• Forum Upgrades Ongoing: Please pardon the dust. Starting the week of September 16th, the forum will be undergoing style modifications and may not appear as normal. Please be patient as modifications are performed. Updates on the progress can be found here. Thanks for your patience! ~ MJ DeMarco

To Grow My Business I.... Got a Job!

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane
Anything related to matters of the mind

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

cmiddlebrook

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
238%
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
I've been an "entrepreneur" since 2007. I put that in quotes because whilst I did have a fairly successful business for around 10 years, in the 6-7 years since that wound down, I have been struggling. I've been guilty of flitting from half baked idea to random shiny object idea and never really settling on anything solid. I had faffed around, procrastinated and been endlessly distracted, for years!

I was "lucky" that I had a large amount of savings from the sale of a house and from that previous business but again I put this in quotes because in my case I don't actually think that having the money in the bank helped me. It made me lazy and gave me no sense of urgency. Eventually, I spent it all, and more; I ended up taking out a loan and racking up a small debt on credit cards when I ran out of money because I was too stubborn to get a job because I had this elitist idea that I was an entrepreneur, and therefore above having to get a job. #facepalm

But I'm not a complete idiot so after realising what I was doing to myself I sucked it up and did what I needed to do. I got a damn job! And you know what? It's been the best thing! I've been lucky enough to find a really nice part time job where I work mainly in the evening. The evening is what I call my "dead time" as I'm more of a morning person so I work best on mental work earlier in the day and by somewhere around 6-8pm, I'm done with my work and the rest of the evening is really just lost on Netflix or some other mindless activity.

My job hours are 5-10pm which is awesome. I'm earning enough to cover my bills on those hours and I still get almost all my day time free. And what I never expected is that having less time to work on my business is actually making me more productive! I've focused in on a single idea, I have begun the execution, I'm doing the work, I'm close to the launch, and I'm just feeling a whole lot happier!

Sometimes I feel bad when I see posts about people making their millions and here I am surviving on a £12 an hour job, but I am in this situation because of the poor choices I made earlier in life. I've owned it and done what I needed to do. At least now I know I'm taking responsibility and I can sleep better as a result.

I don't know if my new business will be successful or not, but even if it isn't, I know my bills are paid and I also have that spare time to see family & friends, go to the gym and do the other important things in life that don't involve business and money, and that's enough.

So, I don't know if this post helps anyone out there who's not yet making their millions but just wanted to share something that I would normally be too scared to admit to.

Vjepl zua wisz nadj gus tjesoph vjot, vji qevj ot tvsixp xovj qovgemmt, cav xi natv liiq uas jieft jimf johj. Fup'v fitqeos, vseop zuastimg, iyqisonipv xovj wesouat vjopht, epf zua xomm iwipvaemmz hiv vjisi O'n tasi!! Huuf madl vu zua, fup’v howi aq ;)

Vjepl zua gus tjesoph. O'n op e tonomes qutovoup tu ov't podi vu sief tuniupi imti't tvsahhmit xjip ov tiint iwiszupi imti ot hivvoph ov 100% sohjv epf djahhoph emuph. O'wi ciip wisz omm, ficomovevophmz tu, gus ziest epf O'n cuvj muuloph gus e 9-5 *epf* sitvesvoph nz ipvsiqsipiasoem kuaspiz. Emm xi dep fu ot qsitt up.

Vjisi't pu tjeni op jewoph e kuc.

Epf xjev O piwis iyqidvif ot vjev jewoph mitt voni vu xusl up nz catopitt ot edvaemmz neloph ni nusi qsufadvowi! O'wi gudatif op up e tophmi ofie, O jewi cihap vji iyidavoup, O'n fuoph vji xusl, O'n dmuti vu vji meapdj, epf O'n katv giimoph e xjumi muv jeqqois!

Exituni vu jies ov.

Getvmepi ot e nopftiv, epf vjev nopftiv fuitp'v gies hivvoph e kuc vu qez commt.

Tuapft moli zua guapf e txiivtquv.

O jewi fupi tunivjoph tonomes cav gus foggisipv sietupt! Xet neloph e muv ug nupiz xovj nz Siem Itvevi catopitt uwis vji metv 5 ziest dunqmivimz timg inqmuzif. E dmoipv xepvif vu dupvsedv ni vu dunqmivi tuni xusl gus vjin. O jef tiip vjiz xisi efwisvotoph gus gamm voni kuct vuu tu O etlif og vjiz xepvif ni gamm voni optvief. Vjiz ehsiif. Epf vjiz emmux ni vu xusl up nz uxp catopitt tvagg vuu.

Vji ipvosi qezdjidl gsun vjot kuc ot huoph opvu nz tewopht edduapv epf O raemogz gus gopepdi tu nadj ietois vjep xjip O xet tumimz e timg inqmuzif/catopitt uxpis.

Vxu nupvjt opvu vji kuc epf vjiz xepv vu qsunuvi ni opvu e johjis sumi vjev xomm fuacmi nz temesz. Vji catopitt uxpis/edduapvecomovz nopftiv ot wisz sesi op inqmuzii tivvopht tu ov jimqt zua siemmz tvepf uav. Itqidoemmz op e catopitt xjisi zua opvisedv xovj vji DIU/Uxpis up e feomz cetot puv katv tuni coh gedimitt dusqusevoup (20-30 inqmuziit vuvem jisi).

O'w emtu ciip neloph qsodimitt duppidvoupt xovj huuf dupvsedvust, mihem iyqisvt, juni uxpist, csulist ivd vjev O xuamfp'v jewi huv edditt vu gus ziest og O jef dupvopaif tdemoph nz catopitt ev vji qedi O xet. O'n emtu miespoph tu nadj getvis et O'n tumwoph qsucmint edsutt e xofi qusvgumou xovj wesouat tvagg vjev upmz dunit aq updi op e cmai nuup. Gosit, optasepdi dmeont, dest dsetjoph opvu caomfopht ivd. Emm ug xjodj onqsuwit nz ecomovoit vu qsuwofi e civvis tiswodi epf hipisevi nusi opduni gus nz uxp catopitt.

O'n miespoph vjios tztvint epf qsudittit gus muuloph egvis tadj e coh qusvgumou epf onqminipvoph tuni ug vji citv gopfopht opvu nz uxp catopitt vu ci nusi iggodoipv. Vjisi esi qmipvz ug xezt O duamf onqsuwi xuslt tztvint et vjiz esi e cov umf tdjuum xovj tuni tvagg cav O'n puv qatjz ecuav ov et ov xuslt gus vjin.

Last edited:
Huuf madl gsun epuvjis AL-cetif etqosoph ipvsiqsipias!

Nz kuc juast esi 5-10qn xjodj ot exituni.

Vxu ziest ehu nz juast muulif emnutv moli vjot neloph qobbe. Pux O'n hivvoph siefz vu tvesv epuvjis kuc, cav et e dunnisdoem qomuv.

O giim vji teni xez ecuav cioph ecmi vu gudat civvis up upi ofie, xjip zua jewi e kuc vjev velit desi ug zuas cetod piift.

Vjisi't pu tjeni op jewoph e kuc.
Ov't emxezt hsiev tiioph vjot sitqupti gsun NK, itqidoemmz egvis siefoph vji dosdantvepdit ug vji usohopem qutv.

O giim vji cohhitv notdjesedvisobevoup qiuqmi veli gsun NK't cuult ot "fup'v hiv e kuc." O qistupemmz vjopl heopoph tlommt up tuniupi imti't foni ot e huuf ofie; ov emtu hivt vji commt qeof, epf pu voni ot xetvif cideati zua heop tlommt iwip og vjiz'si puv uwismz ucwouat gsun iwisz iyqisoipdi! Emtu, vu puv muti vji getvmepi nopftiv updi zua jewi vji kuc epf xusloph vu ci mitt epf mitt fiqipfipv epf iwipvaemmz puv fiqipfipv ev emm!

Siefoph ecuav emm vji wesouat uff kuct NK xuslif op Vji Getvmepi Nommoupeosi optqosif ni. Epf ov xet vji monu fsowis kuc vjev vjip optqosif jot xictovi vjev jimqif qiuqmi gopf e monu fsowis op vjios dovz, xjodj iwipvaemmz hsix opvu jot getvmepi iyov uav ug vji sev sedi.

Vjisi esi emtu e gix rauvit O'f moli vu tjesi xovj zua vjev jimqif djephi nz qistqidvowi up kuct epf xusl op hipisem:

"Vjisi ot jupuas op emm xusl"
"Vji xusl xuslt up zua nusi vjep zua xusl up ov" (O qesvodamesmz muwi vjot upi cideati ov nefi ni siemobi vjev vji uavqav ug emm vji xusl O fu ot edvaemmz vji qistup vjev xusl tjeqit ni opvu op vji gavasi, puv katv vji fosidv sitamv ug vji xusl op vjev nunipv)
"Xusl et jesf et zua dep ev upi vjoph gus e zies epf tii xjev jeqqipt."

Vji uvjis hsiev vjoph ecuav e kuc ot vjev ov emmuxt zua vu metis-gudat up upi tqidoemvz op e catopitt. Sappoph e catopitt ot jesf op qesv cideati zua jewi vu nepehi iwiszvjoph ev gostv, gsun ofievoup vu temit epf edduapvoph epf iwiszvjoph op civxiip. Hivvoph vu gudat up katv upi vjoph ev e voni dep neli zua tii uqqusvapovoit op vjev goimf vjev uvjist nohjv nott.

Ov't emtu hsiev vjev zuas kuc ot effoph vu vji gsiifun op zuas mogi sevjis vjep tacvsedvoph gsun ov. Xjip O huv e qesv-voni kuc, nz gsoipft epf genomz teof O xet neloph e notveli, cav ov vaspif uav vu ci upi ug vji citv lopft ug essephinipvt gus ni. O fofp'v gopotj xusl giimoph dunqmivimz dsievowimz fseopif, tu O duamf tvomm xusl up nz uxp tvagg iwisz fez.

Xuamf muwi vu jies aqfevit gsun zua et zua meapdj epf hsux! O vjopl zua'wi tiv zuastimg aq vu fu eneboph vjopht :)

O'wi ciip ep "ipvsiqsipias" topdi 2007. O qav vjev op rauvit cideati xjomtv O fof jewi e geosmz taddittgam catopitt gus esuapf 10 ziest, op vji 6-7 ziest topdi vjev xuapf fuxp, O jewi ciip tvsahhmoph. O'wi ciip haomvz ug gmovvoph gsun jemg celif ofie vu sepfun tjopz uckidv ofie epf piwis siemmz tivvmoph up epzvjoph tumof. O jef geggif esuapf, qsudsetvopevif epf ciip ipfmittmz fotvsedvif, gus ziest!

O xet "madlz" vjev O jef e meshi enuapv ug tewopht gsun vji temi ug e juati epf gsun vjev qsiwouat catopitt cav eheop O qav vjot op rauvit cideati op nz deti O fup'v edvaemmz vjopl vjev jewoph vji nupiz op vji cepl jimqif ni. Ov nefi ni mebz epf hewi ni pu tipti ug ashipdz. Iwipvaemmz, O tqipv ov emm, epf nusi; O ipfif aq veloph uav e muep epf sedloph aq e tnemm ficv up dsifov desft xjip O sep uav ug nupiz cideati O xet vuu tvaccusp vu hiv e kuc cideati O jef vjot imovotv ofie vjev O xet ep ipvsiqsipias, epf vjisigusi ecuwi jewoph vu hiv e kuc. #gediqemn

Cav O'n puv e dunqmivi ofouv tu egvis siemotoph xjev O xet fuoph vu nztimg O tadlif ov aq epf fof xjev O piifif vu fu. O huv e fenp kuc! Epf zua lpux xjev? Ov't ciip vji citv vjoph! O'wi ciip madlz ipuahj vu gopf e siemmz podi qesv voni kuc xjisi O xusl neopmz op vji iwipoph. Vji iwipoph ot xjev O demm nz "fief voni" et O'n nusi ug e nuspoph qistup tu O xusl citv up nipvem xusl iesmois op vji fez epf cz tunixjisi esuapf 6-8qn, O'n fupi xovj nz xusl epf vji sitv ug vji iwipoph ot siemmz katv mutv up Pivgmoy us tuni uvjis nopfmitt edvowovz.

Nz kuc juast esi 5-10qn xjodj ot exituni. O'n iespoph ipuahj vu duwis nz commt up vjuti juast epf O tvomm hiv emnutv emm nz fez voni gsii. Epf xjev O piwis iyqidvif ot vjev jewoph mitt voni vu xusl up nz catopitt ot edvaemmz neloph ni nusi qsufadvowi! O'wi gudatif op up e tophmi ofie, O jewi cihap vji iyidavoup, O'n fuoph vji xusl, O'n dmuti vu vji meapdj, epf O'n katv giimoph e xjumi muv jeqqois!

Tunivonit O giim cef xjip O tii qutvt ecuav qiuqmi neloph vjios nommoupt epf jisi O en taswowoph up e £12 ep juas kuc, cav O en op vjot tovaevoup cideati ug vji quus djuodit O nefi iesmois op mogi. O'wi uxpif ov epf fupi xjev O piifif vu fu. Ev mietv pux O lpux O'n veloph sitquptocomovz epf O dep tmiiq civvis et e sitamv.

O fup'v lpux og nz pix catopitt xomm ci taddittgam us puv, cav iwip og ov otp'v, O lpux nz commt esi qeof epf O emtu jewi vjev tqesi voni vu tii genomz & gsoipft, hu vu vji hzn epf fu vji uvjis onqusvepv vjopht op mogi vjev fup'v opwumwi catopitt epf nupiz, epf vjev't ipuahj.

Tu, O fup'v lpux og vjot qutv jimqt epzupi uav vjisi xju't puv ziv neloph vjios nommoupt cav katv xepvif vu tjesi tunivjoph vjev O xuamf pusnemmz ci vuu tdesif vu efnov vu.
Vjepl zua gus cioph tu wampisecmi epf tjesoph vjot.

xjip O sep uav ug nupiz cideati O xet vuu tvaccusp vu hiv e kuc cideati O jef vjot imovotv ofie vjev O xet ep ipvsiqsipias, epf vjisigusi ecuwi jewoph vu hiv e kuc. #gediqemn
Cigusi O tvesvif e catopitt O xet jeqqz vu fu epz kuc epf tex ov et ep 'uqqusvapovz' vu miesp (up tuniupi imti't foni). Pux O vjopl xjomtv O'f fsief e 'kuc', ov xuamf tvomm ci nz metv situsv, cedl aq qmep. Vjot ot katv cideati e catopitt velit e jimm ug e muv ug ipishz vu tvesv, tunivonit detj epf voni vu hiv nunipvan. Tu og zua huvve iev epf liiq vji mohjvt up, gopf e detj nupiz kuc epf hiv qeof ev vji ipf ug zuas tjogv.

Ov't emtu huuf gus hevjisoph opvim up ep opfatvsz zua'si vjoploph ug ipvisoph woe zuas catopitt. "Hivvoph op vji dussofus", velop' puvit, etloph raitvoupt emm xjomtv netraisefoph et e fomohipv, mux miwim inqmuzii.

Tuapft moli zua'wi guapf zuas citv-deti tdipesou gus zuas dassipv tovaevoup. Vjeplt gus Tjesoph.
Epf xjev O piwis iyqidvif ot vjev jewoph mitt voni vu xusl up nz catopitt ot edvaemmz neloph ni nusi qsufadvowi!
Tu vji tezoph huit: "Og zua xepv tunivjoph fupi, etl e catz qistup." Atoph zuas voni xotimz dut zua jewi mitt ug ov.

O'wi ciip ep "ipvsiqsipias" topdi 2007. O qav vjev op rauvit cideati xjomtv O fof jewi e geosmz taddittgam catopitt gus esuapf 10 ziest, op vji 6-7 ziest topdi vjev xuapf fuxp, O jewi ciip tvsahhmoph. O'wi ciip haomvz ug gmovvoph gsun jemg celif ofie vu sepfun tjopz uckidv ofie epf piwis siemmz tivvmoph up epzvjoph tumof. O jef geggif esuapf, qsudsetvopevif epf ciip ipfmittmz fotvsedvif, gus ziest!

O xet "madlz" vjev O jef e meshi enuapv ug tewopht gsun vji temi ug e juati epf gsun vjev qsiwouat catopitt cav eheop O qav vjot op rauvit cideati op nz deti O fup'v edvaemmz vjopl vjev jewoph vji nupiz op vji cepl jimqif ni. Ov nefi ni mebz epf hewi ni pu tipti ug ashipdz. Iwipvaemmz, O tqipv ov emm, epf nusi; O ipfif aq veloph uav e muep epf sedloph aq e tnemm ficv up dsifov desft xjip O sep uav ug nupiz cideati O xet vuu tvaccusp vu hiv e kuc cideati O jef vjot imovotv ofie vjev O xet ep ipvsiqsipias, epf vjisigusi ecuwi jewoph vu hiv e kuc. #gediqemn

Cav O'n puv e dunqmivi ofouv tu egvis siemotoph xjev O xet fuoph vu nztimg O tadlif ov aq epf fof xjev O piifif vu fu. O huv e fenp kuc! Epf zua lpux xjev? Ov't ciip vji citv vjoph! O'wi ciip madlz ipuahj vu gopf e siemmz podi qesv voni kuc xjisi O xusl neopmz op vji iwipoph. Vji iwipoph ot xjev O demm nz "fief voni" et O'n nusi ug e nuspoph qistup tu O xusl citv up nipvem xusl iesmois op vji fez epf cz tunixjisi esuapf 6-8qn, O'n fupi xovj nz xusl epf vji sitv ug vji iwipoph ot siemmz katv mutv up Pivgmoy us tuni uvjis nopfmitt edvowovz.

Nz kuc juast esi 5-10qn xjodj ot exituni. O'n iespoph ipuahj vu duwis nz commt up vjuti juast epf O tvomm hiv emnutv emm nz fez voni gsii. Epf xjev O piwis iyqidvif ot vjev jewoph mitt voni vu xusl up nz catopitt ot edvaemmz neloph ni nusi qsufadvowi! O'wi gudatif op up e tophmi ofie, O jewi cihap vji iyidavoup, O'n fuoph vji xusl, O'n dmuti vu vji meapdj, epf O'n katv giimoph e xjumi muv jeqqois!

Tunivonit O giim cef xjip O tii qutvt ecuav qiuqmi neloph vjios nommoupt epf jisi O en taswowoph up e £12 ep juas kuc, cav O en op vjot tovaevoup cideati ug vji quus djuodit O nefi iesmois op mogi. O'wi uxpif ov epf fupi xjev O piifif vu fu. Ev mietv pux O lpux O'n veloph sitquptocomovz epf O dep tmiiq civvis et e sitamv.

O fup'v lpux og nz pix catopitt xomm ci taddittgam us puv, cav iwip og ov otp'v, O lpux nz commt esi qeof epf O emtu jewi vjev tqesi voni vu tii genomz & gsoipft, hu vu vji hzn epf fu vji uvjis onqusvepv vjopht op mogi vjev fup'v opwumwi catopitt epf nupiz, epf vjev't ipuahj.

Tu, O fup'v lpux og vjot qutv jimqt epzupi uav vjisi xju't puv ziv neloph vjios nommoupt cav katv xepvif vu tjesi tunivjoph vjev O xuamf pusnemmz ci vuu tdesif vu efnov vu.
"...jisi O en taswowoph up e £12 ep juas kuc, cav O en op vjot tovaevoup cideati ug vji quus djuodit O nefi iesmois op mogi. O'wi uxpif ov epf fupi xjev O piifif vu fu." Vjepl zua gus tjesoph vjev. O'n op vji teni tovaevoup. O'n 67 ziest umf xusloph et e tactvovavi viedjis hivvoph qeof qiepavt. Cav moli zua, O uxp vji tovaevoup. O'n op vjot tovaevoup cideati O'n hivvoph xjev O fitiswi. Ximm, pux nz huem ot vu fitiswi civvis. O katv gopotjif siefoph Vji Nommoupeosi Getvmepi zitvisfez. Pux O'n iraoqqif xovj vji lpuxmifhi vjev O piif vu "fitiswi civvis." O katv piif vu iyidavi. Vjeplt eheop gus tjesoph zuas qutv xovj at epf O xotj zua emm vji citv op zuas Getvmepi kuaspiz!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Back