The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Will apple airpods be a big seller?

YoungBroward

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 15, 2016
What are your thoughts on the airpods coming out? Will they be a sellout? I have a couple ideas but just dont know if many people will be buying them in the first place.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015

InformationH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jun 20, 2016

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
648%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
There's a lot of people upset in this thread. I'm upset too. And I'm assuming that's because we're angry that Apple can create a product with no actual value, and sell out. But maybe that's because we think of value the wrong way.

For a lot of irrational people, the value of the airpods is prestige and being cool. Before, it didn't matter which headphones you had. Now, you can easily differentiate the people that are cool/tech savvy/rich, and those that are using outdated technologies/poor. Are these wireless headphones dumb? Yeah. But do they create a new (albeit stupid) status symbol? Yeah.

So to answer your question: I think they'll sell out. And I think it's stupid that they will.

YoungBroward

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 15, 2016
I really want to take action on the idea I have in mind for the airpods. I just don't know where to start, Do I need someone to make a CAD file? I don't have airpods, would the designer need measurements of them to make a 3D design?

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
Are you aware that the newest iPhone isn't going to have a separate headphone jack?

Apple hardware design is really going downhill IMO.

I have the 2009 17" Macbook and it's way better than any of the newer ones (where i cant upgrade SSD or RAM, small screens, no normal USB ports). I have no desire to upgrade.

And I don't see any reason to upgrade an iphone 4 to any of the newest models either. For slightly more screen space?

I can predict than the iphone 8 will just have a better camera, more RAM (which i wont notice any speed difference on) and different charger port.

They'll probably get rid of the headphone jack on the laptops next.

G

GuestUser155

Apple product design is really going downhill IMO.

I have the 2009 17" Macbook and it's way better than any of the modern designs (where i cant upgrade SSD or RAM, smaller screens, no normal USB ports). I have no desire to upgrade.

And I don't see any reason to upgrade an iphone 4 to any of the newest models either. For slightly more screen space?

I can predict than the iphone 8 will just have a better camera, more RAM (which i wont notice any speed difference on) and different charger port.

They'll probably get rid of the headphone jack on the laptops next.

Not everyone likes coffee.

The people using Apple products are different from the Android, Microsoft, and Linux crowd. I could go on-and-on about "just working" and "image" USP.

In-fact, they're doing a great job with differentiation.

"Every phone has a headphone jack, except the iPhone. Because, it's not a phone. It's the Apple iPhone."

Are people gonna shit their pants about this design decision? Sure.

Are they still going to continue buying the newest Apple products? You bet.

Are jack-less phones and wireless earphones going to be the standard of the future? Absolutely.

Apple's not the first to try this idea. But, they're the first to have the chutzpah (and the brand association of "innovation") to actually follow through.

Think about it. Over the years they've slowly carved out the "Apple" niche from the consumer electronics market.

You've got Microsoft, Samsung, Nokia, Google (et al) vying for the Android phone market. Apple's got its own market.

There have been countless design decisions before where Apple was bombarded with tomatoes for breaking convention (see: Lighting port, trimming features from the MacBook, not having a removable battery for the iPhone, legacying Adobe Flash for HTML5, Apple Maps, iOS 7 overhaul, etc.).

Apple's market share is the highest of any public company, and more than two times higher than the second highest (Exxon at 300 billion, compared to Apple at 700 BILLION). They can afford to do extensive due diligence to make sure their design decisions are adding VALUE. And if their market share has consistently been Number #1, then it's safe to say they're doing something RIGHT.

No other phone provides the same VALUE as Apple. They're more interested in "getting their slice" (see: Samsung and bloatware) than actually being consumer-oriented.

Not to mention, they're actually launching this feature at a great moment in-time: Blue-tooth and wireless technology has been steadily rising for a while now. Apple's just playing smart, while the rest are copying each other and not advancing in the slightest.

P.S The only Apple product I've ever owned was an iPod shuffle, but I've used other people's Apple products.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Those who judge Apple's decisions now, in 2016, don't realize that these decisions were made many years ago.
So many, that nobody even thought of that at that point.
What we consider "future" and what we see "today" - was Apple's "yesterday's idea" 5-10 years ago.

Now a question for everyone:
Do you really think that people who came up with all of it years ago have a single ounce of doubt about what will happen in late October?

Last edited:

YoungBroward

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 15, 2016
What are you trying to do? manufacture some sort of plastic thing that fits over the official earpods?
Well a big problem I hear everyone talking about is they are scared of losing the airpods themselves because it's a separate small thing to carry. My solution is to make a case for the iPhone 6 and 7 that could somehow have the airpod case clip on the back. My only worry is it will be too bulky to have the iPhone and airpods case in the same pocket at the same time. Can you give me some feedback on this idea? Not sure if it's to early to start thinking about a patent,I hope no one steals my idea LOL

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
Well a big problem I hear everyone talking about is they are scared of losing the airpods themselves because it's a separate small thing to carry. My solution is to make a case for the iPhone 6 and 7 that could somehow have the airpod case clip on the back. My only worry is it will be too bulky to have the iPhone and airpods case in the same pocket at the same time. Can you give me some feedback on this idea? Not sure if it's to early to start thinking about a patent,I hope no one steals my idea LOL

Thats kind of cool.

Hey, What about an accessory you'd wear on your head (like a hairband, or some plastic that goes around the back of your neck, from ear to ear)

It would hold them in place more securely when you are wearing them (less likely to fall out jogging/dancing), but maybe you can fold it up and clip it to your shirt or pocket when not in use.

23i72pz.jpg

Maybe just a simple piece of string that goes around your neck to save them if they fall. You can tuck them away under your shirt.

Last edited:
G

GuestUser155

I hope no one steals my idea LOL

Thankfully there are a myriad of solutions from people who've jumped on this bandwagon faster and sooner than you have.

I suggest you:

I hear a lot of "I don't know" and what that tells me is you're not serious. That you're "on the fence." Wanting to "make sure I can make billions from this idea."

Put some work in and you'd be amazed how much you can learn and how eager those that have been around the block will be to help you.

YoungBroward

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 15, 2016
Thats kind of cool.

Hey, What about an accessory you'd wear on your head (like a hairband, or some plastic that goes around the back of your neck, from ear to ear)

It would hold them in place more securely when you are wearing them (less likely to fall out jogging/dancing), but maybe you can fold it up and clip it to your shirt or pocket when not in use.

23i72pz.jpg

Maybe just a simple piece of string that goes around your neck to save them if they fall. You can tuck them away under your shirt.
Awesome drawing! Thats a very good idea and it looks like its cheap and easy to manufacture.

I just did some research and spigen has come out with almost the same idea but it does not have a "safety net" sorta say like the cord that wraps around your neck in your drawing. The necklace type design your drew insures it from falling on the floor.

They say the product is "patent pending" so am I still able to copy the idea because they don't actually have a patent yet?

Attachments

• Screenshot (20).png
    Screenshot (20).png
    158.5 KB · Views: 8

YoungBroward

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 15, 2016
Thankfully there are a myriad of solutions from people who've jumped on this bandwagon faster and sooner than you have.

I suggest you:

I hear a lot of "I don't know" and what that tells me is you're not serious. That you're "on the fence." Wanting to "make sure I can make billions from this idea."

Put some work in and you'd be amazed how much you can learn and how eager those that have been around the block will be to help you.
Thanks, I watched the CENTS video and it really cleared things up. Going to watch it again

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
I love my iPhone 7 plus and will be buying some sort of wireless headphones in the future possibly the airpods.

The EarPods connected to the lightening adapter work great during the time being.

To whoever said they don't see the difference between the iPhone 4 and later motels has to be kidding.

Sure the iPhone 4 will make your calls and check your emails. (I'm surprised it can handle the current operating system unless you haven't updated).

I sold cell phones for 4 years in high school and part of college.

The performance of the later iPhone models is astronomical to the slow and outdated 4.

From the dual lense camera, 128 and 256 internal storage options, faster processor....to name a few of many features added since the 4, apple continuously improves their products.

I think the biggest sell that switched me to apple (iPhone, iMac, MacBook Air) is how easy these products are to use and how they all synchronize with each other. What I do on my phone goes on my computer, what I do on my computer, my phone etc. and while you may be able to set this up through some sort of cloud file sharing program it's just too easy on apple.

Anyways now I sound like a big fan boy but I am. I like the products.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
Sure the iPhone 4 will make your calls and check your emails. (I'm surprised it can handle the current operating system unless you haven't updated).

I sold cell phones for 4 years in high school and part of college.

The performance of the later iPhone models is astronomical to the slow and outdated 4.

From the dual lense camera, 128 and 256 internal storage options, faster processor....to name a few of many features added since the 4, apple continuously improves their products.

I think the biggest sell that switched me to apple (iPhone, iMac, MacBook Air) is how easy these products are to use and how they all synchronize with each other. What I do on my phone goes on my computer, what I do on my computer, my phone etc. and while you may be able to set this up through some sort of cloud file sharing program it's just too easy on apple.

Anyways now I sound like a big fan boy but I am. I like the products.

My iphone4(s) is on the latest ios version & runs every app ive ever installed and the games just fine. The bottleneck is the internet connection speed, not processing power.

2009 Macbook on ElCapitan & it's a machine aslong as you've got a SSD. I havn't even needed to upgrade my 4gb RAM.

The software is the same and the hardware is marginally better. In some cases, it's worse (i'd take the 17" macbook over anything else apple have produced)

I doubt theres much my half-a-decade old stuff can't do that the latest macbook pro can. in terms of performance. I love my 17" model and I honestly think i can keep it going for another 5 years atleast.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
My iphone4(s) is on the latest ios version & runs every app ive ever installed and the games just fine. The bottleneck is the internet connection speed, not processing power.

2009 Macbook on ElCapitan & it's a machine aslong as you've got a SSD. I havn't even needed to upgrade my 4gb RAM.

The software is the same and the hardware is marginally better. In some cases, it's worse (i'd take the 17" macbook over anything else apple have produced)

I doubt theres much my half-a-decade old stuff can't do that the latest macbook pro can. in terms of performance. I love my 17" model and I honestly think i can keep it going for another 5 years atleast.

Not saying your machines do not work. Just saying the newer ones do perform better and it's not just screen size that makes the 7 considerably out perform the 4. To each there own though. Maybe a lot of the newer features are more conveniences than anything else, but I like those conveniences.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014

There is a huge difference in speed of the phone just unlocking between a 6 and 6s... As in noticeably different. To say there is no difference between an iPhone 4 and a 7 is completely inaccurate. If you are happy with your iPhone 4 then awesome but to say a 6 year old phone functions the same as a new phone is just wrong.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Thats kind of cool.

23i72pz.jpg

That's neat

What if this design was stylized with colors, patterns, maybe attach shiny stuff - sell to teens.

Kind of like how everyone buys a case, but applied to the headphones.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
That's neat

What if this design was stylized with colors, patterns, maybe attach shiny stuff - sell to teens.

Kind of like how everyone buys a case, but applied to the headphones.

Thanks, i thought it could be the same kind of white wire cord that normal iphone earphones used, so it wouldn't really look any different than having old official wired ones on at a glance. But different colours or flat style cables (like beats) could be ways to personalise it.

YoungBroward

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 15, 2016
Should I send a message to a ton of Alibaba suppliers of earphones and see if they are able to do what I'm looking for? How can I find a manufacturer?

kytro360

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Sep 28, 2016
Most likely the airpods will create a whole new "niche" of earbuds and everyone will slowly move to using them solely.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.