The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What happens to "$$ for Clunkers" cars?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Thre is a clause in there about the parts, i think the main powertrain has to be inoperable, they pour something in it. but i think the rest of the parts are up for grabs and the thing gets crushed

jokerGN

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 1, 2008
Long Island, NY
The other interesting part about the bill is when it was first drafted it stated that the vehicles the rebates were used on had to be produced (or atleast the majority of the production) in the United States to help drum up work and jobs. Some where that part got lost in translation because in my area I see the Kia and Hyundai dealerships doing a lot of clunker business.
Also this is driving up auction prices on what used to be affordable second cars. Just this past week a '00 Ford Expedition w/ 80+k miles went for $7k. This will definately create opportunities to make money but at other peoples expense. I see the scrap industry doing very good for the next few months off the program though.
Sorry about the rant.

-Mike

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Travis_G_Dunlop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Apr 9, 2009
i work at a Honda dealership now while i'm in school and all the cars are drained of oil and then they pour a substance called liquid glass and it locks up the motor so that it is unrepairable. From there they are kept in a lot until a tow truck comes and takes the cars to a junk yard and i believe the junkyards give the dealer like 200-300 dollars but thats all i know of it..... and by law they must seize the engine

Adam_C

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 2, 2008
uk
Same thing happens here, the cars go to the junk yard and thats it. No way to get the car or the parts.

I85

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 22, 2008
Iowa
Tons of cars here will be being sold at auction, so I would assume it is the same elsewhere.
sample inventory page:
Sale Listing

I'm interested to see what my friend says today junkers sold for. From what I understand, the cars cannot be registered again, which is why it says "junk" title for them instead of "salvage". The cars can be parted out, but must be disposed of(crushed) within 6 months. That's what I've been told at least.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.