The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

A quick tour over my past 6 years.

domdd

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jul 14, 2024
Stuttgart, Germany
Hey all,

Almost 6 years have passed since I started my first company. How did it started?...
My friend and I were members of a bigger brass band. Multiple events are hosted yearly by the band but the earnings of selling food and drinks never reached its full potential. We thought thoroughly how the process could be improved and came up with the idea of developing a specific Point of Sales (POS) cash system for clubs like bands etc. After spending a couple of years of endless developing the Android App, we finally could start testing the Software on multiple events. It did work - Hooray!!!. Additionally, we started selling subscriptions in the Android PlayStore to other clubs.
This could've been a happy ending, but unfortunately new financial laws had been introduced in Germany which were too complicated and we ended up removing the App from the Store.
My friend and I parted ways.

A year later, I meet an old friend from school, who turned out to be a Software Engineer too and we talked about my failed business. He got interested and we met multiple times to discuss different ideas for new businesses. We started developing a social media content planer until we got scared of the daily changing Api policies of the bigger companies.
Again, starting from scratch, we looked for new ideas. Unfortunately, I persuaded him to give the POS idea a new try. After doing our research we found already available software solutions to tackle the financial laws (TSE) and started blindly developing the software. This time we wanted to not only have clubs as our customers but also the food service industry.

No marketing research, no customer research, nothing....

After 2 more years of developing, we finally got the Backend to work but we still didn't know how to stand out compared to our competitors.
This was a huge bump on our motivation. My buddy gave up and I was alone with an unfinished product. Again.

Another friend of mine got the news, that I stopped working on the POS system and had time available for an idea he had for a long period of time. He needed a Software Engineer to develop the App. The idea was to create a platform for coaches where they can create and publish their workout for private customers.
I implemented a MVP within the next 6 months and then we started testing the App in a local Crossfit Box, where he was coaching for years. Unfortunately, the feedback wasn't great. Additionally, he got his first child and his focus shifted. Again, I was on my own. This was 3 months ago.

Currently, I'm working for a big US software company, which definitely is a great place to be and I only could acquire the job because of the knowledge I obtained by starting all the different companies. But this isn't enough for me. Sure, I could work there for the next 40 years and then retire, but only the thought is sickening to me.

I'm still motivated to walk the Fastlane instead of the Slowlane. Shout out to @MJ DeMarco, your book really helped with my vanishing motivation and inspired me!

Best,
Dominik

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

matteblack

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Oct 1, 2023
Last edited:

domdd

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jul 14, 2024
Stuttgart, Germany
None them were failures , you learn you move on.
Dude you aren't the first person who has this mistakes or mishaps , especially with software businesses .
@Andy Black this guy needs your help
You have done the exact mistakes Andy foretells not to do .
Here are some threads that might help you
Stop With The Ideas
For Those Getting Started - Stop Learning & Overthinking. Just Go Off And Do It
There are more threads but I couldn't find them
Thanks @matteblack! I‘m looking into those links.
@Andy Black Yup, can’t hear the words „App idea“ either :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...