The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A question of scale and magnitude

Entrepreneur_ed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Nov 5, 2016
In 2 weeks I will be starting my first business. No, it won't be my first wordpress blog or Alibaba ebay store (although nothing wrong with these), it will be an insulation company. I have all the appropriate tools, read countless websites, articles and some books on my industry. I have a notepad full of relevant information. Although I know I still know absolutely nothing, but enough to start.

I have a big concern about scale; essentially I will be an independent contractor for the first 6months/1year/2years. My income is limited to work time put in, the way up is hiring more staff (more carpenters, painters, admin, accountant ETC), however this is only scalable to a point; theres only so much work the business could take on and even getting to that point is a long road. Say to an ecommerce store, your customer count is potentially limitless and sales it also potentially limitless.

Please don't think Im lazy, Im ready to bust my balls and Im going to start anyway for the shot at being an entrepreneur.

The plus side to the business is there is room for big expensive projects, $10,000 type payouts. Of course it would take alot of experience to have the knowledge to do this (still willing to try) and the average job would be $100 ballpark. There is definitely some magnitude to the cost of work but Im still limited to the rare client that needs that AND local business opportunities.

Question : When starting a trade-type business are you essentially handicapping yourself at ever scaling larger? Will you always just be "self employed" and never more because of the nature of the business?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jesset17

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 23, 2016
Boise, ID
A very wise man (@IceCreamKid) once told me:

"Get ONE customer before you start even thinking about making the big bucks.

Sadly, most don't even get to that point. Get ONE. Then let's talk about how you can make fastlane money.

If you can get one, you can get 5. If you can get 5, you can get 50. If you can get 50, you can get 500...you see where I'm going with this lol. Coca Cola sold 25 bottles in their first year. It all starts with just one customer.

Pull the trigger. You'll learn more, faster."

Go out and start working. Can't walk before you crawl, can't run before you walk.

GO GET A SALE!

Last edited:

Entrepreneur_ed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Nov 5, 2016
A very wise man (@IceCreamKid) once told me:

"Get ONE customer before you start even thinking about making the big bucks.

Sadly, most don't even get to that point. Get ONE. Then let's talk about how you can make fastlane money.

If you can get one, you can get 5. If you can get 5, you can get 50. If you can get 50, you can get 500...you see where I'm going with this lol. Coca Cola sold 25 bottles in their first year. It all starts with just one customer.

Pull the trigger. You'll learn more, faster."

Go out and start working. Can't walk before you crawl, can't run before you walk.

GO GET A SALE!
You know what you're absolutely right. Lets focus on today and that first customer before upscaling businesses and accountants. Theres alot to learn, will worry about taking the first step for now. Thank you!

Welder1986

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Oct 7, 2016
You know what you're absolutely right. Lets focus on today and that first customer before upscaling businesses and accountants. Theres alot to learn, will worry about taking the first step for now. Thank you!

I have a service business as well (welding) and for me at least it has taken some time to get my name out there. I have recently been getting out and about more and handing out cards and what not and it is definitely worth it. You never know when you will pick up a job here or there and word travels pretty fast. Good luck. Keep us updated.

DanInSyd

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Nov 7, 2016
I started my own Sign writing business in the UK, and I totally agree that it's a get out what you put in type of work to a point. But your business is only limited by you, and the level of risk you are prepared to take on. Don't think for one second that a small regional business can't become large. In the UK, our largest sign writing company started as a small local business, they expanded by means of franchising, and now has a turnover in excess of $30m from 70 franchises. Vision is all that's needed.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

B V Marlon

Connecting Dots
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Oct 29, 2016
UK
I've learnt in the last couple of weeks that the size of your business is limited only by your vision and your willing to execute. For example, this company started small, self funded and turned over £28 million in 2014:
http://startups.co.uk/the-entrepreneur-rune-sovndahl-fantastic-services/

I don't know when they started, but it gives you an idea of what can be achieved.

Check out the talk in Andy's link above - it's really opened my eyes.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.