The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A 12-year-old girl walks into a bar and reads "The Script"... Her parents say: Why the long face?

Hello_World1

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 6, 2024
Arizona, USA
So, my name is Jasmine. I am 30 and... let me tell you about myself. *gets on therapist chaise* (MJ said "The more the better." so you ASKED for this! haha)

I am a black woman who lives and was raised in Arizona, USA. Left-handed, the youngest of my class, and the only non-white person in my class/school led me to a life of "to excel is to fit in". I had to prove to my teacher that I was "the MOST obedient, honest, and smart". I had to prove to my friends that I was "the MOST fun and just like them". I had to prove to their parents that I was "a GREAT influence". My childhood embodied my goal: One of the herd, Best of the flock.

But I got a reality shift when my body decided that agonizing bleeding every month was a PERFECTLY reasonable thing to do. I was 12, the rose-colored glasses of ignorant childhood came off and something wasn't right. I realized that adults were all so miserable. Even the "best of the flock" adults I knew of.... seemed so tired and lifeless. Never any TIME for anything. An adult PLAYING with us was a treat. I felt like I was hogtied on a conveyor belt to the slaughterhouse. And I didn't have the WORDS to articulate to my parents why I was suddenly stressed out and terrified about "growing up".

What happens when a 6th grader in 2006 sees the Script for what it is... but virtually no adult knows what the heck she's talking about or how to help her fears? no teacher, no parent, no librarian or pastor... "This is just life, Hun... Work harder and you'll be fine."

So that's what I did. I maximized my comfort and was heavily guarded with my time... I had a death clock appear before me and it was bearing down on me. Got a husband - (dual income reduces expenses, indentured time is saved.) specialized in remote work - (no commute, no fancy clothes - time AND money saved) - bought a house - (rising rent means i need to work more, or go back to school to specialize - more time saved). Then it was a passive income venture, after a passive income venture... "ONE of them has to hit... if I can get the same money from my 9-to-5 coming in, I'll have more time back... I just need MORE time...."

Then I read TMF . And now Im reading Unscripted ... that lanky little 12-year-old with braces WASN'T crazy, guys! It's right there in Unscripted !

So now I'm here...
I am correcting my Money-Chasing habits for habits and language that put helping others first. "I wonder if this will make money" vs. "I wonder how many people would benefit".
I am correcting the brain sabotage that talks me out of acting.
I am in the "looking for opportunities everywhere phase". To see where I can serve others. The more people I serve, the more value I bring the more my income will reflect that.

Is it possible to feel vindicated, excited and kinda lost and scared simultaneously? Like I'm standing on a high-dive looking down.

I want Wednesday to be my favorite day of the week not because of me being "free from work" but just because it's spelled funny. I want to transcend all of that. Like a child in Summer, it doesn't matter if its a Monday, Friday or a Thursday as long as you have your friends and family and the freedom to choose which tree you're gonna try climbing next.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome aboard Jasmine from a fellow left-hander, phenomenal introduction. Is your husband on board for a better life? Or is he of the "this is life, deal with it" mentality?

I spent most of my adult life in AZ and the area is rife with opportunity.

justrob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 11, 2024
So, my name is Jasmine. I am 30 and... let me tell you about myself. *gets on therapist chaise* (MJ said "The more the better." so you ASKED for this! haha)

I am a black woman who lives and was raised in Arizona, USA. Left-handed, the youngest of my class, and the only non-white person in my class/school led me to a life of "to excel is to fit in" be. I had to prove to my teacher that I was "the MOST obedient, honest, and smart". I had to prove to my friends that I was "the MOST fun and just like them". I had to prove to their parents that I was "a GREAT influence". My childhood embodied my goal: One of the herd, Best of the flock.

But I got a reality shift when my body decided that agonizing bleeding every month was a PERFECTLY reasonable thing to do. I was 12, the rose-colored glasses of ignorant childhood came off and something wasn't right. I realized that adults were all so miserable. Even the "best of the flock" adults I knew of.... seemed so tired and lifeless. Never any TIME for anything. An adult PLAYING with us was a treat. I felt like I was hogtied on a conveyor belt to the slaughterhouse. And I didn't have the WORDS to articulate to my parents why I was suddenly stressed out and terrified about "growing up".

What happens when a 6th grader in 2006 sees the Script for what it is... but virtually no adult knows what the heck she's talking about or how to help her fears? no teacher, no parent, no librarian or pastor... "This is just life, Hun... Work harder and you'll be fine."

So that's what I did. I maximized my comfort and was heavily guarded with my time... I had a death clock appear before me and it was bearing down on me. Got a husband - (dual income reduces expenses, indentured time is saved.) specialized in remote work - (no commute, no fancy clothes - time AND money saved) - bought a house - (rising rent means i need to work more, or go back to school to specialize - more time saved). Then it was a passive income venture, after a passive income venture... "ONE of them has to hit... if I can get the same money from my 9-to-5 coming in, I'll have more time back... I just need MORE time...."

Then I read TMF . And now Im reading Unscripted ... that lanky little 12-year-old with braces WASN'T crazy, guys! It's right there in Unscripted !

So now I'm here...
I am correcting my Money-Chasing habits for habits and language that put helping others first. "I wonder if this will make money" vs. "I wonder how many people would benefit".
I am correcting the brain sabotage that talks me out of acting.
I am in the "looking for opportunities everywhere phase". To see where I can serve others. The more people I serve, the more value I bring the more my income will reflect that.

Is it possible to feel vindicated, excited and kinda lost and scared simultaneously? Like I'm standing on a high-dive looking down.

I want Wednesday to be my favorite day of the week not because of me being "free from work" but just because it's spelled funny. I want to transcend all of that. Like a child in Summer, it doesn't matter if its a Monday, Friday or a Thursday as long as you have your friends and family and the freedom to choose which tree you're gonna try climbing next.
Awesome story!

I personally think unscripted should be volume 1 of the book series because you need to read unscripted to change your whole view on life and then TMF super charges it. I have a few pages left of unscripted and I feel the same way you did.

Hello_World1

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 6, 2024
Arizona, USA
Welcome aboard Jasmine from a fellow left-hander, phenomenal introduction. Is your husband on board for a better life? Or is he of the "this is life, deal with it" mentality?

I spent most of my adult life in AZ and the area is rife with opportunity.
Thanks, MJ!

He is on board for a better life for sure. But like most folks, he sees it from an "event-focused" standpoint. I think I will need to lead by example to show him a crumb of success from the process for him to understand there's an entire plate of "event-flavored" cookies here if we keep "process" centered. LUCKILY, this man will follow me down the steps of Hades, if I pursue it with enough conviction. So I never need to worry about him being "in my way". He is a reliable Xerox machine, he can multiply what I bring to him, but I must provide the template. XP

and I agree. We were just about how AZ has so many cultures and communities here that we are VERY spoiled for exposure to different peoples and ways of life. Where else I get authentic Tamales, Shu mai, sweet potato pie, cornish pasty, ramen, Tikka Masala, and Caribbean jerk chicken and Bibimbap all within a 1 hour drive of each other? Maybe... Disney World Epcot's World Showcase?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hello_World1

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 6, 2024
Arizona, USA
Awesome story!

I personally think unscripted should be volume 1 of the book series because you need to read unscripted to change your whole view on life and then TMF super charges it. I have a few pages left of unscripted and I feel the same way you did.
Thanks JustRob!

It could also be the opposite! TMF hooks you with scripted language on the title and plants the seed of what COULD be possible. Then Unscripted slowly reveals what battles you will need to win, to make TMF happen and win the war itself.

It's like being shown the NEW CAR on The Price is Right... then revealing your minigame to defeat.... and hope to god it's not "Plinko" staring back at you. haha

justrob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 11, 2024
Thanks JustRob!

It could also be the opposite! TMF hooks you with scripted language on the title and plants the seed of what COULD be possible. Then Unscripted slowly reveals what battles you will need to win, to make TMF happen and win the war itself.

It's like being shown the NEW CAR on The Price is Right... then revealing your minigame to defeat.... and hope to god it's not "Plinko" staring back at you. haha
You are soo right! I just bought TMF for a friend and it's for that exact reason. I'm not sure if he is ready for unscripted so I'm enticing him with TMF.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...