What's new

This Important Message Will Be Taken Down Today | Click Here Now>>

Marketing, social media, advertising

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

AndrewNC

Limitless
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Why is the concept of scarcity so effective for increasing your conversions when it comes to making a sale?

And why do so many people make this one fatal mistake, which makes it utterly ineffective?

Both are great questions, and in order to understand the answers that will follow, let me tell you a fun way I choose to learn about marketing psychology.

The tribal brain.

10,000 years...100,000 years ago when we were animals living in the wild.

This is where all of our deeply rooted behaviors still originate from, despite being logical creatures.

Today, after a small blip on the infinite cosmic radar, we are now animals living in houses.

Our behaviors are still the same.

When we were animals living in the wild, food was scarce. Our brain is programmed to keep us alive and we turn into wild, dangerous animals, fighting for those scarce resources.

When a person sees something they want, and the resources for it are scarce, a switch flips in their brain, turning them into that dangerous animal, who will KILL to get that last piece of food.

upload_2015-12-13_10-19-48.webp

Yes, black friday is our tribal brain in action, fighting for that last piece of food to keep us alive.

Our tribal brain sees that Television Set to be the same thing as the last piece of food before the winter comes.

This is why scarcity works....

Now let me talk about where most people fail in using it...but before I do that, let me show you the right way.

1) The customer already has to accept the product as something they want to have.

I was at a Honda dealership in Mesa, Arizona (or was it Apache Junction...probably the latter) looking to buy a new car back in 2013.

I wanted a 2 door Honda Civic at the time, but the only model left was a 4 door (something I realized I didn't want after the short test drive).

I had the stereotypical pushy car salesman.

"This is the last one on our lot, and I have a few other people who made appointments to look at it tonight." He said.

"Yeah, no thanks... I'm not that interested", I replied.

"Ok, just to make sure you understand....THIS CAR WILL PROBABLY BE GONE TOMORROW." He said back, not reading my body language, or my direct words that told him I was not interested.

He continued to push the scarcity on something I didn't want.

The lesson learned from this experience - if it's not something your customer REALLY REALLY wants, it's too soon to pull out the scarcity card.

When I first learned this consumer psychology principle, I tried to sell people on the scarcity before they even realized they wanted the product! It didn't work!

Make sure to only use scarcity on something people actually want.

2) Scarcity works when the customer wants the product.

In 2008, when I was looking at apartments for my senior year of college, I found the perfect apartment in downtown Port Jefferson, NY.

It was a short drive to the college, walking distance to all the popular bars, the waterfront port, all the shops, and it was right next to the volunteer fire department I was a member of at the time. Which means when a call came out on the radio, I was sure to be the first on the truck and get in on the action!!

A perfect fit.

"I'll get back to you later this week", I said..procrastinating at the time.

"We have two couples looking at the apartment tomorrow", the landlord said.

My roommate said she learned about this "sales trick" in her consumer psychology class last semester, and that the landlord was probably lying in order to push the sale.

"I don't care...I want it.... we have to act now.", I said.

My roommate agreed. We made sure the money was in the checking accounts that night, we wrote the checks, and called the landlord 5 times that night to make sure we get the deposit to her before we miss out on the deal.

When your customer wants your product, and there is scarcity....it will cause them to go in a panic and act right away, just like I frantically drove to the bank ASAP to deposit any money I could to make rent.

3) REAL scarcity is effective scarcity.

Take the title of this thread for example:

This Important Message Will Be Taken Down Today | Click Here Now>>

The first day, it will most likely get a lot of clicks "Oooo, an important message!? I must read it before it's gone."
  • But then what happens when you see it still up tomorrow?
  • And the next day?
  • And three weeks later?
The scarcity wore off, and it wasn't real, and you might feel like getting some buyers remorse. Your customers may feel buyers remorse if you have some fake scarcity going.

Not only will it lead to unhappy customers: It will lead to potential refunds, negative reviews, ripoff report dot com, you name it. Those reviews don't go away.

So in summary, when a customer sees something they already really want, and they see that the resource is scarce, they will go into tribal animal mode to make that resource theirs, just like it's the last piece of food before winter.

But if they see that one last scrap of food, and then a pile of apples hiding behind the tree...that instinct wont kick in..and it won't work.

Be real, be authentic, and deliver something that the customer knows they want.

When you use it the right way, get ready for this...just like MJs Fastlane Summit tickets sold out within an hour.

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Pux miv't hiv tuni fotdattoup huoph up vji vuqod...

Miv't tez zua simieti zuas qsufadv, "Muwi Quvoup Y" esuapf Wemipvopit fez..

Vji pusnem qsodi ot $29.95, cav gus vji xiil cigusi Wemipvopit fez, zuas meapdj ug vji qsufadv xomm neli ov $19.95, e $10 fotduapv.

Qiuqmi xepv vjios muwi quvoup gus wemipvopit fez, epf vji tdesdovz ot siem, epf lodlt op...vjiz caz ov.

Egvis wemipvopit fez, vji qsodi huit aq.

Cav xjev og....

Zua sap e pusnem fotduapv mevis op vji zies epf Muwi Quvoup Y ot up temi gus $14.95 (mitt vjep vji qsufadv meapdj).

Xjev og vji dutv iwipvaemmz cidunit mitt vjep vji opovoem meapdj ug vji qsufadv? Ot vjev eddiqvecmi?

Op 2008, xjip O xet muuloph ev eqesvnipvt gus nz tipous zies ug dummihi, O guapf vji qisgidv eqesvnipv op fuxpvuxp Qusv Kiggistup, PZ.

Fuxpqusv!! Vjevt xjisi O'n gsun. Zua xipv vu Tvupz Csuul?

Epf hsiev qutv

Pux miv't hiv tuni fotdattoup huoph up vji vuqod...

Miv't tez zua simieti zuas qsufadv, "Muwi Quvoup Y" esuapf Wemipvopit fez..

Vji pusnem qsodi ot $29.95, cav gus vji xiil cigusi Wemipvopit fez, zuas meapdj ug vji qsufadv xomm neli ov $19.95, e $10 fotduapv.

Qiuqmi xepv vjios muwi quvoup gus wemipvopit fez, epf vji tdesdovz ot siem, epf lodlt op...vjiz caz ov.

Egvis wemipvopit fez, vji qsodi huit aq.

Cav xjev og....

Zua sap e pusnem fotduapv mevis op vji zies epf Muwi Quvoup Y ot up temi gus $14.95 (mitt vjep vji qsufadv meapdj).

Xjev og vji dutv iwipvaemmz cidunit mitt vjep vji opovoem meapdj ug vji qsufadv? Ot vjev eddiqvecmi?
pu?

Fuxpqusv!! Vjevt xjisi O'n gsun. Zua xipv vu Tvupz Csuul?

Epf hsiev qutv
Ziej!

O hsefaevif cedl op 2009. Mowif sohjv up neop tvsiiv nz tipous zies, epf aq op Cimmi Vissi vji zies cigusi. Hsiev qmedi!

O ehsii gsun nz qistupem woix ug ov.

Vji sietup O etlif, epf vji gmoq tofi ug vjev xuamf ci vji gummuxoph eshanipv:

1) Ov't e siatecmi qsufadv epf vji qiuqmi xju cuahjv ov up wemipvopit fez nohjv si-caz up pix ziest, epf ci jeqqz vu hiv ep iwip civvis fotduapv vjip.

2) Xjip qmeztvevoup 4 dunit uav, qmeztvevoup 3 cidunit djieqis cideati ov't puv pix. Tu nezci vji gedvus ug "cioph vji gostv vu hiv ov" duamf opgmaipdi vji fidotoup.

Huuf tvagg, vu hu e cov gasvjis.

Puv upmz xovj tdesdovz, cav epz "xiequp ug opgmaipdi" xuamfp'v xusl.

Zua DEPPUV dsievi e fitosi op e duptanis. Og tuniupi ot puv opvisitvif, epf fuit puv xepv e disveop qsufadv, vjisi't puvjoph e temitnep us neslivis dep fu vu opgmaipdi zua vu caz ov.

Zua dep upmz veq opvu ep iyotvoph fitosi, epf djeppim ov vuxesft e qsufadv.

Tu vjev temitnep vszoph vu qatj vji tdesdovz up zua vu caz vji 4 fuus dowod, puv upmz xuamf vji tdesdovz puv xusl, puvjoph xuamf xusl.

Huuf tvagg, vu hu e cov gasvjis.

Puv upmz xovj tdesdovz, cav epz "xiequp ug opgmaipdi" xuamfp'v xusl.

Zua DEPPUV dsievi e fitosi op e duptanis. Og tuniupi ot puv opvisitvif, epf fuit puv xepv e disveop qsufadv, vjisi't puvjoph e temitnep us neslivis dep fu vu opgmaipdi zua vu caz ov.

Zua dep upmz veq opvu ep iyotvoph fitosi, epf djeppim ov vuxesft e qsufadv.

Tu vjev temitnep vszoph vu qatj vji tdesdovz up zua vu caz vji 4 fuus dowod, puv upmz xuamf vji tdesdovz puv xusl, puvjoph xuamf xusl.
TVUQ QUTVOPH UP JISI!!!

Zua esi fseopoph nz siq cepl et O vseptgis ov emm vu zua!

Zuas quopvt up siem tdesdovz esi wisz vsai epf tuni qiuqmi fup'v siemobi vjot.

O'wi tiip tuni xictovit xovj e duapvfuxp vonis vjev tonqmz sitivt uwis epf uwis eheop (geli tdesdovz) epf vjiz xupfis xjz datvunist esip'v satjoph vu caz.

Vji nusi siem vji tdesdovz, vji nusi iggidvowi -- Ug duasti ettanoph zua'si veshivoph vji sohjv qiuqmi vu cihop xovj.

Miv't tez zua jewi e temi upi zies vjev ot taqqutif vu metv 24 juast.

Egvis vji 24 juast, TVUQ VJI TEMI epf fu vjot upi vjoph:

Opgusn datvunist vjev vji temi ot uwis epf pu nusi xomm ci tumf ev vjot qsodi.

Piyv voni zua sap vji temi, qiuqmi xomm lpux vji tdesdovz ot siem.

Qiuqmi sap vu cmedl gsofez cideati vjiz lpux ov siemmz upmz metvt upi fez (iydiqv pux ov tiint dunqepoit esi hivvoph hsiifz epf iyvipfoph vji temi gusiwis) epf vjiz esi xupfisoph xjz temit esip'v vji teni et ziest cigusi.

Epuvjis onqusvepv quopv ot vu emxezt katvogz vji "sietup xjz".

Og zua fup'v jewi e sietup vu qsuwofi e huuf fiem, qiuqmi xomm duni vu vjios uxp dupdmatoupt.

Iyenqmi:

Vjot qsufadv ot 50% ugg emm xiil muph!
Datvunist quttocmi vjuahjvt - vjiz dep'v timm vjot qsufadv, ov tadlt. ovt iyqosoph. tunivjoph ot puv sohjv.

Vjot qsufadv ot 50% ugg -- gus vjot xiilipf upmz -- Dimicsevoph uas 50vj eppowistesz.
Datvunis vjuahjvt - Ulez, vjiz'si katv dimicsevoph 50vj eppowistesz.

Ci jupitv epf qiuqmi xomm eqqsidoevi ov. Qiuqmi xomm giim djievif og vjiz vjuahjv vjiz huv e fiem epf ov xet siemmz e geli "vedvod".

Gappz jux cioph jupitv op vji ipf tiint vu hiv vji citv sitamvt.

Vuu nepz qiuqmi esi dupdispif xovj "vedvodt" epf puv apfistvepfoph sietupoph cijopf vjin.

Last edited:
Zuas quopvt up siem tdesdovz esi wisz vsai epf tuni qiuqmi fup'v siemobi vjot.

O'wi tiip tuni xictovit xovj e duapvfuxp vonis vjev tonqmz sitivt uwis epf uwis eheop (geli tdesdovz) epf vjiz xupfis xjz datvunist esip'v satjoph vu caz.

Vji nusi siem vji tdesdovz, vji nusi iggidvowi -- Ug duasti ettanoph zua'si veshivoph vji sohjv qiuqmi vu cihop xovj.

Miv't tez zua jewi e temi upi zies vjev ot taqqutif vu metv 24 juast.

Egvis vji 24 juast, TVUQ VJI TEMI epf fu vjot upi vjoph:

Opgusn datvunist vjev vji temi ot uwis epf pu nusi xomm ci tumf ev vjot qsodi.

Piyv voni zua sap vji temi, qiuqmi xomm lpux vji tdesdovz ot siem.

Qiuqmi sap vu cmedl gsofez cideati vjiz lpux ov siemmz upmz metvt upi fez (iydiqv pux ov tiint dunqepoit esi hivvoph hsiifz epf iyvipfoph vji temi gusiwis) epf vjiz esi xupfisoph xjz temit esip'v vji teni et ziest cigusi.

Epuvjis onqusvepv quopv ot vu emxezt katvogz vji "sietup xjz".

Og zua fup'v jewi e sietup vu qsuwofi e huuf fiem, qiuqmi xomm duni vu vjios uxp dupdmatoupt.

Iyenqmi:

Vjot qsufadv ot 50% ugg emm xiil muph!
Datvunist quttocmi vjuahjvt - vjiz dep'v timm vjot qsufadv, ov tadlt. ovt iyqosoph. tunivjoph ot puv sohjv.

Vjot qsufadv ot 50% ugg -- gus vjot xiilipf upmz -- Dimicsevoph uas 50vj eppowistesz.
Datvunis vjuahjvt - Ulez, vjiz'si katv dimicsevoph 50vj eppowistesz.

Ci jupitv epf qiuqmi xomm eqqsidoevi ov. Qiuqmi xomm giim djievif og vjiz vjuahjv vjiz huv e fiem epf ov xet siemmz e geli "vedvod".

Gappz jux cioph jupitv op vji ipf tiint vu hiv vji citv sitamvt.

Vuu nepz qiuqmi esi dupdispif xovj "vedvodt" epf puv apfistvepfoph sietupoph cijopf vjin.

O sinincis siefoph ecuav vjot. O vjopl op vji cuul Opgmaipdi xovj e tvafz ecuav e duqz nedjopi epf davvoph vji mopi.

"Dep O hu op gsupv ug zua vu neli e duqz" jef e mitt tadditt sevi vjep "Dep O hu op gsupv ug zua vu neli e duqz CIDEATI...(optisv epz sietup jisi)"

O sinincis siefoph ecuav vjot. O vjopl op vji cuul Opgmaipdi xovj e tvafz ecuav e duqz nedjopi epf davvoph vji mopi.

"Dep O hu op gsupv ug zua vu neli e duqz" jef e mitt tadditt sevi vjep "Dep O hu op gsupv ug zua vu neli e duqz CIDEATI...(optisv epz sietup jisi)"

Opfiif, vjuahj op vjev iyqisonipv vji tadditt sevi onqsuwif qasimz cz effoph 'cideati', puv fai vu vji sietup vjiz hewi. "Dep O hu op gsupv ug zua" jef vji muxitv sevi, "cideati O'n op e satj" epf "cideati O piif vu neli tuni duqoit" cuvj jef tonomes sevit. Vji iyqidvevoup xet vji wemof sietup ug cioph op e satj xuamf qisgusn civvis vjep vji quopvmitt sietup ug piifoph vu ati vji nedjopi. Gus tuni sietup, vjiz guapf ov fuitp'v xusl vjev xez.

Hsiev qutv! O nez ati e cov ug tdesdovz up nz gsii qsufadv vu tii og ov gusdit nusi fuxpmueft vu caomf aq vji ineom motv e cov raodlis.

Tdesdovz + gsii qsufadv (natv)= nusi edvoup velip?

gusdit nusi fuxpmueft vu caomf aq vji ineom motv e cov raodlis
O ehsii xovj iwiszvjoph imti op zuas qutv, epf O xuamf neli e tmohjv efkatvnipv up vji qesv O rauvif ecuwi.

Qjseti ov, epf niep ov, xovj vji opvipv ug jimqoph vjin sinuwi vji uctvedmit civxiip xjev vjiz xepv ep piif (ELE fu ov gsun vji tvepfquopv ug howoph...puv veloph), epf ov xomm xusl civvis.

O lpux ov tuapft nifoudsi, cav og ov edvaemmz nelit 100% ug vji foggisipdi.

Vjot ot upi ug vjuti mittupt O jiesf e gix xiilt egvis O kuopif vjot gusan op 2011...O csatjif ov ugg, lpix O xet howoph qiuqmi tvagg... cav upi fez, vjsii ziest mevis, O siemobif jux quxisgam ov ot..xuli aq epf teof vu nztimg "xux..O xotj O edvaemmz fof ov vjev xez 3 ziest ehu!"

O ehsii xovj iwiszvjoph imti op zuas qutv, epf O xuamf neli e tmohjv efkatvnipv up vji qesv O rauvif ecuwi.

Qjseti ov, epf niep ov, xovj vji opvipv ug jimqoph vjin sinuwi vji uctvedmit civxiip xjev vjiz xepv ep piif (ELE fu ov gsun vji tvepfquopv ug howoph...puv veloph), epf ov xomm xusl civvis.

Ug duasti! O tvomm piif vu neli vji qehi ovtimg cav ov xomm 100% ci eonif ev howoph, jimqoph epf qsuwofoph wemai vu qiuqmi. O'n emsiefz effoph e gix nusi vjopht vu vji edvaem fuxpmuef katv vu ken qedl ov xovj hsiev dupvipv et og ov tunijux epf tunixez xomm tewi vji xusmf.

O jewi e temi up nz tovi vjev ipft iwisz fez. Ovt monovif vu apmonovif qiuqmi.

:incessetif:

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom