The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What should I do during my long two hour commute drive to work? 4 hours a day

mateusz24054

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jul 19, 2022
Hey there fellow commuters,

I find myself spending a significant amount of time on the road during my daily commute to work, and I'm getting tired of just listening to music and watching those "get-rich-quick" YouTube videos. I want to make better use of this time and be more productive.

I'm reaching out to this community for some creative and practical suggestions on how to maximize my commute time. What do you do during your long drives to work to make the most of it? Any recommendations for audiobooks, podcasts, or activities that have helped you stay engaged, learn something new, or simply enjoy the ride?

Here are a few things I've considered:

1. Audiobooks and Podcasts: Any specific recommendations on interesting and educational content?
  2. Productivity Hacks: How can I use this time to plan my day or improve my skills?
  3. Mindfulness and Relaxation: Suggestions for calming activities to reduce stress during the commute?
  4. Language Learning: Any language learning resources suitable for commuting?
  5. Networking: How can I use this time to stay connected with friends, family, or colleagues?
I'm open to any ideas and experiences you'd like to share. Let's help each other make our commutes more valuable and enjoyable. Thanks in advance for your input!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

journeyman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 18, 2017
United States
Why is that commute necessary? Is that to an employer, or to your own business? In the first case, you can find another job, in the second case you could just move closer to the business?
The reason I am asking is I think 4 hrs a day is beyond the reasonable commute amount. Even at 2 hrs a day (1hr there 1 hr to get back) in the past, I struggled to manage to fit everything in the day.

Sure you could listen to good business podcasts for 4 hrs a day. Would that move you closer to your goals compared to listening to 1hr of podcasts and working the other 3?

mateusz24054

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jul 19, 2022
Why is that commute necessary? Is that to an employer, or to your own business? In the first case, you can find another job, in the second case you could just move closer to the business?
The reason I am asking is I think 4 hrs a day is beyond the reasonable commute amount. Even at 2 hrs a day (1hr there 1 hr to get back) in the past, I struggled to manage to fit everything in the day.

Sure you could listen to good business podcasts for 4 hrs a day. Would that move you closer to your goals compared to listening to 1hr of podcasts and working the other 3?
The good news is that I will officially be finishing this projet (I am electronics consultant engineer) on the 31/12/2023. I work from home twice a week so I 'only" need to commute two times a week. You are correct though on it being too long and sorry you had to experience this also.

My problem is my location and I cannot personally move since I have a small family and don't want to live apart since I love them very much. I have read Unscripted and am nearly finished with MFL and I feel like I want to go my own way.

Since I am an electronics engineer and I manage a new production line in a factory, I am surrounded by engineers in the office (which are in the 50s and 60s and I am 31 years of age) and factory workers who have no real hope for anything greater to do but to just assemble products for the rest of there working life(not that it is a problem).

I feel like when I am there or have online meetings, I always think to myself, is this really what I want to do and mix with these people? The people I work with don't really love there job, they are waiting to retire and therefore they just want to finish at the factory in the hopes to retire at the age of 64 (French retirement age).

I want to mix with people who have the need and aim to live a life greater than a 9 - 5 job in the hopes to retire (some people love what they do so good for them).

Last edited:

journeyman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 18, 2017
United States
I see. In this case, there is not much time left until December. I wouldn't over-optimize those 3 months or so. Listen to audiobooks, talk with friends/family on the phone, or whatever helps you achieve your goals. There is a books thread in the forum somewhere that will give you great content.

To the point of mixing with more ambitious people, my experience has been that those people typically work more demanding jobs, usually requiring longer hours. So if your current job is a 9-5 job, there is nothing wrong with working an easy 9-5 so that it leaves you with enough energy to work on side businesses.

But yes, you will have to fulfill the need to meet and hang around ambitious people elsewhere. Thankfully, there is no shortage of online networks for this purpose, this forum being one of the best examples.

mateusz24054

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jul 19, 2022
I see. In this case, there is not much time left until December. I wouldn't over-optimize those 3 months or so. Listen to audiobooks, talk with friends/family on the phone, or whatever helps you achieve your goals. There is a books thread in the forum somewhere that will give you great content.

To the point of mixing with more ambitious people, my experience has been that those people typically work more demanding jobs, usually requiring longer hours. So if your current job is a 9-5 job, there is nothing wrong with working an easy 9-5 so that it leaves you with enough energy to work on side businesses.

But yes, you will have to fulfill the need to meet and hang around ambitious people elsewhere. Thankfully, there is no shortage of online networks for this purpose, this forum being one of the best examples.
You are right and realistically I should just listen to audibooks that Fastlane forum recommends.

I suppose I will never meet the ambitious lot in a 9 - 5 only wishful thinjers.

Thank you for your advice and I hope you enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

michaelasg

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 30, 2023
The good news is that I will officially be finishing this projet (I am electronics consultant engineer) on the 31/12/2023. I work from home twice a week so I 'only" need to commute two times a week. You are correct though on it being too long and sorry you had to experience this also.
So, what happens after these 3 months? A new project?

mateusz24054

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jul 19, 2022
So, what happens after these 3 months? A new project?
Hi michaelasg,

It is the job of my consultant manager to find another project otherwise I do nothing and still get paid.

Sorry for taking a while to response.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...