The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Do You Optimize For?

Anything related to matters of the mind

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
I recently spent some time in Warsaw, the capital of Poland. As the biggest Polish city, it has the most money and the richest inhabitants but also the highest population density and the worst traffic jams.

The perspective of making a fortune draws ambitious people in, the big city living drives the burned-out away.

On a Monday morning, with forecasted summer-like weather (rare for the beginning of April), I set an alarm clock to wake up early and drive with my girlfriend 2.5 hours to a national park we’ve never been to.

As we left our apartment, we ended up right away in a big traffic jam, and then another. The drivers weren’t particularly courteous. Everyone was fighting to cut a minute or two off their commute.

It took us over 30 minutes to get out of the city when it would normally take 5 minutes. Then we finally left the city limits and saw a monstrous traffic jam in the opposite direction. Thousands of cars were stuck there, each driver forced to wait up to an hour just to get into Warsaw and end up in another traffic jam in the city itself.

As I watched the cars, a sense of gratitude washed over me. I woke up early not to be stuck in that traffic jam on the way to work but to drive to a national park on a random Monday, on a rare for April day with perfect weather.

2.5 hours later we arrived in the national park. On our first trail of the day we passed only one couple. My girlfriend later told me that it was a famous Polish stand-up comedian and his girlfriend (I don’t know anything about Polish celebrities). This would explain why they could afford to be there on that random Monday morning, too. They were Fastlaners as well.

Other than that, we had the entire place to ourselves:

1.jpg2.jpg
3.jpg4.jpg

It was one of the best days of this year for me. I couldn’t stop being grateful, if not giddy, that there I was, enjoying warm sun, blooming flowers, and sounds of nature on a day where in an alternate reality I’d be stuck in that traffic jam, hating my life, missing out on that perfect weather.

It made me realize that the primary reason I get to enjoy this specific reality is one thing in particular: I always optimize everything for time.

Seeking time freedom is what initially attracted me to pursue entrepreneurship. This is also why the concept of hitting the Fastlane is so magical for me. Once you hit it, you can have all the time in the world. I’m not so much interested in entrepreneurship as I am in having free time and location freedom. Entrepreneurship is just a tool.

If getting extra money means not having time, then I’d rather have time than money. I see no point in being wealthy if you don’t have time (or health, for which you also need time) to enjoy it.

For me, nothing beats the enjoyment of having an empty calendar and spontaneously filling it the way I want. This is why I’m extremely picky with businesses I choose and why I settled on solopreneurship (I’m aware that you may get to enjoy the same if you’re good at delegation).

James Clear once tweeted:

1713553155204.png

1713553160605.png

Granted, not everyone wants to optimize for time. There are people who prefer money over time, status over time, purpose over time, or another thing entirely. There’s nothing wrong with that as long as you’re pursuing exactly what you want more of in your life. I'm pretty sure that some of the people in that traffic jam were ecstatic to go to work and fill their day with meaningful work.

I’m not saying that my way is the only way. People have different priorities at different stages of life. If I were broke, I’d most likely optimize less for time and more for money.

Yet, it’s important to be clear about your priorities.

If you want more free time, then commit to having more time even if it means losing some money. Perhaps you won’t ever hit that status badge of an 8-figure company but in return, you’ll get more time with your spouse, kids, or time to explore your own passions.

If you want more money, accept that you’ll most likely lose some of that free time. Be clear how much time you’re willing to invest and when it’ll be too much. Of course, exceptions do exist; delegation is one of them. I'm not saying that it's all black and white and that more money always equals less time. But some levels of wealth are reserved for those who can dedicate most of their waking hours to their businesses.

Just be aware there’s a big trap for those who have already hit the Fastlane. James Clear recently tweeted the following:

1713553144418.png

Again, if wealth is your priority, whether you’re only getting started or have been growing your empire for many years already, then that’s completely fine.

But if you’re pursuing the Fastlane to enjoy your lifestyle, I’d suggest taking a day off, driving past the traffic jams and heading to the nearest national park (or any other nice place) to enjoy one of the very few days we were given on this Earth.

For an average person, consistently prioritizing money over time is not only a bad trade. It’s a horrible one that you’ll regret on your deathbed. You can always make more money when needed but you can never make more time when you most desire it. As Felix Dennis once put it:

Ask me what I will give you if you could wave a magic wand and give me my youth back. The answer would be everything I own and everything I will ever own.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I optimize for happiness.

Health makes me happy.
Fitness makes me happy.
Learning new things makes me happy.
A great relationship with my wife makes me happy.
My wife's happiness makes me happy.
My wife's health makes me happy.
My wife's freedom to pursue hobbies and knowledge makes me happy.
Freedom makes me happy.
Making a difference makes me happy.
Having abundant choices, free from fiscal constraint, makes me happy.
Waking up when I feel restored—not by force—makes me happy.

I make decisions according to these values. And the things that threaten these values are targeted for fix.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
I like to think about optimizing for health - which I believe is another way of optimizing for time.

The way I think about life is that the only real currency any of us ever have is our health - without which it's difficult to think anything else can be meaningful.

The days of pulling all-nighters are long gone for me. I could care less about achieving a goal ASAP. I would rather achieve a goal in so far as it enables me to continue to enjoy my prosperous health.

At the end of each day, I sleep like a baby and wake up the next day excited for life.

So long as I can maximize my metabolic health, I can continue to play this game we call life to the best of my abilities.

Anything that contributes to a degradation of my or my family's health is eliminated.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
I optimize for happiness.

Health makes me happy.
Fitness makes me happy.
Learning new things makes me happy.
A great relationship with my wife makes me happy.
My wife's happiness makes me happy.
My wife's health makes me happy.
My wife's freedom to pursue hobbies and knowledge makes me happy.
Freedom makes me happy.
Making a difference makes me happy.
Having abundant choices, free from fiscal constraint, makes me happy.
Waking up when I feel restored—not by force—makes me happy.

I make decisions according to these values. And the things that threaten these values are targeted for fix.

I agree with all of that. By optimizing for time I also optimize for health. At least for me, I can't have good health if I don't have a lot of free time.

I like to think about optimizing for health - which I believe is another way of optimizing for time.

The way I think about life is that the only real currency any of us ever have is our health - without which it's difficult to think anything else can be meaningful.

The days of pulling all-nighters are long gone for me. I could care less about achieving a goal ASAP. I would rather achieve a goal in so far as it enables me to continue to enjoy my prosperous health.

At the end of each day, I sleep like a baby and wake up the next day excited for life.

So long as I can maximize my metabolic health, I can continue to play this game we call life to the best of my abilities.

Anything that contributes to a degradation of my or my family's health is eliminated.

I agree with that. For me time also equals health because with time, you have time to manage your stress, eat well, exercise, etc. Without time freedom you wouldn't have sufficient time to take care of your health.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Great thread. I often go for a walk in the park, when most are commuting to or from work. I can stroll leasuirely and observe my surroundings. I observe people too, and they are not exactly 'present' or 'in the moment'. In large cities this is extremely apparent. It's not a natural social environment.

I try to optimize for...
1. FAITH - (following moral principles I believe in)
2. FAMILY - (harmony, love and a good future)
3. HEALTH - (important, yet our mortal bodies are limited + there are diminishing returns to being a health nut)
4. WEALTH - (through the fastlane only, following CENTS, leverage through: capital, media, code, IP, employees)

TIME is not on that list... WATCHING TV is not on that list...
Everyone has 24 hours per day. Question is HOW WE SPEND IT.
When I follow my list of priorities, I feel some inner peace and satisfaction. Maybe this is what I'm optimizing for really?

How am I doing so far? VERDICT: Well, 23 (!) hours per day I have no lapses in moral judgment, I feel gratitude, spend hours with my family including my old parents, exercise daily, eat an OK diet, don't do cigarettes or booze. I work daily on my wealth. Complete control of my time. Lots of energy. Enough money so I never need to work again. Useful, as developing and operating a business is just an endless array of problems to solve.

Thankful that wealth is no longer higher up on my priority list. It used to be above health. Now I know my limit. In my early twenties I did almost nothing except work on my business. I was relentless.

I know my exact net worth. Been tracking it for years. What we measure and track tends to improve. How could I measure and optimize my devotion to god or family though? Not everything is supposed to be measured. Some values are absolute.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Great thread. I often go for a walk in the park, when most are commuting to or from work. I can stroll leasuirely and observe my surroundings. I observe people too, and they are not exactly 'present' or 'in the moment'. In large cities this is extremely apparent. It's not a natural social environment.

I try to optimize for...
1. FAITH - (following moral principles I believe in)
2. FAMILY - (harmony, love and a good future)
3. HEALTH - (important, yet our mortal bodies are limited + there are diminishing returns to being a health nut)
4. WEALTH - (through the fastlane only, following CENTS, leverage through: capital, media, code, IP, employees)

TIME is not on that list... WATCHING TV is not on that list...
Everyone has 24 hours per day. Question is HOW WE SPEND IT.
When I follow my list of priorities, I feel some inner peace and satisfaction. Maybe this is what I'm optimizing for really?

How am I doing so far? VERDICT: Well, 23 (!) hours per day I have no lapses in moral judgment, I feel gratitude, spend hours with my family including my old parents, exercise daily, eat an OK diet, don't do cigarettes or booze. I work daily on my wealth. Complete control of my time. Lots of energy. Enough money so I never need to work again. Useful, as developing and operating a business is just an endless array of problems to solve.

Thankful that wealth is no longer higher up on my priority list. It used to be above health. Now I know my limit. In my early twenties I did almost nothing except work on my business. I was relentless.

I know my exact net worth. Been tracking it for years. What we measure and track tends to improve. How could I measure and optimize my devotion to god or family though? Not everything is supposed to be measured. Some values are absolute.

You seem to have very clear values and your lifestyle definitely reflects them well. Thank you for sharing.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I recently spent some time in Warsaw, the capital of Poland. As the biggest Polish city, it has the most money and the richest inhabitants but also the highest population density and the worst traffic jams.

The perspective of making a fortune draws ambitious people in, the big city living drives the burned-out away.

On a Monday morning, with forecasted summer-like weather (rare for the beginning of April), I set an alarm clock to wake up early and drive with my girlfriend 2.5 hours to a national park we’ve never been to.

As we left our apartment, we ended up right away in a big traffic jam, and then another. The drivers weren’t particularly courteous. Everyone was fighting to cut a minute or two off their commute.

It took us over 30 minutes to get out of the city when it would normally take 5 minutes. Then we finally left the city limits and saw a monstrous traffic jam in the opposite direction. Thousands of cars were stuck there, each driver forced to wait up to an hour just to get into Warsaw and end up in another traffic jam in the city itself.

As I watched the cars, a sense of gratitude washed over me. I woke up early not to be stuck in that traffic jam on the way to work but to drive to a national park on a random Monday, on a rare for April day with perfect weather.

2.5 hours later we arrived in the national park. On our first trail of the day we passed only one couple. My girlfriend later told me that it was a famous Polish stand-up comedian and his girlfriend (I don’t know anything about Polish celebrities). This would explain why they could afford to be there on that random Monday morning, too. They were Fastlaners as well.

Other than that, we had the entire place to ourselves:

View attachment 55458View attachment 55459
View attachment 55460View attachment 55461

It was one of the best days of this year for me. I couldn’t stop being grateful, if not giddy, that there I was, enjoying warm sun, blooming flowers, and sounds of nature on a day where in an alternate reality I’d be stuck in that traffic jam, hating my life, missing out on that perfect weather.

It made me realize that the primary reason I get to enjoy this specific reality is one thing in particular: I always optimize everything for time.

Seeking time freedom is what initially attracted me to pursue entrepreneurship. This is also why the concept of hitting the Fastlane is so magical for me. Once you hit it, you can have all the time in the world. I’m not so much interested in entrepreneurship as I am in having free time and location freedom. Entrepreneurship is just a tool.

If getting extra money means not having time, then I’d rather have time than money. I see no point in being wealthy if you don’t have time (or health, for which you also need time) to enjoy it.

For me, nothing beats the enjoyment of having an empty calendar and spontaneously filling it the way I want. This is why I’m extremely picky with businesses I choose and why I settled on solopreneurship (I’m aware that you may get to enjoy the same if you’re good at delegation).

James Clear once tweeted:

View attachment 55456

View attachment 55457

Granted, not everyone wants to optimize for time. There are people who prefer money over time, status over time, purpose over time, or another thing entirely. There’s nothing wrong with that as long as you’re pursuing exactly what you want more of in your life. I'm pretty sure that some of the people in that traffic jam were ecstatic to go to work and fill their day with meaningful work.

I’m not saying that my way is the only way. People have different priorities at different stages of life. If I were broke, I’d most likely optimize less for time and more for money.

Yet, it’s important to be clear about your priorities.

If you want more free time, then commit to having more time even if it means losing some money. Perhaps you won’t ever hit that status badge of an 8-figure company but in return, you’ll get more time with your spouse, kids, or time to explore your own passions.

If you want more money, accept that you’ll most likely lose some of that free time. Be clear how much time you’re willing to invest and when it’ll be too much. Of course, exceptions do exist; delegation is one of them. I'm not saying that it's all black and white and that more money always equals less time. But some levels of wealth are reserved for those who can dedicate most of their waking hours to their businesses.

Just be aware there’s a big trap for those who have already hit the Fastlane. James Clear recently tweeted the following:

View attachment 55455

Again, if wealth is your priority, whether you’re only getting started or have been growing your empire for many years already, then that’s completely fine.

But if you’re pursuing the Fastlane to enjoy your lifestyle, I’d suggest taking a day off, driving past the traffic jams and heading to the nearest national park (or any other nice place) to enjoy one of the very few days we were given on this Earth.

For an average person, consistently prioritizing money over time is not only a bad trade. It’s a horrible one that you’ll regret on your deathbed. You can always make more money when needed but you can never make more time when you most desire it. As Felix Dennis once put it:
I optimize for “risk adjusted return” in life, for a lack of better word to describe it.

Most things in life, especially in business carried various form of uncertainties. We all make decisions daily, big or small, based on how we process our own knowledge and information, and our perceived consequences of our actions.

Have adequate sleep, nutrition and exercise are the easiest low-lying fruit that I see. Small commitment, high reward, high certainty.

If someone chases money at the expense of health, because it takes time to build wealth, the best case scenario is enriching your future doctors and hospitals. That’s the best case.

The trade-off between time and money is not so clear cut in business, unless you are in a labor intensive trade such as teaching classes. It depends whether you are in the “experimentation phase” where you are still not too sure of your exact target customer group, the product offering and growth strategy, or the “pouring kerosine on fire stages” when everything is super clear and all you need is to burn your time and money for the next 2-3 years.

I think you should be diligent but not exhaust yourself, traveling at 80 percent of your maximum potential at the experimentation phase because if you exhaust yourself too much in the years of experimentation phase you already burn out yourself when it is time to accelerate.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023
I optimize on Time.

I spend quality time with my kids, min 4hrs daily.

I optimize 'creating' time daily!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.