The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your take on Mobile applications future

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
i think mobile phone will last for a long time, there is going to be a merge soon i believe, like a amazon kindle sized thing that is an all in one video chat phone and internet, email perfection. Once that happens it will last for a long time i am sure. If people are completely happy with mobile phones that is the longer it will last. there is a large gap in the market, it is very expensive, if someone creates an all in one small and great product with a low price it will dominate immediately.

skyhigh

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Nov 28, 2009
I'm thinking about creating mobile apps, but not sure which platform should i join in. One hand, the andriod is gaining market shares like crazy, but the distributing channel sucks. On the other hand, iphone has a good distributing channel, but losing market share to andriod.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Mobiles apps will always be around and continue to get more popular. It's a completely different concept from computers though. It's a realm of just 'quick fixes'.

Twitter - Quick 140 character updates

FB - Quick status updates, tells you when there is something, and since you know it's short if you have 5
seconds, you can check it.

Games - All the popular games are things you can pick up, and stop as quick as you started.

GeoLocation Apps - Quick just say 'hey I'm here' and it's done. Granted, I think they'll need to add in something that's automatic and takes no effort. Something were if you want in a certain distance it chalks up another visit for you. Although it's probably need to do with once you pay. Since surely there are going to be discounts based on how often you visit, and without paying it's easy to rake up enough visits without buying anything.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is whatever you do has to be something that will:

1. Update the user automatically
2. Be something that seriously takes <30 seconds to start\stop.

It's never going to completely replace laptops\desktops because it's a completely different use. I would never type a post even this short on a mobile. To get something really comfortable, and quick on a mobile requires it getting bigger or add-ons I don't want to carry around. Sorry if this is rambling, I hope it makes sense though..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
Santa Clara, California, United States
If you're trying to get into the mobile app business then my advice is focus more on creating a great application rather than making it cheap. People will pay for a $5 application if it's very popular and adds value to their lives.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I am developing apps these days... we are targeting three, iOS, Android and Win 7 mobile.

If you are not a top developer then I'd focus more on getting a great handle on HTML5. I think only some apps will remain being platform specific, but all the others will follow the 'standard' route and HTML5 provides a lot of functionality in a multi-platform fashion.

I do think we will end up using HTML5 for a simple reason... too much effort to maintain many platforms. Unless you have a big development shop or a very profitable app, it will become really expensive to maintain multiple platforms.

If you are is more niche then marrying with just one platform makes sense (think 'graphic design and macs', for example, or networking/security apps and Linux).

But, that is just my opinion, and I have a great track record of being wrong :D

Good luck, and please do let us know what you decide.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.