult is when you don't have a specific industry focus and knowledge about their struggles.
So you build something that could fit lots of usecases without knowing how to market them for a specific need.
Other thing I'd like to have as a skill is to think less, I overthink stuff and sometimes (often) get paralyzed by it.

But one of the last idea I had and went pretty far on it without coding a line (just network, phonecalls etc..) was an offline entertainement box for africa (selling the box to solar electricy providers, they all have plans with TV, fridge etc.. but no one with an entertainement offer other than expensive cable stuff, the client has to buy itself to local brand)
I validated all the tech with CTO friends, found 2 clients (SEP in 4 african countries) called the media manager of one of the biggest content provider in africa but refused my need of a cost/user/media, they wanted at least 40k/m for the media catalog and I couldn't afford the POC.

Beside the story , this time I just invested little time talking. I have not spent months for a prototype before going to potential clients and content provider.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
I think networking does have a big influence on the growth of your business, for sure!
I would say HUGE influence. Even hanging with successful entrepreneurs from different industry. Especially if you're a newbie.

This saves years of learning and making mistakes alone.
Don't know about all, but I learn from someone's experience a lot faster than from books, courses, and even this forum.
The fact that I know a person in real life also gives the subconscious belief that it's working and encourages to think why and decompose their success.
Don't get me wrong. This forum, MJs books and a lot of content out there are great. Many people here are more successful that who I know in real life.
But it doesn't give that subconscious confidence that if someone did it, it's really possible and I can do it too.
And the subconsciousness doesn't trust the consciousness and keeps being worried too much, it needs something more than content to trust the process.

It's HUGE for me.

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
I would say HUGE influence. Even hanging with successful entrepreneurs from different industry. Especially if you're a newbie.

100%

That's how I got my entrepreneur bug... I was blessed to have been around many millionaires and a few billionaires when I was really young. (I guess that sculpted my drive and spirit for the fastlane)

Here's a funny story... One time I was with my dad and his partners at an INDYCAR race in California. We were in the corporate suites (open food, bar, etc.)

Since i was real young (about 8 years old) I was the gopher for all the partners since the food was 1 story below. I will never forget going into the PepsiCo corporate suite to grab some hot-dogs and, as i put it, "a few cokes"... Ah, I will forever remember the executives (i'm talking big time people) poke fun at me for asking for a coke in the pepsi suite.

ElenaStar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 28, 2019
Kansas City
Hi Jsoh,
I realized planning for success and expecting success go hand in hand. After not being prepared for the small successes I experienced it was like taking two steps forward and three steps back. I made it a point to start investing in the outcome I expected. I know it sounds like a no brainer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.