The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts on competing against big box?

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
EDIT: "big box" is misnomer, I forgot to edit the title before posting. whoops. "supplier" is more appropriate.

I've researched a category dominated by one major supplier and the distant second place goes to a smaller niche supplier in that category.

However, I've found that this category doesn't supply print designs that I know would be a hit among their core audience (the thing is wearable).

I don't want to take them on. They'll crush me. I'd like to license them my designs, but if I show them the designs, I worry they'll just slightly tweak em and cut me out of the deal all together (at worst).

Why pay a designer a royalty, when you can use someone in house or just pay him a nominal fee up front at best?

1) Am I being too greedy?

2) Should I source and print my own product; sell online under my brand name for a while; take my product/business to the major supplier and license it to them?

Thanks all. This forum is my new favorite thing on the internet.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
From all the research and reading I've done in the past week:

Protect yourself, show the company, and if they say no, get their feedback, modify and/or move on to the next.

I do have a question, though: Are you design and then presenting a company with their own content?

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
From all the research and reading I've done in the past week:

Protect yourself, show the company, and if they say no, get their feedback, modify and/or move on to the next.

I do have a question, though: Are you design and then presenting a company with their own content?
Thanks for the response!

The company already makes the product; and they print a very specific style of art on it.

However, I have created different printable art I want them to license. This art is in a significantly different style/category that I am confident will sell.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.