The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why what car you drive matters

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Dude, if they have fu money, they buy fu cars! By definition, those who are very wealthy and have fu money aren't "grinding" as you put it below. Why are you shifting your original argument?

I'll repeat. If you are still grinding as some realtor or "consultant", then I am telling you - keep grinding. A Ferrari won't help you secure sophisticated investors or clients anymore than your shit dirty Opel ;). The focus is all wrong.

Alright, so spill the beans? Did you just buy a super car and having buyers remorse? Is this why this thread exists? :rofl:
Nah bro. You do have a valid point. It just bothers me because I see so many people hating on people who want to own nice things or drive expensive cars and a lot of dudes online say that it's "wrong" or "superficial" to own expensive things like Gary V for instance. He shits on people who want to own nice things, yet he owns a $15m-$20m condo in Manhattan and owns a private jet. Same with Warren Buffet with the jet part.

Did you watch the video?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I understand both sides, but am a more on Gary's side here.:rofl:

Let's agree that people do matter... They are where your money comes from, they are who work for you and work with you. Being a leader is incredibly important. But, you don't need a flashy car to lead and if you are leading me to your "impressive" car, you are leading me away from what actually matters, and I will notice.

The people who impress me most are people that aren't trying to impress me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gTMxOZfNy2g
That dude contradicts himself very frequently. Dude lives in a $20m condo in New York and says you shouldn't own these things!

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
The OP doesn't understand that you aren't driving that car for yourself if you are a realtor, you drive it for your clients. The last thing I want to do is ride around for 4 hours in a Ferrari to look at houses LOL. If a realtor pulled up in that, I'd be like, "I'm driving and I'll follow you."

Let's see, my real estate agent's cars. Well, there's the Infiniti. A Cadillac Escalade. A Chevy Trailblazer. An Acura TSX. A Subaru Outback and a Chevy Tahoe. Nope, no Ferraris or sports cars anywhere close.

The problem here is that the OP is making an extreme argument. You either have a dumpy a$$ car or an exotic. What about a Honda Accord vs a Mercedes S600? I bet you aren't choosing because of the car. I bet you will choose the person that interviewed better. If they both interview exactly the same, Who are you picking @Martin Z?

BTW, I sold my McLaren to a real estate agent that was 21 years old. I highly doubt that he drives it to listing appointments, but I will ask him (not sure if he will answer me) and let you know.
Who cares what you drive it for? It's your car. There's a realtor named Bryan Casella who owned a Lamborghini Huracan when he lived in LA. Now he lives in Miami and drives a Porsche I believe. He's a pretty successful realtor.

The initial point was; the guys are equally skilled AND have interviewed you the same way.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Are you being serious or just facetious?

My real estate agent drove an Infiniti sedan... it was practical, modest, and reliable -- it was understated and demonstrated professionalism.

My other real estate agent drove a Chevy Tahoe, again, practical and relevant to his job, and I'm sure he was worth 8-figures as well. He wasn't interested in making a flamboyant statement on the job. In fact, I'd guarantee you anyone looking for a $5M - $10M house would be turned off at some RE agent rolling up in a Ferrari, but yea, it might impress the guy looking for the $350K starter.
Maybe it just depends on where you live? I mean you live in Utah now, right? Do you even see supercars where you live in that cold?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Nah bro. You do have a valid point. It just bothers me because I see so many people hating on people who want to own nice things or drive expensive cars and a lot of dudes online say that it's "wrong" or "superficial" to own expensive things like Gary V for instance. He shits on people who want to own nice things, yet he owns a $15m-$20m condo in Manhattan and owns a private jet. Same with Warren Buffet with the jet part.

Did you watch the video?
I’m definitely not someone who says other people shouldn’t buy nice stuff. I’m all for it… But I want pure motives with it.

I want the big house, fancy cars, and jet. It’s not about impressing other people though. It’s about what I want and earn. If I find that after I buy a Lamborghini, I go out of my way to have people see me in it, I will hate myself.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Do you even see supercars where you live in that cold?

I see them every day whenever it isn't snowing.

One acre of vacant land in my town costs $1,000,000, so I doubt they're parking their Lambo at their one-bedroom apartment.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
It 1000% changes the way people look at you and do business with you. I can name 5 occasions off the top of my head.
Finally someone with common sense. These guys here on the forum just don't want to admit that, you guys are taking it too literally. It's like if you're dating girls when you're single and she says "Oh, personality matters more than looks". Yet what happens on Tinder? Girls pick guys who look hot. That's natural selection for you. LOOKS aren't everything, the same thing with driving baller cars is not everything. But it does matter and people will pay attention to that, especially when making a first impression.

I know it for sure because when I was in my early-mid teens I used to be overweight and had horrible style, and no girls paid attention to me. No matter how good my confidence was when I was approaching them, they would reject me very often. Now I'm muscular and look very good for my age, and girls give me looks all the time, even the girls who are sort of milfs and have fat husbands, they still look. I see that all the time.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I see them every day whenever it isn't snowing.

One acre of vacant land in my town costs $1,000,000, so I doubt they're parking their Lambo at their one-bedroom apartment.
That's cool to hear. You mean you see them around town or just in your area? Don't you live in a pretty wealthy area, like Bel Air Utah version?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@Martin Z you might not believe me, but in the right circles, everyone can afford whatever car, so it’s not really a flex anymore.

If you show up in those circles in an orange lambo trying to make sure everyone sees it, everyone knows you’re poor.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Yeah the flashy cars may be more of an American thing. I mean, you can obviously see expensive cars in Europe, too, but few people would do more business with a guy in an expensive car, particularly in a corporate environment.
Man I rarely see them in my town. You do see more of them around the Oslo/Viken region(close to the Swedish border). But since the standard of living here is so high, people don't really need to drive expensive cars. Most drive Audi E-trons, Teslas, and some electric Porsches too like the Taycan. But most of the time, these guys are old like 50+, and have a receding hairline. MJ would call them slowlane millionaires.

Plus it's cold as hell in the winter.

You do see more of them in bigger european cities like Paris, London, Monaco(crazy amounts of them), Berlin, Moscow etc. I feel like americans don't show off as much as europeans do, obviously you see them in LA or Miami/Florida etc.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
@Martin Z you might not believe me, but in the right circles, everyone can afford whatever car, so it’s not really a flex anymore.

If you show up in those circles in an orange lambo trying to make sure everyone sees it, everyone knows you’re poor.
Yeah, people love to hate on expensive cars lol.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
634%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Just be honest with yourself and buy the Ferrari. You want it because it makes you feel like a goddamn winner, not because it's a wise purchase.

As for hiring a real estate agent, it's not about who YOU would hire. I assume you people are above average intelligence. You should be making decisions based on how competent you believe they are at their job, not based on their car.

Average people though, they DO decide based on those things. However, many of us do not signup customers in person and it makes little difference what car we are driving. It's still okay to get the supercar. Buy it, finance it, lease it...who cares...it's your choice and it's likely not financially beneficial, but neither is going to the movies, getting the nicer steak, buying a good set of clothes, etc. Life is yours to decide and more important than anything else is that you're following your gut and listening to yourself when you make decisions.

If your business is making 25k a month profit after taxes and you go lease a lambo for 3k a month, now you're bringing in 22k a month, who cares? Go get it, you'll be fine. You still have plenty to pour back in, live in a nice home, go out and eat good food, go on nice vacations, etc. Do you. Live your life.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
463%
Mar 15, 2018
@Martin Z

I agree with Gary V - if you work for a company you hate, in a job you hate, just so you can afford your BMW lease payments? You are doing it all wrong.

Hear me out on this, I don't hate anyone who owns a Ferrari. I think they are cool cars. I also like G-Wagons and my car is pretty damn nice too. It's not about that. My point is that your original post made it sound like for success we should go and buy a shiny cool Ferrari. Which I disagreed with. Meaning your argument was kind of stacked in favour of that Ferrari against a shit bucket Opel.

And another irony is that people who want the coolest car are usually the ones that can least afford it. That desire fades fast when a car goes from "OMG I wish I could have it" to "OK, I got cash to pay for it but why am I not even excited?"

Last year I had a funny story happen to me. I put a deposit on the brand new (just released) Range Rover. We were having coffee and I was introduced to another business owner in my industry. We hit it off, started talking kids, properties, then got a little into cars. Felt pretty good. Then 5 min into it, he goes "Oh yeah, last year I found a new plane for my company, we got it a few months ago, want to see it?" Check-mate. He doesn't own a Ferrari ;).

Once you are successful, do whatever you want with your money. Enjoy it. Just don’t confuse looking successful with being successful. Even the guy in the video warned against being a pretender.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Just be honest with yourself and buy the Ferrari. You want it because it makes you feel like a goddamn winner, not because it's a wise purchase.

As for hiring a real estate agent, it's not about who YOU would hire. I assume you people are above average intelligence. You should be making decisions based on how competent you believe they are at their job, not based on their car.

Average people though, they DO decide based on those things. However, many of us do not signup customers in person and it makes little difference what car we are driving. It's still okay to get the supercar. Buy it, finance it, lease it...who cares...it's your choice and it's likely not financially beneficial, but neither is going to the movies, getting the nicer steak, buying a good set of clothes, etc. Life is yours to decide and more important than anything else is that you're following your gut and listening to yourself when you make decisions.

If your business is making 25k a month profit after taxes and you go lease a lambo for 3k a month, now you're bringing in 22k a month, who cares? Go get it, you'll be fine. You still have plenty to pour back in, live in a nice home, go out and eat good food, go on nice vacations, etc. Do you. Live your life.
Great points dude. A car like that is more of a marketing tool, it's basically a sign of prestige and status(in 99% of people's eyes). So yes, if it makes you happy then go for it. If a guy/girl from Ukraine or India starts getting a little success and buys himself a Rolls Royce to feel better and that in fact turns out to make him/her perform better in all aspects of life, isn't that something good? Some people come from countries with dirt floors and crappy houses, and sometimes all they want is a little swagger, right? If a car helps you, then do it!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
you guys are taking it too literally

Not really.

Context matters, that's the point.

Again, if I invited a friend over and he rolled in with a Lambo, I'd think "Cool! Good for you!"

But if was meeting a new lawyer who was going to prepare a trust for me and he showed up in a Ferrari, I'd immediately question my decision. Again, first impressions matter, both on the austentacious side, and on the junky side (a 20 year old rusty Corolla)

These days cars seem to impress those who are easily impressed. Why do you think "internet gurus" like using exotic cars as props for their BS? Second, you don't need to make a lot of $ to afford (lease) one, so some guy barely making 6-figures a year can front a story that's he's some big financial expert.

It's one of the many reasons why I dumped my Lambo and stopped posing around it (back when it wasn't as abused) because I felt it didn't add to my credibility, rather took away from it. It also would have attracted the wrong audience.

You mean you see them around town or just in your area? Don't you live in a pretty wealthy area, like Bel Air Utah version?

In my area. Yes, where I live is one of the most expensive places in Utah (outside of Park City) which is a combination of rich Mormons and rich Silicon Valley transplants. Still, there are a mix of big mansions here, and small tiny ranches + farmlands (which often sell for $1M+) which is wonderful for the folks who have been here for years. In fact, I just looked at a piece of land here that was 4 acres... they wanted $3.5M for it. That to me is insanity, but someone will pay it.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Yes, where I live is one of the most expensive places in Utah (outside of Park City) which is a combination of rich Mormons and rich Silicon Valley transplants. Still, there are a mix of big mansions here, and small tiny ranches + farmlands (which often sell for $1M+) which is wonderful for the folks who have been here for years. In fact, I just looked at a piece of land here that was 4 acres... they wanted $3.5M for it. That to me is insanity, but someone will pay it.

Slightly off topic but... Were the potential (rich) neighbors a factor in favor of you moving there? Would you move to a place without wealthy neighbors as long as you could find the right house?

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Not really.

Context matters, that's the point.

Again, if I invited a friend over and he rolled in with a Lambo, I'd think "Cool! Good for you!"

But if was meeting a new lawyer who was going to prepare a trust for me and he showed up in a Ferrari, I'd immediately question my decision. Again, first impressions matter, both on the austentacious side, and on the junky side (a 20 year old rusty Corolla)

These days cars seem to impress those who are easily impressed. Why do you think "internet gurus" like using exotic cars as props for their BS? Second, you don't need to make a lot of $ to afford (lease) one, so some guy barely making 6-figures a year can front a story that's he's some big financial expert.

It's one of the many reasons why I dumped my Lambo and stopped posing around it (back when it wasn't as abused) because I felt it didn't add to my credibility, rather took away from it. It also would have attracted the wrong audience.

In my area. Yes, where I live is one of the most expensive places in Utah (outside of Park City) which is a combination of rich Mormons and rich Silicon Valley transplants. Still, there are a mix of big mansions here, and small tiny ranches + farmlands (which often sell for $1M+) which is wonderful for the folks who have been here for years. In fact, I just looked at a piece of land here that was 4 acres... they wanted $3.5M for it. That to me is insanity, but someone will pay it.
That's awesome dude. You deserve it after what you've done for us! I'll mention your book and your name once I become a big name entrepreneur in the future. More people need to be aware of this information and that this "other" life is possible.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Slightly off topic but... Were the potential (rich) neighbors a factor in favor of you moving there?

Yes.

Would you move to a place without wealthy neighbors as long as you could find the right house?

No.

I'm not interested in sticking out ... I view that as the equivalent of parking a Ferrari in a poor neighborhood. You simply become a target by just existing, or a worse, you become a target for the latest media-driven "those evil rich people" narratives.

That said, I live in an interesting neighborhood. My house is located in a pretty standard upper middle-class neighborhood. My next door neighbor has around 1,500 square feet, across the street 4,000, a few doors down its 6,000, I have 13,000.

A 1 minute drive up the hill and all the houses are mega-mansions, for example, this one is about a 5 minute walk from my home, which is very similar to mine.

28EXTERIOR.jpg

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Yeah, I never drove my cars to the Scottsdale cars and coffee because it was a regular exotic.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Who cares what you drive it for? It's your car. There's a realtor named Bryan Casella who owned a Lamborghini Huracan when he lived in LA. Now he lives in Miami and drives a Porsche I believe. He's a pretty successful realtor.

The initial point was; the guys are equally skilled AND have interviewed you the same way.
I don’t understand you. Now you say who cares what you drive it for. But your original post was about having a nice car so people will judge you differently. So I guess you do care why you drive it for.

In your initial point if everything was equal and the only difference between them was their car. I would go with the person who I connected with the most.

The person with the nice car may not get chosen, because as you mentioned, people like to hate on other people with nice cars. The nice car may be a detriment. If you are worried about your car getting you or not getting you respect, just get a middle of the road nice sedan, and you’ll be fine no matter where you go.

In the end, if having a nice car matters to the crowd you hang around with, and it makes you happy, increases your confidence, then get whatever nice car that you want. Just don't think that the nicer car is always a positive thing when it comes to getting a client or closing a deal. It can work against you. Your car along with your appearance can matter. But again, it will all depend on the situation. You can overdress to some meetings and underdress to another one wearing the exact same outfit.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Man I rarely see them in my town. You do see more of them around the Oslo/Viken region(close to the Swedish border). But since the standard of living here is so high, people don't really need to drive expensive cars. Most drive Audi E-trons, Teslas, and some electric Porsches too like the Taycan. But most of the time, these guys are old like 50+, and have a receding hairline. MJ would call them slowlane millionaires.
I see them all day every day, but I do live in Scottsdale. I'm moving to a new home in Vegas later this year in a gated community, I was at the gate waiting for it to open one day and the two cars in front of me were Lambo Urus's. You know if their SUV is a Lambo, that their 2nd or 3rd cars are going to be pretty damn nice too!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Ok, this is an interesting topic that I'd like to share with you fellas, and would love to get your thoughts(or personal experiences) with this.

Here's a video of Brad Lea who discusses a matter from Warren Buffet, who said that what you drive doesn't matter.

Warren Buffet does have a point though. He's known worldwide as the "investing god/god of compound interest" and is worth like $80 billion dollars so it's sort of irrelevant for him at 90 years old. But for us who are below his level or are grinding to become very successful, what you drive will matter(it does great things to your confidence too). Especially if you're a business consultant or a real estate agent and you attend physical meetings frequently, then it matters even more.

Look at it from your perspective. You're selling a house, and two real estate agents pull up who are equally skilled and have equal intelligence in their craft. One pulls up in a beat up dirty Opel Astra while the other guy pulls up in a sexy red Ferrari 488 GTB. And you're the decision maker. Who are you going to pick to do business with? And who would most people pick? I'll pick the Ferrari guy over the former all day, and 9/10 people will probably do the same.

Why?
The Ferrari sends a signal to our brain(consciously or subconsciously) that THAT GUY knows what he's doing, and is probably very successful at his craft so he's more qualified. It shows credibility, status, and success all together. And that car sends a message that success is possible for you too(especially if you're a car guy). Many young kids or guys get crazy when they see one in person. If you've ever driven one or own one, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. There ain't nothing better than waking up and seeing a car like that in your garage.

Don't believe me? Watch these experiments by YouTube pranksters who pick up girls in supercars. They never get rejected by these random girls. You may call them gold diggers or what have you but most people would have done the same thing.

Ultimately a car SHOULD never define who you are, it's just icing on the cake after years of hard work. WHO you are as a person and WHAT you think of yourself is the most important thing, what anybody else thinks of you shouldn't f*cking matter to you. And if a badass automobile will help you with increasing your success, then go for it. Just make sure you can afford it :)
A while back, I called up a guy to come dig a water well for me. It was spring and our "break-up" time when the snow melts and the topsoil turns into a couple of feet of mud. This guy had just bought out the well digging company. He showed up in a low-slung, white Camero convertible and white tennis shoes on my job site. Uh???? Those white tennis shoes and his pants up to his knees quickly turned mud brown. So did his car as it sunk into the mud. He looked so stupid slogging around out there!

I called the friend from whom he was buying the company and informed her that she would have to be on-site in order for me to hire him. She did show up. He did dig the well with her help. BUT, for some reason, he went broke really fast. My friend got her drill rigs back in no time flat and she kept his down payment for her troubles.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I see them all day every day, but I do live in Scottsdale. I'm moving to a new home in Vegas later this year in a gated community, I was at the gate waiting for it to open one day and the two cars in front of me were Lambo Urus's. You know if their SUV is a Lambo, that their 2nd or 3rd cars are going to be pretty damn nice too!
Awesome. You guys also have wide open flat roads for that too up there in the US. Interestingly, Urus has been Lamborghini's best seller so far.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Ever hear of a famous financial book from the 1940's titled "Where are the customers' yachts?"

That's exactly what I'd think if/when someone who sells SERVICES show up for my business with flashy bling. Back in the real world, this is a completely ridiculous example that will never happen since no one is going to arrive in either vehicle. They also won't arrive by paraglider, motorcycle, tuk tuk, horseback, on foot or wearing a Darth Vader costume although I'm really hoping someone will explain the pros and cons of all of those situations.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ever hear of a famous financial book from the 1940's titled "Where are the customers' yachts?"

Anyone remember the "Billy Banker" story in UNSCRIPTED ? Billy Banker takes Joe Investor on a tour of his yacht, his limos, and his mansion in beautiful Greenwich CT. Impressed, Joe Investor asks "Wow, if you live here in absolute luxury, where do your customers live?"

Billy takes Joe on a ride in his BMW 7-Series to Bridgeport CT and pulls down a narrow street decorated with telephone poles, ratty cars, and broken down homes.

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 5.19.44 PM.png

Billy Banker smiles and says to Joe Investor, "This my friend, is where my customers live."

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Anyone remember the "Billy Banker" story in UNSCRIPTED ? Billy Banker takes Joe Investor on a tour of his yacht, his limos, and his mansion in beautiful Greenwich CT. Impressed, Joe Investor asks "Wow, if you live here in absolute luxury, where do your customers live?"

Billy takes Joe on a ride in his BMW 7-Series to Bridgeport CT and pulls down a narrow street decorated with telephone poles, ratty cars, and broken down homes.

View attachment 42608

Billy Banker smiles and says to Joe Investor, "This my friend, is where my customers live."
Isn't that story in your second book, The Unscripted ? But with a little twist too it?

If I remember correctly, you were talking about a guy who was searching for a job in the financial services industry. He drove inside the garage and saw McLarens, S-classes, 7 series' and Rolls Royces parked inside the garage. After the tour around the luxurious building, the CEO or the founder drove him to the street where his customers lived. Did you get that inspiration from this particular story?

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo

That's exactly what I'd think if/when someone who sells SERVICES show up for my business with flashy bling. Back in the real world, this is a completely ridiculous example that will never happen since no one is going to arrive in either vehicle. They also won't arrive by paraglider, motorcycle, tuk tuk, horseback, on foot or wearing a Darth Vader costume although I'm really hoping someone will explain the pros and cons of all of those situations.
Same thing can be said here. When a guru is selling a course. You see the beautiful yacht in the background. And then you take a look at his customer's yachts. YOU NEVER SEE THEM! You see the guru's yacht but not the customers' yachts!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Same thing can be said here. When a guru is selling a course. You see the beautiful yacht in the background. And then you take a look at his customer's yachts. YOU NEVER SEE THEM! You see the guru's yacht but not the customers' yachts!
Are you understanding what that story is saying? It is saying that you are the customer.

In your example, the realtor showing up in the Ferrari is the guru. The guru is using his Ferrari to dupe you into thinking that if you buy his course, or in this case hire him as your real estate agent, that you will be rich and have a Ferrari one day. But in reality when you hire this real estate agent all you are doing is helping him get another Ferrari.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Are you understanding what that story is saying? It is saying that you are the customer.

In your example, the realtor showing up in the Ferrari is the guru. The guru is using his Ferrari to dupe you into thinking that if you buy his course, or in this case hire him as your real estate agent, that you will be rich and have a Ferrari one day. But in reality when you hire this real estate agent all you are doing is helping him get another Ferrari.
No duh, man. And the guru with the Ferrari or yacht probably doesn't own it... either bank does through their note on it or he's renting it as a prop. In my mind, people who are showboating aren't very credible.

Black_Mamba_427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 6, 2022
To all the people ITT laughing about "not owning the supercar" or having it financed - most people I know with supercars have financed them, but that's for the same reason as why they still have mortgages - but could pay them off if they wanted to.

If say you're dumping £250K on an SVJ and you can put down £50K and borrow the £200K at 2% or 8%, but with that £200K you can get returns of 20% - it makes no sense to put all that money into a depreciating (for most cars, especially modern supercars due to their mass production) assets.

If you can make the payments on the car, you can afford it. If you enjoy using the car and driving it and you're into them and can afford it - then go for it. If you're buying it just for social status/credit, then it's probably a dumb idea.

Having a nice (and somewhat rare/exclusive) car definitely opens up doors and gives you opportunities. I've had people come up to me and start conversations when they've seen me pull up in my car and built long lasting connections and friendships because of it.

Besides, 99% of people with exotic supercars aren't using it as their daily. They will have something more normal like a bmw/audi/range rover/merc and then just use the exotic for social purposes.

If you're using a supercar as your daily with the sole purpose of attracting business, then I imagine it will only apply to certain businesses. E.g. if a plumber turns up in a tricked out Lambo I'd be confused. But if you're a youtuber who has a car vlogging channel, or if you're an onlyfans model or something - then I can 100% see how it would have a benefit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.