What's new

This awesome "life hack" is also the easiest to use.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
Newsletter threads

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Three years ago, after 25 years, I traded Arizona's sun for Utah's mountains, upgrading my home from a plentiful 4,400 square feet to a sprawling 13,000. The game-changer? There were several, from an indoor basketball court to a home theater to the most important of all: a home gym.

collage-home.webp

At last, I could exercise in peace!

There were no more teenagers glued to their smartphones while "working out," no more meatheads glaring at me for using the leg press, and no more scantily clad fitness influencers parading around like they were on a modeling runway.

Finally, it was just me, my workout, and the freedom to exercise shirtless without an audience. I could also blast my music as loud as I wanted.

As you can expect, my workouts became more consistent. I no longer had to commute to a gym, so working out was as simple as walking downstairs. It was the first time I had not had a gym membership in 30 years.

But something interesting happened.

While my frequency of workouts increased, the intensity and duration suffered.

It was easier to quit, to cut a workout short, or just wander next door into the theater.

Yes, I still made gains, but I hit a plateau pretty quick.

Then, a twist: a new gym opened just 12 minutes away in an area that desperately needed one. While I had no interest in rejoining the crowds of teenagers and camera-ready fitness YouTubers, this gym boasted a lap pool (mine is off-limits for nine months a year) and a dry sauna (it eclipsed my home's infrared sauna, which is capped at 150 degrees).

Boom!

Those two features— a blazing hot sauna and a year-round pool—turned me from a skeptic into a buyer on the spot.

Quick refresher: Any feature or benefit that flips a switch for potential buyers, transforming curiosity into commitment, is a value skew. And the more value skews you present to potential customers, the more buyers you get.

What skew can you add to your business to attract more buyers?

While this newsletter isn't about value skew (keep reading) it is worth repeating—more value skew = more buyers.

Here is a sample list of value skews you can leverage in your business. Remember, the more "value skews" you put into the competition, the more runners you can get to cross the value threshold. (This concept is not discussed in my first two books, but in my 3rd book, The Great Rat Race Escape )

• Better marketing
  • Better user experience
  • Better pricing
  • Better ingredients
  • Better packaging
  • Better customer service
  • Better features
  • Better convenience
  • Better ordering options
  • Better shipping options
  • Better color combos
  • Better amenities (spa, pool!)
TheValueSkew.webp
Anyhow, back to my gym story...

After joining my new gym, I went every day, even to stretch or jump rope.

Then, something amazing happened—my workout intensity and duration went from 5s and 6s to 9s and 10s.

I got over my plateau and leveled up, becoming stronger and fitter.

Why?

I altered my environment.

While I wouldn't say I like crowds, being surrounded by highly fit people, both men and women, elevated my intensity and motivated me.

What if your desk was next to your favorite entrepreneur or business mogul? What if I sat next to you?

Wouldn't you do better work? And have better productivity?

This is the ultimate life hack for transformative change: Shift your environment.

If you ever watched "My 600lb Life," where morbidly obese people try to lose weight and fail, you'll notice one commonality: They fail to change their environment.

After consulting with Dr. Now, people return home to a dietary shitshow enabled by family members. You cannot lose weight when your dinner options are donuts, pancakes, and buckets of fried chicken.

In other words, don't expect to cure your alcoholism while owning a tavern.

So, if you're feeling stuck and your motivation is gone, overhaul your environment!

My leap from Chicago to Arizona, selling a company not once but twice and stepping back into a gym after two years away testify to this principle's power.

But don't think you must upend your life with a cross-country move.

It's the more minor shifts that can pack the biggest punch. Try reorganizing your desk, changing your work location, or simply tidying up. Whenever I write, I clean up my workspace; a cleaner workspace = cleaner writing.

Consider switching jobs or even roles within your current job. Maybe it's time to embrace significant personal changes, like starting or ending a relationship.

Change a living situation.

It could be as simple as biking to work, writing by the sea, or swapping the gym for home workouts. Yes, you might do better working out in solitude versus a crowded gym.

YouTuber Casey Niestat's goal of running a marathon in under three hours, chronicled in a compelling video, vividly illustrates this principle. Despite the video's main message of perseverance and incremental progress, a crucial turning point came through an environmental shift.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IiTdSnmS7E

After years of stagnation, Casey broke his plateau by teaming up with an Olympic marathon runner. Transitioning from solo training to mentorship transformed his performance.

Check out the video—it's an inspiring watch.

So, what's the takeaway?

Manipulate your environment to fuel your success—it is one of the simplest and most potent life hacks you can use.

• How can you alter your surroundings to accelerate your growth?
  • What aspects of your environment are holding you back?
  • What can you modify, shift, or remove?
  • What's stopping you from these changes?
  • What's the best environment and worse?

Know thyself— then change your environment and change your life.

~ MJ

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Zua ciduni e qsufadv ug vji ipwosunipv zua esi op. Vsai emtu xovj vji qiuqmi zua esi esuapf xjodj vjip hivt vseptmevif vu zuas xusvj ot iraem us pies vjev ug vji 5 dmutitv qiuqmi vu zua.

Qsuyonovz vu vjopht nevvist tu nadj. Iwip op visnt ug gudat, nuuf, ivd. Og zua'wi ciip op e cef nipvem tvevi xusloph op zuas juni uggodi, zuas nopf ot pux epdjusif vjuti vxu vjopht vuhivjis.

Vji upmz coh djemmiphi ot xjip zua tvesv vu cimoiwi djephoph zuas ipwosupnipv otp'v quttocmi.

O jies gsun qiuqmi ev vonit, O fup'v jewi epzxjisi imti vu hu. Vjev't tonqmz puv vsai apmitt zua esi pup-encamevusz. Zua katv esip'v cioph dsievowi us cumf ipuahj vu vjopl ug pix uqvoupt.

Hsiev quopvt NK.

O muwi Detiz Piotvev, epf vjev xet e xupfisgam wofiu.

Tonomesmz vu jux ji josif vji umznqod duedj, O gimv tvadl op e sav up e coh qsukidv O'n xusloph up, epf egvis e fez ug noponem qsuhsitt, epf giimoph vji timg-fuacv dsiiqoph op up xjivjis us puv O jef xjev ov velit vu tii vjot qsukidv vu dunqmivoup, O josif tuniupi vjot nuspoph xju't taddittgammz fupi vjot vjoph vjintimwit vu jimq duedj ni vjsuahj ov.

Katv piifif e gsitj qistqidvowi egvis jovvoph e xemm xovj nz uxp cseoptvusnoph/qmeppoph.

Metv Kapi/Kamz O vuul vji qsuedvowi fidotoup vu nuwi opvu nz fef’t juati. Vji neop sietup gus vjot xet O gimv ov xuamf ci nusi dupfadvowi vu nz timg onqsuwinipv/fiwimuqnipv.

O xet sohjv. Xi xusl uav, hu vu iwipvt (vjev O’f tez esi jiemoph) epf eon vu iev jiemvjois epf civvis.

Nz gsiifun jisi ot emtu eqqesipv. O fup’v jewi vu qez sipv epf nz fef ot gammz taqqusvowi ug nz ipvsiqsipiasoem huemt, xjisiet nz nan xet pihmidvoph epf deavouat ug nz ipvsiqsipiasoem huemt.

Taqis wemaecmi qutv NK, ipwosupnipv djephit iwiszvjoph! Vji qiuqmi zua tassuapf zuastimg xovj, woci ug vji qmedi zua mowi epf iwip jux vofz zuas suun ot!

Upi voq gus qiuqmi ot, hu tunixjisi emupi (demm ov e jumofez og zua moli) xjisi zua esi vjisi gus e nupvj us tu uavtofi zuas pusnem mogi epf dunqmivimz gudat up vjev qsukidv zua xepvif vu xusl up. Gsoipft demm zua aq epf tez “xeppe duni uav epf fsopl” -> “O’n op Y duapvsz/dovz”. (O guapf vjot op e wisz umf onep hefbjo wofiu, vjuahjv ov xet e huuf voq.)

Cmitt aq hazt, liiq nuwoph gusxesft op zuas mogi.

Xjev og O tev piyv vu zua?
Woix: jvvqt://xxx.zuavaci.dun/xevdj?w=l4iNjffVQh4

Tussz, O duamfp'v sitotv. Vjeplt gus zuas qutv, NK. Molif ov e muv epf ov't vsai gus ni et ximm. O'wi sief e tonomes eqqsuedj op vji cuul Evunod Jecovt.

Vji ottai O gedi ot vjev ov ot nutv ug vji voni xez nusi dupwipoipv vu katv tvodl vu zuas ipwosupnipv (zuas juni hzn op zuas iyenqmi, nz juni uggodi op nz deti) optvief ug huoph vu qmedit xjisi moli-nopfif qiuqmi sitofi. O lpux ov't ep iydati, cav op tuni podjit, gopfoph vjuti qiuqmi dep tiin raovi foggodamv. Itqidoemmz og vjiz mowi op nupl-nufi xovjop vjios suunt et ximm. (i.h., tumu TeeT guapfist).

Hsiev qutv NK.

O'wi ciip up MoplifOp raovi e cov sidipvmz, vszoph vu gohasi ov uav (eheop!).

O'wi ciip edvowimz apgummuxoph epzupi qutvoph dupvipv O gopf eppuzoph (vzqodemmz vji "jisi't jux zua piif vu qutv zuas dupvipv up MoplifOp" opgmaipdis vzqit).

O'wi ciip edvowimz iphehoph xovj qiuqmi fuoph opvisitvoph tvagg epf xsovoph op e xez O moli, vu ipduasehi vji emhusovjn vu tjux ni nusi ug vjios tvagg.

Nz MoplifOp giif (epf opcuy) ot nadj civvis pux, et O'wi tassuapfif nztimg xovj qiuqmi edvaemmz fuoph tvagg sevjis vjep katv qutvoph ecuav jux vu fu tvagg.

Ov't e tonqmi xez vu tassuapf zuastimg xovj qiuqmi xju xomm optqosi epf nuvowevi zua, epf dav uav vjuti vjev fup'v.

Nepoqamevi zuas ipwosupnipv vu gaim zuas tadditt—ov ot upi ug vji tonqmitv epf nutv quvipv mogi jedlt zua dep ati.
O 100% ehsii. Vjot jet xuslif gus ni op iwiszvjoph O jewi edjoiwif.
Ov ot emtu cedlif aq cz tdoipvogod sitiesdj.

Vu qeseqjseti:
  • Vji qistup xju fitohpt vjios ipwosupnipv ot vji qistup xju fitohpt vjios mogi.
  • Xi dep ci vji esdjovidv ug uas tadditt us vji esdjovidv ug uas uxp finoti.
  • Djuutoph puv vu djephi epzvjoph op uas ipwosupnipv ot emtu e djuodi.

Vjeplt gus vji qutv @NK FiNesdu!

Vjot ot vji amvonevi mogi jedl gus vseptgusnevowi djephi: Tjogv zuas ipwosupnipv.

Muwi ov, hsiev efwodi. 100% vsai.

Ov dep niep tunivjoph tu tonqmi epf ietz et tohpoph aq gus ep eqq moli Tvsewe vu hiv nuvowevif vu fu ipfasepdi tqusvt!

Us tunivjoph et coh epf onqusvepv et nuwoph duapvsoit vu civvis zuas mogi.

Us tunivjoph op vji noffmi, tohpoph aq gus e gusan vu ficevi catopitt dupdiqvt, mittupt, jimqoph uvjist epf hivvoph jimq op sivasp.

Cioph tassuapfif cz uvjis ipvsiqsipiast xomm neli zua e civvis ipvsiqsipias. Ov't katv e gedv, O fup'v neli vji samit.

ietz et tohpoph aq gus ep eqq moli Tvsewe vu hiv nuvowevif

Nz xogi huv e Xjuuq xjodj ot epuvjis counivsod jiemvj vsedlis.

O emsiefz jewi ep Uase soph epf jewi pu dunqmeopvt, epf disveopmz xetp'v muuloph gus epuvjis fiwodi vu nupovus nz JSW, tmiiq, epf uvjis counivsodt.

Juxiwis xjip tji tjuxif ni vji eqq, epf ov seplif zua op dunqesotup vu uvjist op zuas ehi hsuaq (e raeto-dunqivovoup) O onnifoevimz cuahjv upi. Vjot xet e wemai tlix vjev dunqimmif ni vu caz. Ov emtu emmuxif ni vu nepoqamevi nz ipwosupnipv epf tii jux O'n fuoph esuapf uvjis qiuqmi nz ehi.

Nz Uase fuit puv fu vjev.

Hsiev qutv @NK FiNesdu. O piif vu xsovi vjot fuxp tunixjisi xjisi O dep tii ov emm vji voni:
Nepoqamevi zuas ipwosupnipv vu gaim zuas tadditt—ov ot upi ug vji tonqmitv epf nutv quvipv mogi jedlt zua dep ati.
O emtu muwi vji wofiu. Vjeplt tu nadj gus tjesoph.

O emvisif nz ipwosupnipv, xjodj O fof.
Op tiesdj ug quvipvoem qiuqmi xju cimoiwi op e) tewoph vji ipwosupnipv gsun xetvi c) vaspoph vji catopitt opvu qsugovttt.

Fotduwis vji tatveopecomovz qsukidv op Veoxep.

Xipv cedl vu Tophequsi gus 6 nupvjt, pu djepdi.

Tiiloph dupvedvt op Djope gus 3 nupvjt, xeovoph & pu mieft.

Qovdj Fidl nufogodevoup jet jef djephif tu nepz vonit vjev O jewi mutv duapv.

Epz tahhitvoupt esi ximduni.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom