The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's your job ? What do you do?

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Sales definitely has its ups and downs. I find the key is to set your expectations low, while hoping for the best.

While I agree with your post nearly entirely I'd like to give an alternate perspective on this particular line. It's not personal against you I'm sure you're very successful.

In short: it's a recipe for disaster. You never set your expectations low otherwise you'll only have low achievements. And the crazy thing is, you'll be satisfied with these lowly achievements! Because they match your expectations!

Here's why I was successful in sales and continuously outsold people. I set my expectations HIGH, very high. I always set them past my old achievements to where I wanted to be and once I reached it I set another, higher, goal. Here's why most salespeople fail or at least never do extremely well. They set low "realistic" goals then when they reach them, they stop, their day, their week, their year is essentially done because they achieved a low goal. By setting a goal out of reach you'll learn to reach further, work harder, sell more, and not stop.

If you're in sales buy: The Best Damn Salesbook. It's amazing.

Set your goals (something exciting) make a plan to get there and break it down by month, week, and day. And you'll reach it.

porky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jun 29, 2013
working in the same factory for 36 years, may sound crazy but hate it, tried to break free many times but never actually had bottle to go through with it,(vinyl repair,paintings from Hong Kong,Ebooks,selling holidays etc etc), but last year something happened which basically told me to stop f***ing about and sort it out, so I have a new idea which I am going ahead with and this time I am going all the way,

have bought TMF on Kindle and am halfway through:

so glad to be here and learn things from better people than me:

cheers Porky

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
I'm a police officer, and have been for five years. My goal is to get into the fast lane and eventually be able to leave my job early and gain financial freedom.

If that never happens, I will retire after 25 years of service HOPEFULLY with a government pension.

I'm going to work my a$$ off to make sure I get into the damn fast lane though.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 15, 2013
My job

I've been doing some business marketing stuffs like that but my company caters many services. It's overwhelming when you see your clients contented or overwhelmed as well when they see you giving them what they have paid for, so all of these will come with dedication and hardwork.

FreshStart87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 28, 2013
New Jersey
Aircraft Mechanic at a major airline, get plenty of time too do research about the fastlane while I'm at work. I don't hate my job, my supervisor just loves to harass.

JPBB

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Aug 24, 2011
Texas
I'm a designer for a DoD contractor. I'm basically a fixer, a troubleshooter; I get asked to help in various projects - especially new projects with no guidebook or procedures to follow.

Pros:
- Interesting and challenging work
- Somewhat flexible work schedule (as long as I work 40+ hours sometime during the week)
- Pay is OK, but I don't see myself doing this for my entire life

Cons:
- There is no exit strategy
- C-level positions are not the progression from my job (otherwise that might be a good place to aim)
- It's slow lane; I'll have to depend on the paycheck my whole life
- no freedom; no independence

Prior to this job I ran a slow lane business for a decade. I essentially created a job for myself. I didn't even know that's what I was doing at the time; I was too busy hustling for new clients, showcasing the work I'd just done for other clients, selling myself. I don't regret it...I just burned myself out with many many all-nighters over that decade.

Next stop: self-published fiction while still working my slow lane job.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
'happily unemployed' working on launching an ecom store selling a new and high in demand product.

before that Worked for a major bank as a processor and junior underwriter (limited authority), had to quit due to shitty management and being forced to do things that just was against my moral beliefs. Made good money, started making hourly in the 20's, left at around 30/hour. Saved most of the money I made so that I could be prepared for a situation like this, probably won't try to find a job again until January :D. Was going to use that money to buy property, but that can wait. Ecomm and apps it is!

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
I am a Beer Pong minor so working really hard on winning those tournaments. It doesn't pay cash but I get the occasional glance from some drunk sorority girls. So yea its a work in progress. I guess that's why its called the slowlane...

Ha I was entertained by that, anyways. I own a web/app development and marketing/consulting firm plus designing my own clothing line and I write books. Hoping to get into real-estate next year and have my second app released, and I still can't legally drink, love the U.S <3

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Stuck in University at the moment. Won't be here too much longer lol
:coolgleamA:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Tactical communications would be reading your emails. Strategic communications would be getting a 4-star to give a speech about how not only would we never read your emails, but if we did, you'd surely like it!

Sadly, my corner of the world deals with much more mundane and boring stuff.

terse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 24, 2013
i work as a clinical pharmacist in a large hospital. the pay is great for only working 40 hours a week. i recently just picked up a 2nd job to make more money, but have realized i need to do something else to get out of the slowlane. it's definitely not a bad gig but it's definitely a slowlane path.

i'm still halfway through the book, but have learned a lot of interesting ideas and concepts. i also have a business/finance background so it'll help me in my future plans. i'm glad i found this forum that will help facilitate each others' fastlane journey.

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
I work as a project manager for a major aeronautic company. Interesting job with a lot of pressure though.
The good thing is that I can organise my day almost as I want which allows me work at the office from 6 to 4 and then come back home to work on my projects until 11 -ish.

napilnat

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 11, 2013
Web Designer. I love designing websites and i just starting a blog. I hope that it will be my fastlane. *crossfingers

high

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 28, 2013
Derivatives Analyst for a Trading Desk. Have been diligently working towards getting a proper Trading Position on my Desk, but new boss has nixed that idea. Spent/wasted six years - changing to middle lane thwarted. So, I will move directly to the fast lane; initially my world crumbled, but this will turn out to be a blessing/opportunity.

benh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Aug 14, 2013
British Columbia
I work in a sawmill as a stacker operator. Basically I run a machine that stacks rough boards into bundles that go into the kilns for drying. It's a repetitive job but I enjoy trying to outstack the other stackermen.

It's a super fast paced job as well which makes work go by quickly. Not where I want to be the rest of my life though lol.

Pedro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 4, 2013
NYC
I just graduated from residency and work as a physician in a private group, salary is pretty decent and is a 10-5 job but after reading MJs book and realizing that I'm in the slowlane I am very motivated to start learning new things to get on the fastlane ASAP. Its been a lil overwhelming since I didnt learned anything business related all those years of medschool and there is so much info out there that sometimes is difficult to know if im in the right path of learning or not. Im looking forward to learn and apply as much as possible from fastlaners in this forum.

Connor

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jan 2, 2012
South Carolina
I'm a commercial insurance underwriter. Been at it for a little over a year- pretty good money, but most importantly I get to learn a ton about contracts and financials, plus we insure all types of businesses, so I have to learn about them (competitors, operations, risks they face, employees, etc.). Still trying to figure out my Fastlane idea and get that going, but I enjoy it (went to school for it so clearly I'm a financial nerd) and not too shabby of a lifestyle.

Always good to hear what other people are doing though!

tineg

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 8, 2013
Slovenia
I was a cashier at retail store, recently. Didnt get my contract extended and so I am unemployed again.

(For 2 winter seasons in a row now, I am a snowboard instructor)

2010-was a webshop manager in apparel ( sports clothes) for a company who is manufacturing, distributing and selling. Got sacked. I loved the job and have done more than it was expected of me.

2009-was a SEO analyst and consultant at friend's firm. Left because of his unfairness businesswise.

because my dad died when I was 19, I received his pension until I was 26. So, life was good until 26/27.

worked for one marketing company, promoting and marketing a magazine. in charge of logistics, cash, people, leading everything...and have done it several times.
worked as a lifeguard at Cedar Point in Ohio.
worked as a YMCA counselor in Wisconsin
did some other short-term marketing, promotion jobs.

studied entrepreneurship at college, studied electronics in HS.

Since 2008 it was very difficult to find a job due to the financial crisis that spread even across Europe. I persisted in currency trading as much as I could. After 2011 I was again into it, joined a group of traders, found myself a mentor. Group fell apart and I moved back home from where I found myself another great mentor and have been trading since, because life style has taken a down spiral here and I am also looking for ways to get out of the country. However, quite difficult to do so, if you dont have any pocket money. Which is also one of the reasons why I see online business a good way to create my own independence.

pbl24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 23, 2012
Chicago, IL
I just graduated from residency and work as a physician in a private group, salary is pretty decent and is a 10-5 job but after reading MJs book and realizing that I'm in the slowlane I am very motivated to start learning new things to get on the fastlane ASAP. Its been a lil overwhelming since I didnt learned anything business related all those years of medschool and there is so much info out there that sometimes is difficult to know if im in the right path of learning or not. Im looking forward to learn and apply as much as possible from fastlaners in this forum.

The medical field is staged to be the next great frontier with regards to technology. Being a physician, you could potentially bring great insight into the areas that are currently lacking from a technology standpoint.

pbl24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 23, 2012
Chicago, IL
I'm a software engineer for a large multi-national company. The work is fairly interesting, but I'm not content with the slowlane. I have a burning desire that is eating away at me to break away from it. It's not that I want to switch to the fastlane, I NEED to.

Capital

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Apr 16, 2013
I'm a software engineer for a large multi-national company. The work is fairly interesting, but I'm not content with the slowlane. I have a burning desire that is eating away at me to break away from it. It's not that I want to switch to the fastlane, I NEED to.
You don't need anything and that makes you sound entitled. You want the fastlane, but you won't die if you don't have it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%