The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is your personality? Find it out with a quick test!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@SinisterLex did you ever expand on this anywhere? I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the subject.

I've done this a couple of times now and have come out as INTP, which seems to fit pretty well.

I went deeper into Entrepreneur & Consumer personalities in the INSIDERS's area. It's an unfinished series of posts, but a LOT of info contained in the posts in the thread already. I still have to get back to it when I find time.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Good to see the sidewalk is alive and well.

Being able to express how my mind works and sharing this with my wife, who is the complete opposite of me, has helped her understand me better. She now supports me in my business ventures more and more. I can talk to her all I want, but having something to show her that wasn't written or created by me is very different.

2017 is the year I leave my cushy 6-figure job and never look back. Try getting someone on board with that who, from a small child, had it drilled into her head that what you do for work and who you marry sets your status in life. You think NA culture is bad for that? Look a little further south and they have "status through career" slammed into their head more than you ever thought possible.

Getting your partner in life further on board with something that is against her nature, to me, is the complete opposite of the slow-lane. Try looking at something from a different angle and not just your little box.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
results won't change much in weeks, just for some points, i take it once a month and the results are consistent

I don't think these tests are 100% garbage. Every idea is at least a little bit true. So after your comment, I took the test.

The result I got seemed startlingly accurate, especially when it had such specific assertions about me. But some stuff was wrong. So I tried to find the personality type that seemed opposite mine and surprisingly, it not only seemed accurate, but it had very similar assertions.

I can think of multiple ways you could test the accuracy of this sort of thing, but what really matters is that it's not actionable information. It's just feel-good-ish and self-indulgent. The fact that you're an ENFJ or INTP is knowledge that Chip and Dan Heath call TBU--true, but useless. It's not bad, or stupid, or ignorant to worry about this kinda stuff.

But it is pointless.

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
ISFP here
Donald Trump was ISFP too yaay.
Although it's a pretty accurate test there are some differences between me and ISFPs.

Davo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 9, 2014
Australia
ENFP.

Thanks for posting this.

My weaknesses are pretty much on point, explains why I haven't been able to execute my ideas yet and why I'm not the biggest fan of my day job even though I actually do well at work.

ENFP WEAKNESSES
  • Poor Practical Skills - When it comes to conceiving ideas and starting projects, especially involving other people, ENFPs have exceptional talent. Unfortunately their skill with upkeep, administration, and follow-through on those projects struggles. Without more hands-on people to help push day-to-day things along, ENFPs' ideas are likely to remain just that - ideas. (Anyone want to be the hands-on person?)
  • Find it Difficult to Focus - ENFPs are natural explorers of interpersonal connections and philosophy, but this backfires when what needs to be done is that TPS report sitting right in front of them. It's hard for ENFPs to maintain interest as tasks drift towards routine, administrative matters, and away from broader concepts.
  • Overthink Things - ENFPs don't take things at face value - they look for underlying motives in even the simplest things. It's not uncommon for ENFPs to lose a bit of sleep asking themselves why someone did what they did, what it might mean, and what to do about it.
  • Get Stressed Easily - All this overthinking isn't just for their own benefit - ENFPs, especially Turbulent ones, are very sensitive, and care deeply about others' feelings. A consequence of their popularity is that others often look to them for guidance and help, which takes time, and it's easy to see why ENFPs sometimes get overwhelmed, especially when they can't say yes to every request.
  • Highly Emotional - While emotional expression is healthy and natural, with ENFPs even viewing it as a core part of their identity, it can come out strongly enough to cause problems for this personality type. Particularly when under stress, criticism or conflict, ENFPs can experience emotional bursts that are counter-productive at best.
  • Independent to a Fault - ENFPs loathe being micromanaged and restrained by heavy-handed rules - they want to be seen as highly independent masters of their own fates, even possessors of an altruistic wisdom that goes beyond draconian law. The challenge for ENFPs is that they live in a world of checks and balances, a pill they are not happy to swallow.

Time to work on my weaknesses and make use of my strengths :cool:

Feek

Serial Entreprefailer
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Oct 15, 2014
Boston
Thanks FEEK!
Do you have a link???
http://www.alienvir.us/braverman/

You should use your own intuition when meeting people and sizing-up their character.
QFT. I'm a very quick and pretty accurate judge of character when I meet someone in person, so maybe that's why I never really put much stock in the MBTI. It's not like you can meet someone and 5 seconds after starting to talk to them say "Wait! I need you to take this test before we go on so I know how to interact with you."

In relation to this forum, I think it's extremely important to have the skill of being able to read people in business situations. I find it helpful to know very quickly where someone else is coming from so I can judge what level of power to give them.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Interesting that many of the people here who are doing the test are Introvert variants. You'd think the Fastlane philosophy would appeal mostly to extroverts.

Consider also that we're people apparently who tend to enjoy asynchronous, online communication. Hardcore extroverts probably enjoy forums about as much as I enjoy nightclubs. :)

Really, I think introversion/extroversion might be the least predictive indicator of potential "fastlaneness", though surely, how you choose to build your business might change dramatically based on your level of introversion/extroversion. However, stuff like wanting to wanting to create, build, optimize, bring value to others, while being somewhat riskseeking and nonconformist seem like they could be pretty good entrepreneurial predictors (even though most people with these traits will still try to leverage them from within someone else's company).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The most interesting test I took was Perry Marshall's marketing DNA one: www.marketingdnatest.com

It summed me up, and made me realise I'd spent most of my working life doing the complete opposite of what suits my personality and strengths.

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
You guys know this stuff is a crock, right? Invented by a couple of housewives with no training in psychology. Shame is, many companies use this hooey to decide who gets hired or promoted.

Cheers,
O-2

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Also an INTJ.

It'd be interesting if there was data correlating partner personality types and marriage success rates. Until then, assuming someone would be a good fit because they're an ESFP seems like an arbitrary conclusion. I like people like myself, so would guess that I'd prefer someone with a closer personality. But in practice, I think we should evaluate everyone on a case by case basis.

Rationals people are very rare indeed , so to find this kind of good fit may be a real challenge for INTJ's.

And by the way, i don't want another mastermind at home.

To quote Dan Ariely , we think we are rationals but we are not. We are Predictably Irrationals.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0061353248/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

The first thing i learned in marketing is this : " people are emotionals creatures, don't talk to them with logic. "

So i stopped trying to make sense of "people 's logic" and i try to adapt my thinking to human psychology.

Last edited:

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
Take this test about once a year. Get either INTP or INTF, most recent one being INTF.

These tests are not completely accurate indeed and there is no one psychological test that can describe who you are exactly, and what you will like and what not. But they do help make sense of yourself. And rather than seeing them as limiting because you are supposedly putting yourself in a box, it lets you be more comfortable with yourself, makes you think about your strengths and weaknesses. And thus, even if test itself is of questionable accuracy, it still can be a valuable tool :)

Intf doesnt exist. You mean intj
Its considered the smartest type.

Im an ENTP, the innovator/entrepreneur
Im all over the place but come up with sick crazy new strats. Mark Cuban is an ENTP too.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
Found something quite interesting here:
Why INFPs, INTPs, INFJs, & INTJs Struggle to Act
Why INFPs, INTPs, INFJs, & INTJs Struggle to Act | Personality Junkie

Concretely, for INTJ & INFJ, it says:

INJs’ inferior function, Extraverted Sensing (Se), is arguably the most “worldly” and action-oriented of all the functions. Ni, in contrast, is the most “otherworldly,” idealistic, and abstract. Hence, INJs’ difficulty with regard to action is best understood in terms of their struggle to reconcile these opposing functions.

Their Ni provides INJs with ideals, that is, with solutions or answers to improve the outside world. They often find their visions incredibly beautiful and compelling, finding it difficult to accept anything less than the seemingly perfect solution proffered by their Ni. To actualize this ideal, INJs must find a way to transform it into a tangible reality (Se). Unfortunately, because life is messy and does not readily conform to such idealistic efforts, INJs quickly learn that their visions are almost always tarnished in the process of actualization. Once the ideal has been tainted, it is easy for INJs (especially INFJs) to become despondent and lose all interest.

And it finishes saying that you can either become an machine of ideas, or shallow your perfectionism when building those ideas if you want to finish them.

In particular, this sentence "Once the ideal has been tainted, it is easy for INJs (especially INFJs) to become despondent and lose all interest." explains why I got excited so many times defining an idea but had a hard time to make it real once I found out how it would look like. It also explains my inclination towards writing software tools instead of building projects with them, or why I have laser-focus when solving the big problems at the start of a project but can't focus and get bored when implementing features that are repetitive.

Good to know the reasons, maybe now I can fight the problems better.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
INJs’ difficulty with regard to action is best understood in terms of their struggle to reconcile these opposing functions.
Great post!

Being INTJ, I've found that problem long ago and have a semi-working solution for that.

The first thing is to limit the Ni. Plan everything and every outcomes only 4-5 steps ahead maximum. It's hard cause we like to overthink everything with every possible outcome, find every problem in every detail for each scenario and etc. But after all that, the initial idea seems not so appealing and you lose some interest even before the start. So my solution is to think everything almost to the end in big-picture, with no driving in details at all. Step down to details for the next one - three months. Go full details for the upcoming week.

Another thing is the "hat" trick. I think I've learned it from John Sommers (SimpleProgrammer) videos. Basically, you totally switch between thinker and executioner roles. He's using a hat for that. Thinking only with a hat on, only execute like an employee without the hat. The only way to switch back to thinking role is to finish the current execution step or bump into a rock-solid wall that would force more thinking.

Those two tricks really made miracles for me, hope they'll help someone else too.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm an INFP. Did this test like 3 or 4 times, always INFP so I guess it's accurate.

jrx7ax6ns8l21.jpg

rdv73xeex1d21.jpg

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
@ChrisV

I've never heard of IPIP, that was quite interesting. Funny that you link Peterson, he's great.

I can't really disagree with anything you just said. IPIP/Big Five are extremely useful for business. Looking into it more, the IPIP is a measurement of development.

Hence it's very useful for corporations and business, as well as to judge people you want to go into business with or be partners with.

MBTI does not tell you anything about development, at least not easily.

If you were to use both, it's extremely useful.

IPIP does not tell you how someone thinks and experiences. It kind of does, but more so it looks at result not how.

I also see how IPIP is much easier to study scientifically, it's not going to change from moment to moment. Whereas MBTI can and for many do depending on setting, like work vs not work MBTI types.

Apparently I have no imagination :rofl:. More seriously, I have little care for fantasy atm so I suppose that is accurate.

What Jung found is extremely valid, he identified 8 cognitive processes. There are more, of that I am certain, but the 8 that he found make up 90% of what most people ever use. Meyers and Briggs then made a system based on them. The system is certainly flawed, but the cognitive processes are still real which is what makes the system useful at all. It's useful for predicting behavior, and for business it's useful for creating groups that can work well together.

As for who makes the money money according to MBTI? That's easy, ENTJ. They forge their own path into the world with structure and order, but pay more attention to what currently exists and is than how things should be according to themselves.

What is most useful about MBTI really, regarding one's self, is identifying the processes, and trying out the different type pairs. It's pretty cool and how each experiences is rather unique and different.

Edit: Regarding T-F and J-P, T-F is how one likes to reason and J-P is what one likes to look at first, reason or ideas. T meaning one likes to use a thinking process and reasons with logic and facts about things and existence, F meaning one likes to use a feeling process and reasons with values and expectations about people and groups. J meaning one likes to first use their reasoning process(T-F) which creates structure and order, P meaning one likes to first use their information process(S-N) which creates new ideas and finds holes in whatever is being focused on. Js tend to want things to make sense and be structured, Ps tend to be artistic and want fluidity and options. J-P is probably the hardest to understand, it's like having a system of beliefs vs looking at every belief individually without any system.

Last edited:

Carrots

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Apr 1, 2013
Texas
I don't think these tests are 100% garbage. Every idea is at least a little bit true. So after your comment, I took the test.

The result I got seemed startlingly accurate, especially when it had such specific assertions about me. But some stuff was wrong. So I tried to find the personality type that seemed opposite mine and surprisingly, it not only seemed accurate, but it had very similar assertions.

I can think of multiple ways you could test the accuracy of this sort of thing, but what really matters is that it's not actionable information. It's just feel-good-ish and self-indulgent. The fact that you're an ENFJ or INTP is knowledge that Chip and Dan Heath call TBU--true, but useless. It's not bad, or stupid, or ignorant to worry about this kinda stuff.

But it is pointless.

I compared INTP vs ESFJ and got completely opposite descriptions.

It is possible for someone to take this quiz, learn how their personality and mind behaves, learn weaknesses and strengths, and ultimately take action to either work on those weaknesses or play to their strengths.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
Has anyone taken the KOLBE test before? http://kolbe.com/

Very good and accurate test [not free]. Good for a team environment as it tells you how others think, how they deal with problems etc. I've taken it, very accurate, and very helpful for me to understand others.

Definitely recommend!

Aimee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 3, 2014
I've done this a few times over the years and get INFP each time. Seems pretty accurate, I think.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
Find some famous people to compare your Myers-Briggs type to here (OK I linked to INFJ 'cos I'm one, you can figure out how to see yours):

http://www.celebritytypes.com/infj.php

My view is that these tests can be helpful, particularly to find what your natural strengths are and perhaps clarify a few things.

I wouldn't apply the results slavishly.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
It is possible for someone to take this quiz, learn how their personality and mind behaves, learn weaknesses and strengths, and ultimately take action to either work on those weaknesses or play to their strengths.

Sure if you feel it is accurate enough. After all it is no different than getting an annual review at work. The positive things, the things to watch out for and the things that need improvement. If you are intent on going down that road why don't you print out the full analysis then get a few good friends/family that know you well to read it and ask them how accurate they think it is. After all isolated self-diagnosis can be a dangerous path to go down. At least this way you will have a second, third and forth opinion to base your conclusions on.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Find some famous people to compare your Myers-Briggs type to

Some of mine are:

U.S. Presidents:
James Monroe
Andrew Jackson
William Henry "Tippecanoe" Harrison
Franklin Pierce
Grover Cleveland
Harry S. Truman
Lyndon B. Johnson
George W. Bush
Other people include:

Elliot Ness
John D. Rockefeller
Bette Davis
Robert A. Taft (U.S. senator, son of Pres. Wm. H. Taft)
Sam Walton, owner and founder of WalMart stores

Kind of cool! ;)

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
ESTJ -Assertive variant
Mind - Extraverted (10%), Energy - Observant (24%), Nature - Thinking (87%), Tactics - Judging (32%), Identity - Assertive (68%).

But I'm glad I trained myself to back off of a lot of things.

Bananas

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 1, 2014
Texas
ITSJ.

Famous ones:

George Washington, Andrew Johnson, Benjamin Harrison, Herbert Hoover, George H.W. Bush, Angela Merkel, Natalie Portman, “Hermione Granger” from Harry Potter series, “Adrian Monk” from Monk, “Dana Scully” from X-Files.

Lots of Presidents on this list.

When I was slowlaning/bootstrapping, I applied for a job @ $10 an hour which would have been a $1 raise. The job also had better benefits than what I was currently getting.

Catch was they personality tested everyone if you passed the initial interview. Which I did. I take the stupid test and I don't get hired for the job which I applied for...but a better one. Turns out the company had paid $200k for a study to figure out the best personality type to work in that specific job. Then waited for someone to apply who could be shuffled there and it was me!

I ended up getting a big raise + bonuses but it was the job that made me realize that I couldn't do the corporate life forever. I quit 10 years ago at age 23 and haven't "worked" since, thank God. The ITSJ personality lists one of my weaknesses as "By the Book" another is "Judgmental" and both are true. I got the job above because why? By the book. I still have, from 12 years ago, the email in my gmail account which says exactly that. So when you all are reading your supposed 'strengths' and 'weaknesses' if you feel they describe you - just keep in mind every cloud has a silver lining and supposed weakness can turn into strength.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
INFJ fits me very well. Right next to Martin Luther King, Mother Theresa, Ghandi! That's the objective in my life. Be a social changer! People have been trying to beat that out of me forever. lol Very interesting it is accurate. Fortunately, right where I'm supposed to be in life pursuing that avenue. Says 2% of adults rare of course. So, that explains why I'm always the odd ball. lol

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
INTJ
Have tested myself 4 or 5 times over a many years...always comes out the same.
Unusual for a female, I gather.

I got INTJ too. We should get married right here since there only are 2% and 0.8% INTJ-s in the world :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.