The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts on business ideas for a 16yr old

Idea threads

leonft

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
May 24, 2022
Hey guys,

I'm in high school right now and had a bit of an FTE, I seriously can't possibly imagine myself taking the traditional route of university and then a 9-5 job.
I've had various side hustles and built up about a 2-3k/month income, which I think is okay but I'm not satisfied. I've done sneaker reselling, web design and crypto trading to make this money. However, my issue is that these aren't technically business models and instead just side hustles (they don't follow the CENTS principles as well).
I want to start taking action immediately, but I'm not sure what route to go down.

A few things to keep in mind:

- I only have like 7k capital to invest in this
- I'm 16 so some ideas are definitely limited as some platforms don't allow under 18 (shopify for example)

Here are my ideas:

1. Ecom agency

Basically, since I already have experience with web design I was thinking of pairing this with SEO, advertising etc. to form an ecommerce agency. I would outsource the work that I couldn't do myself (eventually all of it) and just focus on gettng clients, which I've found I'm not too bad at (already managed to get 7 clients for web design, not using fivver, upwork etc. btw).
Pros:
- Already have experience with a smaller version of this I guess
- Doesn't really require much money at all to start
- Pretty scalable
- Always big demand for ecommerce work with the amount of ecom businesses at the moment
Cons:
- Very saturated - tons of people trying to start SMMA because of people like Iman Gadzhi
- Lots of ecom businesses have had bad experiences with scammy agencies giving all agencies a bad rep
- Lowish barrier to entry - I mean anyone can really start one especially if they're outsourcing

2. Selling a Course

Most likely for web design, but potentially also sneaker reselling. It seems ideal since once I put all my effort into making the course then I only have to focus on advertising aspect. This also seems very saturated and has a fairly low barrier to entry so may not be the most ideal, just putting it here anyway.

3. A Tutor finder website/app

This one is a bit more specific, but essentially since I'm in high school I've always struggled to find a tutor in my region as most of the time the platforms are either scams, overpriced, or some kind of agency/company instead of an actual tutor. I was thinking of creating a platform where, in my region, tutors can post their profiles and students are able to look through and find a tutor which suits their needs. However, every transaction or payment will go through my platform, to keep both parties safe, incurring a small fee that I receive.
Pros:
- Lots of work to set up but eventually should almost run itself
- Solves a real problem which I've struggled with myself - there's actually a gap in the market
Cons
- Crazy expensive and/or time consuming to setup (developing this kind of website/app)
- Would take quite a while to start gaining traction and would require a lot of advertising/SEO work
- A couple other websites out there doing something similar (but not very well)

4. Shopify Dropshipping (but with sneakers)

Same premise as normal dropshipping except with hyped sneakers. I'll list pairs that I can source for cheaper and take the profit between. I'm very good at making shopify websites, but not so much at advertising, so that would have to be something to learn.
Pros:
- already have experience with shopify
- good margins (at least $100 profit/pair)
Cons:
- very saturated and competitive, loads of stores either doing the same or without the dropshipping element
- really low barrier to entry (just have to know how to make a shopify website)
- Doesn't follow CENTS
- would have to run store under parents name since I'm under 18

Those are the 4 ideas I've thought of so far, personally leaning towards idea 1. Would appreciate some feedback on these, so I can just pick an idea and start taking action. I've failed with other ideas in the past so I'm sure whatever I pick it'll be a good learning lesson.

Thanks so much

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Hey guys,

I'm in high school right now and had a bit of an FTE, I seriously can't possibly imagine myself taking the traditional route of university and then a 9-5 job.
I've had various side hustles and built up about a 2-3k/month income, which I think is okay but I'm not satisfied. I've done sneaker reselling, web design and crypto trading to make this money. However, my issue is that these aren't technically business models and instead just side hustles (they don't follow the CENTS principles as well).
I want to start taking action immediately, but I'm not sure what route to go down.

A few things to keep in mind:
- I only have like 7k capital to invest in this
- I'm 16 so some ideas are definitely limited as some platforms don't allow under 18 (shopify for example)

Here are my ideas:

1. Ecom agency

Basically, since I already have experience with web design I was thinking of pairing this with SEO, advertising etc. to form an ecommerce agency. I would outsource the work that I couldn't do myself (eventually all of it) and just focus on gettng clients, which I've found I'm not too bad at (already managed to get 7 clients for web design, not using fivver, upwork etc. btw).
Pros:
- Already have experience with a smaller version of this I guess
- Doesn't really require much money at all to start
- Pretty scalable
- Always big demand for ecommerce work with the amount of ecom businesses at the moment
Cons:
- Very saturated - tons of people trying to start SMMA because of people like Iman Gadzhi
- Lots of ecom businesses have had bad experiences with scammy agencies giving all agencies a bad rep
- Lowish barrier to entry - I mean anyone can really start one especially if they're outsourcing

2. Selling a Course

Most likely for web design, but potentially also sneaker reselling. It seems ideal since once I put all my effort into making the course then I only have to focus on advertising aspect. This also seems very saturated and has a fairly low barrier to entry so may not be the most ideal, just putting it here anyway.

3. A Tutor finder website/app

This one is a bit more specific, but essentially since I'm in high school I've always struggled to find a tutor in my region as most of the time the platforms are either scams, overpriced, or some kind of agency/company instead of an actual tutor. I was thinking of creating a platform where, in my region, tutors can post their profiles and students are able to look through and find a tutor which suits their needs. However, every transaction or payment will go through my platform, to keep both parties safe, incurring a small fee that I receive.
Pros:
- Lots of work to set up but eventually should almost run itself
- Solves a real problem which I've struggled with myself - there's actually a gap in the market
Cons
- Crazy expensive and/or time consuming to setup (developing this kind of website/app)
- Would take quite a while to start gaining traction and would require a lot of advertising/SEO work
- A couple other websites out there doing something similar (but not very well)

4. Shopify Dropshipping (but with sneakers)

Same premise as normal dropshipping except with hyped sneakers. I'll list pairs that I can source for cheaper and take the profit between. I'm very good at making shopify websites, but not so much at advertising, so that would have to be something to learn.
Pros:
- already have experience with shopify
- good margins (at least $100 profit/pair)
Cons:
- very saturated and competitive, loads of stores either doing the same or without the dropshipping element
- really low barrier to entry (just have to know how to make a shopify website)
- Doesn't follow CENTS
- would have to run store under parents name since I'm under 18

Those are the 4 ideas I've thought of so far, personally leaning towards idea 1. Would appreciate some feedback on these, so I can just pick an idea and start taking action. I've failed with other ideas in the past so I'm sure whatever I pick it'll be a good learning lesson.

Thanks so much
I'm 15yr old so don't take this seriously but an opinion. I like the 3rd idea a lot. If you had this experience where you can't find any tutors and decided that you idea will help, go for it. I think this idea follows the CENTS in the long term. I think that selling a course and Ecom agency has low entry. The drop shipping I'm not sure. Would love to hear the real entrepreneur's opinion on it though.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Based on your willingness to take action, you seem most suited for 1. Alternative 3 is also good, but is higher risk. The other alternatives I would scratch if I were you.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Car detailing/cleaning. People seem to like giving this job to high school guys. There was a post about this by someone in another thread as well.
I remember when I was a trainee accountant at 18 and the 17 year old guy washing everyones car in the car park was making like 10 times more than me lol.

Screenshot_20221102-235708_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Car detailing/cleaning. People seem to like giving this job to high school guys. There was a post about this by someone in another thread as well.
I remember when I was a trainee accountant at 18 and the 17 year old guy washing everyones car in the car park was making like 10 times more than me lol.

View attachment 45776
So this will give him little experience into entrepreneurship and kinda make him more comfortable being responsible, kinda like a transition from high schooler to a real entrepreneur?

leonft

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
May 24, 2022
seems like a good idea, but I want something that I can do online

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.