The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why Do We Look At Our Feet?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Sully1994

Business Development @ Sprout Social
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
Today I decided to escape the dark and somewhat dank troll cave I work from, and get some fresh air.

As I was strolling down the street, I realized something about myself. I have a habit of stareing straight down at my feet when I walk in public. Why do I do this? Do other people do it?

I quickly scan the horizon. I live in a crowded college town, so I didn't have to wait long.

It's not just me. Most people are staring at the ground as they walk.

( maybe it's just college kids that do this?)

When I walk toward a stranger on the sidewalk, 9 times out of 10, they will do 1 of 2 things.

A. Stare at the floor, and then lift their eyes as soon as I pass them.
B. Suddenly get a "text" on their phone, and start tapping at their screen. Oh please.

In order for me to look straight ahead in public, I actually have to make conscious effort to do so.
I usually rationalize it away- "I don't want to accidentally stare daggers into a stranger's eyes and make them think I'm a serial killer".

Why do we do this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Ross Morgan

Fortch
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Dec 22, 2015
Valencia CA
trancing into the distance like a serial killer is my preference, maybe people stare at their feet because of a subconscious foot fetish, or because they don't want to look like serial killers... or maybe we want to make sure we know where we are stepping... hmmm...

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I tend to look for boobs and not at my own feet. Or, just at the scenery around me depending what mood I'm in. I might 'see' a person but it's like I look right through them because I'm not really interested in them, I just like the surroundings.

The other day my wife said, "Oh, Ronnie shaved off his beard". I had no clue because he has no boobs.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Some theories:
  • You might be a beta-male. Back in the days when hunting on mammoths with the boys, you had to listen to the orders of the alphas, who, you guessed it, stares at the horizon looking for its prey. You don't even know what to look for, because you're wired to receive orders, nothing more. You don't question this order, you just do.
  • Just like your life, you might be thinking only a few steps forward. Because what lies further scares you.
  • You might be scared of other people and eye contact (related to the first), but what you don't know is that most people are. Do this exercise: get on the streets, and make eye contact with every person you encounter. This time, look far instead of narrow. Will boost your self esteem.
  • You might be nearsighted, go see a doctor.
Sometimes I believe that most misery in this world is the indirect result of low self-esteem and/or damaged egos. Leave the beta club.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I used to do this a lot, I assumed it was a lack of confidence on my part (I had a lack of confidence back then, so the theory fit).

I made a conscious effort to stop doing it and eventually looking up became the new habit. Now I nod my head / smile at everyone I walk by and it's great. Either they smile back (because psychology) or they look away and I feel like I won a mini confidence battle.

Same with crossing your arms - it looks "withdrawn" and is very, very offputting for people subconsciously. It took a lot of effort to keep my arms uncrossed in social settings even if it felt more comfortable or natural. But again - I feel more confident and happier having broken that habit.

These are a few really tiny personal things you can do on the self improvement front that are pretty easy to overcome and motivate you to work on bigger and more important habits.

Sully1994

Business Development @ Sprout Social
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
Doctor Report came back: "Son, according to our test results- you are a complete pussy. Man up". LOL

Thanks for the advice guys. I've actually been working on looking straight ahead, and it's totally true, you do feel like you've won some type of small battle when someone looks away first.

I have a ridiculous amount of confidence over the phone, and it's gotten me jobs I would be otherwise unqualified for.

Now I want to make sure my body language matches up.

Last edited:

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Doctor Report came back: "Son, according to our test results- you are a complete pussy. Man up". LOL

Thanks for the advice guys. I've actually been working on looking straight ahead, and it's totally true, you do feel like you've won some type of small battle when someone looks away first.

I have a ridiculous amount of confidence over the phone, and it's gotten me jobs I would be otherwise unqualified for.

Now I want to make sure my body language matches up.

Read: The Definitive Book of Body Language of Allan Pease. It's not just important how your body language is, but if you can read other people's body language, you can read their minds as well.

BAM

Another boost in self confidence.

Tanisha

Bronze Contributor
Jun 16, 2017
sacramento
Today I decided to escape the dark and somewhat dank troll cave I work from, and get some fresh air.

As I was strolling down the street, I realized something about myself. I have a habit of stareing straight down at my feet when I walk in public. Why do I do this? Do other people do it?

I quickly scan the horizon. I live in a crowded college town, so I didn't have to wait long.

It's not just me. Most people are staring at the ground as they walk.

( maybe it's just college kids that do this?)

When I walk toward a stranger on the sidewalk, 9 times out of 10, they will do 1 of 2 things.

A. Stare at the floor, and then lift their eyes as soon as I pass them.
B. Suddenly get a "text" on their phone, and start tapping at their screen. Oh please.

In order for me to look straight ahead in public, I actually have to make conscious effort to do so.
I usually rationalize it away- "I don't want to accidentally stare daggers into a stranger's eyes and make them think I'm a serial killer".

Why do we do this?

i love monsters inc, its my favorite movie so great profile, i have a theory for why we stare at our feet in public, to me it's more about not wanting to cause ruffles, for example, looking at someone then them getting angry and saying WHAT ARE YOU STARING AT, now for others it could be lack of self confidence, it could be not wanting to engage at that moment, it could be the loss of a family member, stress, exams, overly tired from work we just never know

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
I noticed that I only do it when I run. I'm a subconscious counter, I'll count everything including all of the steps I take. Although when I walk I always stare into the distance and look at trees or clouds. There's so much activity going on and how much are we missing because we are not taking action to observe.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Ha ha ha - really interesting. I once recognised that when I walked in public I used to look at my feet as I walked also, for me it was mostly to ensure I watch where I walk, because in our cities we have these lob-sided high and low aspects of the pavement, so sometimes you have to ensure you look where you're walking or else you can trip; but, after recognising how much I looked down when I walked, I began looking straight ahead, instead of down, and recognised I turned out just fine, so, I just keep at it that way (of course with the occasional 'look down'). lol.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
I never do this. If I'm not busy making eye contact with someone, my eyes are dead ahead.

No idea when I started doing this, but I love eye contact with anyone and everyone. Like a mini buzz.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011

Thanks for the advice guys. I've actually been working on looking straight ahead

in unrelated news a person named Sully landed back in the doctor's office after tripping over the curb in front of him and falling down lol

Maybe it's to see where we are stepping?

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
in unrelated news a person named Sully landed back in the doctor's office after tripping over the curb in front of him and falling down lol

Maybe it's to see where we are stepping?

And then Andrew walks into a lamppost because he is looking at the floor...

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
My friend Ronnie that I mentioned in the post above always looks at the ground but he has the habit of looking for money.... and he DOES find it ALL the time! One night we were standing in line and he said, "There's a $5 bill by your foot". I'll be damned if there wasn't a $5 bill by my foot. 3 minutes later as we were walking to the bleachers he reached down and picked up a $20 bill. He finds money all the time, not just that day. So I was trying to look down (hard to train yourself to do it) as my grandson and I were walking on the sidewalk one day and I promise on my mothers grave..... 5 $100 bills wrapped together laying straight as could be on the side of the sidewalk. So if you are going to look down.... look for MONEY!! :)

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
I believe it comes down to 'we don't want to be judged by another.'

On a quiet sidewalk, if someone is coming up in front of me, I feel the tug in my chest of...

I don't know what it is. It's a tug. Then a mental battle comes up...

Same as when I'm walking with my 2 year old in the neighbor and a car is driving towards us. Do I wave at the car and risk looking dumb, or pretend I spot something in the tree?

We subconsciously believe, if someone is looking at us in the eye, they can see into myself and may judge what they see. So, we shield ourselves unless it's completely necessary.

policebaton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Apr 3, 2017
florida
Definitely had to train myself to not do this, it's a good eye contact exercise to maintain good posture, look dead ahead, and lock eyes with strangers. You'll have many times when you look like you are about to fight someone as some dude and you lock eyes as you get closer and closer... until you just pass.

Happens all the time once you get good at it. Looking at the feet can subcommunicate you don't trust yourself, ie, you don't trust your steps to take you without tripping. good habit to fix now

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.