The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unhappy Landlord Story (relative took full advantage)

speed-racer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 6, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Hello.

I saw this story on one of the judge shows a couple of months ago and I haven't been able to get it out of my head. Here goes...

One sister (lets refer to her as sister#1) was so called 'trying to get her life back on track' after using drugs, hanging in the streets, etc. so she asked her sister (let's refer to her as sister#2) if she could come and stay with her for some time period (I don't remember exactly but like a month or two) and she was going to find a job. She agreed that she was going to pay her sister $200/month as soon as she could. So sister#2 wanted to give her sister the opportunity to turn her life around so she reluctantly agreed.

Well, as most know where this was going: sister#1 was there 3 months and didn't have a job nor did she pay the agreed-upon $200/month plus she was not behaving as she should so sister#2 gave her a week to move out. So, sister#1 left.

In an attempt for sister#2 to try to get her money, she sued her sister for 3 months back rent which amounted to $600. It looked like she was going to win the case at first, but then, near the end of the segment, the case took a turn.

In her state, because the sisters had made a 'rental' agreement although verbal, it was legally binding. Even though no money exchanged hands, sister#1 was legally covered by tenant laws. So not only did sister#2 not get her $600, she had to pay sister#1 triple damages ($1800) because she was mandated by law to give her sister 30 days to vacate the premises, so therefore sister#2 broke tenant laws.

Go figure!

What do you think about those apples? Do you think that was fair to sister#2 who tried to do the right thing by her sister and then had to end up paying sister#1?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Law is law.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

But seriously, if you're gonna sue your own blood, better make sure it won't come back and bite you.

Like it did here.

-Russ H.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Don't do business with relatives. Never loan them money.:cheers:

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Reminds me of the card in the Cashflow game about your sister-in-law being downsized and she needs $5,000 to make house payments; she PROMISES to pay you back $10,000 after she finds a new job.

...You never get that money back, in the game or in this case, life.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Be careful watching those TV judge shows ... A Stanford University study found that for every 6 hours of Judge Judy that is watched, your IQ should decline by 2 points.:smug2:

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Be careful watching those TV judge shows ... A Stanford University study found that for every 6 hours of Judge Judy that is watched, your IQ should decline by 2 points.:smug2:

Be careful with this advice MJ....I read that 52% of all statistics are made up!:smilielol:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.