The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Work on multiple projects at a time or focus on only one?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 5, 2014
Do you guys/ girls think it is better to focus on more than one task at a time or focus soley on one until it is finished?

Say I have 4 goals or projects in mind. Learning a skill, writing, making videos, Getting a certificate or degree, etc.

Have you found it better to work on all or a few of the options each day maybe so you don't get bored with one thing?

Or have you found it to be better/ more productive to pick one thing and focus 100% of your focus and energy into getting it done fast as possible?

I assume there will be people who take viewpoints of both sides so please say your answer, then write a brief story and your opinion on the topic.

Any other thoughts are welcomed :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I'd like to take two standpoints to this.

If you're going to start a business, I believe working on only 1 or 2 things is the best way to go. Make sure you get the tasks done, that need to be completed to move forward in your business.

However, when you're talking about you're specific projects, I don't see the problem in focusing on 2 or more projects. Most people have a difficult time only focusing on one project for an extended period of time. Switch things up a bit, and you may be able to make it though the entire process before you get burnt out.

Of course, don't try TOO many projects at once though. Trying to juggle a degree AND learning an entirely new skill while making video content on the side might be to much. One of the 3 is bound to fall short.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 5, 2014
Most of my projects take time. I have to be on several at once.
The time thing for each project was something that I was thinking about as well.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 5, 2014
I'd like to take two standpoints to this.

If you're going to start a business, I believe working on only 1 or 2 things is the best way to go. Make sure you get the tasks done, that need to be completed to move forward in your business.

However, when you're talking about you're specific projects, I don't see the problem in focusing on 2 or more projects. Most people have a difficult time only focusing on one project for an extended period of time. Switch things up a bit, and you may be able to make it though the entire process before you get burnt out.

Of course, don't try TOO many projects at once though. Trying to juggle a degree AND learning an entirely new skill while making video content on the side might be to much. One of the 3 is bound to fall short.
Really good perspective thanks. I agree with everything you said here.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
648%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I'll address your question solely focusing on making money (1 goal). If you have multiple goals, then you need to decide what matters most, prioritize, and decide if the combination of achieving those goals is great than achieving just one (for example: getting some money + being a cool guy > getting a crapton of money).

Let's say you're starting out. Then I'd say you're better off working on several businesses. Why? Because it makes it easier to find the business that fills the greatest need. Once you find the #1 business, you're on a much faster path towards creating wealth.

But let's say you already have a business that makes you $100k per year.

Does it make sense to start another business?

Sometimes yes. Most of the time no.

Often, the effort of growing your business by 10%, is lower than starting a new business that goes from $0 to $10k.

At 10%, your main business is now making $110k. Then add another 10%, and it's making $121k. Add another 10%, and you're making $133.1k. Start at $100k, grow by 10% ten times, and you're making over a quarter million. The money you make exponentiates -- even though you're applying the same effort that you'd apply to make your first $10k.

Caveat: If you can set up a business that operates without you, then you can operate more than one at a time.

P.s. @MTF has a great post on the topic on the Inside.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 5, 2014
I'll address your question solely focusing on making money (1 goal). If you have multiple goals, then you need to decide what matters most, prioritize, and decide if the combination of achieving those goals is great than achieving just one (for example: getting some money + being a cool guy > getting a crapton of money).

Let's say you're starting out. Then I'd say you're better off working on several businesses. Why? Because it makes it easier to find the business that fills the greatest need. Once you find the #1 business, you're on a much faster path towards creating wealth.

But let's say you already have a business that makes you $100k per year.

Does it make sense to start another business?

Sometimes yes. Most of the time no.

Often, the effort of growing your business by 10%, is lower than starting a new business that goes from $0 to $10k.

At 10%, your main business is now making $110k. Then add another 10%, and it's making $121k. Add another 10%, and you're making $133.1k. Start at $100k, grow by 10% ten times, and you're making over a quarter million. The money you make exponentiates -- even though you're applying the same effort that you'd apply to make your first $10k.

Caveat: If you can set up a business that operates without you, then you can operate more than one at a time.

P.s. @MTF has a great post on the topic on the Inside.
Awesome XD

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
If you have multiple goals, then you need to decide what matters most, prioritize, and decide if the combination of achieving those goals is great than achieving just one (for example: getting some money + being a cool guy > getting a crapton of money).

That's basically my thought on it as well.

If it's a 100% clear cut answer I'd say focus on just one thing, but in reality it's not always so black & white.

More realistically I say try to narrow down to a couple/few high priority endeavors and then choose the most actionable/profitable/scalable/productive use and give that the lion's share of your available time.

10 hour day =

6 - 8 (and sometimes all 10) hours on main and most productive/profitable use of time
2 - 4 hours developing skills that will create better opportunities in the future and increase productivity immediately

But those 2 - 4 hours need to be something with real potential that will help you achieve your goals otherwise you're just robbing that time from a good productive endeavor.

If you haven't already, check out the book "The One Thing". It's all about this 'best use of time' and 'getting serious results' type of topic.

Edit: typo

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've been thinking about this a lot recently.

I *like* doing lots of things simultaneously, and flat out.

It suits me.

Also, as @jon.a said, all these projects take time anyway, so focusing on one would mean a lot of waiting involved.

I learn and make progress the quickest by massive activity and regular moments of reflection (on what I've *done*, not what I plan to do).

Saying that, all the projects take me in the same direction. They all have a common theme.

For example, I've had many clients and projects in the last few years, but they have all been about generating leads and sales for clients/customers.

As I learn more, I naturally get more focused on what works, as I drop what doesn't.

It's as @AgainstAllOdds says.

The graphic in the Dan Sullivan video linked to in this thread *really* helped me:
(In that thread, I come to my own conclusion about whether to diversify or focus.)

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I can only do multiple things at the same time, that's why I'm not a robot.

There is only ever one moment and that moment is the moment you have now. So make sure whichever project you are working on, you are completely focused in the now moment, and not all the other projects you have going on.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
I did a study on multi-tasking versus focusing-on-one-thing for one of my psychology classes in grad school.

Scientific data overwhelmingly shows that multi-tasking is detrimental to productivity and raises your body's stress level, affects brain chemistry, etc.

However, there are certain individuals who excel at multi-tasking (who are actually highly productive) but as one of these studies mentions, its only about 2% of the population who are truly gifted to do that. Everyone else 'thinks' they are good at doing multiple things but they are actually not.

Working on several businesses at one time is multi-tasking in a heavy way, especially when you are trying to start them all from an embryonic state. You can't give 100% of your attention to 5 different things at the same time.

You can HAVE multiple businesses, but it's best to start them one at a time, and once you have them up and running it's a matter of maintenance which is a little different, and that's do-able.

We live in a world where we are almost forced to multi-task on a daily basis, but I personally do much better focusing on one thing at a time.

Just a few of many studies:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/brain-wise/201209/the-true-cost-multi-tasking

https://hbr.org/2012/03/the-magic-of-doing-one-thing-a.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2013/05/08/why-single-tasking-makes-you-smarter/#141010011b5c

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/09/health/your-brain-multitasking/

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.