The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why what car you drive matters

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This ad made me think of this thread...

1695154565120.png
Not saying it is TRUE, but it might be EFFECTIVE.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
It’s wrong of me to judge, to each their own. So I’ll just say that my brain is wired differently. If I hated driving, I wouldn’t buy a car just to join someone for a meet up and road trips. The whole point of me being wealthy is freedom. This freedom is from doing shit I don’t want to do.

I think there are two facets here.
1. The impression you make on yourself
2. The impression you make on others

The best cases are where both facets are aligned. If you love super cars and it makes you feel good about yourself and you use your supercar to network then that sounds like a WIN.
If on the other hand, you hate cars and it makes you feel shitty to buy an expensive car that puts a spotlight on you that that's a LOSS.

I think it's a smart idea to reflect and search for cases where both facets are aligned.
Maybe you heard that Gold is a good sport you network with successful people but you can't stand it... but you like Tennis or rock climbing etc.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I never really cared what car I drove, as long as my car was effective and got me from A to B. I honestly miss my old car, it was going to be paid off. Now I have car payment... sigh lol.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Last edited:

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
May 18, 2023
Here are my few opinions.

Would I like a realtor to pull up in a..

A dirty Ferrari?

1. Probably not, because then they’ll seem too unorganized,

2. if they have enough money to “afford” a FU type of car, then they won’t push the deal to as many clients because they don’t need money.

A clean Ferrari?

(Same as #2 above)

A dirty SUV?

No, same as dirty Ferrari #1

Might consider it because they might want more money, therefore push the deal to more clients

A clean SUV?

Most likely, because they would probably push the deal more and more but they also seem organized.

Overall?

Depends.

Am i selling a run-down apartment unit? Or a mansion?

Is the agent a hard person to agree with?

Do they seem likeable and approachable?

Are they willing to push my deal?

Do they have experience and or a history of being able to sell?

But then again, here in Toronto, greed will probably take over.

If you sell the average priced apartment/ condo unit, you’ll make 1-4% commission.

That is $7,500-$30,000 a unit.

A ton of people would love that kind of money, so then people tend to either tense up or give up.

You have to see how they react when they’re competing for 30 thousand dollars with 30 other agents.

Just my few cents!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Here are my few opinions.

Would I like a realtor to pull up in a..

A dirty Ferrari?

1. Probably not, because then they’ll seem too unorganized,

2. if they have enough money to “afford” a FU type of car, then they won’t push the deal to as many clients because they don’t need money.

A clean Ferrari?

(Same as #2 above)

A dirty SUV?

No, same as dirty Ferrari #1

Might consider it because they might want more money, therefore push the deal to more clients

A clean SUV?

Most likely, because they would probably push the deal more and more but they also seem organized.

Overall?

Depends.

Am i selling a run-down apartment unit? Or a mansion?

Is the agent a hard person to agree with?

Do they seem likeable and approachable?

Are they willing to push my deal?

Do they have experience and or a history of being able to sell?

But then again, here in Toronto, greed will probably take over.

If you sell the average priced apartment/ condo unit, you’ll make 1-4% commission.

That is $7,500-$30,000 a unit.

A ton of people would love that kind of money, so then people tend to either tense up or give up.

You have to see how they react when they’re competing for 30 thousand dollars with 30 other agents.

Just my few cents!
I feel like if you are showing or listing $40,000,000 houses like on the reality shows then you can show up in a Bentley or Lambo SUV.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
But if you were selling the cure to cancer it probably wouldn’t matter what your wore. :smuggy:
When I was a young trophy wife, and later I had my Expert Witness practice, I hit this wall straight on. The people in those worlds know when something is the real thing or a knock-off. I was amazed to find that this kind of stuff really mattered to the people around me. It's the hypocrisy and snobbery of a good facade that drove me crazy. It was looking the part rather than being the real thing.

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Dec 9, 2016
When you interact with customers you adapt to their expectations this way you are most likely to win their business

An anecdote to look at this from another angle:

I met a young guy of 28 a few months ago who had been investing in real estate for several years.

He lived with his girlfriend in a small apartment and drove a modest car a green audi a3.
This was to save money to put everything into real estate.
( in my opinion a smart move)

The houses/projects got bigger and bigger so did the money involved. The owners he wanted to buy a house or a piece of land from didn't take him and his wife seriously anymore because he drove a 10 year old car.

He knew what he was talking about and also had the money to buy properties.... but the perception people had of him was he is a beginner and is not going to be able to make this deal (quickly !).

What did he buy ?
A 120k porsche taycan the perception of the people he has to convince is now clearly changed against him.

He has adjusted to the expectations of the people he does business with.

He drives a porsche Taycan so he has money = this person can buy something from me quickly

I myself drive a clean 2014 volvo v60 station wagon. A modest and decent car that's how I want to appear. Reliable and solid.
I have had customers literally tell me they would not do business with someone who drives a big bmw.

If I can even slightly increase my chances of convincing people to do business with me. By driving a simple car then I will do this.
If I could increase my chances with an expensive car then I would do this too.

Look at who you do business with and how you come across with this.

In my case selling window cleaning jobs with a porsche would be ridiculous.
If I had to convince people that I have money to buy something fast from them then a porsche is perfect.

Ego and business do not mix and the customer is always right their perception is reality....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.