The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Travelling/Backpacking before pursuing Unscripted journey?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Adrin510

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 26, 2023
France
Hi everyone,

I was wondering about the relevance of going abroad for a while (more or less 1 year) to work, broaden new horizons, expanding the mind, the general knowledge, discover new things, new people, and practice/improve a language.
I'm at a time when the whole world is urging me to go to work and fit into the mould of professional life. I'm well aware that a large proportion of us are going through this, while pursuing Unscription at the same time.
But I feel that I need this trip and that I'll regret not taking it later.

On the other hand, I feel that by doing this, I'm running away from the problems of everyday life, including the unscripted journey.

My first thought was that I could afford this kind of trip once the unscripted journey would go well, but this theory doesn't take into account the time factor and the fact that such an experience is probably best done when you're young.

To give you an idea of what I have in mind, it would be, for example, 4-5 months in an english-speaking country (I'm thinking of New Zealand, mainly to work, and maybe discover new industries) then 3-4 months in South America (mainly to discover Latin culture and become fluent in Spanish) before going back to normal life.
I've always wanted to travel to these countries and speak fluent english and spanish.

What are your thoughts on this? Does this seem relevant to you, or is it considered procrastination, a waste of time and a postponement of what really matters, i.e. real life daily problems and most important, the pursuit of an unscripted journey?

It would be great to have some advice/feedback from the forum.

Thanks for your attention !

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Why not do both? You can travel and still make progress on your bigger dreams.

Pedro Henrique

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 20, 2016
Brazil
I am going to Argentina in 4 days and spend at least one month there, but I will keep my routine (work and gym haha)

EliaR

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jan 5, 2024
Hi everyone,

I was wondering about the relevance of going abroad for a while (more or less 1 year) to work, broaden new horizons, expanding the mind, the general knowledge, discover new things, new people, and practice/improve a language.
I'm at a time when the whole world is urging me to go to work and fit into the mould of professional life. I'm well aware that a large proportion of us are going through this, while pursuing Unscription at the same time.
But I feel that I need this trip and that I'll regret not taking it later.

On the other hand, I feel that by doing this, I'm running away from the problems of everyday life, including the unscripted journey.

My first thought was that I could afford this kind of trip once the unscripted journey would go well, but this theory doesn't take into account the time factor and the fact that such an experience is probably best done when you're young.

To give you an idea of what I have in mind, it would be, for example, 4-5 months in an english-speaking country (I'm thinking of New Zealand, mainly to work, and maybe discover new industries) then 3-4 months in South America (mainly to discover Latin culture and become fluent in Spanish) before going back to normal life.
I've always wanted to travel to these countries and speak fluent english and spanish.

What are your thoughts on this? Does this seem relevant to you, or is it considered procrastination, a waste of time and a postponement of what really matters, i.e. real life daily problems and most important, the pursuit of an unscripted journey?

It would be great to have some advice/feedback from the forum.

Thanks for your attention !
I don't think it's going to help you on your unscripted journey in any way.
That doesn't mean it's not worth doing though, there's more to life than making money and building businesses. And it sounds like you really want to do it.
It's your call.

Adrin510

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 26, 2023
France
Thanks for the reply MJ !

It would be the best of both worlds for sure, but more complicated in practice.
When traveling, it would be more of an unstable lifestyle, depending on the number of missions, the amount of time spent working and the possibility of changing cities as the trip progresses.
Even if the Internet makes it possible, it's the instability of the project that complicates things.

Maybe making the trip more stable could be an option?

I am going to Argentina in 4 days and spend at least one month there, but I will keep my routine (work and gym haha)
That's good to know ! What are you going to do over there ? Do you speak Spanish ?
Obviously if you have the framework and stability to do everything, it's possible to still make progress in your work and your sport.

I don't think it's going to help you on your unscripted journey in any way.
That doesn't mean it's not worth doing though, there's more to life than making money and building businesses. And it sounds like you really want to do it.
It's your call.
Thanks for your opinion, I think the same thing.
It would be a great experience with some memories on a personal level and could open doors that would be unthinkable in everyday's life, but from an unscripted journey point of view it seems complicated to make big progress... The point is, working in my country or elsewhere is the same for me.
But sure stability is a key point when it comes to make progress on unscripted goal after job time

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Post where you are. There are Fastlaners all over the world. Crash with them and help them do whatever they are doing!

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
That's what I did for two summers in 2021 and 2022. I had some of my best ideas and breakthroughs by doing it this way.

I just stayed in the USA but was living out of my tiny car and hostels, often in remote areas.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
Why not both? Travel and build an online business at the same time. While success has been slow, I've made my money online and traveled to about 30 countries in the past 3-4 years.

It's tricky, you want to explore and it's difficult to establish routines, but many people are doing it, so why can't you?

Adrin510

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 26, 2023
France
Post where you are. There are Fastlaners all over the world. Crash with them and help them do whatever they are doing!
Seems like a great advice, thanks Sir! I hadn't thought about the possible contribution of the community in a context like this one.

That's what I did for two summers in 2021 and 2022. I had some of my best ideas and breakthroughs by doing it this way.

I just stayed in the USA but was living out of my tiny car and hostels, often in remote areas.
Thanks for the feedback! I also read your progress thread, which is very inspiring. Hope your health gets better!

I like the "minimalist" lifestyle you speak of.
Did you chose to work and travel at the same time to explore the country/ use your car? or for some other reasons?
Did you build something from scratch during this period? Or did you already have a running business before living this way?

Why not both? Travel and build an online business at the same time. While success has been slow, I've made my money online and traveled to about 30 countries in the past 3-4 years.

It's tricky, you want to explore and it's difficult to establish routines, but many people are doing it, so why can't you?
An amazing and inspiring achievement! Thanks for your response.
You've said it all, the main obstacle is the stability point (establishing a routine/taking the time to build something), but all these answers are sobering and show me that it's possible to do both.

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Thanks for the feedback! I also read your progress thread, which is very inspiring. Hope your health gets better!

I like the "minimalist" lifestyle you speak of.
Did you chose to work and travel at the same time to explore the country/ use your car? or for some other reasons?
Did you build something from scratch during this period? Or did you already have a running business before living this way?
Yes, I just wanted to travel and work digitally so that's what I need.

I already had an online business going but it was small.

Pedro Henrique

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 20, 2016
Brazil
Thanks for the reply MJ !

It would be the best of both worlds for sure, but more complicated in practice.
When traveling, it would be more of an unstable lifestyle, depending on the number of missions, the amount of time spent working and the possibility of changing cities as the trip progresses.
Even if the Internet makes it possible, it's the instability of the project that complicates things.

Maybe making the trip more stable could be an option?

That's good to know ! What are you going to do over there ? Do you speak Spanish ?
Obviously if you have the framework and stability to do everything, it's possible to still make progress in your work and your sport.

Thanks for your opinion, I think the same thing.
It would be a great experience with some memories on a personal level and could open doors that would be unthinkable in everyday's life, but from an unscripted journey point of view it seems complicated to make big progress... The point is, working in my country or elsewhere is the same for me.
But sure stability is a key point when it comes to make progress on unscripted goal after job time
I will be meeting some friends (digital nomads) and hope to have a good time there, their currency is cheaper than mine (Reais), so I rent a good apartment. I have been working and studying hard for the last 4 years to become a good software engineer, now I want to enjoy life a little.

I dont speak spanish, but I speak Portuguese, it is very similiar to spanish, I should learn spanish very fast.

Yeah, I am software engineer and work remotely.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.