The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What uncomfortable thing did you do this week?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Same here. Recording video/audio is a huge mental block for me! Good luck!
Was for me too. Check out the first video in my AndyTalks thread (linked to in my signature).

Then maybe listen to the fifth "chat" I list in thread "Andy's Other Posts".

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I just released a fiction. I am now miles away from my comfort zone :)

I hope we see more posts like this.

It's not enough to say what uncomfortable thing you'll do this week.

You actually have to do it. Then come back and let us know you did it.

Until you do it, you didn't overcome it, so you didn't get uncomfortable and you're still right where you are.

Nice work @Michał Kóska keep moving forward. Your comfort zone will grow as you do.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Until you do it, you didn't overcome it, so you didn't get uncomfortable and you're still right where you are.

Nice work @Michał Kóska keep moving forward. Your comfort zone will grow as you do.
Exactly.

I've been debating renaming the thread to "What uncomfortable thing did you do this week?"

"Tell me what you've done and I'll tell you who you are."

It's more about what you've done, than what you say you're going to do, want to do, or hope to do.

What uncomfortable thing did I do this week?

I presented my business to a room full of 20 business owners. Presenting wasn't the uncomfortable part. The uncomfortable part was articulating the future I'm building, and why I'm building it.

This isn't an accountability thread. It's not school. You either want to move forward or you don't.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia

Closed the deal with one of the leading internet provider companies in Russia on Friday (mid 5 figure).
I think people who would post this kind of stuff just don't bother, because there is no point in saying you're up to do something and one week later fail to accomplish it (like I did with my SEO article, which I never finished). We just do stuff, it works better that way.

@Andy Black renaming thread would be logical.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thread title changed from:

"What uncomfortable thing will you do this week?"

to

"What uncomfortable thing DID you do this week?"

Remember, this is NOT an accountability thread. IMO, if you need accountability to move forward then your why isn't strong enough.

Use this thread to celebrate getting out of your comfort zone, and to inspire others to do the same.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

to

Remember, this is NOT an accountability thread. IMO, if you need accountability to move forward then your why isn't strong enough.

Use this thread to celebrate progress and inspire others.

Yesterday my biggest client asked for extra commitment from me.

I used the opportunity to pitch an upsell. Haven't heard back since.

Either I lost my biggest client...or by tomorrow I get a $1000+/mo. raise.

It's a risk and It's scary.

But what if the worst that can happen does...and it's really not so bad?

Alternately, what if it works?

Either way, the dice are rolled. Now we play the game.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Went to a toastmasters meeting last night. It's where you learn public speaking. Surprisingly it was very engaging and inclusive. At the end of the session I already built up tons of courage. Every fastlaner should attend one of these meetings.

They're free for the first few times I believe.
Excellent skill to pick up. I was a raised a Jehovahs witness and was till my early twenties. the only good thing I gained from it was public speaking. Used to give sermons in front of crowds of 10,000 or more. Definitely memorable

Sbshields

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Aug 23, 2016

to

I luv the title change. I called ONE prospect. I honestly could have called 5 more yesterday.

I also reached out to a friend to help me create my next online course. He's far more talented than I am and what he creates in an hour takes me weeks. I don't mind asking for help, but interrupting people's lives and taking them away from their own projects bugs me.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Yesterday my biggest client asked for extra commitment from me.

I used the opportunity to pitch an upsell. Haven't heard back since.

Either I lost my biggest client...or by tomorrow I get a $1000+/mo. raise.

It's a risk and It's scary.

But what if the worst that can happen does...and it's really not so bad?

Alternately, what if it works?

Either way, the dice are rolled. Now we play the game.

Well, the results are in, in case anyone wonders...

Just gave myself a $1000/mo raise for 3 extra hours of time.

(Unless I eliminate 3 hours of work elsewhere to make up for it. Then it was free.)

I wonder what kind of raise my comfortable friends got this year.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
I wonder what kind of raise my comfortable friends got this year.

tumblr_nq93fzLhB11tyvhuto1_400.jpg

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I have been thinking about this topic and what uncomfortable thing I would today. I came back and see the topic mentions a weekly thing.

One uncomfortable thing per week is not enough for me. I am a procrastinator and have become very good at putting things off. I need to do something uncomfortable everyday to continue growing my business.

I am calling another lawyer after I post this.

## Note - As I typed the above line, my procrastination kicked in and said why bother? It is 3pm Friday for them, they won't be there. I am making the call.
We were advised to do an uncomfortable thing a day, but we're just asked for a weekly one.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Apr 20, 2015
UK

Signed up and started work in a co-working space today to increase my productivity and focus. Was too content working from home, in libraries and coffee shops. Dabbling ideas and wasting time. I know this will be much more productive as I can get an early start as well.

Though I have no idea why... While going to sign-up, I didn't feel comfortable at all. Thoughts like this were running through my mind:

"What if I'm just wasting my time and money travelling there everyday"
"Am I good enough? What if I fail at my idea? What if I make less than I spend on it? "
"Crap. Now that I'm paying for this. I really do need to work seriously and stay focused."

Logically speaking, the money I spent on the month's membership of the co-working space is absolutely nothing. But hey, we're creatures of emotion, not logic. Finding it crucial that we find the resistance and run towards it. Something I'm working on doing everyday....

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Raised my prices recently. Instead of using "sales" to drive sales I decided to do the opposite. Tell my list that my prices are going upwards. It drove quite a few people to purchase but sales on amazon have suffered a bit. I don't want to be an amazon brand so the new pricing should stick

To hit on what @SinisterLex said below

I had that experience in Germany once. Had to speak a foreign language I didn't speak at all and ended up getting a stranger to drive me home. One of many uncomfortable situations that became exciting as it progressed. In the end everything turned out just fine.

I applied that same excitement to jumping from planes back then too. Sitting on that C-130 with all those Soldiers next to you - head in their hands, praying to live til tomorrow...

Every jump was the same, and I was really scared when I first learned. Maybe my first 10 jumps were scary. Then I remembered I signed up for excitement and fun, and it's more useful to be excited than scared shitless and the emotions pretty much feel the same when you cut them to the core.

After that I got on every jump available and sometimes jumped 3 or 4 times a day. Miss those exciting times. Luckily more uncomfortable/exciting shit can always replace it.

Uncomfortable is only uncomfortable until you call it by another name - fun...exciting...living

The only major difference might be how well you respond in the moment to whatever comes your way.

Easier to dodge a truck when your head's not buried in sand!

I never jumped out of planes but I sorely miss flying around on helicopters over Afghanistan. Exciting, slightly uncomfortable, but from where I sit right now it was a wonderful experience. Printer broken in Asadabad? - time to take flight. Internet go down in Fayzabad? - Let's roll. From the snow covered mountain tops to the assholes on the ground it was always good fun.

Random_0

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 4, 2016
I had a bad dream last night where I woke up to 5 bad online reviews

I need to get out more

But apart from that I've switched up the way I handle my inbound calls almost every week and Increased my average transaction size considerably (& entirely changed how my business operates)

I'm kind of being ruthless with my pricing, at the point where I'm probably having general worse customer satisfaction (1 in 20 customers worse). If I state the first hour is fixed, then the first hour is fixed. Regardless of if my engineers take 15 seconds, the terms are the terms. I can't afford to run my business on wishful thinking anymore or relying on my customers to diagnose their "5 minute job" over the phone in a way that doesn't end up wasting my time, money and patience

Last edited:

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
My uncomfortable thing for the week has been asking for advice and guidance. I'd usually shy away from it, not because I think I know better, far from it! I've just always been a sucker for learning and doing things independently (ie 'the harder way') Tomorrow or next week's will be approaching a relatively large company for some business

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.