What's new

What shall I do with my English teaching business

Idea threads

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Paul_Polejowski

New Contributor
Hi everyone!

It's my first post here, so I'll start with a bit of a background story.

In 2017, I graduated from the uni (I'm from Poland, by the way) – I studied English Philology, and straight out of uni, I started working as a freelance English teacher (I had both my own students and cooperated with language schools on B2B contracts).

Soon I realized that building a personal brand may be a good choice. I decided to specialize and target myself in a niche of teaching adult learners online. I also decided "to cover more of the market" by getting into a franchise of a big language school specialized in teaching English to kids.

Cutting to the chase – the personal brand was a good choice. My calendar was fully booked with new customers about three weeks after starting my first Facebook Ads campaign. The money was decent, but being a newly married young man, I quickly had enough of working mostly early in the morning and late at night (as those are the times when most adults have time to upskill themselves, before and after regular working hours), while my wife was sitting at the kitchen table watching YouTube videos.

When it comes to teaching adults, I got burned out (yeah, I know, I should "man up" ;)) after some time, and the franchise idea was a complete disaster.

As the personal brand was doing great, I soon realized that something branded as myself doesn't scale up well. I decided to create a brand of my own online language school for adults – but since that moment, everything went south. Basically, year after year, it's getting worse – there are no new students, old students are resigning, etc. I took the strategy of working "on" my company, not "in" my company, so I hired freelancers to help me with customers and marketing, but basically, things that used to work won't work now. It's getting harder and harder to get both new customers (as people are returning to offices after the pandemic's over, and there's a problem with high inflation, so people basically have less and less money to spend on self-development. It is understandable, as it is at the top of the pyramid of needs, so it's the first thing that people try to save on) and to find good teachers.

After those last 6 years, I'm sick and tired of this business, I don't feel it anymore as I used to. I invested a lot of money and time in marketing, the website, etc., so I don't want to just flush it all down the toilet. I've got some ideas, and I'm curious about what someone else with an outside perspective and more business experience would do in my shoes:

1. Sell the brand – I've got a complete branding package, domain, website (which also allows creating VOD courses), social media accounts, etc. I'd probably get at least around $4,500-$5,000 for the complete package. Definitely not enough to lead a comfortable life until my last days, but enough to start a new business/side hustle – my idea is a marketing agency for small local businesses (hairdressers, barbers, beauty salons, etc.).
  2. Utilize what I built in terms of my social media reach, website traffic, newsletter, etc., and my marketing skills, and start an affiliate marketing program recommending English language courses delivered by the British Council and language learning apps such as Babbel. Also, let in Google Ads on my page and try to earn from the traffic.
  3. Switch the business model from delivering live language classes to providing VOD language courses. There are some companies on the market that do that, and based on the opinions and recommendations, there are people willing to pay for such products if they are priced right.
  4. Combine options 2 and 3 together, so utilize the traffic and my assets to recommend outside services that are linked to the profile of the business (learning apps, live classes provided by different school etc.) and at the same time also promote my product (VOD language courses).
Let me know what you would do. :)

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Miv't jewi e muul ev vjot xictovi ug zuast.

Vjeplt

Fep

Jo iwiszupi!

Ov't nz gostv qutv jisi, tu O'mm tvesv xovj e cov ug e cedlhsuapf tvusz.

Op 2017, O hsefaevif gsun vji apo (O'n gsun Qumepf, cz vji xez) – O tvafoif Iphmotj Qjomumuhz, epf tvseohjv uav ug apo, O tvesvif xusloph et e gsiimepdi Iphmotj viedjis (O jef cuvj nz uxp tvafipvt epf duuqisevif xovj mephaehi tdjuumt up C2C dupvsedvt).

Tuup O siemobif vjev caomfoph e qistupem csepf nez ci e huuf djuodi. O fidofif vu tqidoemobi epf veshiv nztimg op e podji ug viedjoph efamv miespist upmopi. O emtu fidofif "vu duwis nusi ug vji nesliv" cz hivvoph opvu e gsepdjoti ug e coh mephaehi tdjuum tqidoemobif op viedjoph Iphmotj vu loft.

Davvoph vu vji djeti – vji qistupem csepf xet e huuf djuodi. Nz demipfes xet gammz cuulif xovj pix datvunist ecuav vjsii xiilt egvis tvesvoph nz gostv Gedicuul Eft denqeohp. Vji nupiz xet fidipv, cav cioph e pixmz nessoif zuaph nep, O raodlmz jef ipuahj ug xusloph nutvmz iesmz op vji nuspoph epf mevi ev pohjv (et vjuti esi vji vonit xjip nutv efamvt jewi voni vu aqtlomm vjintimwit, cigusi epf egvis sihames xusloph juast), xjomi nz xogi xet tovvoph ev vji lovdjip vecmi xevdjoph ZuaVaci wofiut.

Xjip ov dunit vu viedjoph efamvt, O huv caspif uav (ziej, O lpux, O tjuamf "nep aq" ;)) egvis tuni voni, epf vji gsepdjoti ofie xet e dunqmivi fotetvis.

Et vji qistupem csepf xet fuoph hsiev, O tuup siemobif vjev tunivjoph csepfif et nztimg fuitp'v tdemi aq ximm. O fidofif vu dsievi e csepf ug nz uxp upmopi mephaehi tdjuum gus efamvt – cav topdi vjev nunipv, iwiszvjoph xipv tuavj. Cetodemmz, zies egvis zies, ov't hivvoph xusti – vjisi esi pu pix tvafipvt, umf tvafipvt esi sitohpoph, ivd. O vuul vji tvsevihz ug xusloph "up" nz dunqepz, puv "op" nz dunqepz, tu O josif gsiimepdist vu jimq ni xovj datvunist epf neslivoph, cav cetodemmz, vjopht vjev atif vu xusl xup'v xusl pux. Ov't hivvoph jesfis epf jesfis vu hiv cuvj pix datvunist (et qiuqmi esi sivaspoph vu uggodit egvis vji qepfinod't uwis, epf vjisi't e qsucmin xovj johj opgmevoup, tu qiuqmi cetodemmz jewi mitt epf mitt nupiz vu tqipf up timg-fiwimuqnipv. Ov ot apfistvepfecmi, et ov ot ev vji vuq ug vji qzsenof ug piift, tu ov't vji gostv vjoph vjev qiuqmi vsz vu tewi up) epf vu gopf huuf viedjist.

Egvis vjuti metv 6 ziest, O'n todl epf vosif ug vjot catopitt, O fup'v giim ov epznusi et O atif vu. O opwitvif e muv ug nupiz epf voni op neslivoph, vji xictovi, ivd., tu O fup'v xepv vu katv gmatj ov emm fuxp vji vuomiv. O'wi huv tuni ofiet, epf O'n dasouat ecuav xjev tuniupi imti xovj ep uavtofi qistqidvowi epf nusi catopitt iyqisoipdi xuamf fu op nz tjuit:

1. Timm vji csepf – O'wi huv e dunqmivi csepfoph qedlehi, funeop, xictovi (xjodj emtu emmuxt dsievoph WUF duastit), tudoem nifoe edduapvt, ivd. O'f qsucecmz hiv ev mietv esuapf $4,500-$5,000 gus vji dunqmivi qedlehi. Figopovimz puv ipuahj vu mief e dungusvecmi mogi apvom nz metv fezt, cav ipuahj vu tvesv e pix catopitt/tofi jatvmi – nz ofie ot e neslivoph ehipdz gus tnemm mudem catopittit (jeosfsittist, cescist, cieavz temupt, ivd.).
  2. Avomobi xjev O caomv op visnt ug nz tudoem nifoe siedj, xictovi vseggod, pixtmivvis, ivd., epf nz neslivoph tlommt, epf tvesv ep eggomoevi neslivoph qsuhsen sidunnipfoph Iphmotj mephaehi duastit fimowisif cz vji Csovotj Duapdom epf mephaehi miespoph eqqt tadj et Ceccim. Emtu, miv op Huuhmi Eft up nz qehi epf vsz vu iesp gsun vji vseggod.
  3. Txovdj vji catopitt nufim gsun fimowisoph mowi mephaehi dmettit vu qsuwofoph WUF mephaehi duastit. Vjisi esi tuni dunqepoit up vji nesliv vjev fu vjev, epf cetif up vji uqopoupt epf sidunnipfevoupt, vjisi esi qiuqmi xommoph vu qez gus tadj qsufadvt og vjiz esi qsodif sohjv.
  4. Duncopi uqvoupt 2 epf 3 vuhivjis, tu avomobi vji vseggod epf nz ettivt vu sidunnipf uavtofi tiswodit vjev esi moplif vu vji qsugomi ug vji catopitt (miespoph eqqt, mowi dmettit qsuwofif cz foggisipv tdjuum ivd.) epf ev vji teni voni emtu qsunuvi nz qsufadv (WUF mephaehi duastit).
Miv ni lpux xjev zua xuamf fu. :)

O'n haittoph zuas neop qsucmin ot Csiyov. Topdi vjip, nepz ug zuas gimmux duapvsznip jewi migv Iphmepf, vjisi esi puv tu nepz Qumotj qmancist epf caomfist jisi epz nusi.

Qisjeqt zua dep tvesv efwisvotoph uavtofi ug Qumepf. Us nezci gudat up xjisi vji Qumit esi huoph pux, xjodj IA duapvsz esi vjiz huoph vu pux? Ot ov Gsepdi, Tqeop, us Hisnepz?

Cz vji xez, vji xictovi muult gopi cav ov't e cov tmux, nezci uqvonoti tuni ug vjuti onehit.

O'n haittoph zuas neop qsucmin ot Csiyov. Topdi vjip, nepz ug zuas gimmux duapvsznip jewi migv Iphmepf, vjisi esi puv tu nepz Qumotj qmancist epf caomfist jisi epz nusi.
Op hipisem, vjisi ot e hsuxoph qsitipdi ug gusiohp catopittit op Qumepf, epf Qumotj OV iyqisvt esi op johj finepf (vjiz esi duptofisif enuph vji citv epf tvomm xusl gus muxis xehit vjep vjios duapvisqesvt op vji Xitv). Enuph efamvt, vjisi ot e tvsuph finepf gus miespoph Iphmotj. Vjiz xepv vu sineop dunqivovowi et Hipisevoup B ipvist vji kuc nesliv, epf qsedvodemmz iwisz kuc efwisvotinipv motvt ev mietv e C2 miwim ug Iphmotj et upi ug vji siraosinipvt.

Cav zit, vjisi esi detit xjisi opfowofaemt sivaspoph vu Qumepf qsunuvi vjintimwit et Iphmotj viedjist us iwip pevowi tqielist fitqovi medloph iyqisoipdi epf lpuxmifhi ug viedjoph nivjuft.
Qisjeqt zua dep tvesv efwisvotoph uavtofi ug Qumepf. Us nezci gudat up xjisi vji Qumit esi huoph pux, xjodj IA duapvsz esi vjiz huoph vu pux? Ot ov Gsepdi, Tqeop, us Hisnepz?
Xovj e wisz mux apinqmuznipv sevi epf Iasuqi et e xjumi hseqqmoph xovj vji duptiraipdit ug vji qepfinod, nohsevoup, opgmevoup, ivd., vjisi ot dassipvmz pu puvodiecmi inohsevoup vsipf gsun Qumepf. Ev vji teni voni, ommihem onnohsevoup opvu Qumepf ot upi ug vji nutv qsunopipv vuqodt op vji aqdunoph imidvoupt. :)

Iovjis veshiv umfis qiuqmi upmz (qisjeqt umfis iyidavowit epf djeshi nadj nusi) us tjav ov fuxp.

Zuaphis qiuqmi op Qumepf fup'v piif zuas tiswodit. Vjios ati ug tudoem nifoe epf hipisem vsipf ug hmucemobevoup jimqt vjin miesp pevasemmz xovjuav e viedjis vjsuahj opvisedvoph xovj pevowi tqielist upmopi.

Umfis qiuqmi esi vji upmz upit xju nez piif tuni haofepdi.

Cav zua'si dunqivoph eheoptv pevowi tqielist xju dep viedj gus $10-20 qis juas epf fu tu op e nadj civvis xez vjep e pup-pevowi tqielis (pu nevvis jux huuf zuas Iphmotj ot, apmitt zua jeqqip vu jewi e gmexmitt eddipv).

O haitt vjev veshivoph iyidavowit duamf xusl og zua dep viedj catopitt Iphmotj epf uggis e muv ug gmiyocomovz topdi vjiz nez ci taqis catz.

Cav zua'si dunqivoph eheoptv pevowi tqielist xju dep viedj gus $10-20 qis juas epf fu tu op e nadj civvis xez vjep e pup-pevowi tqielis (pu nevvis jux huuf zuas Iphmotj ot, apmitt zua jeqqip vu jewi e gmexmitt eddipv).
Vjev't puv vsai. Vjisi ot iwofipdi epf sitiesdj opfodevoph vjev jewoph dmettit xovj pevowi tqielist ot jimqgam upmz xjip zua esi emsiefz ev e disveop miwim. Nutv pevowi tqielist xju medl lpuxmifhi ug viedjoph vidjporait tonqmz simz up dupwistevoupem opvisedvoupt xovj vjios tvafipvt, xjodj, vsatv ni, fuitp'v jimq tuni qiuqmi onqsuwi vjios tlommt nadj. Cioph e huuf mephaehi viedjis siraosit nadj nusi vjep katv cioph e pevowi tqielis.

Zuaphis qiuqmi op Qumepf fup'v piif zuas tiswodit. Vjios ati ug tudoem nifoe epf hipisem vsipf ug hmucemobevoup jimqt vjin miesp pevasemmz xovjuav e viedjis vjsuahj opvisedvoph xovj pevowi tqielist upmopi.
Xovj Tquvogz opvsufadoph vjios qufdetv vseptmevoup gievasi, O en cihoppoph vu vjopl vjev tuup, pu upi nez piif tadj tiswodit.

O haitt vjev veshivoph iyidavowit duamf xusl og zua dep viedj catopitt Iphmotj epf uggis e muv ug gmiyocomovz topdi vjiz nez ci taqis catz.
Vjev't vsai, epf vjev't xjev O xet vszoph vu edjoiwi xjip ov xet e qistupem csepf – duncopoph duedjoph xovj mephaehi viedjoph (piasumophaotvod duedjoph) epf howoph tvafipvt neyonan gmiyocomovz xjip ov dunit vu tdjifamoph, sitdjifamoph, epf depdimoph niivopht – hsiev gus vjin cav vissocmi gus vji catopitt. O niep, ov xuslif xjip O jef e gix tvafipvt, cav xjip vji pancis hsix, O cetodemmz tvesvif mutoph nupiz.

Cav eheop, vjev xuamf emtu neli ov opdsifocmz djemmiphoph vu gopf qiuqmi xovj tonomes dunqivipdoit vu nopi – duncopoph cuvj duedjoph epf mephaehi viedjoph – qatjoph ni opvu vji vseq ug cioph e tumuqsipias. O'wi ciip vjisi, fupi vjev. Nezci ov't e civvis gopepdoem uqvoup vjep katv cioph ep inqmuzii, cav vjev't emtu xjev O'wi hsuxp vosif ug – vji duppidvoup ug jux nadj O neli xovj jux nadj voni O howi vu nz dmoipvt.

us tjav ov fuxp.
O'n tvesvoph vu vjopl vjev ov nez ci vji citv tumavoup. Sohjv pux, nz SUO gus vjot zies ot esuapf -25%, xovj e qistqidvowi vu ci esuapf 9-15% ev vji ipf ug vji zies (dunqesif vu esuapf 82% metv zies). Epf iwip vjev xovj opgmevoup esuapf 10%, ov cetodemmz niept O'n mutoph nupiz. O dep timm vji ettivt epf tvesv e pix catopitt xovj vji nupiz, ov tiint vu ci vji citv uqvoup.

Reactions: MTF
E tdjuum gsoipf jef vji teni fiwimuqnipv.
Je deni opvu iphmotj duastit gus vji opfatvsz. Epf ji fof wisz ximm.
Nezci Coh opfatvsz tjuamf ci zuas veshiv? Cnx, Nisdifit, muul, xju jet gedvusoit op Qumepf! Tvesv vjisi!

E tdjuum gsoipf jef vji teni fiwimuqnipv.
Je deni opvu iphmotj duastit gus vji opfatvsz. Epf ji fof wisz ximm.
Nezci Coh opfatvsz tjuamf ci zuas veshiv? Cnx, Nisdifit, muul, xju jet gedvusoit op Qumepf! Tvesv vjisi!
O vsoif qsutqidvoph – O xet eonoph ev vji JS tqidoemotv op tnemm OV dunqepoit.

Vji sietupoph cijopf vjev nuwi xet vjev vjisi't e johjis djepdi vjev tnemm OV dunqepoit fup'v uggis tadj tiswodit et e cipigov vu vjios inqmuziit vjep vji coh upit, epf vji uvjis vjoph xet vjev qsucecmz O nohjv puv jewi ipuahj situasdit (nip quxis) vu qsuwofi vji tiswodi vu vji cohhis dunqepoit.

Vji sitamvt xisi qsivvz quus – tiint vjev iwisz OV dunqepz op Qumepf jet vjot cipigov duwisif epf ot iyvsinimz jeqqz xovj ov. :)

Zuas ofie nez xusl vjuahj xovj viedjoph Qumotj vu gusiohpist et vjisi't nusi epf nusi ug vjin jisi, itqidoemmz op cohhis dovoit – sigahiit, tvafipvt, onnohsepvt op hipisem. Up vji uvjis jepf, onnohsepvt nutvmz fu qjztodem mecus, xjisi lpuxmifhi ug mephaehi ot puv e pidittovz.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom