The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would anyone be willing to teach a newbie copywriting?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Cooper C.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 12, 2015
I have heard that copywriting is good for making money online, so I want to try it out but I have nowhere to start and no one to teach me. Would anyone be willing to take on a student with no background in this stuff?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CSRelentless

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Feb 1, 2015
Last edited by a moderator:

JDawg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Dec 31, 2015
United States
Hey man! While I'm not able to coach you, I thought I'd give you somewhere to start: https://www.quicksprout.com/the-definitive-guide-to-copywriting/

This is a pretty comprehensive guide to copywriting, and should help you get the ball rolling.

It's written by Neil Patel, who is a wizard in the world of SEO & a very accomplished digital marketer.

EDIT: There are also some great resources on the forum as mentioned above. Check those out for sure.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I have heard that copywriting is good for making money online, so I want to try it out but I have nowhere to start and no one to teach me. Would anyone be willing to take on a student with no background in this stuff?

I'd start with this book:

How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie

It's not a copywriting book, but it does teach the basics of understanding people.

That's more important in modern copywriting than anything you'll find in a course, or most copywriting books.

After that I'd spend time learning creative writing, especially short stories.

I learned a lot in that area from this book:

The Cheater's Guide to Writing Erotic Romance - Morgan Hawke

From there you'll be well prepared to start getting writing gigs on Upwork or elsewhere.

First learn how to write. Then learn how to write copy.

Testament

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 11, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Curses! Everyone beat me to every book/thread I was going to list! Ah, well...guess you'll just have to settle for some of the best content imaginable to learn how to write copy.

Actually, I think as a last ditch effort to look cool (and help you on your journey) I'll recommend this video by Frank Kern about discovering what people truly desire on the surface (and deep below it):

@SinisterLex : Very interesting take on learning to write good copy. Do you have any other outside-the-box reading (or otherwise) recommendations for learning to be a better writer?

Chris Veal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 16, 2015
Louisville KY
The usually recommended approach is to hand write some of the greatest sales letters to imbue your subconscious with copywriting. Also, to read the classic books on copywriting such as 'Breakthrough Advertising' by Eugene Schwartz, 'Scientific Advertising' by Claude Hopkins. I will attach a list of books here.

Also, I try to write at least 250 words every morning on a given topic. Some other resources are
www.awaionline.com

Once you are ready to approach a client here is good advice:

www.BondHalbert.com

Attachments

• CopywriterReadingList.pdf
    76.7 KB · Views: 8

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads